Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT - 2018 Hall Of Fame Nominees
Date: December 20, 2017 17:22

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
short answer

dire straits earned it and radiohead hasn't

How come? 32 years active, 9 albums released, round 40 million albums sold, they made a huge impact with several of their albums, instead of merely a few popular singles – as well as still being very popular and active today.

How did Dire Straits earn this more?

are you in america? radiohead album sales in the usa. rougly 8 million on 9 albums

dire straits sales in the usa rough 15 million on just 6 albums. seems dire straits made an impact with their albums as well.

dire straits worldwide sales are over 100 million and they have won 4 grammy's and 3 brit awards.

so why is there an article saying dire straits, who should have been in years ago, is a mediocre band while radiohead are clearly superior and should have been a sure fire first ballot hall of famer? this is radioheads first year eligible while dire straits has been eligible for over a decade

being active today means nothing but mark knopfler is still active today and always gets critical praise for his solo stuff

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 17:24 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: December 20, 2017 17:30

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
short answer

How come? 32 years active, 9 albums released, round 40 million albums sold, they made a huge impact with several of their albums, instead of merely a few popular singles – as well as still being very popular and active today.

are you in america? radiohead album sales in the usa. rougly 8 million on 9 albums

dire straits sales in the usa rough 15 million on just 6 albums. seems dire straits made an impact with their albums as well.

dire straits worldwide sales are over 100 million and they have won 4 grammy's and 3 brit awards.

so why is there an article saying dire straits, who should have been in years ago, is a mediocre band while radiohead are clearly superior and should have been a sure fire first ballot hall of famer? this is radioheads first year eligible while dire straits has been eligible for over a decade

being active today means nothing but mark knopfler is still active today and always gets critical praise for his solo stuff

I'm not saying Dire Straits don't deserve it, but Radiohead have been an active band all those years, not merely a decade, like DS. Radiohead's five latest albums went #1 #2 #3 1# #3 #3 in America, so they're pretty popular over at your place anyway smiling smiley

I'm not a big fan of any of these bands, but I can't see why Dire Straits, with a few successful albums and a couple of super hits, should earn it more.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2017 17:31

Dandy is not an Ugly American like me. I'm a Dire Straits fan and hardly a Radiohead fan. That wasn't my objection to the article. I understand both bands being inducted. I understand reasons not to induct them as well. For me, it read like an article that a fan writes only. Calling someone mediocre because my favorites aren't in. I think J. Geils Band (as an example) belong in before either Dire Straits or Radiohead. To my thinking, the Hall of Fame should simply have inducted by year of eligibility each year even if that meant they were just starting to touch the British Invasion now. However, it's not about my criteria or anyone else's. The Foundation is there to generate revenue. Why are rap artists or pop stars in the Hall of Fame? Same reason why they were on the cover of Rolling Stone and why Kurt Loder interviewed them and wasted many thousands of words extolling their virtues - it sold copies to people who might otherwise ignore it.

Date: December 20, 2017 17:38

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
short answer

I'm not saying Dire Straits don't deserve it, but Radiohead have been an active band all those years, not merely a decade, like DS. Radiohead's five latest albums went #1 #2 #3 1# #3 #3 in America, so they're pretty popular over at your place anyway smiling smiley

I'm not a big fan of any of these bands, but I can't see why Dire Straits, with a few successful albums and a couple of super hits, should earn it more.

dire straits earned it because they have had to wait to get in long after they should have been in. heaven forbid radiohead doesn't get in their first year they are eligible

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 21, 2017 17:08

Yeah, Radiohead will get in eventually. There's no rush, and Dire Straits is an example of a band thats frequently overlooked, so since they absolutely deserve it, I think they should go in ASAP because they've been ignored for so long (as they always have really despite record sales and great enduring songs). Radiohead, while fine and not meant to demean them, have #1 albums or close to them these days because of their name, not the actual records. They have a fanbase and these days you do better if you're already a "name" band. Thats why bands have lawsuits about names. Radiohead are very good, but they had their moment, and in terms of impact there's very little than simply sticking around. Again, not a knock. Its a more a symptom of our society than anything else. And I'd argue Dire Straits made an impact and #1 records when that wasn't actually the case.

Re: 2018 Hall Of Fame Nominees
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 22, 2017 20:23

Send It To me
They're really gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel in a few years

I've thought that they have passed over too many of the early Rock & Roll performers who may now never get a chance to get in in favor of adding a more recent popular one. They also have to come up with a good definition of the category as they've inducted some I consider Pop performers such as Abba.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home