Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 22, 2017 16:44

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

The good overall sound and how the band swings is ditto hard to get through a cellphone recording.

Of course you can hear mistakes and cool licks, but the punch you get in your gut in a concert will never be there.

I concur with that, every VHS and DVD release of the Stones has Keith way way down in the mix. Imagine how great it would have been to hear Keith really loud when he was playing great pre 05'
This is what I know and what my ears hear when I have attended shows .Keith's volume is turned up loud during intros , solos and certain trademark licks that are his, for instance his trademark open G chord that he starts Honky Tonk with ,then his volume is reduced .Ditto for the official live release from the vault and other live official live recordings .Proof ? check out any live boots from the past couple of tours .

I know. This is yet another example of that conspiratorial creep Jagger keeping his erstwhile buddy under his thumb while he directs the musical output of the band. You know what we need to do, don't you? FREE KEITH!

If you don't believe me listen to the Keith playing Brown Sugar at the Fonda gig.
(Its just been released as a taster )
Compare Keith's guitar in that mix to Keith's sound at any gig since 2012. Keith is so low in the official release of live recordings.
I get the feeling Keith has a deal, Keith gets to blast his guitar every night live, but accepts it has to be toned down for official DVD or Blue Ray releases.

I am not a technician and i don't know who is responsible for Keith's guitar volume on DVD release, it might have absolutely nothing to do with Mick for all i know. All i do know is on the recordings i have, the guitars are no where near as loud as when at the show or on youtube.

FREE YOURSELF

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 22, 2017 16:45

I think Ronnie should play the solo on SFTD, I imagine it would be great. It's such a lackluster opener for a concert when it's starts with a weak solo.

Date: September 22, 2017 16:50

RaiseTheKnife
I think Ronnie should play the solo on SFTD, I imagine it would be great. It's such a lackluster opener for a concert when it's starts with a weak solo.

It doesn't start with a weak solo.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 22, 2017 17:12

DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife

I wish, just once, they'd play it like the original studio cut... Percussion & vocal adlibs to start, piano and bass to carry the tune. Bill never got the chance to carry that one live (and Keith played it in the studio) but I think it would be cool, if Chuck could lay back far enough, for Charlie and Daryl to do the heavy lifting just once. A pretty unique opportunity for the bass to literally play the roll of rhythm guitar. Although Bill actually tends to do that (quite subtly) in much of what he played with the Stones. Especially live, it would be cool to actually hear it happen in a featured way one time!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 22, 2017 17:19

DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife

Good call although can ronnie do it?

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 22, 2017 17:46

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife

He would lift the whole song if he took the solo. Ever since 1989 he's never had a chance to solo over SFTD and he could at least by given the ''second solo''.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 17:50 by RaiseTheKnife.

Date: September 22, 2017 17:51

RaiseTheKnife
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife

He would lift the whole song if he took the solo. Ever since 1989 he's never had a chance to solo over SFTD and he could at least by given the ''second solo''.

Ever since 1975 smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 22, 2017 18:20

stone4ever
[I am not a technician and i don't know who is responsible for Keith's guitar volume on DVD release, ... All i do know is on the recordings i have, the guitars are no where near as loud as when at the show or on youtube.

FREE YOURSELF

quite agree.

It's true of all recent live releases,
The guitars are nothing like loud enough !

They're supposed to sound nasty !

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 22, 2017 18:33

RaiseTheKnife

That should never happen IMO, it's Keith's to have and to hold.....

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 18:46

Maindefender
RaiseTheKnife

That should never happen IMO, it's Keith's to have and to hold.....
Absolutely. It is ALWAYS Keith's solo, for better or worse. Anyone else playing it would be a travesty.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 22, 2017 19:42

RaiseTheKnife

Well until recently Ronnie's solos haven't been up to much, i have not enjoyed them as much as Keith's .

Lets keep with Keith on SFTD, the power generated the other night was spine chilling, if Keith keeps improving that one it's a must have start to the show.

Like Keith's, Ronnie's solos are very hit and miss. His solo on SMU sucked the big one in Zurich. His Tumbling Dice isn't much to be desired, and Midnight Rambler has gone down hill big time, especially the version of it at Zurich, it was so repetitive and out of ideas..

As if Keith would hand a classic Stones solo he wrote like SFTD , Bitch, GS, IORR, HTW, or Satisfaction to a guy like Ronnie. That's like going out of the frying pan and into the fire.

