Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Why Isn't Keith Changing His Song Segment?
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 16, 2017 19:55

beno
It is not particular to Keith's block.

This tour has the most stable setlist since decades (I guess in the 70's they used to operate also with a more or less fixed set. Basicly its 20 songs, the exact same order, and only the 6th and 7th numbers vary. There are only a few shows of exceptions so far.

Urban Jungle (Europe, 1990): Same songs, same order, night after night.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 21:38

Sleeping away is great. Very emotional.
Happy much less intense IMO.
But this segment is good.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 16, 2017 22:29

powerage78
Sleeping away is great.

He could play "(Better Get Some) Slip Tonight" every once in a while, though.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 22:31

RoughJusticeOnYa
powerage78
Sleeping away is great.

I prefer A Little TNA, Keith's timeless ode to Global Force Wrestling.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 16, 2017 22:52

Happy was so good here
[youtu.be]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2017 22:58

keefriff99
RoughJusticeOnYa
powerage78
Sleeping away is great.

I prefer A Little TNA, Keith's timeless ode to Global Force Wrestling.

smiling smiley

I like Little TNT - his homage to the classic AC/DC tune.
And then The Wurst - about his disdain for Knackwurst.
Hoppy is my favorite though - he bares his soul about the finer points of brewing beer. smileys with beer

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 16, 2017 23:21

powerage78
Happy was so good here
[youtu.be]

Damn.

Whilst I'm pleased the Stones are still putting on shows, performances like the one above almost make me wish they'd called it quits after the O2 in 2007. We're now looking at a very different band. I don't know whether it was the five year hiatus or something to do with approaching/turning 70, but the difference in the band's appearance and performance from 2007 to 2012-present amazes me.

Date: October 16, 2017 23:33

Olly
powerage78
Happy was so good here
[youtu.be]

Damn.

Whilst I'm pleased the Stones are still putting on shows, performances like the one above almost make me wish they'd called it quits after the O2 in 2007. We're now looking at a very different band. I don't know whether it was the five year hiatus or something to do with approaching/turning 70, but the difference in the band's appearance and performance from 2007 to 2012-present amazes me.

True - there's SO MUCH MORE ENERGY and VIBRANCY in that clip above compared to we're seeing and hearing today...but the show must go on...keep on rolling. thumbs up

Date: October 16, 2017 23:40

Hard to believe that only a couple of months after that massive Rio show, Keith's head injury occurred and changed everything.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 16, 2017 23:44

Hairball
Olly
powerage78
Happy was so good here
[youtu.be]

Damn.

True - there's SO MUCH MORE ENERGY and VIBRANCY in that clip above compared to we're seeing and hearing today...but the show must go on...keep on rolling. thumbs up

A great version, even though I remember hearing Happy from Rio '06 and thinking ''Oh it was so much better at MSG 2003''. But now with recent versions in memory it's indeed great.

And just to remember ourselves of the kind of energy the Stones used to put out just 10 years ago, listen to this Jumping Jack Flash from 2007: [youtu.be] So different from now...

Date: October 17, 2017 00:03

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
Olly
powerage78
Happy was so good here
[youtu.be]

Damn.

A great version, even though I remember hearing Happy from Rio '06 and thinking ''Oh it was so much better at MSG 2003''. But now with recent versions in memory it's indeed great.

And just to remember ourselves of the kind of energy the Stones used to put out just 10 years ago, listen to this Jumping Jack Flash from 2007: [youtu.be] So different from now...

Yeah I recall thinking it wasn't that great either in comparison to earlier versions, but as you said compared to these recent versions it's almost like night and day.
I've been watching alot of Licks videos recently, and the all around energy and vibe is tenfold to todays performances. That isn't a whine or a complaint, just an observation of Father Time taking it's toll.
Maybe in fifteen from now if they're still touring we'll look back on these current performances more fondly.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 17, 2017 00:03

keefriff99
Hard to believe that only a couple of months after that massive Rio show, Keith's head injury occurred and changed everything.

Yes, I hadn't taken that into consideration. Keith has faced challenges in recent years. Charlie is the oldest member of the band and has been the 'old man' of the band for decades. Ronnie's now the most energetic of the bunch, despite, or maybe because of, his recent health scare.

This isn't the thread for it, but.. what of Mick? I notice there's a thread to critique Keith's guitar playing, but what about Mick's performance? The vocals are becoming increasingly clipped and the change in his gait is noticeable. He has been mincing, rather than swaggering, across the stage since 2012. There's the possibility of some osteoporosis or other condition I suppose.

