Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Why Isn't Keith Changing His Song Segment?
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 18, 2017 11:35

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
Midnight Toker
Dump the boring Slipping Away for Coming Down Again. Please.

You're in the wrong company here, Toker. smoking smiley

I can't believe that I just read that!

You & me both... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 18, 2017 12:08

KR probably knows that via Chuck. But he will never play it.

Date: October 18, 2017 15:35

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Voodoo Lounge Tour was pretty good. Babylon was a step down. But then from all the Babylon Tour they were sharp as knives for No Security. Since then it was hit and miss on Licks, Mick was still strong but the others were fading. Big Bang was more a Big Loud Light Show than a music concert. They came back in 2012 but Keith took years of touring just to get to an acceptable place. I love them on Blue & Lonesome, but the tourists who expect, and get, a Heritage Act, wouldn't put up with them getting down on some blues all night. It is what it is. God bless you if you want to see them fade away. Maybe I'm just mad that time will take everything.

I think the playing was kinda sloppy on the No Security-tour, especially Keith's playing. Ronnie was already way down in the mix, and a bit lost.

The setlists were great, the shows were good – from what I've seen and heard. But the B2B-shows were even better and more consistent, imo.

The VL-show I saw was excellent, but it could never come close to the UJ-show I saw in 1990 (which was my first – and with Bill).

It was pretty much the consensus,widely accepted here on this board for years,that the '99 No Security Tour' was the high water mark for Richards in the post-Wyman era .... guitar playing-wise.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 18, 2017 15:43

I saw one No Security show (Boston #2) and I remember Ronnie basically being a non-factor. He spent more time making faces at the front row and goofing off than playing, and yet it was still a stellar show due to Keith stepping up and playing his ass off, filling in the sound to the point where Ronnie's absence wasn't even noticeable.

My knees almost buckled under me during Midnight Rambler because Keith was playing such tasty blues licks. It was wild.

Date: October 18, 2017 15:46

Winning Ugly VXII
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Voodoo Lounge Tour was pretty good. Babylon was a step down. But then from all the Babylon Tour they were sharp as knives for No Security. Since then it was hit and miss on Licks, Mick was still strong but the others were fading. Big Bang was more a Big Loud Light Show than a music concert. They came back in 2012 but Keith took years of touring just to get to an acceptable place. I love them on Blue & Lonesome, but the tourists who expect, and get, a Heritage Act, wouldn't put up with them getting down on some blues all night. It is what it is. God bless you if you want to see them fade away. Maybe I'm just mad that time will take everything.

I think the playing was kinda sloppy on the No Security-tour, especially Keith's playing. Ronnie was already way down in the mix, and a bit lost.

The setlists were great, the shows were good – from what I've seen and heard. But the B2B-shows were even better and more consistent, imo.

The VL-show I saw was excellent, but it could never come close to the UJ-show I saw in 1990 (which was my first – and with Bill).

It was pretty much the consensus,widely accepted here on this board for years,that the '99 No Security Tour' was the high water mark for Richards in the post-Wyman era .... guitar playing-wise.

I know, but I never really bought that. Yes, he played more – especially licks and solos – but I thought he had lost something by then, and that the cliche «to know when not to play» had some truth to it on that tour.

However, we're talking nuances here. It's not like it was bad. But with one guitarist down in the mix, and the other one overplaying, it will affect the shows, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 15:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 18, 2017 15:55

I think Keith overplayed out of necessity due to Ronnie being so out of it.

Date: October 18, 2017 15:58

keefriff99

I don't. You can hear Ronnie play excellently here, but he's drowned by Keith. It the same with every 1999-boot I've heard...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 16:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 18, 2017 16:31

Keith has never overplayed .

There's always been somebody else in the band to cover that particular job winking smiley

Date: October 18, 2017 16:33

Hehe grinning smiley

Date: October 18, 2017 17:49

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

I don't. You can hear Ronnie play excellently here, but he's drowned by Keith. It the same with every 1999-boot I've heard...

[www.youtube.com]
Interesting. All I remember from the show I attended is that Ronnie was barely audible and he didn't appear to be all there or mentally invested in performing.

It's been common wisdom around IORR for years that Ronnie was non compos mentis during the NS tour and that Keith had to basically shoulder the entire guitar burden. Maybe that's not accurate.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 18, 2017 18:24

keefriff99

It's been common wisdom around IORR for years that Ronnie was non compos mentis during the NS tour and that Keith had to basically shoulder the entire guitar burden. Maybe that's not accurate.

