Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: RIP, Chris Cornell
Date: May 21, 2017 12:51

hopefully a clarification will come as george lynch, nuno bettencourt, tommy lee, warren demartini, brad gillis, jak e lee, rod morgenstein , reb beach and many others would say that a lot of those 80's rock bands had extremely accomplished musicians.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 21, 2017 13:15

To be honest I know only Black Hole Sun. Sounds like a predecessor of Nickelback, nothing for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-21 13:16 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: May 21, 2017 13:25

Monsoon Ragoon
To be honest I know only Black Hole Sun. Sounds like a predecessor of Nickelback, nothing for me.

do you live in America? those 2 bands sound nothing alike at all.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 21, 2017 14:27

stonehearted
StonedInTokyo
life expectancy has never been higher.
"Expectancy" is a bit of a qualifying word -- it didn't help James Dean much, or Buddy Holly, did it?

The human life span is the same as it's always been -- 120 years or so.

All the rest is circumstance: [gerontology.wikia.com]

That's maximum life expectancy, not average life expectancy, which was about 40 years of age in 1900.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 21, 2017 14:33

Hairball
His friend Kevin Morris shares some details of that final show:

Chris Cornell's friend, Detroit artist and musician Kevin Morris, who attended the singer's final show with SOUNGARDEN on Wednesday (May 17) at Detroit's Fox Theatre, has told People.com that something was definitely wrong with Chris at the gig. "The whole performance, you could tell something wasn't right," Morris said. "Into the second song, he started getting disoriented or something. I just figured he wasn't feeling well. Everybody felt there was something going on," Morris continued. "Like he wasn't with us. Like he was on a cloud. It was like he was really fighting to get through the show." He added: "What was troubling him I don't think we'll ever know. I think he was a little nervous about playing in Detroit, the music capital of the world, and he took a little too much of the Ativan."

I think he was anxious about being alive, and made a snap decision not to be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-21 18:07 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 21, 2017 15:01

keefriffhard4life
Monsoon Ragoon

No. As I said I remember only this hit.

Date: May 21, 2017 15:05

Monsoon Ragoon
keefriffhard4life
Monsoon Ragoon

No. As I said I remember only this hit.

those 2 songs still sound nothing alike

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 21, 2017 17:27

StonedInTokyo
kovach
Wife says prescription meds may be to blame:

[www.yahoo.com]

She would say that as she wants to collect on his life insurance policy, and probably cannot if his death is ruled a suicide. Solution? Blame the meds.

I'm no lawyer so not sure that matters, but I'm sure anyone in this situation is looking for a reasonable explanation for a seemingly good husband and father who's kicked drugs and alcohol to do such a thing, and it very well could be this is the case.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 21, 2017 19:50

*double post

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-21 20:09 by Hairball.

Date: May 21, 2017 20:02

keefriffhard4life
hopefully a clarification will come as george lynch, nuno bettencourt, tommy lee, warren demartini, brad gillis, jak e lee, rod morgenstein , reb beach and many others would say that a lot of those 80's rock bands had extremely accomplished musicians.

I shouldn't be speaking for him, but being that the poster you want clarification from is also a guitar player/musician, I'm sure he would agree those are accomplished musicians, as would everyone else who has heard them play. But what has come to light now that you've pointed all of those out, it's become even more clear that bands they played for really did suck. Jake E. Lee was a low point for Ozzy (except the title track Bark at the Moon), and whatever band he formed on his own was even worse imo. Brad Gillis - Night Ranger? You can listen to and love Dokken, Ratt, Extreme, etc., all you want, and some people still do (?), but the bottom line is they were part of the very reason that 'grunge' happened in the first place which pretty much wiped most of them off of the map. I did kind of like a few of those songs from some of those bands at the time probably due to being forced down my throat via MTV (and I did like great guitar players), but looking back on it all it really was what I refer to as the 'Dark Ages' of rock and roll and music in general. Just Dreadful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-21 20:05 by Hairball.

Date: May 21, 2017 20:08

Hairball
StonedInTokyo
Hairball
His friend Kevin Morris shares some details of that final show:

Chris Cornell's friend, Detroit artist and musician Kevin Morris, who attended the singer's final show with SOUNGARDEN on Wednesday (May 17) at Detroit's Fox Theatre, has told People.com that something was definitely wrong with Chris at the gig. "The whole performance, you could tell something wasn't right," Morris said. "Into the second song, he started getting disoriented or something. I just figured he wasn't feeling well. Everybody felt there was something going on," Morris continued. "Like he wasn't with us. Like he was on a cloud. It was like he was really fighting to get through the show." He added: "What was troubling him I don't think we'll ever know. I think he was a little nervous about playing in Detroit, the music capital of the world, and he took a little too much of the Ativan."

I think he was anxious about being alive, and made a snap decision not to be.

