Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT- The first record you ever bought in your life
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 15, 2017 15:46

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 15, 2017 16:40

Men at Work - Business as Usual

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 15, 2017 22:38

SomeTorontoGirl
So much for any credibility I may have ever had here.

Ha ha, it's a funny comment and at the same time it's amazing how much peer pressure there is among adolescents and teens about what music they like. I think that was true 50 years ago and it is just as true today. You can even see it on this board. And you made me remember a funny thing. The first record I ever bought was not even for myself. I bought one of the Monkees albums for my sister as a Christmas present. It might have been the first one they released.

To be "in" you can't be "out." There are legions and legions of kids with paper bags on their heads. If you liked the Bay City Rollers then you are sentenced to five years of wearing a paper bag on your head each weekend! Milli Vanilli? The beatings resume at 6:00 AM.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 15, 2017 23:28

I bought two singles on the same day in 1969 - Something's happening by Herman's Hermits and Ob la Di Ob la Da by the Marmalade. The first album I bought was Sticky Fingers in 1971.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 15, 2017 23:30

Sealed with a Kiss 45rpm - Bobby Rydell maybe or Bobby something. Check that, it was around 1962 Brian something. I should look it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-15 23:31 by beachbreak.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 15, 2017 23:46

AC/DC Powerage

Posted by: mjaggergirl ()
Date: October 16, 2017 05:56

My parents used to pay me for babysitting with albums first I remember were glass houses by billy Joel, goodbye yellow brick road Elton John, and tattoo you - I played sax and loved waiting on a friend. First one I remember actually buying myself was hot rocks - I did not know all the songs so we went down the list on the ride home with my dad singing snippets of each - dad and I went to lucca last month for the concert - what an interesting ride it has been! Thank you stones!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 16, 2017 06:13

rebelrebel
I bought two singles on the same day in 1969 - Something's happening by Herman's Hermits and Ob la Di Ob la Da by the Marmalade. The first album I bought was Sticky Fingers in 1971.

Something Tells Me I’m Into Something Good? I had that on repeat that summer. Nearly played through the vinyl.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 16, 2017 06:21

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 16, 2017 06:46

Monkees first album

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 16, 2017 06:49

From when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, the 45 rpm of Wake Up Little Susie by the Everly Brothers. The first lp I ever bought was a Sinatra album from back in the very early 1960s. The first pop/rock'n'roll album I bought was Vee-Jay Records Beatles album. I still have it packed away somewhere in my stacks of wax.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 16, 2017 10:03

The sound alikes of the movie thank god its friday

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 16, 2017 11:40

Bought it at Woolworths in Swiss Cottage, north London in 1965 - but I'd already asked for and been bought She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand singles.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:02

It was the Spring of 1972. I was seven, and one of my older brothers took me to Korvette's Department Store in Huntington, New York. I deliberated between some John Denver record and The Beatles "Hey Jude" collection. I bought The Beatles.

Now, here I am, all these years later, today celebrating the 12th anniversary of opening my own record store in Seattle. Sometimes I wonder if it all would've turned out differently if I'd bought the John Denver record.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:09

I fear it was this one...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:48

JumpinJimF
I fear it was this one...

Don't fear, a great fun song and I suspect, many a person's guilty secret...........>grinning smiley<

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 16, 2017 13:40

Javadave
It was the Spring of 1972. I was seven, and one of my older brothers took me to Korvette's Department Store in Huntington, New York. I deliberated between some John Denver record and The Beatles "Hey Jude" collection. I bought The Beatles.

Now, here I am, all these years later, today celebrating the 12th anniversary of opening my own record store in Seattle. Sometimes I wonder if it all would've turned out differently if I'd bought the John Denver record.

what's your store?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 16, 2017 15:56

Javadave

Nah, you would have realized you made a mistake and gone back the next day and gotten the Beatles album. Btw, I used to shop at the Korvette's in Carle Place, near Roosevelt Field. Good selection and great prices. It was also the first place I ever saw and purchased German pressings of the UK versions of Beatles albums. I couldn't believe how much better they sounded than my American Capitol releases.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:46

februari 1966, 12 years old

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:50

Bang-Shang-A-Lang by The Archies

Man, that Jughead could really play! drinking smiley

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:55

Voodoo Lounge on cassette. I thought it was a 10/10 album back then and I still do today.

