Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: Arnhem The Netherlands 15-Oct-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 16, 2017 14:59

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
I think that version of "Satisfaction" yesterday was easily the best rendition I have éver heard of them -
including the 35 other times I've seen them play it live, all live albums of theirs, and every bootleg I ever gave a spin.

"Satisfaction" was completely insane yesterday; to my ears at least.

What a band.

People here at my office think I'm drunk or high or both - and they're not even that far from the truth (though alcohol nor drugs have got anything to do with it - well, not today that is. smoking smiley )

Anyway: on with the show -
Paris (2nd & 3d): here I come!

I read somebody complaining about Satisfaction here yesterday..

It's good to know it was awesome (like it very often is) thumbs up

To Each His/Her Own... No doubt there's equally valid opinions around that are opposite to the feedback I'm giving here -
but you, my friend, can rest assured: nothing to complain about yesteday's version ... it was stellar, Dandeee. smoking smiley

Date: October 16, 2017 15:03

thumbs up

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 16, 2017 15:10

syrel
- IORR and TD were also very good. I like the groove they've got going on IORR;

There's no groove, it's the retirement home version. If they wanna play it slow they have to play like on Love You Live, not like a Chuck Berry song running on fumes like now.

Date: October 16, 2017 15:20

yeababyyea
syrel

There's no groove, it's the retirement home version. If they wanna play it slow they have to play like on Love You Live, not like a Chuck Berry song running on fumes like now.

The original was a bit like that, though.

But I agree, IORR needs a break now.

Date: October 16, 2017 15:32

DandelionPowderman
yeababyyea
syrel

The original was a bit like that, though.

But I agree, IORR needs a break now.

Yes the original was slower but it had a different feel, not the straight Chuck Berry rhythm playing by Keith, Mick recreated the original feel nicely with Foo Fighters: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: October 16, 2017 15:36

I actually think that slowing it down has moved it away from the stale Chuck version, this version reminds me more of ZZ Top.

syrel

PS Love the fact that I post some mildly negative comments after the Stockholm show and get it in the neck, and then get I post enthusiastic comments about the Arnhem show and receive a smug putdown. Gotta love this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 15:39 by syrel.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 15:42

Hi, just got home from hotel and here is my review:

For me it was the 15th concert and I have to say, it was an amazing one! Probably partly because of the fantastic experience in the PIT. There was so much going on on stage, that I didn't know where to look sometimes! Really great. A few things I want to say:
1) Don't let the youtube videos misguide you. I have to say, I was a little sceptic about this one, because of what I saw from previous concerts.I thought they may be over the top, and it might get a little embarrassing. Well, happy to conclude that this was not the case, on the contrary!. The boys really did a great show and are still able to entertain 10 thousands of people, easily. About the youtube video's: it's not comparable to a live experience (especially in the PIT). It also looks like it that the video's are a little bit 'slower' than live.
2) From now on (will there be a next one?), it's PIT for me only. What a great experience! Enough room to move around, not waiting in queues, see the stones in person, not as puppets on a screen. Sure, it's not cheap, but worth the money.
3) To put it bluntly: F*** all critics (also on this forum), and all the Keith bashers. I read your analyses from the concerts, and it irritates me a bit to be hones. Just don't go if the musicians don't meet your standards, find another band to support. This is music, not science. Sure, they make mistakes, I see that too, but it really doesn't influence the experience, it even makes it better. It's great to see an experienced band to see how they solve these things. And let's face it, the Stones never were a band that plays everything flawless. It's their strength, and one of the reasons we all like them. One of the highlights of the show is to see how Mick deals with the Brown sugar 'mess up' from Keith (going to Chuck, see the eye contacts with him and Ronnie). Believe it or not: they are humans too. My message to all criticasters: guys, just enjoy the show and don't judge the Stones by 'technical flaws' and wrong notes here and there, etc. Just 'feel' instead of try to rationalize everything. I had tears in my eyes a few times because I just absorbed the whole experience and enjoyed every moment of it intensely. This even happened to me with 'Slipping away', and a normally don't like this song very much. Now it hit me. That is something I will never forget.
4) The PIT 'management' sucks. There's really no point in first filling up one area, and then let people in the other one, once the first one is full. It just stresses people out, not necessary. Let people decide where they wanna be, and close the area when it's full. Simple as that. PS; we were at Ronnies side, which was great, seems Keith tends to go to Ronnie, now and then.
5) Setlist: as hardcore fans, we want to see and hear 'rare' songs. We got 'Dancing with Mr D', and She's so cold'. They could do some more of these less known ones, but let's realize that 80% of the visitors are NOT hardcore fans. They want to hear the warhorses. I think that's fine. I can't hear MR and GS enough, even after a million times. I liked SFTD as an opener, worked well.

