Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 25, 2017 13:19

terraplane
Trainwreck

Keith seems lost somehow. I think he sort of knows what he's doing tempo wise but he just doesnt weave himself into the mix. Mick on the other hand sounds a lot better, gone are the nasal aerobic Peter Panerisms of the last 28 years.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 13:27

As an example, listen to HW in Zurich compared to Lucca. In Zurich they nailed the whole show, everything was great. Interestingly, per iorr reports, Zurich had the least stressful atmosphere for fans.. bathrooms were close by, merch tables were easy to get to, not too much walking involved. The audience was happy. That was the best show so far. The Stones have to interact with their audience.

Anyway, Honky Tonk Women from Lucca... the icey sound is there on Keith's guitar. He isn't out of tune, he isn't playing out of key. Is it just that the sound is so drenched in treble, that it naturally distorts, breaks up, and makes a vibrato effect? That's what it appears like to me.

And I think he's playing through the neck position humbucker on Micawber, right? On HW? Unless he's always switched to the bridge position on that song and I didn't know it. Could be..

But why does Keith's guitar sound so much different on HW from Lucca compared to Zurich? The tempo is about the same. He's playing the song pretty much the same way he does at both shows. But the sound is different. It's icy. Like ice, lots of treble.

Again, not complaining, just some observations about their sound as I hear it.

Date: September 25, 2017 13:37

@Redhotcarpet: oh but Mick did rush his phrasing on LARS. Now that might have been a complaint.. a few hours on the internet again, now the complaints are rolling out... It's too bright a light... I don't think Keith is lost at all, Mr. red hot carpet. Btw, Mick did do a great job on Play With Fire, kind of doing the nasally thing with his voice, the only time I've heard him sing like that for a while, and it worked that time. So anyway, great job Stones, thanks for entertaining me so much.

Date: September 25, 2017 13:49

Most of Lucca tracks are very good or great. That is why I posted Jumpingjack flash from Lucca video.

I wonder what the people in this thread expect. Symphonic orchestra? Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck?

Keith and the whole band play good or well, sometimes they make mistakes, one evening is better, one worse.

That is alright ... It is only rock and roll ...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 25, 2017 13:59

For goodness sake ...

If you want to hear perfection...

... play the bloody record ! grinning smiley

Date: September 25, 2017 14:01

Totally agree with you, JJFlash5. I think what's going on with Keith's playing, when others have been less than appreciative of him in their reviews, has to do with a warbly-sort-of-feel about the sound.

Suddenly it's like a high-pitched warbling sound appears, and you don't know if you're being lifted up or shaken around, or maybe part of both.. Not always unpleasant, but sometimes the sound just shakes a bit and rings in at a very high register.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 25, 2017 15:18

MisterDDDD
OOps.. wrong thread.. winking smiley

Had the pleasure of meeting her at Lisa's concert before DT2..
The camera really doesn't do her justice. Gorgeous girl!!

I wonder why Lisa wanted out of the Stones, seems a strange decision this late in her career, perhaps there was things she had to do on her bucket list and time is running out for her as well as the Stones.

MisterDDDD, i owe you an apology, i had no idea you was such a dedicated Stones fan, i mean to go to the Fonda a gig just to hear it from outside is amazing.

I really enjoy your posts too, just a pity we got off on the wrong foot.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 25, 2017 15:31

Redhotcarpet
terraplane
Trainwreck

Keith seems lost somehow. I think he sort of knows what he's doing tempo wise but he just doesnt weave himself into the mix. Mick on the other hand sounds a lot better, gone are the nasal aerobic Peter Panerisms of the last 28 years.

Don't get me wrong, i like you and your observations Redhotcarpet, and its clear to see that you have been a big fan of Keiths.

I'm just curious as to what changed in your heart and head towards him.

Seems you only look for the negative in him these days. I know its understandable because it would be an insult to the way Keith was, to say he is still that Keith Richards. Ignore if my post makes you feel difficult, its no big deal just curious as to why you are so critical of him.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 15:50

Spud
For goodness sake ...

If you want to hear perfection...

... play the bloody record ! grinning smiley
Enough with that nonsense!

JJF was a trainwreck. That riff is one of Keith's shining moments, and supposedly his favorite song to play, and he's all over the place on the tempo in the beginning.

Date: September 25, 2017 15:52

Hairball
jumpingjackflash5
Well, Keith is alright smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

He looks good, but maybe too much posing rather than focusing on his playing.
Overall sounds like a butcher job from entire band, but the audio is poor quality so kind of hard to tell.
I'd be happy see them in small venue similar to what Dylan's been doing...and $100 would be the most I would pay.
Keith is the only one I hear butchering it. The rest of the guys are simply struggling to hold it together when he riffs out of time throughout the song.

The ending was pretty damn good, but the intro and middle section were shaky as hell.

Date: September 25, 2017 15:56

It's nice to see Keith smiling at the crowd and mugging, which leads me to believe he really has no idea how screwed up his sense of timing is sometimes.

