Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 10 of 15
Re: Arnhem The Netherlands 15-Oct-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 16, 2017 05:26

Promoman2
She's so COld
video: [youtu.be]

YES! That rocked! High energy the audience singing all the words,
EXCELLENT!

Date: October 16, 2017 06:09

Promoman2
Sympathy for the Devil

Well, it sounds like the Rolling Stones, moves like the Rolling Stones, plays licks like the Rolling Stones - it must be the Rolling Stones ;-)

I would not have thought that Keith could be so good on SFTD but he really can smiling smiley

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 16, 2017 09:41

Judging by videos atleast Sympathy For The Devil and Dancing With Mr. D was the best versions so far this tour, don't know about the rest of the songs though.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 16, 2017 09:53

Harm
Seen Lucca, Amsterdam, Düsseldorf and Arnhem. This was my favorite one

Munich, Amsterdam, Stockholm and Arnhem. I also liked Arnhem best.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 16, 2017 10:34

Fabulous show (tho I've not seen them since circo massimo so a while since I've had something to compare to)
Also wonderful having breakfast at the Holliday inn express in Arnhem today and seeing a sea of stones shirts of various vintages!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 16, 2017 10:45

SFM
[www.youtube.com]

never saw mick actually throw a tshirt to the crowd wow
good to feel these vibes

Posted by: rollingrichard ()

I prefer Amsterdam to Arnhem, but maybe it is because in Amsterdam it was the first time I saw them since 2014 in Belgium. That makes you more enthousiastic, I guess.

And I live near Amsterdam, maybe that helps....

Posted by: rubycatgirl ()

Yes, loved to see so many different vintage shirts in the audience...and in the pit (with our lucky dip!)
Amazing show! Has someone already mentioned Mick humming a bit of You Gotta Move during Midnight Rambler? Or has he done that more often? I thought it was great!

So much energy last night...I'm still buzzing & sizzling spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

'...I said we...we are heaven bound...'

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 16, 2017 10:50

751st
Ive been viewing every SFM performance on this tour and they have been kicking the shit out of it on this tour and this performance is the best thus far. I normally follow Rambler but its not working as well on this tour as previous tours. Maybe they are growing tired of it.

They are playing Rambler the same way they did from 2012-2014, but Ronnie is replacing MT's solo parts and it just doesn't quite cut it.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: October 16, 2017 10:56

Wish he had played it, instead of humming it !

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 16, 2017 11:05

SomeTorontoGirl
Green Lady
Keith at the soundcheck:

From his Twitter feed

Can anyone read the teleeprompter?

The lyrics of 'Dancing with Mr. D' -- large picture -- [Twitter.com] .

Posted by: WilcoS64 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 11:48

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:03

maumau
SFM
[www.youtube.com]

good to feel these vibes

the shirt landed in front of me. Two father-child pairs fought for it for (seriously) half an hour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 12:06 by shattered1978.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:12

35love
Promoman2
She's so COld

YES! That rocked! High energy the audience singing all the words,
EXCELLENT!

Wow! Great stuff! I want that for Paris 3!
-> Why no Tele for Keith on She's so cold? Such an 80ies tune...

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:30

shattered1978
maumau
SFM
[www.youtube.com]

good to feel these vibes

the shirt landed in front of me. Two father-child pairs fought for it for (seriously) half an hour.

And that's why he doesn't normally do it lol...must have slipped his mind for once

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:30

The intro. Brown Sugar. Sigh. At least Keith decided to listen to the rest of the band...and THEN follow them...Sigh.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:34

Bjorn
The intro. Brown Sugar...

On the upside, the rest of the song went great and the other nineteen songs Keith was pretty much on top of his game. It was a very good show. They seemed to enjoy it as much as the audience did.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:46

Good MD version.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 12:46 by powerage78.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:50

Bjorn
The intro. Brown Sugar. Sigh. At least Keith decided to listen to the rest of the band...and THEN follow them...Sigh.

Good job by Ronnie to get things back on track, not sure he would have done that before 2012 ? And yes, there were train-wrecks too before that ;-) I remember a hilarious SFM from 1994 I think where they stayed lost for a good minute, hehe !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 16, 2017 12:57

[www.gelderlander.nl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 12:58 by powerage78.

