Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT - 2018 Hall Of Fame Nominees
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 8, 2017 00:28

King Crimson and Little Feat both deserve to get in and have yet to be nominated.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 01:06

Having rap in there is a JOKE. Gene Simmons agrees wholeheartedly. They should shut the damn thing down it has become a farce.Plus bands like Journey and heaven forbid Bon Jokey!!!!???????

Re: 2018 Hall Of Fame Nominees
Date: October 8, 2017 01:10

MisterDDDD
Let's hear it for..
J Geils Band!!

Also voted for Moody Blues and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

J Geils run circles around most of the bands already in.

Date: October 8, 2017 01:25

bitusa2012
Bon Jovi??? C'mon.....

....ahead of the Moody's or Dire Straits? Or Nina Simone? NO way.

Bon Jovi, like Huey Lewis to me, would struggle as a PUB band in Australia, just so generically awful.

Damn could not have said it and better about that "band" from Jersey. Too close to my NYC home and like you said, we would ask them to leave my local pub too.There is, after all, a juke box

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 8, 2017 02:16

just got done listening to the replacements live record that was just released after 30 years. some nights, those guys were the best band ever & that is well documented on the record. them & husker du were so influential but because from minnesota ignored by the nyc elitists. the whole thing is laughable.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 04:02

potus43
Having rap in there is a JOKE. Gene Simmons agrees wholeheartedly. They should shut the damn thing down it has become a farce.Plus bands like Journey and heaven forbid Bon Jokey!!!!???????
Well gee, if GENE @#$%& SIMMONS says so...let's get right on that.

That bloated, self-important clown also thinks we should give your boy Trump a chance, so no wonder you two ass-hats are on the same page.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 8, 2017 04:34

A definitive (as it can be) list of the musicians who influenced our lives most:

[qz.com]

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 8, 2017 04:54

bitusa2012
Bon Jovi??? C'mon.....

Bon Jovi, like Huey Lewis to me, would struggle as a PUB band in Australia, just so generically awful.

Could not agree more. Bon Jovi is quite possibly the worst band ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2017 04:57

I'm bummed Snoop Dogg hasn't been inducted yet....hopefully just a matter of time as he epitomizes ROCK and ROLL. winking smiley

Seriously though, I liked Snoop on Dr. Dre's The Chronic album...I'd like to smoke a spliff with him someday...

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 08:14

tatters
Still no Jethro Tull, the most deserving act never to have even been nominated.

True!!! So true.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2017 21:13

The Sicilian
DaveG
schillid
Send It To me
They're really gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel in a few years

Zager & Evans

Not until 2525

I'd like to hear Simon and Garfunkel sing the song.

yes indeed, all together, see what happens.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: October 9, 2017 05:17

keefriff99
FrogSugar
keefriff99
Come on, Judas Priest!

A no-brainer, they HAVE to get in!
Just keep in mind that Wenner and Rolling Stone are MASSIVELY biased against heavy metal, and have been for decades. Bands like Priest, Maiden, Motorhead should have objectively been inducted years ago.

It was only grudgingly that Black Sabbath and Metallica were inducted both due to their massive influence (in Sabbath's case) and commercial success (in Metallica's case).

AC/DC, KISS and Rush were grudgingly inducted due to fan fervor and simply because their steady, decades-long success couldn't be denied.

But metal bands that are just under the Sabbath/Metallica threshold? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good points for sure, which means The Priest should be in there...

Ask these bands if JP is deserving, and my money says they'd welcome them!

Eagerly anticipating the new Priest disc, the rumors say it'll be another strong effort.

Date: October 9, 2017 05:41

TKinOH
keefriff99
FrogSugar
keefriff99
Come on, Judas Priest!

A no-brainer, they HAVE to get in!
Just keep in mind that Wenner and Rolling Stone are MASSIVELY biased against heavy metal, and have been for decades. Bands like Priest, Maiden, Motorhead should have objectively been inducted years ago.