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:58

Great selection so far, not sure if I don't spoil it a bit. Still love this album though...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 16, 2017 20:10

In the knowledge that I was to receive OUT OF OUR HEADS (US tracklisting) as a Christmas gift a few weeks later, the first records I bought on the same day, finally myself with a record player, were a single and an album. The single was the Beatles "Day Tripper"/"We Can Work It Out". The album was the first one by the Kinks with the title THE KINKS.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 16, 2017 21:03

Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: October 16, 2017 21:09

The first single I bought was Starman by David Bowie.

The first album was Slayed by Slade.

The first Stones album I bought was Black & Blue.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: October 16, 2017 21:18

ER. I was 8. My life changed.

Date: October 16, 2017 21:28

Elmo Lewis

Stories from the Internet era: I remember seeing references to Bang-Shang-A-Lang all the time when I read the Archie comics as a kid. So I listened to it on YouTube for the first time ever just now. Not so great.

I think there is a good documentary on YouTube about Don Kirshner where he offered the song to The Monkees and they balked. So Don said "Okay, I will make my own virtual group and I will have complete control and it will sound exactly like I want it to sound." It was one of the biggest singles of 1969 and in the documentary they mention that it outsold Honky Tonk Woman.

I was a Veronica guy and was always so smitten with her.

Date: October 16, 2017 21:37

EasterMan
Voodoo Lounge on cassette. I thought it was a 10/10 album back then and I still do today.

In this thread you can discern who is ready for a steel wheelchair and who is a young buck.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2017 22:00

MileHigh
Elmo Lewis

Stories from the Internet era: I remember seeing references to Bang-Shang-A-Lang all the time when I read the Archie comics as a kid. So I listened to it on YouTube for the first time ever just now. Not so great.

I think there is a good documentary on YouTube about Don Kirshner where he offered the song to The Monkees and they balked. So Don said "Okay, I will make my own virtual group and I will have complete control and it will sound exactly like I want it to sound." It was one of the biggest singles of 1969 and in the documentary they mention that it outsold Honky Tonk Woman.

I was a Veronica guy and was always so smitten with her.

Not to be contrary, but I think you're talking about "Sugar, Sugar". BTW, Wilson Pickett does a great version of SS.

The Betty/Veronice debate is on par with Ginger/Mary Ann. I guess it's a matter of personal preference! LOL

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 16, 2017 22:13

Sticky FIngers, the very week it was released. My bother, 5 years my elder advised me to buy it. I had grown up hearing stuff like Lets Spend The Night Together and Ruby Tuesday on the radio and blasting out of his bedroom. I was never allowed in and watched his long haired young men and women friends visit him all dressed in loons, Afghan coats and reeking of patchouli

I used to listen to them talking and it was often about bands, The Stones, Curved Air, Grateful Dead, Atomic Rooster, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull and hundreds more...the band's names always sounded exciting and he had posters on his wall of them all.....I was desperate to really get into it all, so when I'd saved up enough to buy my first LP, I asked his advice on which would be a good first record. Without hesitation he replied The Stones, Sticky FIngers, it's out this week!

On the Saturday I couldn't wait to get to the record shop and was praying they would have it in stock. In those days UK record shop windows would be lined with album sleeves, you could stand a good 30 mins just looking at he covers in the window. I spotted Sticky FIngers and the sleeve blew my 11 year old mind....once purchased I couldn;t wait to get home, had to endure a shopping trip with my mum first, but on return I adored the music and I couldn't even estimate how many times I played it. Brown Sugar being my favourite - it was getting a lot of air time on Radio Luxembourg and Caroline.

Never looked back from thereon musically and threw myself into Rock music full on, obsessively seeking out vinyl and spending hours and hours listening to the records. I once cycled 2 miles home from school at lunchtime just to play Fly Like an Eagle as I couldn't wait till school finished.

Of course I bought every Stones LP from thereon and finally got to see them at Les Abbatoirs in 76....great times and a great Record. Sorry for the long post, but it all flooded back....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-16 23:06 by crumbling_mice.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home