Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 24
Re: New Book: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 27, 2017 01:13

I cancelled my order from Amazon too. Pictures I probably already have in books. I thought it was originally going to come with a cd and a DVD of footage we have never seen before. What's the point?

Re: New Book: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 27, 2017 01:19

I wish I could say you're welcome but it's very disappointing.
If someone nominated me to do it properly I'd insist the band include a cd of the March 1964 Radio Luxembourg acetate that Bill apparently owns. Do ABKCO have a claim on that ? Even if my book turned out to be crap it'd be worth it for the cd!!!

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: September 27, 2017 04:55

I'm through 1963 so far. Just got it today. So far I'm unimpressed. I bought it on the premise that some lost footage is going to be released on DVD. I will finish the book now that I own it and hope that this isn't just false advertisement to sell a book. I too am expecting a CD/DVD release of unheard unseen Rolling Stones performances live or mimed. Where is this "world wide release" that Amazon is advertising in conjunction with the book?

Date: September 27, 2017 10:00

1963 is ok though he does say that at the Saturday Club session Brian, Charlie and Bill back Bo Diddley on 5 tracks and then lists only 4.
The 4 listed are accurate and there were only 4.
I'd really like to know if Brian was on those. I'm sure I read somewhere that he didn't turn up to the session but it was the same day as the Stones one and it's hard to imagine he wouldn't have turned up to play with the great Bo Diddley.On the other hand, Bo had himself and The Duchess on guitar so why would he need Brian ? Wish there was a tape of this and the rest of the Stones set.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 27, 2017 11:05

ash
1963 is ok though he does say that at the Saturday Club session Brian, Charlie and Bill back Bo Diddley on 5 tracks and then lists only 4.
I'd really like to know if Brian was on those. I'm sure I read somewhere that he didn't turn up to the session but it was the same day as the Stones one and it's hard to imagine he wouldn't have turned up to play with the great Bo Diddley.On the other hand, Bo had himself and The Duchess on guitar so why would he need Brian ? Wish there was a tape of this and the rest of the Stones set.

In his 1990 book Stone Alone, Bill Wyman states this:
Brian, Charlie and I appeared on BBC radio´s Saturday Club, backing Bo Diddley.
There, we met him for the first time. He was extremely friendly, and we backed him on the programme for live songs.

Also, I have a (vague) memory of reading another book, where Brian himself refered to having played with Bo Diddley.
Unfortunately I can´t remember which book or any details - could have been a letter Brian wrote to someone, perhaps...

Date: September 27, 2017 11:57

rootsman
ash

In his 1990 book Stone Alone, Bill Wyman states this:
Brian, Charlie and I appeared on BBC radio´s Saturday Club, backing Bo Diddley.
There, we met him for the first time. He was extremely friendly, and we backed him on the programme for live songs.

Also, I have a (vague) memory of reading another book, where Brian himself refered to having played with Bo Diddley.
Unfortunately I can´t remember which book or any details - could have been a letter Brian wrote to someone, perhaps...

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to check Bo Diddley's BBC file yet, the info might not even be in there but it would be good to confirm 100%. I also seem to recall reading something somewhere where one of the band commented how impressed Diddley was with Brian's emulation of his sound. Equally though, as I said, I seem to remember reading somewhere he didn't turn up but that makes no sense as the sessions were on the same day. Any input appreciated.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: September 27, 2017 20:50

Any never released material with this book? Does the CD have BBC-stuff? Worth buying?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 27, 2017 21:02

Kuntaman
Any never released material with this book? Does the CD have BBC-stuff? Worth buying?
There is no CD (or DVD) with the book.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 27, 2017 21:02

Kuntaman

There is no CD or DVD despite what was previously indicated.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 27, 2017 21:48

Honestman
Thanks for the hard work Ash thumbs up

The Department of Historical Accuracy thanks you too.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 28, 2017 16:52

Well.i like it.its not great but nice to have.
Jeroen
Ps hope there will be a cd or dvd later

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 28, 2017 17:08

Thanx for the input everybody...just cancelled my order w/amazon...I'll wait for a better read....hope you get published soon ash....

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: October 1, 2017 07:01

Anyone have anything positive to say about this book? It's been sitting on my table still shrink wrapped since Tuesday while I debate what to do with it. Any reason to keep it?

Date: October 1, 2017 12:33

HomerSimpson
Anyone have anything positive to say about this book? It's been sitting on my table still shrink wrapped since Tuesday while I debate what to do with it. Any reason to keep it?

If I hadn't known the correct details for their BBC radio sessions and a bit more about the TV appearances I would have enjoyed reading it and assumed it was the last word in that area. I used to think that about Badman's book too which is a fabulous read.
My problem is that since I realised none of these people were actually checking the stuff out properly, whenever I look at a book about the Stones like Martin Eliotts book, All The Songs, On Air, Badman's, the first thing I do is check Top Beat and Top Gear and then I know if they've actually done the research.
All of those books are good reads. Badman's in particular.
On Air irks me because it is officially endorsed by the Stones and has had a review crediting it with meticulous research. The recent-ish Jones book tries to make out Brian replaced Keith and Bill's parts in the studio, none of the above checked the BBC programme logs. I know facts aren't popular anymore and this is only a book about a pop/rock group but the band deserves better.
If you open it and read it you will enjoy it but in terms of accuracy it's not a Lewisohn Beatles book, Doug Hinman's Kinks book or Neill and Kent's Who book.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: October 1, 2017 15:56

Hi Ash,

Can I privately ask you a question on the research in the BBC-archives at your email-address?

