Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 24
Re: New Book, CD and LP: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 6, 2017 00:27

It looks like this release is the rumoured "live album compilation", sadly 15-20 years too late.

It will sell a couple of thousand copies with the right promotion, but it will be a minor release since no one is interested on live albums anymore.

Re: New Book, CD and LP: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 6, 2017 00:49

georgelicks
It looks like this release is the rumoured "live album compilation", sadly 15-20 years too late.

It will sell a couple of thousand copies with the right promotion, but it will be a minor release since no one is interested on live albums anymore.

Well, does it really matter how much it will sell?
The deluxe version of Some Girls did not sell even half as much as the deluxe version of Exile and still, they went on to Sticky Fingers, which was a great succes. The band knows these kind of releases are for the fanbase and we are plenty enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 00:51 by Blueranger.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 6, 2017 02:47

Blueranger
georgelicks

The deluxe version of Some Girls did not sell even half as much as the deluxe version of Exile and still, they went on to Sticky Fingers, which was a great succes. The band knows these kind of releases are for the fanbase and we are plenty enough.

Of course it matters. Not to the fans of course. At least at first sight. But low sales may discourage them from digging deeper into the archives. And that should matter to the fans. Although, I'm really beginning to ask myself what I should do with a box set of, let's say all surviving outtakes or live recordings from the 60's or all Some Girls outtakes in 10 or 15 years from now when I'm 70 when even right now a lot of older Stones fans who shared my enthusiasm for the band in the past and with whom I enjoyed so many lively discussions about the band and their music are either gone or have lost interest in the band already years ago. So I tend to agree with Georgelicks that despite being welcomed, these releases come at least 10 or 15 years too late.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 04:43

It’s a legacy release. It didn’t cost much and it won’t sell much. It’s for history. Thanks for jumping in for me, Rocky. I didn’t have a link. I guess the Amazon links came up soon enough though.

Date: October 6, 2017 06:32

can't wait for the tracklisting

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 6, 2017 10:11

From iTunes

Deluxe edition:

1. Come On (Saturday Club 1963)
2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Saturday Club 1965)
3. Roll Over Beethoven (Saturday Club 1963)
4. The Spider and the Fly (Yeah Yeah 1965)
5. Cops and Robbers (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
6. It's All Over Now (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
7. Route 66 (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
8. Memphis, Tennessee (Saturday Club 1963)
9. Down the Road Apiece (Top Gear 1965)
10. The Last Time (Top Gear 1965)
11. Cry to Me (Saturday Club 1965)
12. Mercy, Mercy (Yeah Yeah 1965)
13. Oh! Baby (We Got a Good Thing Goin') (Saturday Club 1965)
14. Around and Around (Top Gear 1964)
15. Hi Heel Sneakers (Saturday Club 1965)
16. Fannie Mae (Saturday Club 1965)
17. You Better Move On (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
18. Mona (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
19. I Wanna Be Your Man (Saturday Club 1964)
20. Carol (Saturday Club 1964)
21. I'm Moving On (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
22. If You Need Me (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
23. Walking the Dog (Saturday Club 1964)
24. Confessin' the Blues (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
25. Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (Top Gear 1965)
26. Little by Little (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
27. Ain't That Loving You Baby (Rhythm and Blues / BBC World Service 1964)
28. Beautiful Delilah (Saturday Club 1964)
29. Crackin' Up (Top Gear 1964)
30. I Can't Be Satisfied (Top Gear 1964)
31. I Just Want to Make Love to You (Saturday Club 1964)
32. 2120 South Michigan Avenue (Rhythm and Blues / BBC World Service 1964)

The standard edition is just the first 18 tracks.
Don't ask me about the dates, please winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 10:12 by ironbelly.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 6, 2017 10:14

retired_dog
Blueranger
georgelicks

Of course it matters. Not to the fans of course. At least at first sight. But low sales may discourage them from digging deeper into the archives. And that should matter to the fans. Although, I'm really beginning to ask myself what I should do with a box set of, let's say all surviving outtakes or live recordings from the 60's or all Some Girls outtakes in 10 or 15 years from now when I'm 70 when even right now a lot of older Stones fans who shared my enthusiasm for the band in the past and with whom I enjoyed so many lively discussions about the band and their music are either gone or have lost interest in the band already years ago. So I tend to agree with Georgelicks that despite being welcomed, these releases come at least 10 or 15 years too late.

