Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
3 july 1969 - remembering brian ...
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: July 3, 2017 12:46

hi folks,

48 years ago now ...

Re: 3 july 1969 - remembering brian ...
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 3, 2017 13:48

Thinking of Brian today - the greatest of all the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 3, 2017 15:29

Silver Dagger
Thinking of Brian today - the greatest of all the Rolling Stones.

Wow,,,,,,,,the body language is...........dark....confused smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 3, 2017 15:40

Poor man. He went only 27 years old. Still, no one knows what really happened. Kudos to Bill, and Charlie, for standing up for him. It was Brian who founded The Rolling Stones. No one can take that away from him.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 3, 2017 16:13

RT: Ed Sullivan. He brought elan, depth & original musicality. To be such a stone-gone blues freak but also do such delicate, breathless work with the recorder or marimba and etc...we all know the story here. I've never seen The Stones w Brian but I've never seen them without thinking of Brian either. Sort of conjuring him up in my imagination and memory and invisibly place him among the rest for a minute. Not a prolonged fantasy but it would occur to me. To almost 'see' him in relation to the others. He'd be smaller and they are not so tall. And the way he stood there and such. He seemed on a weird uptight edge too but I don't want to get into all that. He did do what many if not all musicians want to do and how. At least, amidst I'm sure a lot of personal misery, he went to bed knowing his vision had solidified. There were huge hits. He was world famous and could write his own ticket with a label deal...and he had been, and still is everyday, played and enjoyed all over Every corner of the planet. One hopes he got some peace out of that, but one also doubts it. I remember Brian.
[s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 3, 2017 18:33

I raise a glass to Brian Jones

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 3, 2017 19:03

To the originator, founder, and heart and soul of the early years.

Missed and always remembered.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: July 3, 2017 19:07

Always wish he would've pulled it together, still been around. I had envisioned if he had, him and Lennon would've worked in a group together somewhere down the road..

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 3, 2017 19:22

BamaStone
Always wish he would've pulled it together, still been around. I had envisioned if he had, him and Lennon would've worked in a group together somewhere down the road..

Maybe they did. Eleven years later...

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 3, 2017 19:30

Without Brian there would bo no Rolling or Rollin' Stones...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 4, 2017 00:09

Was always my favorite. What's a p*sser is that his date of death coincides with my birth date. So, here's to you Brian. I'll be listening to original Stones today tossin' back a pint or two.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 4, 2017 00:21

Brian gets forgotten these days but he played such an integral part of their early success and started out as the band leader.
He wasn't strong enough to deal with the alpha males in the group and so got swept aside, but i always love his contribution to the band and i think he was very possibly murdered.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: July 4, 2017 00:32

No Jones, No Stones ! As simple as that. R.I.P. Brian.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 4, 2017 00:33

LOL to the "murder" conspiracy.

RIP Brian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-04 00:35 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 4, 2017 00:33

DiamondDog7
No Jones, No Stones ! As simple as that. R.I.P. Brian.

Indeed! RIP Brian and thanks for the music.

dmay
What's a p*sser is that his date of death coincides with my birth date.

Have a nice birthday, dmay! smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 4, 2017 01:06

Every year we remember him, but there's scant new 'product' to add to his legacy. Since almost all of his studio output with the Stones is well known, we're left to live performances. I listened to Paris '67 the other night and was intrigued by Brian's playing on Ruby Tuesday. It's one of the few times we hear him spreading out just a bit. I loved that England '65 release a couple years ago where he really burns it up on Little Red Rooster. I hope there are more good examples out there and that we'll be able to have them in as good a shape as possible.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 4, 2017 07:19

Before I really got into The Stones--which was around the release of Sticky Fingers, I had been aware of them as background music for my late elementary school years. I now realize, although I didn't then, how much my original, almost subconscious impressions of the band were informed by Brian's musical colorings:

"Under My Thumb," "Lady Jane," "Ruby Tuesday," for example, all sounded at least faintly exotic ... and much of that was due to Brian's contributions.

To this day, I have musician friends who tell me in all seriousness that they wrote off the band once Brian left; that after his departure they became a monochromatic rock boogie band and were infinitely less interesting.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 4, 2017 15:28

Don't do drugs, kids

Date: July 4, 2017 20:38

LongBeachArena72
To this day, I have musician friends who tell me in all seriousness that they wrote off the band once Brian left; that after his departure they became a monochromatic rock boogie band and were infinitely less interesting.

Yes, they lost that ethereal touch with Brian, but moved into other areas that were just as interesting. Is somebody going to argue that Let It Bleed through Exile weren't 'interesting'? They were definitely not monochromatic up through Start Me Up, and even Steel Wheels has many different styles. It wasn't until the retro Voodoo Lounge that they began to fall backward in the studio, from which they've never really recovered. But come on, after Brian they created some cool stuff for the 20 years. Taylor and Wood are great on slide, although never with the feel Brian had. Bill picked up the emotional weight on bass, but he took the last vestige of Stones sensitivity with him.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2017 21:32

24FPS
LongBeachArena72

Yes, they lost that ethereal touch with Brian, but moved into other areas that were just as interesting. Is somebody going to argue that Let It Bleed through Exile weren't 'interesting'? They were definitely not monochromatic up through Start Me Up, and even Steel Wheels has many different styles. It wasn't until the retro Voodoo Lounge that they began to fall backward in the studio, from which they've never really recovered. But come on, after Brian they created some cool stuff for the 20 years. Taylor and Wood are great on slide, although never with the feel Brian had. Bill picked up the emotional weight on bass, but he took the last vestige of Stones sensitivity with him.