Posted by: WilcoS64 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 13:01

yeababyyea
Judging by videos atleast Sympathy For The Devil and Dancing With Mr. D was the best versions so far this tour, don't know about the rest of the songs though.

The other songs were also great. Keith only messed up the intro of Brown Sugar, it sounded like Brown Me Up or Start Me Sugar.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 16, 2017 13:29

Great show! My first and only on this little tour. I had Pit tickets so it already was a success from the start.

Highlights and observations: I really noticed the slower tempo's on songs like IORR and Tumbling Dice etc but hey, if you are in your 70's and can perform like they do I'll take it! I really enjoyed hearing Just Your Foll, and Ride 'em on Down but they sound a bit flat. I think it comes from the song structure because they play them great. Dancing with Mr. D was awesome! Keith played some raunchy guitar in open G which reminded me of I Go Wild a lot. I voted for She's So COld so I was very happy with that one. Great rock 'n roll version. Not many solo's in between versions but it sure rocked.
Every time they start Honky Tonk Woman I feel a little bored of it but once they get to the verse I'm singing along and enjoying it because it is just such a classic.
Keith's set was great, good voice, good songs.
I'm always a little disappointed when it's time for the warhorse section because no chance of surprises but I have to say, since 2014 the warhorse section sounds great and fresh to me. Midnight Rambler was great, Gimme Shelter always delivers, even Start Me Up was great. Normally that song sort of takes the tempo out of it but not this time. Keith started the first two notes of Brown Sugar but quickly realized the mistake and launched into Start Me Up. Brown Sugar started of rocky as Keith was one beat behind everyone else but they worked it out.

All in all a very good, very entertaining show. Every time I see them I'm more and more amazed of how they can still perform like that. Truly inspiring!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: October 16, 2017 13:47

Short review.

Very much looking forward to the show. Dusseldorf was great so expected great things. Ambiance in the town was fantastic. Stonesshirts all over the place..

Did not like Leon Bridges. Stadium way to big for him and the sound was horrible. Maybe i will give hem another chance one day.

Then the Stones...

The Stones are a weird band. When they get it together they are fantastic, when they don't they are not so fantastic but still enjoyable. And then there is the third kind of gig were they are really close to getting it together, but they don't by a small margin but it has great effect on the show.

I think Hamburg was a gig where they were not fantastic, Dusseldorf they were fantastic and Arnhem the third group. What made this gig good but not great?

- Keith looked a bit lost at times, missing cues for playing the solo, not knowing how to start just your fool (or ride em on down?). On the plus side this gave us a nice improvisation.
- Did NOT like the sound halfway the field. Moved to the back were it was 8/10
- Some gigs Jagger just seems to be singing a fraction out of pace to the music. Maybe it is the in ear monitor thing.
- Ronnie was great in Hamburg, good in Dusseldorf but not so good in Arnhem.
- Jagger had to work very hard to keep the songs together. I think Jagger is at best when he can focus on himself more.
- For the 2nd show in a row no songs i havent heard live before.

What I did like:

- Keith looking lost were exceptions. Most of the time he was very good (not great like Dusseldorf)
- Dancing with Mr D !!
- Keith's soloing is getting better and better, just the timing is sometimes a bit off.
- Great dancing crowd. Did not expect this.
- Very good SFM (as usual this tour)
- It's the Stones... Even a gig which is not the best is still @#$%& great.

Go see them in Paris if you can.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 16, 2017 14:23

I think that version of "Satisfaction" yesterday was easily the best rendition I have éver heard of them -
including the 35 other times I've seen them play it live, all live albums of theirs, and every bootleg I ever gave a spin.

"Satisfaction" was completely insane yesterday; to my ears at least.

What a band.

People here at my office think I'm drunk or high or both - and they're not even that far from the truth (though alcohol nor drugs have got anything to do with it - well, not today that is. smoking smiley )

Anyway: on with the show -
Paris (2nd & 3d): here I come!

Posted by: nikola0406 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 14:26

powerage78

Does anyone know this guy with the hat? smiling smiley I saw him in Austria too.