BTW Keith played some brilliant solos in Zurich and they will only get better as the tour progresses. This could be Keith's breakthrough into playing as good as he did in 02' 03'. I can feel it, he got a kick up the ass in Austria and a vote of no confidence from the band winking smiley and its done him a lot of good.

Keith can be lazy ( yes i know at 74 he is allowed to be lazy ) and he mustn't be allowed to coast or go into automatic pilot. I expected him to come out with all guns blazing in Zurich and that's exactly what happened.

He can still play and play well if he feels like it, despite age, arthritis, and the head bang, he still has it. He moves well, he is fit enough to do 2.5 hours with ease.
People just watch him, he will prowl that stage and steal the limelight by show 8 or 9 of this tour.

Oh unless of course he decides to hit the bottle or the weed a bit too hard, and then this whole deal will become an embarrassing mess lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 20:02 by stone4ever.

Date: September 22, 2017 19:51

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
Its common sense man, what is wrong with you.

Have been periodically asking myself that for the better part of my adult life.

This is why its impossible to stay annoyed with you Longbeach, you have a lovely way of not taking yourself or anyone else too seriously.
One of life's greatest virtues my friend.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 22, 2017 20:50

well i'm staying annoyed with him;

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 23:47 by hopkins.

Date: September 22, 2017 21:39

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife

Do you think he dares to ask Keith? smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 22, 2017 23:09

Just came across this Sympathy version from the second O2 show, what a great solo! Wonder why he doesn't do those high notes anymore..
[youtu.be]

Date: September 22, 2017 23:32

StonedRambler
Just came across this Sympathy version from the second O2 show, what a great solo! Wonder why he doesn't do those high notes anymore..
[youtu.be]

This clip isn't Sympathy.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 22, 2017 23:39

I watched a few clips and it doesn't look good overall, not to mention Keith. Sasha looked uncomfortable going to do her bit during Gimme Shelter. It just wasn't clicking. When I think of Gimme Shelter live I think of the ending of the film and how awesome that was. But that was 48 years ago. It still feels strange mentioning such large distances in time.

The staging and lighting is amazing, something fresh and new. Four giant cell phone tower monoliths with little tiny ants below. It's like there is a disconnect between the super high tech staging and lighting and the old fogies performing on it. I can imagine the ("old") '81 Stones on that amazing stage doing amazing things. Realistically, that's a stage that was made for someone 40 years younger. For example, I can imagine a Katy Perry show on that stage and Katy and her band and her dancers completely blowing the audience away.

Sometimes Keith looked like a lost old man hobbling about on stage. He really looked like he wasn't enjoying himself and was saying to himself, "What am I doing here?"

Yes, the clip of Jumping Jack Flash sounded pretty good, but one song doesn't make a concert. And it looked to me like the audience was not moving at all, just taking in a sound and light show spectacle, almost like there wasn't even a band performing.

And it is kooky to read people saying that they were "fantastic" and "never sounded better." Is there some kind of subliminal brainwashing going on? Likewise for the people with "broken hearts" that are so "offended." You appreciate good art when it is truly good, and the boys have done some really good art in their time.

I hope the rest of this mini tour is not a cringe fest, but that remains to be seen. If it is, the Stones are going to have to be honest with themselves and do some soul searching. Like really, why not retire in your own personal nirvana?

Date: September 22, 2017 23:47

MileHigh
I watched a few clips and it doesn't look good overall, not to mention Keith. Sasha looked uncomfortable going to do her bit during Gimme Shelter. It just wasn't clicking. When I think of Gimme Shelter live I think of the ending of the film and how awesome that was. But that was 48 years ago. It still feels strange mentioning such large distances in time.

The staging and lighting is amazing, something fresh and new. Four giant cell phone tower monoliths with little tiny ants below. It's like there is a disconnect between the super high tech staging and lighting and the old fogies performing on it. I can imagine the ("old") '81 Stones on that amazing stage doing amazing things. Realistically, that's a stage that was made for someone 40 years younger. For example, I can imagine a Katy Perry show on that stage and Katy and her band and her dancers completely blowing the audience away.

Sometimes Keith looked like a lost old man hobbling about on stage. He really looked like he wasn't enjoying himself and was saying to himself, "What am I doing here?"