For me personally, this was a top 3 Stones concert. The other 2 are: Landgraaf 1995 (first one for me and immensely impressed), Vredenburg (because of 'club' character and setlist). This one deserves a spot in the top 3 list, because of the PIT experience and the impact it had on me.

I was very impressed and hope to see them one more time next year. Thank you, Rolling Stones for all the great music.

A very, very grateful fan.

Date: October 16, 2017 16:07

syrel
I actually think that slowing it down has moved it away from the stale Chuck version, this version reminds me more of ZZ Top.

syrel

PS Love the fact that I post some mildly negative comments after the Stockholm show and get it in the neck, and then get I post enthusiastic comments about the Arnhem show and receive a smug putdown. Gotta love this forum.

Didn't mean to piss in your cornflakes, the slow tempo on It's Only Rock N Roll has annoyed me since 2012. Overall the Arnhem seems to have been one of the best so far, definately Keith's best playing on Sympathy For The Devil this far. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 16:07 by yeababyyea.

Date: October 16, 2017 16:08

syrel

Yep; welcome to the Pleasure Dome. smoking smiley

PS: don't (ever!) let it 'get' to you in any possible way, Syrel.
Whatever way they're reciprocated: your contributions are valueable, and gratefully received as such.

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: October 16, 2017 16:14

jackflash27

For me it was the 15th concert and I have to say, it was an amazing one! Probably partly because of the fantastic experience in the PIT. There was so much going on on stage, that I didn't know where to look sometimes! Really great. A few things I want to say:
1) Don't let the youtube videos misguide you. I have to say, I was a little sceptic about this one, because of what I saw from previous concerts.I thought they may be over the top, and it might get a little embarrassing. Well, happy to conclude that this was not the case, on the contrary!. The boys really did a great show and are still able to entertain 10 thousands of people, easily. About the youtube video's: it's not comparable to a live experience (especially in the PIT). It also looks like it that the video's are a little bit 'slower' than live.
2) From now on (will there be a next one?), it's PIT for me only. What a great experience! Enough room to move around, not waiting in queues, see the stones in person, not as puppets on a screen. Sure, it's not cheap, but worth the money.
3) To put it bluntly: F*** all critics (also on this forum), and all the Keith bashers. I read your analyses from the concerts, and it irritates me a bit to be hones. Just don't go if the musicians don't meet your standards, find another band to support. This is music, not science. Sure, they make mistakes, I see that too, but it really doesn't influence the experience, it even makes it better. It's great to see an experienced band to see how they solve these things. And let's face it, the Stones never were a band that plays everything flawless. It's their strength, and one of the reasons we all like them. One of the highlights of the show is to see how Mick deals with the Brown sugar 'mess up' from Keith (going to Chuck, see the eye contacts with him and Ronnie). Believe it or not: they are humans too. My message to all criticasters: guys, just enjoy the show and don't judge the Stones by 'technical flaws' and wrong notes here and there, etc. Just 'feel' instead of try to rationalize everything. I had tears in my eyes a few times because I just absorbed the whole experience and enjoyed every moment of it intensely. This even happened to me with 'Slipping away', and a normally don't like this song very much. Now it hit me. That is something I will never forget.
4) The PIT 'management' sucks. There's really no point in first filling up one area, and then let people in the other one, once the first one is full. It just stresses people out, not necessary. Let people decide where they wanna be, and close the area when it's full. Simple as that. PS; we were at Ronnies side, which was great, seems Keith tends to go to Ronnie, now and then.
5) Setlist: as hardcore fans, we want to see and hear 'rare' songs. We got 'Dancing with Mr D', and She's so cold'. They could do some more of these less known ones, but let's realize that 80% of the visitors are NOT hardcore fans. They want to hear the warhorses. I think that's fine. I can't hear MR and GS enough, even after a million times. I liked SFTD as an opener, worked well.

For me personally, this was a top 3 Stones concert. The other 2 are: Landgraaf 1995 (first one for me and immensely impressed), Vredenburg (because of 'club' character and setlist). This one deserves a spot in the top 3 list, because of the PIT experience and the impact it had on me.

I was very impressed and hope to see them one more time next year. Thank you, Rolling Stones for all the great music.

I exactly thought the same thing for barcelona. Very good report!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 16, 2017 16:27

jackflash27

Nice post, I agree. Never let the Stones bashers get to you. I'm sure most of them are
potato's second guessing everything from an armchair....or worse.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 16, 2017 16:30

jackflash27

I love this kind of analysis, thank you!! thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 16, 2017 16:54

35love
Promoman2
She's so COld
video: [youtu.be]

YES! That rocked! High energy the audience singing all the words,
EXCELLENT!

