Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 22, 2017 06:00

Thank you, LongBeach. Cheers!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 06:05

Rocky Dijon
Thank you, LongBeach. Cheers!

You're welcome Mr Dijon; you've always been my favorite condiment.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 22, 2017 06:17

erad
stone4ever

And oh yeah DP that is a fine lick from Keith on YCAGWYW Love it, didn't think he still had it in him. Are you satisfied Keith is not going deaf now, i thought he was responding well to questions in recent interviews, a sure sign he's hearing well, and lets be honest the Stones play LOUD, you would have to be very hard of hearing not to hear whats being played .And with Keith's 200 million in the bank, i'm sure he can afford a decent hearing aid.winking smiley

Townshend's hearing is shot and he still plays fine.

[www.youtube.com]

exactly. And he's over 70 also...

Date: September 22, 2017 06:21

Ok, a new Stones tour begins.

Let's posit that there are 100 reasonably active members at IORR. Out of those 100, how many are in attendance at an individual show? Let's say 10.

Show #1: I for one would be perfectly happy (as one of the 90 not in attendance), to let the 10 who were there sit in judgement on the artistic quality of the show in question. I would reserve the right to my own opinion of course but in most cases I'd be wrong because they were there and I was changing diapers and drinking a beer at home while streaming a cellphone video on Youtube up to my ankles in Legos and bristle blocks. But why can't the other 90 in absentia yappers also shut up and pay fealty to those who were there? It's an enigma wrapped up inside a riddle.

From here on out it gets tricky.

Show #2: There are again 10 IORRians in attendance. 5 are new and 5 are repeats from the previous show. I'm really going to put my stock in the reports of those 5 repeaters. What, after all, do 5 newbies know compared to grizzled veterans of consecutive shows? Easy call.

Show #3: Some IORRian who went to the first show is back home changing his own kids' diapers and drinking a beer, like me. But, shit, he's just been to a show only a week before ... He's technically now one of us 90 in absentia yappers but I gotta believe his report on the YouTube videos from show #3 more than what my poor sorry-ass eyes and ears might experience ... cuz he's just been to a show pretty recently and I haven't been to one since 1978!

Show #4: 3 repeaters, 7 newbies. But the newbies at this show are awfully earnest and seem to know their shit so once again I of course take a back seat to them in attempting to plumb the merits of the concert. But that guy in Show #3 above is back and so is a guy who went to like 11 shows on the band's last tour a couple of years ago. Jeez, these dudes no doubt have unlocked the secrets of YouTube divination far more profoundly than I could ever hope to. Plus there's me and 87 other in absentia yappers.

It's confusing, yo. In fact, it's almost enough to make a poor boy or girl throw up his or her hands in frustration, simply trust his/her instincts, and let the devil take the hindmost.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 22, 2017 07:12

Wait a minute! You were old enough to see the Stones in 1978, but 39 years later you're changing a diaper and have kids playing with Legos? Who do you think you are, Mick Jagger? Ronnie Wood?

Bonus points for quoting "Winning Ugly."

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 22, 2017 08:25

DandelionPowderman

Do you get that feeling from cellphone recordings?

winking smiley

Only when extremely drunk and stoned winking smiley

Date: September 22, 2017 08:34

erad
stone4ever

And oh yeah DP that is a fine lick from Keith on YCAGWYW Love it, didn't think he still had it in him. Are you satisfied Keith is not going deaf now, i thought he was responding well to questions in recent interviews, a sure sign he's hearing well, and lets be honest the Stones play LOUD, you would have to be very hard of hearing not to hear whats being played .And with Keith's 200 million in the bank, i'm sure he can afford a decent hearing aid.winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I think in 89' Townsend was being a bit of a drama queen and toured and played behind a glass shield blocking out the rest of the band and mostly played acoustic because he said he had Tinnitus. I know because i attended a couple gigs on that tour, it may have been 88' not sure. Well the very next tour he decided he didn't have tinnitus and went back to blasting his electric guitar and played at a high level , possibly even higher level than before. Like Ronnie, Townsend improved with sobriety. I don't know that Pete is deaf, perhaps his ears are not what they were but that comes with age. Tinnitus can clear up, i had it for a year and now its gone.

Date: September 22, 2017 08:48

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

The good overall sound and how the band swings is ditto hard to get through a cellphone recording.

Of course you can hear mistakes and cool licks, but the punch you get in your gut in a concert will never be there.

I concur with that, every VHS and DVD release of the Stones has Keith way way down in the mix. Imagine how great it would have been to hear Keith really loud when he was playing great pre 05'

I know. This is yet another example of that conspiratorial creep Jagger keeping his erstwhile buddy under his thumb while he directs the musical output of the band. You know what we need to do, don't you? FREE KEITH!

If you don't believe me listen to the Keith playing Brown Sugar at the Fonda gig.
(Its just been released as a taster )
Compare Keith's guitar in that mix to Keith's sound at any gig since 2012. Keith is so low in the official release of live recordings.
I get the feeling Keith has a deal, Keith gets to blast his guitar every night live, but accepts it has to be toned down for official DVD or Blue Ray releases.

