Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: 2018 Hall Of Fame Nominees
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 6, 2017 05:18

The Zombies, nobody voted for them?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 6, 2017 05:51

Cristiano Radtke

someone did, but she's not there

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 6, 2017 05:52

schillid
Send It To me
They're really gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel in a few years

Zager & Evans

lol, if man is still alive. that song creeped me out when I was a kid

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 6, 2017 05:53

Send It To me
Cristiano Radtke

someone did, but she's not there

HA! grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 05:54

Cristiano Radtke
Time of the Season is really the only song I know by them (GREAT song). Not well versed enough in their music to vote for them.

Date: October 6, 2017 05:55

bitusa2012
Bon Jovi??? C'mon.....

....ahead of the Moody's or Dire Straits? Or Nina Simone? NO way.

Bon Jovi, like Huey Lewis to me, would struggle as a PUB band in Australia, just so generically awful.
They've written some great @#$%& rock anthems. I'd imagine they won't get much love here but I do enjoy some classic era Jovi.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 6, 2017 06:07

Can The Monkees be included? Musically, they ought to be, imo!
Who decides?

(NO to both the Partridge Family and the Archies
YES for The Monkees.)

Date: October 6, 2017 06:23

still no johnny winter, grand funk railroad or mountain. wow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 06:27 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: October 6, 2017 07:35

Or Doobie Bros, Johnny Rivers, Tommy James etc...

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: October 6, 2017 20:53

I nominate The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 23:46 by Bungo.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 6, 2017 23:34

I voted for:

J. Geils Band
Moody Blues
MC5
Link Wray
Rosetta Tharpe

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 6, 2017 23:52

Cristiano Radtke

Odyssey and Oracle is one of the greatest records of all time. Without question.

Having said that, I still don't consider them a Hall Of Fame band. There's a difference between one incredible album and a career that is Hall Of Fame worthy. Its the same reason I wouldn't put Love in the Hall just for Forever Changes.

I would echo the sentiments that The Monkees are more deserving.

Three of these are insanely easy. The Moodys should have been in long ago. Their 7 album run is the definition of a Hall Of Fame band. Consistency, a legitimate hit on every record, popular, and uniqiue. Dire Straits should also have been in long ago. Very consistent and had that peak of Brothers In Arms where they were the biggest band in the world. Consistency and popularity are my biggest things to the hall, with influence filling in for popularity in certain bands. Also, regardless of what you think of them, Bon Jovi should be in. A long, consistent, still popular career. Hardly anyone from his era is still playing the places he does or have that sort of name recognition. Bon Jovi is the definition of a band that if people were truly objective would see they absolutely qualify over many others.

The other two or three could be a few different choices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 23:57 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 7, 2017 00:07

tatters
Still no Jethro Tull, the most deserving act never to have even been nominated.

I had the Moody Blues & Jethro Tull on that list, and Jethro Tull was a lot more rock and roll than the Moodies.

Date: October 7, 2017 00:48

24FPS
tatters

I had the Moody Blues & Jethro Tull on that list, and Jethro Tull was a lot more rock and roll than the Moodies.

Yeah but IMO the Moodies were way better and most consistent than Tull. Tull is conspicuously absent, although I always said if this were a normal Hall Of Fame, I wouldn't put them in. They're great, and absolutely unique, but I never thought had the catalogue or anything to really stand with the best. I enjoy Aqualung probably more than any other Moodies album, maybe Stand Up too, but they had like 3 EXCELLENT albums. I say that because I was never really a fan of the proggier direction they took starting with Thick As A Brick, then when they went back to more generic stuff later in the 70s. To me, Tull is 4-5 great albums, with two being really excellent and the others being fine. I appreciate them for what they are but never thought they were among the best. The Moodies had an immense more amount of talent, a stronger overall catalogue in their classic years (even though I find their post 7 album run stuff just as forgettable as later Tull stuff), and just all around better more unique songwriting.

With the Hall we have now I agree Tull is oddly absent and deserving. But without a doubt I'd put the Moodies in first, and if it were a REAL Hall Of Fame of the bests, I'd put the Moody Blues in and not Tull. Tull is one of those "very good but no Zeppelin/Stones/Who" type of bands for me. Which is fine, not everyone can be the best and we can still love them. I expect them to be nominated and in soon though.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2017 02:15

RollingFreak
Cristiano Radtke

Odyssey and Oracle is one of the greatest records of all time. Without question.

Having said that, I still don't consider them a Hall Of Fame band. There's a difference between one incredible album and a career that is Hall Of Fame worthy. Its the same reason I wouldn't put Love in the Hall just for Forever Changes.

One album can be enough if it's sufficiently influential. The Sex Pistols were voted in years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 02:19 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2017 02:49

tatters
RollingFreak
Cristiano Radtke

One album can be enough if it's sufficiently influential. The Sex Pistols were voted in years ago.

Bingo.

