Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT- The first record you ever bought in your life
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 16, 2017 22:55

Elmo Lewis
MileHigh
Elmo Lewis
Bang-Shang-A-Lang by The Archies

Man, that Jughead could really play! drinking smiley

Stories from the Internet era: I remember seeing references to Bang-Shang-A-Lang all the time when I read the Archie comics as a kid. So I listened to it on YouTube for the first time ever just now. Not so great.

I think there is a good documentary on YouTube about Don Kirshner where he offered the song to The Monkees and they balked. So Don said "Okay, I will make my own virtual group and I will have complete control and it will sound exactly like I want it to sound." It was one of the biggest singles of 1969 and in the documentary they mention that it outsold Honky Tonk Woman.

I was a Veronica guy and was always so smitten with her.

Not to be contrary, but I think you're talking about "Sugar, Sugar". BTW, Wilson Pickett does a great version of SS.

The Betty/Veronice debate is on par with Ginger/Mary Ann. I guess it's a matter of personal preference! LOL

Yes of course Sugar Sugar. Brain malfunction!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 17, 2017 00:02

ferda
Great selection so far, not sure if I don't spoil it a bit. Still love this album though...

It was great for me too! A friend bought the vinyl, told me to come over, wanted me to check out a song. He played me Sweet Child of Mine, I loved it from the first riff! I bought the album that very day!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2017 00:18

LeonidP
ferda
Great selection so far, not sure if I don't spoil it a bit. Still love this album though...

It was great for me too! A friend bought the vinyl, told me to come over, wanted me to check out a song. He played me Sweet Child of Mine, I loved it from the first riff! I bought the album that very day!

I also thought it was great - no BS and the real deal in comparison to the other current hair metal and faux hard rock of the time - they were like a kick in the teeth!
My friend Jimmy and I saw them open for Aerosmith not long after it's release, and they completely stole the show - even Jimmy the huge Aerosmith fan agreed. By the time their second album came out I saw them open for the Stones at the L.A. Coliseum, but by then I was already over it...didn't like that album and they sucked at that concert. I still listen to Appetite on the rare occasion just to reminisce about that era...drinking lots of beer and smoking lots of weed with friends. thumbs up

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: October 17, 2017 01:08

"Something New" by the Beatles. I believe their 3rd album. It was 1976 and and was 10 years old. I started out as a hard core Beatles fan but once I discovered Aftermath and Ya's Ya's in my older cousins record collection it was all about the Stones.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 17, 2017 01:58

Meet the Beatles (or rather, Mom bought it for me.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 01:59 by steffialicia.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 17, 2017 02:01

Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 02:02 by steffialicia.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 17, 2017 02:08

Looks like the Beatles will win again grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 17, 2017 02:17

Elvis Presley Double Greatest Hits by K-Tel I think. Blue cover with him in Rock Star pose, white jump suit.

Date: October 17, 2017 05:23

If we're talking what our parents bought for us, my dad bought my older brother and I every Beatles album as they were released - including various singles. Being born in '63, I obviously don't remember him bringing home the first Beatles album, but my older brother always told me he bought it right after the craze started. The first one I clearly remember is the compilation Yesterday and Today - staring at the cover with the Beatles dressed stylishly sitting around the trunk (in Pauls case inside the trunk). Another clear memory is the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane 7" single which I still have - my brother and I listening repeatedly, and the weird end of Strawberry Fields giving me the creeps.

NICOS
Looks like the Beatles will win again grinning smiley

Just as they always do. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 05:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 17, 2017 05:36

Def Leppard Hysteria and Cheap Trick Lap of Luxury

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: October 17, 2017 05:37

Weird Al Yankovic - In 3D

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: October 17, 2017 06:18

45/ Gene Pitney - Town without Pity
LP/ Otis Redding- Live in Europe

A side note on Gene Piney and The Stones.....
"That Girl Belongs to Yesterday' by Gene Pitney was Jagger/Richards first songwriting endeavor to reach UK top ten.

Date: October 17, 2017 07:11

Hairball
...and the weird end of Strawberry Fields giving me the creeps.
As a child there were a couple of Beatles songs that really creeped me out or I found disturbing and/or scary.
Agreed on the Strawberry Fields ending. Dark and shadowy and mildly scary feeling.
I am the Walrus, with that cult chant thing going on at the end, plus just creepy in general with that dead dog imagery.
Helter Skelter, another disturbing lead-out with some creepy and scary old man shouting. High pressure/too intense song almost wants to make you curl up into a ball.
Why Don't We Do It in the Road, some crazy aggressive nut-case vocals suggesting even to the imagination of a 10-year-old something about raw sex on the bare asphalt. Eeeyeww!
Come Together, another mildly creepy song.
I Want You (She's So Heavy), another creeper.
I'm So Tired, talk about a stressful song!

Date: October 17, 2017 07:35

MileHigh
Hairball
As a child there were a couple of Beatles songs that really creeped me out or I found disturbing and/or scary.
Agreed on the Strawberry Fields ending. Dark and shadowy and mildly scary feeling.
I am the Walrus, with that cult chant thing going on at the end, plus just creepy in general with that dead dog imagery.
Helter Skelter, another disturbing lead-out with some creepy and scary old man shouting. High pressure/too intense song almost wants to make you curl up into a ball.
Why Don't We Do It in the Road, some crazy aggressive nut-case vocals suggesting even to the imagination of a 10-year-old something about raw sex on the bare asphalt. Eeeyeww!