I wonder if the Stones, like professional athletes, have nutritionists and other professionals to advise them? I remember at the end of the Twickenham show on Four Flicks seeing Keith and Charlie being ushered into hooded white bath robes and Charlie being handed what looked like a protein shake.

Date: October 17, 2017 00:24

Hairball
Yeah I recall thinking it wasn't that great either in comparison to earlier versions, but as you said compared to these recent versions it's almost like night and day.
I've been watching alot of Licks videos recently, and the all around energy and vibe is tenfold to todays performances. That isn't a whine or a complaint, just an observation of Father Time taking it's toll.
Maybe in fifteen from now if they're still touring we'll look back on these current performances more fondly.

If you watch Licks videos, the band was consistently great, and the difference from now is both Keith, Mick and Charlie. Charlie used to hit the drums harder and did those aggressive fills that drove the songs forward, Mick had a more powerful voice and Keith was more reliable. But as you say it's not whining, it is what it is, no one can escape aging. There are still moments today when the Stones play well compared to their past, Sweet Virginia in Stockholm or She's So Cold in Arnhem comes to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 00:33 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: October 17, 2017 00:40

TheBlockbuster
Hairball

If you watch Licks videos, the band was consistently great, and the difference from now is both Keith, Mick and Charlie. Charlie used to hit the drums harder and did those aggressive fills that drove the songs forward, Mick had a more powerful voice and Keith was more reliable. But as you say it's not whining, it is what it is, no one can escape aging. There are still moments today when the Stones play well compared to their past, Sweet Virginia in Stockholm or She's So Cold in Arnhem comes to mind.

I attended quite a few of those Licks shows (stadium, arena, and theater) and even then at the time I felt they were losing a bit of pep in their step compared to previous tours I had seen them. But when the ABB shows were happening (in which I saw a few), I realized how much better they were during Licks. And then for 50 and Counting Mick Taylor really saved the day and it was still worthwhile to see several shows in my neck of the woods (and Vegas), but by Zip Code I chose to see one show - the San Diego opener - and that was enough. Never thought I'd want to see them again, but then Desert Trip happened and it was part of the package. One grand finale the following week in *Vegas with heavily discounted tickets, and that's all she wrote imo. The decline has been gradual, but seems to have accelerated these last few years. That said, glad they're still out there rolling, and for the many people who can still find joy in seeing them. thumbs up

Date: October 17, 2017 01:06

Hairball
TheBlockbuster
Hairball

I attended quite a few of those Licks shows (stadium, arena, and theater) and even then at the time I felt they were losing a bit of pep in their step compared to previous tours I had seen them. But when the ABB shows were happening (in which I saw a few), I realized how much better they were during Licks. And then for 50 and Counting Mick Taylor really saved the day and it was still worthwhile to see several shows in my neck of the woods (and Vegas), but by Zip Code I chose to see one show - the San Diego opener - and that was enough. Never thought I'd want to see them again, but then Desert Trip happened and it was part of the package. One grand finale the following week in *Vegas with heavily discounted tickets, and that's all she wrote imo. The decline has been gradual, but seems to have accelerated these last few years. That said, glad they're still out there rolling, and for the many people who can still find joy in seeing them. thumbs up

Interesting, I thought they were firing on all cylinders during the Licks tour. Now in hindsight many of those Voodoo Lounge-shows seems quite dull in comparsion, but one thing I noticed was an increased number of trainwrecks in 02/03, maybe cause they tried so many different songs.

I saw them last week in Stockholm and left the arena in a great mood, don't think there's many other bands who can entertain more for two hours straight. Still I don't want them to continue much longer... it would be a bit sad seeing Keith starting to play Start Me Up in the middle of Brown Sugar when he's 80 years old. One thing they should do already now is moving over to playing club gigs only, the Fonda release showed how they become a much better band in a small venue at this point.

Date: October 17, 2017 02:45

Olly
keefriff99

Yes, I hadn't taken that into consideration. Keith has faced challenges in recent years. Charlie is the oldest member of the band and has been the 'old man' of the band for decades. Ronnie's now the most energetic of the bunch, despite, or maybe because of, his recent health scare.

This isn't the thread for it, but.. what of Mick? I notice there's a thread to critique Keith's guitar playing, but what about Mick's performance? The vocals are becoming increasingly clipped and the change in his gait is noticeable. He has been mincing, rather than swaggering, across the stage since 2012. There's the possibility of some osteoporosis or other condition I suppose.