I am not a technician and i don't know who is responsible for Keith's guitar volume on DVD release, it might have absolutely nothing to do with Mick for all i know. All i do know is on the recordings i have, the guitars are no where near as loud as when at the show or on youtube.

FREE YOURSELF

Date: September 22, 2017 08:52

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
Been catching up on today's reaction and just want to make a few points.

Longbeach, i know it sounds hypercritical to say we can't judge the band by YouTube clips and then when they sound good, say yes we can make judgement from youtube clips.

Well come on mate, some youtube clips are of unlistenable and unwatchable quality and some almost capture the sound of being there, well not really but you know what i mean.

Also some clips are taken from positions where the band do sound poor, at a live gig the sound experience can be great or poor to the extreme, and can usually be determined just by where you are positioned. You know that as well as i.

So anyway LB the good news is, its official, we can judge by youtube clips but only when good quality is available, can't say fairer than that me old mate. winking smiley

Understood. In future, I shall rely on your good judgement to let me know which videos can be used in critical discussions and which cannot.

Its common sense man, what is wrong with you. You must know when a youtube recording is of poor quality, do you need someone on a Stones forum to validate what sounds awful to your ears and what sounds good.

Date: September 22, 2017 10:02

LongBeachArena72
Ok, a new Stones tour begins.

Let's posit that there are 100 reasonably active members at IORR. Out of those 100, how many are in attendance at an individual show? Let's say 10.

Show #1: I for one would be perfectly happy (as one of the 90 not in attendance), to let the 10 who were there sit in judgement on the artistic quality of the show in question. I would reserve the right to my own opinion of course but in most cases I'd be wrong because they were there and I was changing diapers and drinking a beer at home while streaming a cellphone video on Youtube up to my ankles in Legos and bristle blocks. But why can't the other 90 in absentia yappers also shut up and pay fealty to those who were there? It's an enigma wrapped up inside a riddle.

From here on out it gets tricky.

Show #2: There are again 10 IORRians in attendance. 5 are new and 5 are repeats from the previous show. I'm really going to put my stock in the reports of those 5 repeaters. What, after all, do 5 newbies know compared to grizzled veterans of consecutive shows? Easy call.

Show #3: Some IORRian who went to the first show is back home changing his own kids' diapers and drinking a beer, like me. But, shit, he's just been to a show only a week before ... He's technically now one of us 90 in absentia yappers but I gotta believe his report on the YouTube videos from show #3 more than what my poor sorry-ass eyes and ears might experience ... cuz he's just been to a show pretty recently and I haven't been to one since 1978!

Show #4: 3 repeaters, 7 newbies. But the newbies at this show are awfully earnest and seem to know their shit so once again I of course take a back seat to them in attempting to plumb the merits of the concert. But that guy in Show #3 above is back and so is a guy who went to like 11 shows on the band's last tour a couple of years ago. Jeez, these dudes no doubt have unlocked the secrets of YouTube divination far more profoundly than I could ever hope to. Plus there's me and 87 other in absentia yappers.

It's confusing, yo. In fact, it's almost enough to make a poor boy or girl throw up his or her hands in frustration, simply trust his/her instincts, and let the devil take the hindmost.

If the cellphone recordings give you just as much pleasure as being on the show, what's the problem, then? You can't convert people who prefer to attend the shows to refrain from going winking smiley

The whole discussion is ridiculous, imo. If one feels that the cellphone recording is enough to judge whether it was a good show or not, fine. If concert-goers don't think so, fine again.

«Brothers and sisters», or something...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 22, 2017 10:13

stone4ever
erad
stone4ever

[www.youtube.com]

I think in 89' Townsend was being a bit of a drama queen and toured and played behind a glass shield blocking out the rest of the band and mostly played acoustic because he said he had Tinnitus. I know because i attended a couple gigs on that tour, it may have been 88' not sure. Well the very next tour he decided he didn't have tinnitus and went back to blasting his electric guitar and played at a high level , possibly even higher level than before. Like Ronnie, Townsend improved with sobriety. I don't know that Pete is deaf, perhaps his ears are not what they were but that comes with age. Tinnitus can clear up, i had it for a year and now its gone.

video: [m.youtube.com]

Date: September 22, 2017 10:18

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

Longbeach, i know it sounds hypercritical to say we can't judge the band by YouTube clips and then when they sound good, say yes we can make judgement from youtube clips.

Well come on mate, some youtube clips are of unlistenable and unwatchable quality and some almost capture the sound of being there, well not really but you know what i mean.

Also some clips are taken from positions where the band do sound poor, at a live gig the sound experience can be great or poor to the extreme, and can usually be determined just by where you are positioned. You know that as well as i.

So anyway LB the good news is, its official, we can judge by youtube clips but only when good quality is available, can't say fairer than that me old mate. winking smiley

Understood. In future, I shall rely on your good judgement to let me know which videos can be used in critical discussions and which cannot.