Dont agree with.. coming 10 or 15 years too late. Its fine now. i am 57, and looking forward to this release VERY Much. Its coming at the right time.
Jeroen

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 6, 2017 10:38

georgelicks

Well I'm not really; but a DVD yes preferably.
You can never tell though. A 2015 Paul Simon 'Ultimate Collection' (yet another!) went to number one in the UK. Platinum award. Not sure if it was good promotion or a 'new audience' or what. His fanbase would surely have all the tracks though already.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 6, 2017 10:56

Apparently fake stereo reverb applied to the available preview track on iTunes.
Not a comprehensive set, better than nothing. If they don't have any new sources it won't be better than the very recent fan-made set but at least it's some kind of recognition for the Jones-era. I do hope they haven't messed with the other tracks too much.
How can we get that Radio Luxembourg March 1964 session ? That would be a brilliant "all-new" release and the band could bypass ABKCO and the BBC couldn't they ? Plus bung Bill a bit of dosh to get a high quality transfer of his acetate.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 6, 2017 11:04

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 6, 2017 11:05

Presumably the Brian Jones Estate should get some income from any sales profits. Even 20% if shared equally?
Mick and Keith will receive more as composers of course.

Date: October 6, 2017 11:21

That looks a bit different from the iTunes track list. Bit more comprehensive so that's a plus.
Looks like they've taken the track info from the book. See my earlier posts for the correct date for Ain't That Loving You Baby and others.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 6, 2017 11:54

Come On

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 6, 2017 12:09

For me the greatest song they never officially recorded from the Brian era -

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 6, 2017 12:44

It looks they omitted the following songs from my Beat Beat at the Beeb bootleg.

Down In The Bottom - A non-lp track and should have been included.
Don't Lie To Me
Bye Bye Johnny
Not Fade Away
You Can Make It If You Try

You also have to get the 2 disc version to get all of the songs that did not appear on the regular lps.

The Rolling Stones – On Air

Come On Saturday Club, 1963
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction Saturday Club, 1965
Roll Over Beethoven Saturday Club, 1963
The Spider And The Fly Yeah Yeah, 1965
Cops And Robbers Blues in Rhythm, 1964
It’s All Over Now The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964
Route 66 Blues in Rhythm, 1964
Memphis, Tennessee Saturday Club, 1963
Down The Road Apiece Top Gear, 1965
The Last Time Top Gear, 1965
Cry To Me Saturday Club, 1965
Mercy, Mercy Yeah Yeah, 1965
Oh! Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin’) Saturday Club, 1965
Around And Around Top Gear, 1964
Hi Heel Sneakers Saturday Club, 1964
Fannie Mae Saturday Club, 1965
You Better Move On Blues in Rhythm, 1964
Mona Blues In Rhythm, 1964

Bonus Tracks (Deluxe)

I Wanna Be Your Man Saturday Club, 1964
Carol Saturday Club, 1964
I’m moving On The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964
If You Need Me The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964
Walking The Dog Saturday Club, 1964
Confessin’ The Blues The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love Top Gear, 1965
Little By Little The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964
Ain’t That Loving You Baby Rhythm And Blues, 1964
Beautiful Delilah Saturday Club, 1964
Crackin’ Up Top Gear, 1964
I Can’t Be Satisfied Top Gear, 1964
I Just Want to Make Love To You Saturday Club, 1964
2120 South Michigan Avenue Rhythm and Blues, 1964

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 13:03 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 6, 2017 13:06

ash
Not a comprehensive set, better than nothing. If they don't have any new sources it won't be better than the very recent fan-made set but at least it's some kind of recognition for the Jones-era. I do hope they haven't messed with the other tracks too much.
How can we get that Radio Luxembourg March 1964 session ? That would be a brilliant "all-new" release and the band could bypass ABKCO and the BBC couldn't they ? Plus bung Bill a bit of dosh to get a high quality transfer of his acetate.