It is NOT accurate at all... why do you always post strange things like this? Speaking for others?

Date: October 18, 2017 18:27

Anyone who dreams Jagger would allow anyone in this band to not be tour ready (ready and able to play) before the tour starts, does not know this band very well. Even back in the day when Keef was... you know... he could get on stage perform.

They are pros. That is why this band has stayed on top for 50 years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2017 18:28

Ronnie was out of it for many shows during several tours back in the day.
Not always, but seemingly more often than not.

Date: October 18, 2017 18:39

Of course some people would agree... the same people who bash Ronnie, Keef or anyone/everyone in this band at any opportunity. That seems to be what some people live for. They park on this message board for fans and say negative about this band all day, everyday, all the time. That does not make what they say common wisdom... or wisdom at all.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 18, 2017 18:51

Leonioid
keefriff99

It is NOT accurate at all... why do you always post strange things like this? Speaking for others?

I remember the evaluations of both BtB & NS over here on the forum to be exactly like that - so I don't see how Keefriff99's point here can shock you so much.

And stuff like that is never 100% accurate when generalised too much - things we tend to do here more often than Truth deserves & Reality evokes, I'd say.

(Goodness me, if 'accuracy ' would be the main standard, this forum would have been loooong gone by now.)

But I for one have witnessed eight BtB gigs & one NS gig; and I have to say, on these nine gigs grand total, Ronnie was mediocre at best. And mostly he was just fiddling about, giving half of the audience splittin' headaches with screaming out-of-tune, completely misplaced notes and licks. In fact, I'm quite sure during huge parts of some of these gigs, his feed was just reduced to zero 'cause obody could take it anymore. In all honesty, the thing I saw him do best, in those days, was goofing around during "Miss You"...

That's the way I remember it/ him, anyway.
Obviously, I'm not implying that he could NOT have had good nights and/or songs as well, during that period... I'm just speaking for the nine gigs I saw, and the way I experienced them.

And to round my reflexion on Ronnie off, here: the way he's been playing since 2012, makes we wanna marry him & leave him all my earthly possessions when I'm dead. What a guy!!

Date: October 18, 2017 18:55

RoughJusticeOnYa
Leonioid
keefriff99

I remember the evaluations of both BtB & NS over here on the forum to be exactly like that - so I don't see how Keefriff99's point here can shock you so much.

And stuff like that is never 100% accurate when generalised too much - things we tend to do here more often than Truth deserves & Reality evokes, I'd say.

(Goodness me, if 'accuracy ' would be the main standard, this forum would have been loooong gone by now.)

But I for one have witnessed eight BtB gigs & one NS gig; and I have to say, on these nine gigs grand total, Ronnie was mediocre at best. And mostly he was just fiddling about, giving half of the audience splittin' headaches with screaming out-of-tune, completely misplaced notes and licks. In fact, I'm quite sure during huge parts of some of these gigs, his feed was just reduced to zero 'cause obody could take it anymore. In all honesty, the thing I saw him do best, in those days, was goofing around during "Miss You"...

That's the way I remember it/ him, anyway.
Obviously, I'm not implying that he could NOT have had good nights and/or songs as well, during that period... I'm just speaking for the nine gigs I saw, and the way I experienced them.

And to round my reflexion on Ronnie off, here: the way he's been playing since 2012, makes we wanna marry him & leave him all my earthly possessions when I'm dead. What a guy!!

If I was going to make statement like that I would go back and find the posts to prove the statement... and I would make sure to not just pick and chose posts from known Ronnie bashers.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:01

And of course linking some videos from the tour, where he was supposedly so "out of it" would help substantiate the claim... and I don't mean simply posting a video that says "Ronnie drunk" in the title. Post/link the video, and the mark in the video, substantiating the claim of his "out of it" playing.

I saw 4 shows on the No Security tour and they were all were in good form.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:04

After all... if this is all "common wisdom" and posted by so many, then one would have no problem coming up with 20-30 posts saying that.... adn 5-10 videos showing it.

Otherwise the claims are just chicken squawking Stones Bashing, which IS common here.
Anyone need links to prove that statement?

Date: October 18, 2017 19:08

Pretty sure Ronnie recently said himself that the drugs and booze had a negative effect on his playing and his painting for years.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:12

Hairball
Pretty sure Ronnie recently said himself that the drugs and booze had a negative effect on his playing and his painting for years.

That was on the Licks tour in particular.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:15

Hairball

pretty sure? How about post a link when you make a claim, otherwise you are gossiping

gos·sip
noun: gossip
1. casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:22

And in my opinion Ronnie is/has been a good enough player that even if drugs and booze affected his playing he was still able to perform and a good show... and I think this of Keef as well.