Thanks for a reply,

alexanderpbenjamin@hotmail.com

Date: October 1, 2017 16:42

alexander paul
Hi Ash,

Can I privately ask you a question on the research in the BBC-archives at your email-address?

Thanks for a reply,

[email protected]

sent you mail Alexander.

On Air CD/Vinyl
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 5, 2017 10:16

1CD and 2CD versions, and 2LP set being released December 1 by Universal. Looks like they just waited for Fonda. No word on DVD yet but it’s coming too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 10:28 by TeddyB1018.

Re: On Air CD/Vinyl
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 5, 2017 10:26

Great news!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 5, 2017 10:39

Now thàt is some freakin' good News. thumbs up

Cheerz, Teddy! Always good to see your name pop up - smileys with beer

Date: October 5, 2017 11:59

Proof?
Link?

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 5, 2017 12:08

[www.imwan.com]

Here is the Imwan link. The Amazon pre-order links on Imwan are not active yet.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 5, 2017 13:34

TeddyB1018
1CD and 2CD versions, and 2LP set being released December 1 by Universal. Looks like they just waited for Fonda. No word on DVD yet but it’s coming too.

GREAT!
Thanks.
Jeroen

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 5, 2017 19:47

boogaloojef
[www.imwan.com]

Here is the Imwan link. The Amazon pre-order links on Imwan are not active yet.

The Amazon links on the Imwan site for the 2 lp & 2 cd versions have now gone live for pre-ordering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 19:48 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:03

Same cover as the book

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 5, 2017 21:03

As it says a BBC recording on the sleeve I wonder if it will consist entirely of BBC sessions. I would hope they'd include everything possible regardless of sound quality which 2 cds suggests they might unless it is bulked out with French radio recordings. I would hope even more that perhaps they've managed to get either upgraded sources or even some of the currently missing tracks, especially the rest of the Rhythm and Blues session with the mysterious "I Wanna Love You".
I would still rather hear that March 64 Radio Luxembourg session but an official Stones BBC set is way overdue. Let's hope they don't screw it up with bad eq and chopping the intros and outros off to remove the announcer. The Hollies set was a complete balls-up for those reasons.
Er, that means I'm looking forward to it...with reservations.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 5, 2017 21:16

Very interesting this is through Promotone and not ABKCO. This is the first time a 1960s release is coming through Promotone. While ABKCO will have some or most of the publishing, I'm guessing the reason is that the BBC maintains copyright control and a deal that was satisfactory could not be worked out. I'll be curious if we find out more.

And ironbelly, asking proof or links of TeddyBoy...for starters, if you're not a longtime regular, look at his other posts. He's legit. Nothing makes people who are kind enough to give info out reluctant to do so again like being treated as if they are unwelcome or unreliable.

Date: October 5, 2017 23:09

Rocky Dijon
And ironbelly, asking proof or links of TeddyBoy...for starters, if you're not a longtime regular, look at his other posts. He's legit. Nothing makes people who are kind enough to give info out reluctant to do so again like being treated as if they are unwelcome or unreliable.
I am not the first day here winking smiley But I know the world we live in. I mean 'fake news world'. Thus, it is worth to ask for a proof or a link even from 146% reliable source. Placing a link is one click thing, you know winking smiley.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 5, 2017 23:56

Rocky Dijon
Very interesting this is through Promotone and not ABKCO. This is the first time a 1960s release is coming through Promotone. While ABKCO will have some or most of the publishing, I'm guessing the reason is that the BBC maintains copyright control and a deal that was satisfactory could not be worked out. I'll be curious if we find out more.

Yes, I had always assumed it was ABKCO that was stalling on a release though of course for a long time Mick was not into Archive releases. In the absence of any 'new' product he obviously thinks a bit differently now.
ABKCO came into the frame in August 1965 by which time mist of the broadcasts would have been done I think?
The very successful Beatles/BBC release (1984) went out under their Apple label, I think, not EMI.
From a purely commercial standpoint it all seems a bit late but I might be proved wrong. Lots of promotion: TV advertising, TV documentary and/or DVD will all help.
Oh, and Mick doing a round of TV chat shows.

Date: October 6, 2017 00:03

While that's true about ABKCO coming into the game later than the BBC radio sessions, they control the recording rights for Decca/London releases beginning in 1963. They also control Jagger/Richards publishing rights from 1963 through 1970. Back in the 1990s when ROCK 'N' ROLL CIRCUS finally surfaced, Jody Klein told ICE that THE BBC SESSIONS would be the next project. I'm sure all concerned didn't imagine it would take another twenty years. We may never learn the intricacies of the negotiations between Promotone and ABKCO. Both have UMG as a distributor. It is interesting, though.

Date: October 6, 2017 00:06

ironbelly
I am not the first day here winking smiley But I know the world we live in. I mean 'fake news world'. Thus, it is worth to ask for a proof or a link even from 146% reliable source. Placing a link is one click thing, you know winking smiley.

My apologies, ironbelly. My response was a bit rude. I know you've been around for awhile and should not have addressed my response the way I did. What I should have said was Teddy is reliable and some of the information he brings doesn't always have a link. Some of it is information that can be shared that is an exclusive for the moment. Again, sorry for being rude to you. I'm a crabby old man too much of the time.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home