"Every track has been revolutionary restored via 'Audio Source Separation’ and you will be able to hear the remarkable difference this makes to each song."
[www.facebook.com]

So, what is 'Audio Source Separation’ exactly?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 6, 2017 13:58

Deltics
ash

"Every track has been revolutionary restored via 'Audio Source Separation’ and you will be able to hear the remarkable difference this makes to each song."
[www.facebook.com]

I'm assuming it's the same or similar extraction process Giles Martin uses on the Fab 4's stuff when elements are locked together on one track, for instance bass and drums. Allows you to pull out the individual bits and pieces and mix it back together in sort of stereo.

Date: October 6, 2017 14:24

Silver Dagger
For me the greatest song they never officially recorded from the Brian era -

The live recording was officially released, though.

Brilliant indeed thumbs up

Date: October 6, 2017 14:28

Deltics
ash

[www.facebook.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 6, 2017 14:30

Come on sounds awesome! This was a great surprise, as I thought they'd just release the already available semi-bootleg recording. thumbs up

Date: October 6, 2017 14:32

ash

Reverb? I don't hear that at all. But I do hear cleaned up «tracks». Listen to Bill's bass and Charlie's drums, for instance.

I guess the Audio Source Separation-tool they used worked nicely.

Date: October 6, 2017 16:27

The clip on the Facebook page posted upthread sounds dreadful. The iTunes sample sounds much better than that. They are from different parts of the song though.
I will give it a go. Long wait till December 1st !

Date: October 6, 2017 17:02

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It looks there is a Japanese SHM-CD version with the same tracks as the Deluxe Edition.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 6, 2017 17:18

DandelionPowderman
Come on sounds awesome! This was a great surprise, as I thought they'd just release the already available semi-bootleg recording. thumbs up

thumbs up
The high pitch backing vocal is Brian I suppose?

Date: October 6, 2017 17:23

DandelionPowderman
ash

Reverb? I don't hear that at all. But I do hear cleaned up «tracks». Listen to Bill's bass and Charlie's drums, for instance.

Make an A/B comparison with the bootlegs and the difference is clearly audible. The raw BBC track sounds much "drier". However, I like the sound. The polishing of this track is very tastefully done (unlike some bootleg remastering jobs!). It remains to be seen how the other tracks sound and it will be interesting to see if there are some genuine tape upgrades compared to the bootlegs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 17:38 by retired_dog.

Date: October 6, 2017 18:46

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
ash

Make an A/B comparison with the bootlegs and the difference is clearly audible. The raw BBC track sounds much "drier". However, I like the sound. The polishing of this track is very tastefully done (unlike some bootleg remastering jobs!). It remains to be seen how the other tracks sound and it will be interesting to see if there are some genuine tape upgrades compared to the bootlegs.

Indeed, but it's tone and other effects, rather than reverb.

Date: October 6, 2017 19:49

Someone over at the Hoffman Forums posted that the official release will be in "fake stereo."

Date: October 6, 2017 19:51

boogaloojef
Someone over at the Hoffman Forums posted that the official release will be in "fake stereo."

Well, some of it was actually recorded in real stereo.

Date: October 6, 2017 19:57

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Well, some of it was actually recorded in real stereo.

They are advocating for this download instead. Supposedly all the tracks are in the best available quality.

New fan-made bootleg out there that has fine new transcription disc sources for the 1965 sessions complete with DJ chatter.