Wow, that was really good! I was almost afraid for them to do something they weren't regularly playing but that rocked!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Cheltie ()
Date: October 16, 2017 17:44

jackflash27

thank you for this report....I agree 110 percent...Yesterday, we all were invited to stones heaven.... and i ve to admit...still i am.. Thank you Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 16, 2017 17:44

Promoman2
She's so COld
video: [youtu.be]

Cool when Mick, Ron, Keith and Daryl convene and some parts just to get thru it. Marvelously done, they enjoyed it ..... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 16, 2017 17:49

While it's totally understandable why they choose to do short tours at this stage, it's kind of a shame. It takes them a while to really hit their stride and by the time they're really delivering the goods, the tour's about over. If they come back to the states I hope the NYC area is closer to the end than at the start!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: goldylocks ()
Date: October 16, 2017 17:53

Back home in Germany from Holland.What agreat journey. It was the 15 - 20 concert of the Stones I have seen.
And: the loudest one EVER. For the the eternal complainers: yes, there was an echo in the hall ( I was front of stage), yes, you could hear the sound of the aircondition in the silent moments. But who cares? Nobody who was in Arnhem yesterday. The band on fire, a strong clear guitar sound. I saw some films on youtube and the sound in the hall was much better than in the videos.

Next to me there was a young woman, maybe 20 years. She was so impressed of Mick Jagger. On one side in here eyes and mimic you could see, the she is fascinated from Mick Jagger ) lifting his shirt, putting the microfon in his trouser and doing this "MJ bellydance", shaking his ass. On the other hand she was thinking: What the @#$%& is this old man doing? He could be my grandpa. Nice experience.
Highlights for me: dancing with Mr. D, she´s so cold, SFM, AND : slipping away ....bye bye Keith maybe I saw you the last time. Anyway, thank you for beeing on earth the same time as me.smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2017 18:19

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Short review.

Very much looking forward to the show. Dusseldorf was great so expected great things. Ambiance in the town was fantastic. Stonesshirts all over the place..

Did not like Leon Bridges. Stadium way to big for him and the sound was horrible. Maybe i will give hem another chance one day.

Then the Stones...

The Stones are a weird band. When they get it together they are fantastic, when they don't they are not so fantastic but still enjoyable. And then there is the third kind of gig were they are really close to getting it together, but they don't by a small margin but it has great effect on the show.

I think Hamburg was a gig where they were not fantastic, Dusseldorf they were fantastic and Arnhem the third group. What made this gig good but not great?

- Keith looked a bit lost at times, missing cues for playing the solo, not knowing how to start just your fool (or ride em on down?). On the plus side this gave us a nice improvisation.
- Did NOT like the sound halfway the field. Moved to the back were it was 8/10
- Some gigs Jagger just seems to be singing a fraction out of pace to the music. Maybe it is the in ear monitor thing.
- Ronnie was great in Hamburg, good in Dusseldorf but not so good in Arnhem.
- Jagger had to work very hard to keep the songs together. I think Jagger is at best when he can focus on himself more.
- For the 2nd show in a row no songs i havent heard live before.

What I did like:

- Keith looking lost were exceptions. Most of the time he was very good (not great like Dusseldorf)
- Dancing with Mr D !!
- Keith's soloing is getting better and better, just the timing is sometimes a bit off.
- Great dancing crowd. Did not expect this.
- Very good SFM (as usual this tour)
- It's the Stones... Even a gig which is not the best is still @#$%& great.

Go see them in Paris if you can.

Nice review, thanks.

So despite Keith looking a bit lost at times and missing cues for playing the solo, etc., overall it seems he played well based on what you wrote and the few videos I've seen. Sad to hear Ronnie wasn't so good - that might have had an affect on Keith looking lost and missing cues. As for Mick singing slightly out of synch, maybe the ear monitor is part of the problem, but also the fact he had to focus more on keeping the songs together as you said which can be distracting.

Overall sounds like it was a good show and most people who were there seemed to have a good time - looking forward to bv's review (if he writes one), as well a review from Dean Goodman.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Edit No reviews posted in the show page yet, but in the meantime many great pics here - Arnhem thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 18:26 by Hairball.

Date: October 16, 2017 18:27

No need to worry about Keith! Just not 100% sharpness, maybe a little to much posing.

And Ronnie was just fantastic in Hamburg, carrying the show. Yesterday he was 'less present'

One thing i loved was that the band was in good spirits between each other. In Hamburg there was just no interaction at all. Changed a lot!

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: October 16, 2017 18:59

yeababyyea

Didn't mean to piss in your cornflakes

OK, thanks.