Its common sense man, what is wrong with you. You must know when a youtube recording is of poor quality, do you need someone on a Stones forum to validate what sounds awful to your ears and what sounds good.

Well this has nothing to do with sound quality right? Keith seems more awake now from what i can tell and he was surprisingly good on Ycagwyw according to a youtube clip.

Date: September 22, 2017 10:37

Redhotcarpet
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

Well this has nothing to do with sound quality right? Keith seems more awake now from what i can tell and he was surprisingly good on Ycagwyw according to a youtube clip.

Well LB just keeps banging on about youtube clips, what are we talking about here .
I was saying there are good and bad you tube clips. As for keith , yes its plain to see the man has come out of some kind of stupor and is present again. I still put it down to drink. On nights he isn't hung over or drunk or Stoned he has more life in him.

Date: September 22, 2017 10:51

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

Do you get that feeling from cellphone recordings?

winking smiley

Only when extremely drunk and stoned winking smiley

You can feel Micawber in your gut because you're stoned? Let me have some that, too, mate! grinning smiley

Date: September 22, 2017 11:10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 23:05 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: September 22, 2017 11:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 23:06 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 22, 2017 11:30

DandelionPowderman
DandelionPowderman

[...]

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

From yesterday:

[www.youtube.com]

Wow, I'm not sure I would have recognized it, good catch!

Date: September 22, 2017 11:39

matxil
DandelionPowderman
DandelionPowderman

[...]

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

From yesterday:

[www.youtube.com]

He played it about 15 times during YCAGWYW, so... grinning smiley

Date: September 22, 2017 14:34

Rocky Dijon
Wait a minute! You were old enough to see the Stones in 1978, but 39 years later you're changing a diaper and have kids playing with Legos? Who do you think you are, Mick Jagger? Ronnie Wood?

Bonus points for quoting "Winning Ugly."

It has been my great good pleasure to have lived a truly ridiculous life.

Date: September 22, 2017 14:36

stone4ever
FREE YOURSELF

Good advice, my brother. Like Lil Stevie Wonder I'm just trying to reach my higher ground.

Date: September 22, 2017 14:38

stone4ever
Its common sense man, what is wrong with you.

Have been periodically asking myself that for the better part of my adult life.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: September 22, 2017 14:50

Comparing Zurich 2014 and 2017, wich I attended both, Keith is clearly playing better now! Of course he's getting older and technique skills get slower, but he makes that up with soul and a perfect sense or rhythm.

Funny how all this periscope and youtube fans will settle with very poor quality sound and imagewise, but shoot at Keith based on a video from a person who prefers broadcasting when he could be watching and living a Stones show live. Long live smartphones and long live Keith Richards!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 22, 2017 14:52

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
DandelionPowderman

[...]

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

From yesterday:

[www.youtube.com]

The way the Keith lick blends with Ronnie’s run of Mixolydian sixths there is very sweet, almost accidentally funky. The Weave abides!

Date: September 22, 2017 14:53

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
DandelionPowderman

[...]

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

From yesterday:

[www.youtube.com]

The way the Keith lick blends with Ronnie’s run of Mixolydian sixths there is very sweet, almost accidentally funky. The Weave abides!

My sentiments exactly! thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 16:02

So I suppose the question becomes: what's the more valid assessment?

Being there and experiencing the show in its glory...the volume, the adrenaline rush of being in the presence of four living legends, the shared communal experience of live music, feeding off the crowd vibe...

Or watching a high-quality video online, where you can clearly hear mistakes and make a dispassionate assessment, removed from the excitement of the moment?

Date: September 22, 2017 16:12

keefriff99

Being there and experiencing the show in its glory...the volume, the adrenaline rush of being in the presence of four living legends, the shared communal experience of live music, feeding off the crowd vibe...

Or watching a high-quality video online, where you can clearly hear mistakes and make a dispassionate assessment, removed from the excitement of the moment?

Do you doubt the answer to that question?

Music is communication, and – to a degree – entertainment. The more filters it goes through, less of the real stuff remains.

Date: September 22, 2017 16:14

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

Music is communication, and – to a degree – entertainment. The more filters it goes through, less of the real stuff remains.
Lol, I'm just asking. Of course I'd rather be at the show, but the question I pose is pretty much the entire crux of this thread.

Date: September 22, 2017 16:15

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

Lol, I'm just asking. Of course I'd rather be at the show, but the question I pose is pretty much the entire crux of this thread.

Well, this thread is about Keith's guitar playing, isn't it grinning smiley

Date: September 22, 2017 16:18

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

Well, this thread is about Keith's guitar playing, isn't it grinning smiley
Lol, well yes, but in the context of those who have been going to the shows vs those of us watching videos online.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 22, 2017 16:23

DandelionPowderman

What a great quote/observation/explanation. I like it. And will most likely steal or at least borrow it periodically!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home