As you can see, disc 1 is all high-quality and resembles something that Abkco could put out if they wanted to....

The Rolling Stones "Complete BBC Sessions 1963-1965"

DISC 1: High Quality Transcriptions
=========================
01 Come On (1963-09-23)
02 Memphis Tennessee (1963-09-23)
03 Roll Over Beethoven (1963-09-23)
04 Route 66 (1964-03-19)
05 Cops And Robbers (1964-03-19)
06 You Better Move On (1964-03-19)
07 Mona (1964-03-19)
08 Hi-Heeled Sneakers (1964-04-10)
09 Little By Little (1964-04-10)
10 I Just Want To Make Love To You (1964-04-10)
11 I'm Moving On (1964-04-10)
12 Not Fade Away (1964-04-13)
13 2120 South Michigan Ave (1964-10-08)
14 Interview with Brian & Mick (1965-03-01)
15 Everybody Needs Somebody (1965-03-01)
16 Interview with Mick (1965-03-01)
17 The Last Time (1965-03-01)
18 Down The Road Apiece (1965-03-01)
19 Mercy Mercy (1965-08-20)
20 Interview with Mick (1965-08-20)
21 Cry To Me (1965-08-20)
22 Satisfaction (1965-08-20)
23 Fanny Mae (1965-08-20)
24 Interview with Mick (1965-08-20)
25 The Spider And The Fly (1965-08-20)
26 Oh Baby (1965-08-20)

DISC 2: Off-Air Recordings
===================
01 Don't Lie To Me (1964-02-03)
02 Mona (1964-02-03)
03 Walkin' The Dog (1964-02-03)
04 Bye Bye Johnny (1964-02-03)
05 You Better Move On (1964-02-03)
06 I Wanna Be Your Man (1964-02-03)
07 Roll Over Beethoven (1964-03-07)
08 Beautiful Delilah (1964-03-07)
09 I Just Want To Make Love To You (1964-04-13)
10 Walkin' The Dog (1964-04-13)
11 Beautiful Delilah (1964-04-13)
12 Hi-Heeled Sneakers (1964-04-13)
13 Carol (1964-04-13)
14 Down In The Bottom (1964-05-25)
15 You Can Make It If You Try (1964-05-25)
16 Route 66 (1964-05-25)
17 Confessin' The Blues (1964-05-25)
18 Down The Road Apiece (1964-05-25)
19 It's All Over Now (1964-07-17)
20 If You Need Me (1964-07-17 #1)
21 Confessin' The Blues (1964-07-17)
22 Carol (1964-07-17)
23 Mona (1964-07-17)
24 Around And Around (1964-07-17)
25 If You Need Me (1964-07-17 #2)
26 I Can't Be Satisfied (1964-07-17)
27 Crackin' Up (1964-07-17)
28 Ain't That Loving You Baby (1964-07-17)
29 It's All Over Now (1964-07-17)
30 Interview with Mick & Keith (1965-08-20)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 20:02 by boogaloojef.

Date: October 6, 2017 20:49

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
ash

Indeed, but it's tone and other effects, rather than reverb.

The only way to get rid of an all-too dry sound is adding a tad of reverb. Done tastefully by a true professional (unlike most bootleggers or amateur remaster guys) you don't even notice it as such. Fiddling with the EQ, adding compression and other effects can dramatically improve other shortcomings, but won't help to get rid of a dry sound. If done tastefully, the performance as a whole sounds more natural. That's just what my listening experience of Come On tells me. Of course it may have helped that they probably had access to slightly better source tape. Two or even just one analog tape generation(s) can make a helluva lot difference already. If that's the case, maybe they did not need to add reverb because natural acoustics (including natural reverb) are amongst the first things that gradually get lost from tape generation to tape generation. Not to even speak of the fact that bootleggers may have had to deal with FM broadcast recordings with all its limitations.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home