Separately, on PaintMonkeyManBlack's review:

"Jagger had to work very hard to keep the songs together. I think Jagger is at best when he can focus on himself more."

While I agree with the general principle, I thought that Mick did lose himself A LOT at Arnhem! I can rarely remember seeing him in such a frenzy as he was in Satisfaction (especially), but earlier too (Rambler, and whatever song where he instinctively threw his shirt into the crowd). I thought Mick had to pay a lot of attention at the endings of songs (eg Brown Sugar) but generally last night didn't think he was the one having to hold things together.

syrel

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:01

MKjan

Nice post, I agree. Never let the Stones bashers get to you. I'm sure most of them are
potato's second guessing everything from an armchair....or worse.

Not true, I am sitting in an office chair.

Anyway, to also say something positive. I actually do like the new way Ronnie Wood plays the Start Me Up solo. It's more dissonant, and almost on the edge of in-tune, but I like that edge, it makes it more hardcore.
And I admit, She's So Cold is not bad either.

Posted by: lox ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:32

Well, I guess, most things have been said, so I will just add that I had a great time again! I didn't vote for "She's so cold" but it was an absolute highlight. I am glad that "Dancing with Mr. D" was back in the set-list, this is such a good song. Finally, "Midnight Rambler" and "Streetfighting Man" were fantastic again, maybe not as crazely intense as in Düsseldorf...

Oh, one more thing: Mick spilled water on us! That was cool, so 70s...

Here are some pictures I took:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 19:48 by lox.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:39

Great pictures lox!

Thank you for posting these.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:52

Loved the show yesterday. excellent sound from standing.

- Honky Tonk Women was outstanding,
- She's So Cold is one of my favorite songs and it was fantastic.
- Miss You really rocked the house,
- Keith's set was also very enjoyable.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:59

Beautful Pix lox.
Thanks
jeroen

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 16, 2017 20:13

Just to put the record straight, when Keith starts songs like SMU and JJF with a loud opening chord and then a pause, and then he starts the intro properly, IT IS NOT A MISTAKE. He is doing it on purpose. I love it , it brings the crowd on and its exciting. All this BS that Keith was starting Brown Sugar instead of SMU is rubbish.

Sure he messed up BS and that could so easily have been a restart, but come on one mistake all night, big deal.

Watching Keith and the rest of them enjoy their music puts shivers down my spine, just as Keith's first solo on SFTD and second solo on Slipping Away was also spine chillingly good.

I could put the first 20 seconds of SMU in a loop and listen to it for hours lol.
Power chords and so loud , genius. And people call this a mistake.confused smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Only thing that worries me a bit is that Ronnie doesn't seem so well as when he started this tour. Looks a bit tired, less energetic and his playing is not so strong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 20:25 by stone4ever.

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: October 16, 2017 20:13

What a wonderful day yesterday.
It was my 50th Stones show and I made it to the pit with my lucky dip tix.
In the pit, Ron side, we were as good as front row. Atmopshere was great, everyone was relaxed and in a good mood.
The Stones where really fantastic. My 14year old son catched the very last Ron Wood guitarpick.
What can a diehard Stonesfan wish more for?

...another Stonesshow of course , see ya all in Parissmileys with beer

Thanks everyone for posting this great pictures

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 20:15 by vinckske.

Date: October 16, 2017 20:34

vinckske
In the pit, Ron side, we were as good as front row. Atmopshere was great, everyone was relaxed and in a good mood.
The Stones where really fantastic. My 14year old son catched the very last Ron Wood guitarpick.

That’s great, Vinckske!
I read your post before the show, saying it was gonna be your 50th, and you taking your 14-year old with you... truth be told: I was genuinly hoping for your ‘Dips’ to be ‘Lucky’! And so it turned out to be.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: October 16, 2017 20:43

If you want to see a living juke box? Go to see the Stones!
I've seen them from 1973 till now, 50-60 times? they where no better than in '73, '76, '82.From '90 Urban Jungle tour= commercial. (European Tours)

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: October 16, 2017 20:58

RoughJusticeOnYa
vinckske

That’s great, Vinckske!
I read your post before the show, saying it was gonna be your 50th, and you taking your 14-year old with you... truth be told: I was genuinly hoping for your ‘Dips’ to be ‘Lucky’! And so it turned out to be.

Thanks smileys with beer
You know, the ladies at the ticketdesk must have read it too.smiling smiley
I was there at 4pm. I read somewhere, here on this forum, that you have a bigger chance of getting pit tix when you come a bit later. So I asked them if I should wait a little bit longer. No no, they said a bit mysteriously, we really think you should pick'em up right now, you won't regret it. So I did. Thank you ladies.winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home