But if anyone has some video proof showing other wise, please post it.

These guys have been partying their asses off and playing rock and roll their entire lives. Who know what is going on today, but from what I have seen their playing STILL sounds, in my opinion. Do I need to post videos proving this?

Date: October 18, 2017 19:28

Leonioid
Hairball

pretty sure? How about post a link when you make a claim, otherwise you are gossiping

Basing that on memory of some of his recent interviews - though can't be sure of the exact wording.

That said, it seems clearly evident that his playing has become much more quality, reliable, and consistent in recent years since he's been sober vs. the old days when he was out of it.
Not only did his playing and artwork suffer from the bad habits, but also his personal relationships (see Russian gal Ekaterina Ivanova and his divorce from Jo).

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 18, 2017 19:33

Leonioid
And in my opinion Ronnie is/has been a good enough player that even if drugs and booze affected his playing he was still able to perform and a good show... and I think this of Keef as well.

These guys have been partying their asses off and playing rock and roll their entire lives. Who know what is going on today, but from what I have seen their playing STILL sounds, in my opinion. Do I need to post videos proving this?

Only if you want to hold yourself to the same standards as you seem to be requesting of anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Note: From the department of historical accuracy:

1) Since both Keith & Ronnie still have asses, they obviously never partied them off, unless they grew back afterwards. Do you have photos to prove that they at one point had no asses and can you prove that it was a result of their partying?

2) Both Keith and Ronnie were born were born BEFORE rock & roll emerged as an artform. Therefore your statement about them playing it all their lives is factually inaccurate. Unless you have recordings of them that the rest of the world doesn't know about, you may want to edit your factually inaccurate claim above.

Ain't it fun to be held you your own standards? eye rolling smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 18, 2017 19:38

Leonioid
keefriff99

*I* post strange things? Such as?

As others are commenting, it HAS been a common refrain around this site for many years that the No Security tour, while being great overall, was not RONNIE'S finest hour by any stretch. As I witnessed myself, he spent much of the show practically inaudible and goofing around rather than playing.

Why was such a big deal made about Mick essentially requiring Ronnie to get sober prior to the Licks tour commencing if it hadn't been affecting his performances? Am I making that up too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 19:39 by keefriff99.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:43

Hairball
Leonioid
Hairball

Basing that on memory of some of his recent interviews - though can't be sure of the exact wording.

That said, it seems clearly evident that his playing has become much more quality, reliable, and consistent in recent years since he's been sober vs. the old days when he was out of it.
Not only did his playing and artwork suffer from the bad habits, but also his personal relationships (see Russian gal Ekaterina Ivanova and his divorce from Jo).
Ronnie started the Licks tour off sober for the first time in many years, and he practically received standing ovations for his CYHMK solos on that first leg. There was clearly a before-and-after effect.

mr_dja
Leonioid

Only if you want to hold yourself to the same standards as you seem to be requesting of anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Note: From the department of historical accuracy:

1) Since both Keith & Ronnie still have asses, they obviously never partied them off, unless they grew back afterwards. Do you have photos to prove that they at one point had no asses and can you prove that it was a result of their partying?

2) Both Keith and Ronnie were born were born BEFORE rock & roll emerged as an artform. Therefore your statement about them playing it all their lives is factually inaccurate. Unless you have recordings of them that the rest of the world doesn't know about, you may want to edit your factually inaccurate claim above.

Ain't it fun to be held you your own standards? eye rolling smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Uhm... I am not sure what you are doing here... but it is amusing.

jezus... if I felt the way so many here seem to, if I disliked these guys so much, disapproved of what they have done in their personal lives, didn't like the way they played or the way their solos trampled all over the tulips... if I didn't like anything about them, the LAST THING in the world I would do is park on their fan board everyday all day and write endless negative posts about them. Doing that is just weird.

I don't like a lot of bands (which I used to like) and I don't spend one second of my time on their fan boards insulting them... why would I?

Date: October 18, 2017 19:45

...but have at your gossip... you all seem to enjoy it.

Date: October 18, 2017 19:47

Leonioid
...but have at your gossip... you all seem to enjoy it.
I could post several gushing reviews that I submitted to bv on the Licks tour that are still posted. Looking back at them, I'm embarrassed by how worshipful they were, but I wrote them as soon as I got back from the show and my adrenaline was through the roof. If I wasn't such a massive fan, I wouldn't care enough to even discuss them.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home