I wonder if the Stones, like professional athletes, have nutritionists and other professionals to advise them? I remember at the end of the Twickenham show on Four Flicks seeing Keith and Charlie being ushered into hooded white bath robes and Charlie being handed what looked like a protein shake.
Oh, they ABSOLUTELY do. We know that Mick has a full-time trainer and I'm sure they have full-time nutritionists and medical staff.

As far as Mick's slow-down...I don't think it's discussed because there ISN'T much to discuss. His decline, if we can even call it that, is what we would expect to see happen from a 74 year old. Now, Mick was superhuman 15-20 years ago, so even in decline he's still far above what we'd consider possible from a 74 year old.

To me, Mick not leaping around and gyrating as vigorously as he used to isn't worth discussing because, while he might still be able to do it in small doses, it's not worth his energy to do so. He's more focused on conserving his breath and singing properly.

Date: October 17, 2017 02:47

Mick has been taking ballet lessons for some time, and I think it's very apparent in how he walks and moves onstage. He tends to walk on the balls of his feet and stay very light in his gait. No one knows how sore he is after a gig except for him, and we all know he's never going to discuss it because it would expose the facade he has up.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 17, 2017 03:36

Aeneas: One day it will please us to remember even this...

Date: October 17, 2017 04:42

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
TheBlockbuster
Hairball

Interesting, I thought they were firing on all cylinders during the Licks tour. Now in hindsight many of those Voodoo Lounge-shows seems quite dull in comparsion, but one thing I noticed was an increased number of trainwrecks in 02/03, maybe cause they tried so many different songs.

I saw them last week in Stockholm and left the arena in a great mood, don't think there's many other bands who can entertain more for two hours straight. Still I don't want them to continue much longer... it would be a bit sad seeing Keith starting to play Start Me Up in the middle of Brown Sugar when he's 80 years old. One thing they should do already now is moving over to playing club gigs only, the Fonda release showed how they become a much better band in a small venue at this point.

To be fair, I only saw one Bridges show (fun), one Voodoo show (I was drunk lol), and one Steel Wheels show (horrible seats) so probably shouldn't try to make a comparison to those. Probably was thinking back to 1981 when I saw my first two shows - but it's kind of hard to compare those personal memories and first impressions in an objective way. During Licks the Stones were around 60 yrs. old, while in '81 they were only around 40 - a huge difference in age. The performance level and "pep in their step" in '81 was superior than Licks imo, and while some say it was haggard and out of control, for me that was part of the charm - the Stones nearly going off the rails and living on the edge. The Licks shows in comparison seemed to lack some of that rawness and energy, and there was a lot of talk from veterans who attended multiple show from previous tours claiming "Vegas this" and "over the hill" that. But to to be clear, I absolutely loved almost every single show I attended in '02/'03, and there were many - from Los Angeles in the fall of '02 to Glasgow in the late summer of '03, and many places in between over the entire tour. The Vredenberg show alone nearly matched the excitement level of my first shows in '81, and almost trumped them as the absolute best. The anticipation leading up to it, the amazing setlist, the performance level, etc. but again they almost seemed "safe" when compared to the '81 shows, and nothing can match the memories of those first shows for a variety of reasons.

As for your recent show in Stockholm, glad to know you had a good time as thousands of people still are who are attending the current shows. As for Keith starting to play Start Me Up in the middle of Brown Sugar when he's 80, isn't that almost what he's doing now? Of course I'm joking, but there have been some major screw-ups where he misses a cue or botches the opening riff of certain songs that are really hard to ovelook. I don't think things will get any better over time, but still think they should go on as long as humanly possible, and as long as they can deliver some joy to people. On your last point which I highlighted, I totally agree and have mentioned it many times - the Fonda show proves this. If they were doing more club/theater shows right now, I'd be more than happy to see them again, but in an giant arena/stadium situation, those days are pretty much over for me. That said, if they come back to the US (specifically Southern California) and only play an arena or a stadium, I'll make an effort to see them as it's a tradition, but only if the price is right - can't imagine paying over $100 from here on out - unless it's in small club or theater!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 04:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 17, 2017 10:24

RoughJusticeOnYa
beno

This tour has the most stable setlist since decades (I guess in the 70's they used to operate also with a more or less fixed set. Basicly its 20 songs, the exact same order, and only the 6th and 7th numbers vary. There are only a few shows of exceptions so far.