Yes, the clip of Jumping Jack Flash sounded pretty good, but one song doesn't make a concert. And it looked to me like the audience was not moving at all, just taking in a sound and light show spectacle, almost like there wasn't even a band performing.

And it is kooky to read people saying that they were "fantastic" and "never sounded better." Is there some kind of subliminal brainwashing going on? Likewise for the people with "broken hearts" that are so "offended." You appreciate good art when it is truly good, and the boys have done some really good art in their time.

I hope the rest of this mini tour is not a cringe fest, but that remains to be seen. If it is, the Stones are going to have to be honest with themselves and do some soul searching. Like really, why not retire in your own personal nirvana?

Which show are you talking about?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 22, 2017 23:53

Does it really matter?

Date: September 22, 2017 23:59

stone4ever
StonedRambler
[youtu.be]

This clip isn't Sympathy.

I like Keith's new version, the charisma of the man from 2.45 seconds in on the solo is just, oh i don't know. Unfortunately man recording with mobile misses the next solo and we get to see Mick doing what can only be described as wafting farts.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 23, 2017 00:11

Keith can still play!

I think that he has been playing these same songs for so long that he experiments with new solos and weaving and things go askew.

As an example, SFTD. I wish he would play the solos in the 12th position with the notes straight out of the blues pentatonic scale like he did on the original record and live for years.

He could easily do it but he now plays it in the middle of the neck with some funky unresolved notes just for a variation.

He always said if he had to play the song exactly the same way he wouldn't do it anymore.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2017 00:13

stone4ever
I like Keith's new version, the charisma of the man from 2.45 seconds in on the solo is just, oh i don't know. Unfortunately man recording with mobile misses the next solo and we get to see Mick doing what can only be described as wafting farts.

[www.youtube.com]

Actually, that would be the worst way to describe it.
Best and most accurate would be .. "and we get to see Mick doing what he does better than anyone who ever lived. Strutting and moving like.. Jagger!"

Date: September 23, 2017 00:25

MisterDDDD
stone4ever

[www.youtube.com]

Best and most accurate would be .. "and we get to see Mick doing what he does better than anyone who ever lived. Strutting and moving like.. Jagger!"

I would rather have seen Keith on his second solo if its all the same.
Do you have to keep telling me how to describe Mick, if you don't mind i have my own mind, what Mick was doing while Keith took the solo looked exactly like i said to my eyes.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 23, 2017 00:26

This is one of the worst solos by Keith in recent memory. I can say that because I have been playing for 45 years and I know every song note for note including all of Mick Taylor's solos.Let Ronnie play the solo form now on, please.

Date: September 23, 2017 00:32

Midnight Toker
This is one of the worst solos by Keith in recent memory. I can say that because I have been playing for 45 years and I know every song note for note including all of Mick Taylor's solos.Let Ronnie play the solo form now on, please.

Believe me dude, keith has done a whole lot worse in recent memory winking smiley

Do you know what, i don't care because when i see Keith enjoying himself up there i don't give a damn what anyone thinks because the man is just incredible.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2017 00:36

stone4ever
MisterDDDD
stone4ever

[www.youtube.com]

Do you have to keep telling me how to describe Mick, if you don't mind i have my own mind, what Mick was doing while Keith took the solo looked exactly like i said to my eyes.

Some fuxed up eyes, for an alleged fan.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 23, 2017 00:38

MileHigh
Does it really matter?

Nope it doesn't Keith is shot! Maybe they should add another guitar

Date: September 23, 2017 00:45

MileHigh

Well i have to agree with the majority of your observations, but i wonder did you see them in Zurich ?? much better. For me i have come to expect that Mick, Ronnie and Charlie cannot improve anymore, they bring their A game, the interesting thing is that if one man (Keith ) can improve considerably throughout the tour then we have a game changer. But Mick i am afraid to say can't offer anymore than what he already is offering. And for me that is sad.

Date: September 23, 2017 00:48

MisterDDDD
stone4ever
MisterDDDD
stone4ever

[www.youtube.com]

Some fuxed up eyes, for an alleged fan.

Oh so i can't be a fan because i would rather the camera caught keiths solo as opposed to Mick doing nothing but moving his arms in a pointless manner.

I am a bigger fan of this band than you could possibly know.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 23, 2017 00:57

hopkins
well i'm staying annoyed with him;

et tu, hopkins-san?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home