The Zombies should have been in ages ago.
Moody Blues should have been in ages ago.
Jethro Tull should have been in ages ago, and if it were up to me they would be in before the Moody Blues or the Zombies. Jethro Tull's catalogue is more than just "three excellent albums" imo, and their music speaks to me more than the other two bands - plus they were still selling out arenas throughout the entire '70's, so it's not just me that thinks they are worthy. But anyone can dissect their entire careers, or give subjective reasons as to why they think one deserves it over the other (as I just did), but this isn't science class with absolute/objective truths and answers as is obvious with the choices the Hall makes. As it is, we have the "Hall of Fame" put in a bunch of other "artists" that have nothing to do with rock and roll - it's really beyond a joke at this point. And by now it seems pointless to try and second guess their choices - it's futile and a waste of time as nothing will change the way it works. Hindsight may be 20/20, but everything they've done is etched in stone, and unfortunately nothing can be done to change that. It's hard to imagine there's actually people who think Madonna is more rock and roll and more deserved to be in the HOF over the Zombies, the Moody Blues, and Jethro Tull, but when you consider the idiotic decisions made over the years it's not really too surprising anymore.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 7, 2017 04:03

schillid
Send It To me

Zager & Evans

There will get in In The Year 2525

Re: OT - 2018 Hall Of Fame Nominees
Date: October 7, 2017 04:16

I have a lot of respect for what Jann Wenner accomplished over the decades...I think Rolling Stone, despite being a shell of its former self, is still a decent publication (especially Taibbi's political coverage), but it's been marred recently by some bad scandals (putting Tsaernav on the cover (overblown IMO), the campus rape story retraction).

But it's his personal bias against certain acts and genres that really gets me. The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame should be re-named the Popular Music Hall of Fame, or something. I have no problem putting rap and pop acts in there, but figure out a more appropriate title for the Hall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 04:16 by keefriff99.

Date: October 7, 2017 04:22

keefriff99
I have a lot of respect for what Jann Wenner accomplished over the decades...I think Rolling Stone, despite being a shell of its former self, is still a decent publication (especially Taibbi's political coverage), but it's been marred recently by some bad scandals (putting Tsaernav on the cover (overblown IMO), the campus rape story retraction).

But it's his personal bias against certain acts and genres that really gets me. The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame should be re-named the Popular Music Hall of Fame, or something. I have no problem putting rap and pop acts in there, but figure out a more appropriate title for the Hall.

I agree...they seriously need to think about revising the title, but as I said before it's probably too late and you can't turn back the clock - the damage is done.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2017 04:34

Send It To me

Are you saying that there is a chance Mick, Keith, Ronnie & Bill can get in on the strength of their solo careers?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 7, 2017 04:51

rollmops
I voted for:

J. Geils Band

i think j geils is automatically disqualified for Centerfold and Freeze Frame (Peter Wolf's Light's Out didn't help their cause much)

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 7, 2017 05:21

annual silliness for jan's sham in Cleveland

Date: October 7, 2017 05:32

treaclefingers
Send It To me

Are you saying that there is a chance Mick, Keith, Ronnie & Bill can get in on the strength of their solo careers?

They might as well add Charlie for his Jazz recordings.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: October 7, 2017 05:45

Link Wray and Sister Rosetta Tharpe are the only two HoF-worthy names on the list.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 7, 2017 06:58

Roscoe
Link Wray and Sister Rosetta Tharpe are the only two HoF-worthy names on the list.

Absolutely not. The Moody Blues should of been in there many years ago.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 7, 2017 07:23

None of the artists listed received my vote, even though I enjoy many of them.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 7, 2017 10:32

24FPS
tatters

I can't imagine that, if elected, Ian Anderson, would turn up to accept the 'award'.
And let's be honest, he IS Jethro Tull.

Date: October 7, 2017 19:27

tatters
RollingFreak
Cristiano Radtke

See, I'd argue the one Sex Pistols album is influential in creating or helping to create a whole genre and thus has more merit. And thats coming from someone that really doesn't like that album at all minus Anarchy In The UK. But come on, influential is influential. The Zombies album is excellent, the Love album is excellent. I personally think that does a disservice to bands like the Stones and the Who and Zeppelin and the Kinks and acts that truly DESERVE that honor. Not everyone gets there, thats literally the entire point. You'd never put in Blood Sweat And Tears just for Child Is The Father Of The Man. But obviously its all opinion. The MC5 arguably deserve it for one album because that album did so much to influence other bands. Way more than Forever Changes or Odyssey And Oracle. But again, at this point thats more nitpicking just because of the original intentions of the Hall. If Madonna is in I want everyone one hit or album wonder from the 60s and 70s in. Just saying if it was an actual Hall of Fame to me those guys wouldn't make it but bands like The Moody Blues would because it was a more sustained extended career.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 7, 2017 20:54

It's a popular music Hall of Fame. Rock and roll used to be the dominant form of popular music.
As for the Zombies, they were great, but it's time to move on and start inducting the big '80s acts -- please the 'younger' fans, make for a better show, attract more visitors to the place.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 7, 2017 23:28

DaveG
schillid
Send It To me

Zager & Evans

Not until 2525

I'd like to hear Simon and Garfunkel sing the song.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home