It was only grudgingly that Black Sabbath and Metallica were inducted both due to their massive influence (in Sabbath's case) and commercial success (in Metallica's case).

AC/DC, KISS and Rush were grudgingly inducted due to fan fervor and simply because their steady, decades-long success couldn't be denied.

But metal bands that are just under the Sabbath/Metallica threshold? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good points for sure, which means The Priest should be in there...

Ask these bands if JP is deserving, and my money says they'd welcome them!

Eagerly anticipating the new Priest disc, the rumors say it'll be another strong effort.
I'm definitely stoked to hear it. Andy Sneap is an amazing metal producer, and having Tom Allom back behind the console (he produced everything Priest did from Unleashed in the East to Ram it Down) after almost 30 years is very exciting news.

Date: October 9, 2017 06:30

bitusa2012
Bon Jovi??? C'mon.....

well do they struggle to sell out pubs when they play there? silly statement as bon jovi sells out arenas and huey lewis paid his dues in clubs for years when he was in the band clover and plays harmonica on thin lizzys amazing live and dangerous

Date: October 9, 2017 12:38

Here's an interesting article from last year which shows how the RRHF works:

[Wenner]

I never understood how other musicians being inducted can stay silent on the unfair and biased system of the RRHF.

Progressive bands are neglected (Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake And Palmer etc. -- Yes is finally in) and it took ages for Deep Purple to be inducted.

Date: October 9, 2017 15:22

frenki09

[Wenner]

I never understood how other musicians being inducted can stay silent on the unfair and biased system of the RRHF.

Progressive bands are neglected (Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake And Palmer etc. -- Yes is finally in) and it took ages for Deep Purple to be inducted.
Wow, surprised to read Jon Landau is in on the fix. I wonder what Springsteen thinks of this process.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 9, 2017 15:45

The great, great Meters are currently last?
Huh?!

I voted DEPECHE MODE DIRE STRAITS JUDAS PRIEST LL COOL J THE METERS

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 9, 2017 15:48

potus43
Gene Simmons agrees wholeheartedly.

If Gene Simmons agrees wholeheartedly, I can only disagree wholeheartedly.

Date: October 9, 2017 15:51

BowieStone
potus43
Gene Simmons agrees wholeheartedly.

If Gene Simmons agrees wholeheartedly, I can only disagree wholeheartedly.
That was my initial reaction as well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 9, 2017 17:46

Cristiano Radtke
A definitive (as it can be) list of the musicians who influenced our lives most:

[qz.com]

Brilliant, thanks for this Cristiano. Just a glance at the list and it definitely rings true. I notice that while AC/DC is a hugely popular band even still their level of influence amongst other artists is very low, which makes sense to me.

Date: October 9, 2017 18:53

frenki09

[Wenner]

Definitely a bogus process!
Steve Miller did not remain silent!

Steve Miller on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: 'I'm Gonna Get These Guys'

Steve Miller

And his rant after he was inducted: STEVE MILLER GOES OFF ON ROCK HALL

And his actual acceptance speech which was quite nice!: 2016 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Steve Miller Complete Induction Speech

Date: October 9, 2017 19:49

Hairball

He complained mostly about how expensive and limited the tickets were for his family members for the induction, if I remember correctly. He didn't stand up for other artists who should have been inducted into this circus.

But at least he said something critical right there and then! Had to wait for it for 30 years...

Date: October 9, 2017 19:56

I've heard that the actual Hall is very cool to visit...anyone ever been?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 9, 2017 20:15

keefriff99
I've heard that the actual Hall is very cool to visit...anyone ever been?

Good idea, but too much emphasis on style over substance.
Understandable in a way, because it's hard to show musical ideas, but there's a lot of wardrobe and things like that.
Two things I remember that I liked: there was a clip of Elvis signing some gospel tunes in a relaxed setting with his boys; there was a Stones exhibit that showcased how there guitar interplay changed when Jones, Taylor or Wood was playing along with Keith.
Also another recorded exhibit of the playing/recording choices they made in Satisfaction -- for example, Charlie playing the snare on 1-2-3-4 to give the song quicker momentum.