*(edit: quoting system messing up - tried to fix your quote StonedinTokyo as I didn't want your speculation attributed to me.-Hairball

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 22, 2017 07:02

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

I shouldn't be speaking for him, but being that the poster you want clarification from is also a guitar player/musician, I'm sure he would agree those are accomplished musicians, as would everyone else who has heard them play. But what has come to light now that you've pointed all of those out, it's become even more clear that bands they played for really did suck. Jake E. Lee was a low point for Ozzy (except the title track Bark at the Moon), and whatever band he formed on his own was even worse imo. Brad Gillis - Night Ranger? You can listen to and love Dokken, Ratt, Extreme, etc., all you want, and some people still do (?), but the bottom line is they were part of the very reason that 'grunge' happened in the first place which pretty much wiped most of them off of the map. I did kind of like a few of those songs from some of those bands at the time probably due to being forced down my throat via MTV (and I did like great guitar players), but looking back on it all it really was what I refer to as the 'Dark Ages' of rock and roll and music in general. Just Dreadful.
There were a ton of technically gifted musicians in all those '80s hair bands. Hell, Randy Rhoads was in Quiet Riot before Ozzy, and he was one of the best neoclassical shredders ever.

But the fact remains that most of those technically gifted musicians played in bands that put out terrible dreck. Some killer lead guitar shredding doesn't change that fact. And believe me, I have a lot of guilty pleasure songs from that era in my iTunes, but most of it is pop-metal nonsense.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: May 22, 2017 07:10

I wonder what the final tally will be as the nonsense in this thread piles up?

Date: May 22, 2017 08:32

keefriff99
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

There were a ton of technically gifted musicians in all those '80s hair bands. Hell, Randy Rhoads was in Quiet Riot before Ozzy, and he was one of the best neoclassical shredders ever.

But the fact remains that most of those technically gifted musicians played in bands that put out terrible dreck. Some killer lead guitar shredding doesn't change that fact. And believe me, I have a lot of guilty pleasure songs from that era in my iTunes, but most of it is pop-metal nonsense.

Indeed true, and while I might have liked a few of those pop-metal nonsense tunes when I was in my early 20's, most of them just haven't stood the test of time for me.
Thinking about it now, I wonder "what were they thinking"? along with "what the hell was I thinking"? That being said, I still have a soft spot for the Randy Rhodes era Ozzy (not his Quiet Riot stuff)... it's as heavy now as it was back then thanks to his amazing guitar playing.

You know, I used to listen to and sing nursery rhymes when I was a tiny kid (about 2 or 3 yrs. old), with my favorite at the time probably being Hickory Dickory Dock. Just because I treasured a lot of those back then, doesn't mean I still listen to and sing them now - I've outgrown them by about 50 years now. The same can be said for a lot of the early-mid '80s hard/pop rock nonsense I was listening to in my 20's...I've outgrown it by 30+ years.

HankM
I wonder what the final tally will be as the nonsense in this thread piles up?

winking smiley

It's a great thread in memoriam of a great singer, songwriter, and musician with a few detours along the way - people are grieving and healing in the process.

RIP CHRIS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-22 08:37 by Hairball.

Date: May 22, 2017 14:59

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

brad gillis also did a tour with ozzy. to be honest a lot of ozzy fans regard the jake e lee era better than the zakk wylde era

Date: May 22, 2017 18:10

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

brad gillis also did a tour with ozzy. to be honest a lot of ozzy fans regard the jake e lee era better than the zakk wylde era

The Brad Gillis transitional live era was indeed a very low point for Ozzy - possibly the lowest of them all, but he was asked to fill some big shoes (Randy Rhodes)and helped Ozzy finish the tour - after that he was long gone. But I was referring to studio albums hence my comment "the title track Bark at the Moon". As for the Zakk Wylde era, I can see why some Ozzy fans think that, though there are others who would disagree. He was in the band much longer, and while it was not all top notch, if you narrowed it all down it would rise way above the Jake.E. Lee era. Miracle Man alone tops the entire Jake.E. Lee era imo. That being said, I might have been better able to respond to all this 30+ years ago when I cared a little, but at this point I have little interest in all of the intricacies of Ozzy and his comrades throughout the years (except the Randy Rhodes era)- I've simply outgrown most of it and/or it simply hasn't stood the test of time. Looking forward to the return of Zakk Wylde into Ozzy's band...not really.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: May 25, 2017 05:45

Hairball, I think you're over-stating the Gloom-Rock thing. Nirvana had plenty of nonsensical lyrics and light-hearted songs (as you put it)...

"Dumb"
"On A Plain"
"Drain You"
"Lounge Act"
"Sliver"
"Spank Thru"

...just to name a few, are all delivered with a semi-serious, fun loving and musical approach.

Date: May 25, 2017 06:09

Laughingsam
Hairball, I think you're over-stating the Gloom-Rock thing. Nirvana had plenty of nonsensical lyrics and light-hearted songs (as you put it)...

"Dumb"
"On A Plain"
"Drain You"
"Lounge Act"
"Sliver"
"Spank Thru"

...just to name a few, are all delivered with a semi-serious, fun loving and musical approach.