It could have to do with the age of certain fans, and when they first became fans of the Stones (there's another recent thread about this).

Similar reactions to Fleetwood Mac - never the same after Peter Green left. The Bob Welch years were the best (a rare phenomenon lol). They are the best (or they are the worst) with Stevie and Lyndsey, etc., etc., etc.

Same with the Eagles - many different lineups, and the current one about to happen is causing major debates.

Same with Yardbirds - never the same after Clapton left. Or better with Jeff Beck, etc.

I imagine if I was a fan in the very early years and was devoted to Brian and his unique input, I might have had a hard time accepting a replacement. On the other hand, I might have - actually I probably would have - embraced the "new" kid on the block and the skills he brought.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 4, 2017 22:14

I love what he contributed to the band.
But to slag everything off, as some people do, is just silly.

Date: July 4, 2017 22:35

They lost a crucial part of their signature sound when they let Brian go.

Some of that magic never reappeared.

What a versatile and clever musician!

Sorely missed...

Date: July 5, 2017 00:32

Hairball
24FPS
LongBeachArena72

It could have to do with the age of certain fans, and when they first became fans of the Stones (there's another recent thread about this).

Similar reactions to Fleetwood Mac - never the same after Peter Green left. The Bob Welch years were the best (a rare phenomenon lol). They are the best (or they are the worst) with Stevie and Lyndsey, etc., etc., etc.

Same with the Eagles - many different lineups, and the current one about to happen is causing major debates.

Same with Yardbirds - never the same after Clapton left. Or better with Jeff Beck, etc.

I imagine if I was a fan in the very early years and was devoted to Brian and his unique input, I might have had a hard time accepting a replacement. On the other hand, I might have - actually I probably would have - embraced the "new" kid on the block and the skills he brought.

I was barely aware of who Brian was. Even when he died the announcer (in the U.S.) played Satisfaction, which wasn't something Brian stood out on. All I knew of him was he had blond hair and wore a surfer's cross. It wasn't until 1972 and Dalton's book of past essays and photos that I began to understand his contribution. And it took even longer, I think it was Big Hits and Fazed Cookies that really informed me. He was gone just as the Stones' fame was getting ready to kick into the stratosphere.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 5, 2017 07:48

LongBeachArena72

I remember very well that this was common sense amongst Stones fans back then, thinking that there was no future left for the band without him. Stones without Brian was unthinkable back then in the same way like Stones without Mick or Keith became unthinkable since then.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: July 5, 2017 20:32

Back at the time, none of us (fans) knew what went on in the Stones camp. Lei it Bleed was the first album that listed track by track who played what on which track. That Brian Jones was deteriorating and had stopped playing guitar or was not present in the studio - it was not common knowledge in the end-sixties, by no means.

I still remember listening to Beggars´Banguet with my friends - in stereo! - and trying to decide whether it was Brian on the left channel and Keith on the right. Or the other way around.

Only much later did we, as did the rest of the world, find out, that it was mostly Keith, who played the guitar parts.

Did the rest of the Stones treat him badly?
Probably not.

Did he treat the people around him badly?

Obviously, yes.

"He was not a nice person" said Charles Robert Watts.

I rest my case.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 6, 2017 00:02

i was too young to remember brians downward spiral, but when i became a stones fan in 1987 aged 19, it didnt take me long to realise the band were very different with him gone.

i always wonder what would become of the stones had he continued, and mick and ronnie hadnt replaced him.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 6, 2017 00:22

The band started to change with JJF and Beggar's, about two years before he died.
Always found it strange that he supposedly wanted them to go back to their roots, which they sort of did, and that he didn't like the pop music stuff, even though giving color to their pop songs was one of the things he did best.

Date: July 6, 2017 00:44

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
LongBeachArena72

I was barely aware of who Brian was. Even when he died the announcer (in the U.S.) played Satisfaction, which wasn't something Brian stood out on. All I knew of him was he had blond hair and wore a surfer's cross. It wasn't until 1972 and Dalton's book of past essays and photos that I began to understand his contribution. And it took even longer, I think it was Big Hits and Fazed Cookies that really informed me. He was gone just as the Stones' fame was getting ready to kick into the stratosphere.

It was in the stratosphere by Satisfaction already. That's what allowed them to experiment- and that's when Brian shone.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 6, 2017 02:05

DandelionPowderman
It was in the stratosphere by Satisfaction already. That's what allowed them to experiment- and that's when Brian shone.

Interesting. Is there evidence that they'd wanted to 'experiment' before "Satisfaction" but decided not to because they weren't commercially successful enough?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 6, 2017 03:11

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Interesting. Is there evidence that they'd wanted to 'experiment' before "Satisfaction" but decided not to because they weren't commercially successful enough?

The chance to "experiment" comes with success and the money it generates. Plus, as an artist, you need some experience in the studio. Back in the day, when you started as a professional recording artist, studio time was extremely limited and allowed not a lot more than basically recording live in the studio with as few "takes" as possible to achieve a releasable result. Only sufficient record sales, experience and the resulting confidence, also from the record company, opened the gates for more experimentation. As a newbie in the biz, you simply don't start out with endless hours in search of the right riff or arrangement.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home