When I six or seven, my older brother figured out how to manually spin Revolution #9 backwards on the turntable. Hearing "turn me on dead man..." repeatedly amidst shreiks and howl's and voices chatting away seriously freaked me out and I didn't want to go near the turntable - lol. I had a similar fear when my dad took us to see the Exorcist when I was just 11...when things started getting nasty I was literally glued to my chair and my heart was pumping. When they recorded Regan speaking gibberish on cassette, and then played the tape in reverse to hear real voices speaking proper words, I almost died right then and there! eye popping smiley grinning smiley

Date: October 17, 2017 08:58

Hairball
MileHigh
Hairball

When I six or seven, my older brother figured out how to manually spin Revolution #9 backwards on the turntable. Hearing "turn me on dead man..." repeatedly amidst shreiks and howl's and voices chatting away seriously freaked me out and I didn't want to go near the turntable - lol. I had a similar fear when my dad took us to see the Exorcist when I was just 11...when things started getting nasty I was literally glued to my chair and my heart was pumping. When they recorded Regan speaking gibberish on cassette, and then played the tape in reverse to hear real voices speaking proper words, I almost died right then and there! eye popping smiley grinning smiley
Ha! I was only five or six when the Outer Limits came on and I was sometimes alone in the room. It was so stressful for me that I had to turn the TV off. And it was one of those big giant scary washing machines of a TV! It was waiting to kill you if you took off the back panel. lol

To think that there are people reading that don't even know what a vertical hold and a horizontal hold is. Something about the TV reaching out and strapping you down into your chair and immobilizing you I'll bet.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 17, 2017 09:19

...uh hum....Guantanamera by The Sandpipers. It was either buy that or... Paint it Black by The Stones. As much as I love Guantanamera, I KNOW I made the wrong choice that day....!

Rod

Date: October 17, 2017 12:38

'Stone Age'.
At that point I owned only 'Buttons'. I came about the Stones through a weird door. The first albums were Buttons, Rockn Rolling Stones and then Got Live if you want it.

Date: October 17, 2017 13:24

Palace Revolution 2000
'Stone Age'.
At that point I owned only 'Buttons'. I came about the Stones through a weird door. The first albums were Buttons, Rockn Rolling Stones and then Got Live if you want it.

That was my first record purchase abroad. Never forget that. Still got that portuguese pressing that plays beautifully. 1983.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 18, 2017 02:31

First LP I bought with my allowance money -- "The Beach Boys Today"

First I bought with my own (paper route) cash -- "The Best of Cream"

First Stones LP -- "Through the Past Darkly" (octagonal)

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 18, 2017 03:09

SomeTorontoGirl
So much for any credibility I may have ever had here.

That makes two of us, but I also remember buying or my mother buying for me:

Tommy James and the Shondels - Draggin the Line (45)

Deep Purple - Hush (8 track)

Ricky Nelson - Garden Party (45)

Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun (45)

The Archies - Sugar Sugar

Date: October 18, 2017 04:09

The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl
So much for any credibility I may have ever had here.

That makes two of us, but I also remember buying or my mother buying for me:

Tommy James and the Shondels - Draggin the Line (45)

Deep Purple - Hush (8 track)

Ricky Nelson - Garden Party (45)

Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun (45)

The Archies - Sugar Sugar

I bought many 45's in the early '70's - usually after hearing it first on the radio. I still have all of them - though some are a bit scratchy and/or missing sleeves now!

A few off the top of my head:

Todd Rundgren - We Gotta Get You a Woman
Jerry Reed - Amos Moses
Paul McCartney - Uncle Albert
Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft
Brewer and Shipley - One Toke Over the Line
Chuck Berry- My Ding a Ling
Commander Cody - Hot Rod Lincoln
The Doors - Love Her Madly
Bill Wither - Lean on Me
Elton John-Crocodile Rock
Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now
Badfinger - Day After Day
Commander Cody - Hot Rod Lincoln

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 18, 2017 10:03

Iggyrichards
"Something New" by the Beatles. I believe their 3rd album. It was 1976 and and was 10 years old. I started out as a hard core Beatles fan but once I discovered Aftermath and Ya's Ya's in my older cousins record collection it was all about the Stones.

I realize belatedly that all my British Beatles albums were called something else in other countries. Which one was this?? (I already knew this about Stones albums, I don't know why I didn't also apply it to the Beatles.)

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 18, 2017 23:31

Aquamarine
Iggyrichards

I realize belatedly that all my British Beatles albums were called something else in other countries. Which one was this?? (I already knew this about Stones albums, I don't know why I didn't also apply it to the Beatles.)

It had a few songs from A Hard Days Night as well as some other songs including I Wanna Hold Your Hand sung in German.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 19, 2017 00:42

Sgt.Pepper was 1st LP I bought in 1979.Had a few singles and hand me downs before it by The Jam, Blondie, Beatles , Ray Charles and Beach Boys. Stones came into my life a year later.

sc uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-19 00:44 by straycatuk.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 20, 2017 13:49

Rolling Stones "Some Girls" and "Love You Live" in 1989

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home