Date: October 9, 2017 23:12

frenki09
Hairball

He complained mostly about how expensive and limited the tickets were for his family members for the induction, if I remember correctly. He didn't stand up for other artists who should have been inducted into this circus.

But at least he said something critical right there and then! Had to wait for it for 30 years...

Yes, but not sure if you missed this part of my original post - the part you edited out with a link to RollingStone.com,
where he goes quite a bit further than complaining about how limited the tickets were for his family members.

Here it is again, and I'll copy and paste the entire article as well:

Steve Miller on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: 'I'm Gonna Get These Guys'

Steve Miller

Newly inducted rocker tells Howard Stern he's "planning to investigate" the Hall, saying, "They're gonna be sorry that they treated all these people this way"

Weeks after calling the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a "private boys' club" full of "@#$%& gangsters and crooks," 2016 inductee Steve Miller said he's "planning to investigate" the organization. "It's gonna get better. I'm gonna get these guys," the rocker told The Howard Stern Show on SiriusXM. "They're gonna be sorry that they treated all these people this way."

Miller said he's "planning to keep [the story] in the news," noting he already has the Rock Hall's public documents. "I wanna see where they're spending the money," he said. "I wanna see who's being paid. I wanna check it all out … The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's actually going to go to Cleveland. The Museum's actually gonna mean something. The funding they raise is actually gonna be used for music education before I'm done."

A representative for the Hall of Fame declined to comment.

Not sure exactly what this all means, but he seemed pretty upset about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a whole, not just the amount of seats for his family.
But seeing as this article is dated from last year (June of 2016), and nothing has happened yet, maybe he's calmed down and smoked a spliff like the Space Cowboy he is.
After all, he's a joker, he's a smoker, and he's a midnight toker....smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 23:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 10, 2017 02:14

Humble Pie, never ever mentioned!!!!!

Date: October 10, 2017 11:46

Hairball

Not sure exactly what this all means, but he seemed pretty upset about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a whole, not just the amount of seats for his family.
But seeing as this article is dated from last year (June of 2016), and nothing has happened yet, maybe he's calmed down and smoked a spliff like the Space Cowboy he is.
After all, he's a joker, he's a smoker, and he's a midnight toker....smoking smiley

Well... I sure hope I'll hear from him on the subject-matter.

Date: October 10, 2017 12:13

"With Chuck Berry or The Rolling Stones, the decision was a no-brainer," adds a nominating committee veteran. "There aren’t many no-brainers now," says Jann Wenner, 69, chairman of the Rock Hall Foundation and founder, editor and publisher of Rolling Stone.

A few no-brainers that still have not been inducted -- and I am being very objective here:

Ten Years After (A personal favourite of mine, but even if you don't like them you know they should have been inducted into the Hall a long time ago! Long, long time ago! Alvin Lee is one of the few guitar Gods! It just hurts that I would see Bon Jovi being inducted before these legends. BJ may have been commercially more successful, but that should matter the least when nominating artists, musicians.)
Jethro Tull
Black Crowes
ELP
Canned Heat (never even nominated much to my surprise)
Willie Nelson
Doobie Bros.
Monkees
Procol Harum
Bad Company
Steppenwolf
Nazareth
Mott the Hoople

And how about Uriah Heep or Blood Sweat and Tears? Rory Gallagher?

No John Mayall or Alexis Korner???!!!!!!!!!!

The Troggs never even nominated? Not once?!

Outrageous!

[Not In The Hall Of Fame]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 13, 2017 14:19

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s 2018 inductees have been announced. Nina Simone, the Cars, Bon Jovi, the Moody Blues, and Dire Straits will all receive the honor.

[pitchfork.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 13, 2017 14:56

The Cars getting the nod before J Geils Band illuminates the farce the hall has become. Glad to see Sister Rosetta Tharpe get the respect.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home