Date: October 16, 2017 14:27

erad
751st
Ive been viewing every SFM performance on this tour and they have been kicking the shit out of it on this tour and this performance is the best thus far. I normally follow Rambler but its not working as well on this tour as previous tours. Maybe they are growing tired of it.

They are playing Rambler the same way they did from 2012-2014, but Ronnie is replacing MT's solo parts and it just doesn't quite cut it.

Not quite true. They are playing a slower and a shorter Rambler. Ronnie's lics are fine to my ears.

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: October 16, 2017 14:39

So where was Angus Young?

Packing his suitcase for Paris?

Date: October 16, 2017 14:42

Ah ah maybe...

Date: October 16, 2017 14:47

RoughJusticeOnYa
I think that version of "Satisfaction" yesterday was easily the best rendition I have éver heard of them -
including the 35 other times I've seen them play it live, all live albums of theirs, and every bootleg I ever gave a spin.

"Satisfaction" was completely insane yesterday; to my ears at least.

What a band.

People here at my office think I'm drunk or high or both - and they're not even that far from the truth (though alcohol nor drugs have got anything to do with it - well, not today that is. smoking smiley )

Anyway: on with the show -
Paris (2nd & 3d): here I come!

I read somebody complaining about Satisfaction here yesterday..

It's good to know it was awesome (like it very often is) thumbs up

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: October 16, 2017 14:51

Back home now, and still think this was a really fine show. If Dusseldorf was a 9/10, this was a very solid 7 or 8. Some specific comments:

- SFTD was amazing, gave me goosebumps all the way through. I generally like this as an opener anyway, but last night was definitely the best one I've heard on this tour. The opening lines gave me a sense that Mick was 'on' last night, and that turned out to be spectacularly true. One of the best MJ concerts I've seen in the flesh.
- IORR and TD were also very good. I like the groove they've got going on IORR; it gives the hips chance to rotate.
- JYF and REOD. I will admit to not being totally sold on the blues numbers. I like JYF a lot and dislike REOD quite a lot too, but the real problem for me is that they completely kill the crowd every time I've seen them. But JYF last night was the best I've heard so far - there was a screw up with Ronnie's guitar that caused a hold up; I don't know if his was pissed off but Keith ferociously attacked the song, gave it a much heavier feel to my ears. Enjoyed it a lot.
- Mr D. As I said last night, flawless. Doesn't mean it was brilliant, but it's an unusual song that they put across well. I like Daryl's bass part in this (far more than the tedious solo in MY. Bass solos have as much place in the Rolling Stones as a kangaroo playing an accordian).
- SSC. Was hoping for JMI to hear Keith and Ronnie on backing vocals but, man, they nailed this song, Mick especially. I love when he bends down and sings with his head at the same height as Keith's guitar.
- PIB and HTW - don't remember much specifically about them, but the crowd came alive at this point (they'd been enthusiastic before, but this turned it up a notch).
- Happy - nothing specific, but I'm always happy to hear Happy.
- SA - good, but didn't reach the heights of some other performances on this tour. At the end Keith did a bit of extra improvisation, which was nice.
- MY - sorry, must have drifted off
- MR - played quicker than other shows I've seen on this tour, I think, and better for it. I really like Ronnie's playing on this. Mick was even more manic than usual.
- SFM - has been the highlight every night for me, and the end of this was incredibly powerful (again), though I think there have been better performances this year.
- BS - Yes it began badly (although I quite like the awkward pause after the first two notes of the riff; he's done that a few times this year) but it ended with a bang. BS has been hammed up for years, but I do quite like the drawn out grooving as though Keith never wants the song to finish.
- JJF - I've been critical of JJF on this tour, for reasons I can't quite pin down, but last night I thought it was more like its old self. A decent version.
- Satis - Oh my god, Mick was absolutely freaking possessed at the end of this, channelling his inner Otis. Absolutely brilliant.

As others have noted, the crowd were very engaged all the way through, and the sound was awful (the monitors on the catwalk were on for a lot of the show, even when Mick was not up there. There were on for the opening of SFTD - I couldn't work out why Charlie was missing the beat so much!). Really happy I decided to go to this one.

syrel

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 10 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home