Not really. A lot of shows had Factory Girl, some Terrifying, I Just Wanna... or Dead Flowers, some or many Angie/Almost Hear You Sigh, three Blinded By Love. KR played three different numbers. In the second half most shows were (largely) identically, that's true. But 1990 was a lot more interesting than commonly believed - at least setlist-wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 14:58 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: October 17, 2017 11:04

Monsoon Ragoon
RoughJusticeOnYa
beno

Not really. A lot of shows had Factory Girl, some Terrifying or Dead Flowers. KR played three numbers. In the second half most shows were identically, that's true.

Where did they play Terrifying on the UJ-tour? And where did Keith do 3 songs?

About stale setlists: Try 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975 (they did some minor changes here and there), 1976, 1978, 1981 and, to an extent, also 1982.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 17, 2017 11:49

DandelionPowderman

Terrifying was played in Paris, Marseille, Madrid, Barcelona.
Keith had three songs in rotation (Happy, Before They Make Me Run, Can't Be Seen), but played two at each show (Happy, plus one of the other two).

Date: October 17, 2017 11:57

regarding Urban Jungle: point taken. But I recall seeing them 4 times (Rotterdam, Gelsenkirchen, Paris & London) - and I got 4 times the same setlist. Exact same songs, exact same order.
(And you know what? It didn't bother me one tiny bit. smoking smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 18:26 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: October 17, 2017 11:58

erikjjf
DandelionPowderman

Terrifying was played in Paris, Marseille, Madrid, Barcelona.
Keith had three songs in rotation (Happy, Before They Make Me Run, Can't Be Seen), but played two at each show (Happy, plus one of the other two).

Thanks, Erik thumbs up

Yeah, that's what I thought (about Keith's set).

Date: October 17, 2017 18:12

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
Olly
powerage78
Happy was so good here
[youtu.be]

Damn.

There were some great versions of "Happy" performed in the U.S. during January of 2006 and in Buenos Aires during February of 2006 but,soon after the accident,"Happy" in Europe 2007 might have been the worst it has ever been. I believe that it ended up being dropped in 2007 in favour of "I Wanna Hold You".

I would rank the 2015 'Zip Code Tour' versions of "Happy" (specifically a few of them such as North Carolina,anyway) ahead of 2007 "Happy" but behind the early 2006 "Happy".

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 18, 2017 00:40

Dump the boring Slipping Away for Coming Down Again. Please.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 18, 2017 09:05

Voodoo Lounge Tour was pretty good. Babylon was a step down. But then from all the Babylon Tour they were sharp as knives for No Security. Since then it was hit and miss on Licks, Mick was still strong but the others were fading. Big Bang was more a Big Loud Light Show than a music concert. They came back in 2012 but Keith took years of touring just to get to an acceptable place. I love them on Blue & Lonesome, but the tourists who expect, and get, a Heritage Act, wouldn't put up with them getting down on some blues all night. It is what it is. God bless you if you want to see them fade away. Maybe I'm just mad that time will take everything.

Date: October 18, 2017 10:09

24FPS
Voodoo Lounge Tour was pretty good. Babylon was a step down. But then from all the Babylon Tour they were sharp as knives for No Security. Since then it was hit and miss on Licks, Mick was still strong but the others were fading. Big Bang was more a Big Loud Light Show than a music concert. They came back in 2012 but Keith took years of touring just to get to an acceptable place. I love them on Blue & Lonesome, but the tourists who expect, and get, a Heritage Act, wouldn't put up with them getting down on some blues all night. It is what it is. God bless you if you want to see them fade away. Maybe I'm just mad that time will take everything.

I think the playing was kinda sloppy on the No Security-tour, especially Keith's playing. Ronnie was already way down in the mix, and a bit lost.

The setlists were great, the shows were good – from what I've seen and heard. But the B2B-shows were even better and more consistent, imo.

The VL-show I saw was excellent, but it could never come close to the UJ-show I saw in 1990 (which was my first – and with Bill).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 11:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 18, 2017 11:03

Midnight Toker

You're in the wrong company here, Toker. smoking smiley

Date: October 18, 2017 11:07

RoughJusticeOnYa
Midnight Toker

You're in the wrong company here, Toker. smoking smiley

I can't believe that I just read that!

But, by all means, add Coming Down Again – my fave Keith-ballad.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home