Then I stand corrected, but I think I was just giving a general overall impression of the gloom rock thing and not delving deep into specific examples.
In order to give a proper reply, I'd have to get in a time capsule and travel back to the early '90s as I haven't really given it much thought since then.
To be totally honest, I haven't listened to Nevermind (or any Nirvana albums)from start to finish in over two decades. Might sound strange, but true.
Once in awhile I'll listen to a track here and there on youtube, but that's about it. Maybe I'll look up some of the songs you mention, so thanks for the heads up

It's been an interesting week revisiting some of the old Soundgarden and Chris Cornell material...some of it is really great, while some of it is a thing of my distant past. RIP Chris.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 25, 2017 16:15

Hairball

The Brad Gillis transitional live era was indeed a very low point for Ozzy -

Ohohohoh you forgot the Bernie Tormé transitional live era which happened right after RR's death and was even more sordid and sad...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 25, 2017 16:20

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

The Brad Gillis transitional live era was indeed a very low point for Ozzy - possibly the lowest of them all, but he was asked to fill some big shoes (Randy Rhodes)and helped Ozzy finish the tour - after that he was long gone. But I was referring to studio albums hence my comment "the title track Bark at the Moon". As for the Zakk Wylde era, I can see why some Ozzy fans think that, though there are others who would disagree. He was in the band much longer, and while it was not all top notch, if you narrowed it all down it would rise way above the Jake.E. Lee era. Miracle Man alone tops the entire Jake.E. Lee era imo. That being said, I might have been better able to respond to all this 30+ years ago when I cared a little, but at this point I have little interest in all of the intricacies of Ozzy and his comrades throughout the years (except the Randy Rhodes era)- I've simply outgrown most of it and/or it simply hasn't stood the test of time. Looking forward to the return of Zakk Wylde into Ozzy's band...not really.
Zakk Wylde is a muscle-bound jackass, a fake biker tough guy from New Jersey who thinks he's Ted Nugent.

His poseur shtick got old over a decade ago. He was a quite good guitarist who has no ideas left. I think steroids rotted out his brain stem.

Date: May 25, 2017 19:40

dcba
Hairball

The Brad Gillis transitional live era was indeed a very low point for Ozzy -

Ohohohoh you forgot the Bernie Tormé transitional live era which happened right after RR's death and was even more sordid and sad...

Yes I forgot, or maybe never knew in the first place?!
From wiki: "After only 7 shows in 10 days, Tormé quit"...lol...he was gone in the blink of an eye!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 25, 2017 19:48

Apparently Tormé split cause he couldn't stand seeing entire rows of people crying while he was playing songs Rhoads had written...

And now... music for the masses :
[www.youtube.com]

What's not to like about 80's hair metal? grinning smiley

Date: May 25, 2017 20:02

Lol..I watched that about a year ago. The inclusion of the Spinal Tap guy is more than appropriate - the entire thing is a joke, although they meant well and was for a good cause!
If you listen to all of those metal shredding guitar solos closely, turns out they're all exactly the same!!!grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 25, 2017 21:54

Heart's Ann Wilson on Chris Cornell's 'Brilliant' Artistry, 'Inhumane Pressure' of Fame

Interesting and insightful. I found it worth the time.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 30, 2017 18:48

I unfortunately heard Whitney Houston's Dance With Somebody or whatever it is and, after actually listening to it in an attempt to find any real instruments in it, I looked at my wife and said "I always hated this song but it is beyond horrible". Her response was "This is what Soundgarden and Nirvana were reacting to."

Of course it's more than that but that really made it clear what happened in the late 1980s/early 1990s with the rock/punk/metal music coming out of the Northwest (sure, "grunge" - just a name to clarify that it was from Seattle/Seattle area).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 30, 2017 19:20

I´d rather listen to Wanna Dance With Somebody than to any of the grunge stuff of the 90s.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 31, 2017 00:04

HMS
I´d rather listen to Wanna Dance With Somebody than to any of the grunge stuff of the 90s.

Somehow, you, Mr. No Taste, have found a way to top yourself yet again. Glad to see the ignorance has found a way to evolve.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 31, 2017 00:53

I'm sure dancing with myself would be the next track on your playlist...

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: May 31, 2017 02:18

Hairball
"I think he was a little nervous about playing in Detroit, the music capital of the world, and he took a little too much of the Ativan."
Cornell had been a music professional since the 80s. I'm sure he's played Detroit dozens of times. But all of a sudden he was nervous? I don't buy it.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 31, 2017 02:26

Boognish
Hairball
"I think he was a little nervous about playing in Detroit, the music capital of the world, and he took a little too much of the Ativan."
Cornell had been a music professional since the 80s. I'm sure he's played Detroit dozens of times. But all of a sudden he was nervous? I don't buy it.

Agreed Boognish - Chris was an amazing talent wicked voice - Sounds like he battled addiction his whole life just listen to alot of his lyrics - Its a sad story and even sadder that he leaves behind a wife and kids....

Be yourself, is all that you can be...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home