That to me is the most troublesome aspect of his playing now. He used to be so dagger-like sharp in how he hit a chord or a note at just the right point in the beat to make a song soar, but now he's a few milliseconds too soon or, more often, too late, and it makes his playing sound very clunky and clumsy.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:04

The next DVD will be perfect what's the problem ? ^^

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:06

For me, the last two shows have been just fine (yes, I'm judging from Youtube). Am I at all surprised they bounced back after such a rough opening? Yes, considering their ages. That said, they've bounced back before after rough openings. The difference was when they were 37 or 38 years old, I couldn't watch it live on the internet and they still seemed vital enough. Recovering at 73 or 74 years old seems like a small miracle. Here's hoping they maintain the level so everyone has a great time.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:18

stone4ever
MisterDDDD

I wonder why Lisa wanted out of the Stones, seems a strange decision this late in her career, perhaps there was things she had to do on her bucket list and time is running out for her as well as the Stones.

MisterDDDD, i owe you an apology, i had no idea you was such a dedicated Stones fan, i mean to go to the Fonda a gig just to hear it from outside is amazing.

Thanks. My apologies as well.
While we disagree about much, I appreciate the passion you have for the band .. well, Keith anyway smoking smiley

I believe after the success of the documentary Twenty Feet from Stardom, Lisa decided if she was ever going to be able to achieve success on her own, that was the time. Was a thrill to be at her Indio gig where she passed the torch so to speak, to Sasha as they sang Wild Horses together.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 25, 2017 17:09

Rocky Dijon
For me, the last two shows have been just fine (yes, I'm judging from Youtube). Am I at all surprised they bounced back after such a rough opening? Yes, considering their ages. That said, they've bounced back before after rough openings. The difference was when they were 37 or 38 years old, I couldn't watch it live on the internet and they still seemed vital enough. Recovering at 73 or 74 years old seems like a small miracle. Here's hoping they maintain the level so everyone has a great time.
They've certainly sounded pretty great the last two shows...I was commenting specifically on JJF from Lucca, the beginning of which was pretty terrible.

Date: September 25, 2017 17:39

Alright, if somebody was not satisfied with JJF from Lucca, here is Street Fighting Man ...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 25, 2017 17:55

That sounds/looks good 2 me...

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 25, 2017 18:25

I think on certain songs they use a treble boost on some Keith riffs, like JJ Flash and the first chords of SFTD.

A nice call and response they get when Keith is falling out of the beat there, LOL

To me it sounds like Keith is on beat and Ronnie is too quick?

Date: September 25, 2017 18:58

beachbreak
I think on certain songs they use a treble boost on some Keith riffs, like JJ Flash and the first chords of SFTD.

Yeah, doesn't it seem like that? Is this something new?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 25, 2017 19:19

Hairball
jumpingjackflash5

[www.youtube.com]

Overall sounds like a butcher job from entire band, but the audio is poor quality so kind of hard to tell.
I'd be happy see them in small venue similar to what Dylan's been doing...and $100 would be the most I would pay.

To me ears, this version of Jack Flash on this video seems a little tighter, but God if they were to INCREASE the tempo a bit (and yes, this has been talked about and pontificated on previously on another thread, etc), IMHO, this would have more edge and work out fine...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2017 19:40

Sighunt
Hairball
jumpingjackflash5

[www.youtube.com]

To me ears, this version of Jack Flash on this video seems a little tighter, but God if they were to INCREASE the tempo a bit (and yes, this has been talked about and pontificated on previously on another thread, etc), IMHO, this would have more edge and work out fine...

It might be the slow tempo that makes the mistakes stand out more like a sore thumb. If it were quicker, might be less noticeable, but don't think he/they can handle it quicker than what they're playing. And generally speaking, it also seems Keith is back to acting like an actor with all the poses and hamming it up for the crowd, etc. vs. focusing more on his playing. Now that he's shaken off the rust of Hamburg (and the first few shows), his confidence is high and he probably thinks he can do no wrong. Can't blame him for having a good time with the fan interaction well-timed poses, etc, but unfortunately it doesn't help the matters of his sound and playing in any way.

Date: September 25, 2017 19:44

Your theory doesn't hold up if you consider how stoic he was in Hamburg. The happier the better IMHO.

Date: September 25, 2017 19:49

beachbreak

A nice call and response they get when Keith is falling out of the beat there, LOL

Keith is too late here.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2017 20:35

Socrates1
Your theory doesn't hold up if you consider how stoic he was in Hamburg. The happier the better IMHO.

Yet that was the first show - no time for games...still shaking off cobwebs after nearly a years absence from the stage takes 100% focus. Now that he's "back in the groove" and has his confidence back, he's goofing off again. Might be fun for some to watch, but it does take away from the sounds coming from his guitar. It's like trying to juggle and play the guitar at the same time, somethings going to suffer.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 25, 2017 20:35

DandelionPowderman
beachbreak

Keith is too late here.

Keith is too late first but then Ronnie fails to follow him and starts his trademark monotonic lick too early.

Date: September 25, 2017 20:39

I don't know Hairball, maybe we're too into this stuff sometimes.

Date: September 25, 2017 20:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 21:31 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: September 25, 2017 20:46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 21:32 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: September 25, 2017 20:47

DandelionPowderman
beachbreak

Keith is too late here.

And that's why I think you may be right about his hearing.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 25, 2017 20:51

stone4ever
MisterDDDD

MisterDDDD, i owe you an apology, i had no idea you was such a dedicated Stones fan, i mean to go to the Fonda a gig just to hear it from outside is amazing. Please do tell me why you think Lisa Fisher wanted out ?

Please tell me why you think Lisa Fisher wanted out ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 20:54 by TheGreek.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1669
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home