Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: October 22, 2017 20:17

jlowe
No news on a companion DVD release for Christmas yet?
I was hoping for a sort of 'Video Rewind 1964-69'. There must be enough footage for a 60 minute compilation.

Nothing yet. I search almost daily. I'm hoping for at least an hour. Hopefully some live stuff from Ready Steady Go. 1968 NME appearance. Some live concert footage. Some mimed stuff of obscure tunes. At this point anything that hasn't been seen since it aired.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2017 21:34

I think there might be a problem getting RSG! footage.
I believe much of it (though not all) is owned by Dave Clark (he of the DC5) and it seems he isn't the easiest of people to do business with.
Providing they haven't been erased, the Top of the Pops footage shouldn't prove too difficult to license.
Footage of Jimmy Saville might get airbrushed out if course.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 22, 2017 22:27

jlowe
I believe much of it (though not all) is owned by Dave Clark (he of the DC5) and it seems he isn't the easiest of people to do business with.
Providing they haven't been erased, the Top of the Pops footage shouldn't prove too difficult to license.

Very little from Top of the Pops has survived. Of all their numerous appearances, all I recollect seeing are :-

Not Fade Away, The Last Time, Let's Spend The Night Together, Honky Tonk Woman and Brown Sugar. I seem to recall reading that their appearance, miming to 19th Nervous Breakdown surfaced somewhere.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 23, 2017 13:28

Big Al
jlowe

Very little from Top of the Pops has survived. Of all their numerous appearances, all I recollect seeing are :-

Not Fade Away, The Last Time, Let's Spend The Night Together, Honky Tonk Woman and Brown Sugar. I seem to recall reading that their appearance, miming to 19th Nervous Breakdown surfaced somewhere.

There are others:
TOTP
Get off my Cloud
JJF

OTHERS
We Love You
Child of the Moon
YCAGWYA

So maybe enough for 60 minutes, particularly if you included any interviews with band members.
Of course this is UK shows only.
The excellent 25x5 documentary has lots of footage..but I think its US broadcasts.

PS Being pedantic I know, but of course Brown Sugar 'belongs'to the 70s!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 23, 2017 13:58

Don't know what this means ,or has anything to do with an upcoming dvd?

working #16mmfilm

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: October 23, 2017 14:11

Sorry if this has been shared already.....

BBC Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-23 14:12 by onestep.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 23, 2017 22:41

onestep
Sorry if this has been shared already.....

BBC Rolling Stones

I think it has. Seems to be missing a split second at the beginning. Hope that's just a mistake uploading. The boot version effectively has an extra bass note right at the start. If they have just used the boot source (as has been suggested) for this official comp. I will be very pissed off.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 26, 2017 17:41

Satisfaction from Saturday Club September 18th, 1965.

[www.rollingstone.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 26, 2017 17:58

Deltics

[www.rollingstone.com]

Great, thank you! thumbs up

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 26, 2017 20:37

Deltics

[www.rollingstone.com]
Here is direct youtube link for those who can not reach vevo via Reolling Stone site
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 26, 2017 21:10

great sound great instruments separation
at last a decent listening

On santa claus list smiling smiley

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: October 26, 2017 21:21

ironbelly
Deltics

[www.rollingstone.com]
Here is direct youtube link for those who can not reach vevo via Reolling Stone site
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for that, the link from the Rolling Stone site was a bit clunky.

Also, while it's true that this was broadcast on Saturday Club on September 18, it was actually first broadcast on "Yeh Yeh!" on August 30 and recorded ten days earlier.
It does make you wonder about the level of research involved in this project.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 26, 2017 21:30

Deltics

[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks. That sounded great. Is Brian doing anything? I'm not hearing an acoustic guitar on rhythm. Is he on tambourine?

Date: October 26, 2017 21:38

"On this day in 1963 The Rolling Stones were first aired live on radio on the Saturday Club! They played their first single 'Come On', plus three other Chuck Berry numbers ‘Memphis Tennessee’, ‘Talkin Bout You’ and ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, they finished off with the track ‘Money’, which they played most nights on tour at the time.

Most of these songs that were performed that very day have been restored via a revolutionary process to deliver the ‘On Air’ album, a special collection of previously unreleased radio recordings from the sixties. The Stones captured at the very beginning, performing the music they truly loved Blues, RnB and Country."

[www.instagram.com]

Date: October 26, 2017 21:54

Deltics

Also, while it's true that this was broadcast on Saturday Club on September 18, it was actually first broadcast on "Yeh Yeh!" on August 30 and recorded ten days earlier.
Let's assume for now the level is higher comparing to that of Rarities 1971-2003.

Date: October 26, 2017 21:59

ironbelly
Deltics

Let's assume for now the level is higher comparing to that of Rarities 1971-2003.
That's not setting the bar very high!

Date: October 27, 2017 00:05

24FPS
Deltics

[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks. That sounded great. Is Brian doing anything? I'm not hearing an acoustic guitar on rhythm. Is he on tambourine?

There is an acoustic guitar and it's definitely Brian.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 27, 2017 02:49

Deltics

[www.rollingstone.com]

For a live recording made in 1965, this sounds amazingly good. I wasn't even sure that it really was entirely live, at first. I thought maybe it was a combination of elements taken from the live performance and the original studio version; not an uncommon practice at the time. Remember the Who's live at the BBC version of "I Can See for Miles" on which only Entwistle's bass was live, layered on top of the studio version?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-27 02:52 by tatters.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 27, 2017 21:00

Which Online store is selling (preorder) the Yellow Vynil?

Date: October 27, 2017 21:12

rogerriffin

There's probably more stores around the world selling the yellow vinyl, but you can find it here:

Official Rolling Stones Store

JPC (Germany)

U Music (Canada)

Music Vaultz (Canada)

Date: October 27, 2017 22:35

Cristiano Radtke
rogerriffin

There's probably more stores around the world selling the yellow vinyl, but you can find it here:

JPC (Germany)

U Music (Canada)

Music Vaultz (Canada)
Guys, head for black vinyl. Everybody is pre-ordering yellow. The ordinary black would be a rarity in a few years winking smiley.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 27, 2017 22:47

ironbelly
Cristiano Radtke
rogerriffin

JPC (Germany)

U Music (Canada)

Music Vaultz (Canada)
Guys, head for black vinyl. Everybody is pre-ordering yellow. The ordinary black would be a rarity in a few years winking smiley.

Well, I have ordered both versions. The yellow one because I love coloured vinyl and the black one for future rarity value. Plus it helps to increase sales numbers and to fuel the band's motivation for further archive releases...

Date: October 27, 2017 23:24

“Charlie put down a different tempo and with the addition of a fuzz-box on my guitar, which takes off all the treble, we achieved a very interesting sound.” Keith was reminiscing in his dressing room on the last night of the No Filter Tour, having a listen to ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction', the live radio recording from the upcoming album ‘On Air’ - a collection of classics, covers and previously unreleased recordings from the sixties."

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 28, 2017 01:07

I've been told that pre-sales have been good so far, over 5,000 copies on both UK & US, over 2,000 copies on Germany and France too with over a month to go.

Date: October 28, 2017 01:54

Hey,

I just pre-ordered the black vinyl edition from amazon. Shouldn't this be the superior audio copy versus the coloured vinyl edition? I just don't know whether it's worth paying an extra ten bucks for the yellow vinyl.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Date: October 28, 2017 03:27

Ok so the yellow is only five bucks more. Novelty vs. sound? Is this the decision?

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 28, 2017 08:40

It does sound great. My Bose computer speakers really show Bill's bass. My TV not so much. Probably didn't come through much on tinny little AM radio car speakers in 1965 either. And I'm still not picking up Brian. I need to listen to on the five speaker surround. Didn't think I'd ever say that when it came to BBC material. I always thought it was so thin that I didn't bother picking it up as a boot.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 28, 2017 10:54

georgelicks
I've been told that pre-sales have been good so far, over 5,000 copies on both UK & US, over 2,000 copies on Germany and France too with over a month to go.

Jeeez, good for today's market, but 10 or 15 years ago I guess 50,000 and 20,000 would have been more likely. It's really a miracle why they waited so long to get stuff like this out! Then again, back then they probably did not need the money as income from touring was considerably higher. And on a positive note, back then the technology was not there to get this fantastic sound out of vintage tapes. But Come On and Satisfaction already sounded good on the circulating tapes and boots, so I'm really curious how the lesser good sounding BBC tracks will turn out on this official release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 13:05 by retired_dog.

Date: October 29, 2017 16:59

retired_dog
georgelicks

Jeeez, good for today's market, but 10 or 15 years ago I guess 50,000 and 20,000 would have been more likely. It's really a miracle why they waited so long to get stuff like this out! Then again, back then they probably did not need the money as income from touring was considerably higher. And on a positive note, back then the technology was not there to get this fantastic sound out of vintage tapes. But Come On and Satisfaction already sounded good on the circulating tapes and boots, so I'm really curious how the lesser good sounding BBC tracks will turn out on this official release.

Ain't That Loving You Baby always sounded really rough. Hopefully that one is cleaned up. Brian and Keith guitar weaving with Bill playing a prominent walking bass line. Always wished they would have put this on the first album instead of Honest I Do. A much better Jimmy Reed tune IMO.

Date: October 31, 2017 22:36

"Don't say hi, like a spider to a fly…
Just for Halloween, here’s an exclusive spooky listen to a clip from the upcoming album On Air, featuring some real rarities from the Stones formative years."

[www.instagram.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home