Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Totally Stripped CD - best live album of their career
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 17:24

Simply put: Stripped (or at least those live CDs from the deluxe editions) seems to be the only live album that they ever released (all those other so called 'live' albums are heavily overdubbed and/or have been reworked in the studio)

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:09

slewan
Simply put: Stripped (or at least those live CDs from the deluxe editions) seems to be the only live album that they ever released (all those other so called 'live' albums are heavily overdubbed and/or have been reworked in the studio)

I don’t hear any overdubs on the Sticky Fingers Deluxe or Vault Series, at least not on Brussels and LA Friday.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:37

TravelinMan
slewan

I don’t hear any overdubs on the Sticky Fingers Deluxe or Vault Series, at least not on Brussels and LA Friday.

Live in Texas got overdubs and/or has been reworked in studio...?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 19, 2020 18:40

In my humble opinion, if you are a true and die hard Rolling Stones fan, Totally Stripped (Deluxe Edition) is an essential release to acquire. Is it their best DVD/CD (live album) ever-no! Get Yer Ya yas Out arguably merits that distinction. However, Totally Stripped Deluxe is essential for several reasons: You get to see the Stones up close and personal playing in various smaller venues (don't forget, this is pre Licks and more or less one offs vs. the usual big stadiums) minus the usual theatrics and props- just the Stones relying on their talent and musical abilities to deliver the goods, and boy do they! In my estimation all three shows featured on this release showcase the Stones (in their later years) playing as well as you will ever see them. Also, the set-lists are to die for! We are fortunate to be treated to the Stones delivering great performances of rarities not frequently performed like Meet Me in the Bottom, Love In Vain, Spider and the Fly, Rip this Joint. We are so lucky to have these (what I call) holy grail performances released!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 19:10 by Sighunt.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 19, 2020 19:16

TravelinMan
slewan

Mick Taylor's solo in All Down the Line is overdubed in Brussels Affair. Track is from the second show. Solo - from the 1st.

Date: April 19, 2020 20:37

ironbelly
TravelinMan
slewan

Mick Taylor's solo in All Down the Line is overdubed in Brussels Affair. Track is from the second show. Solo - from the 1st.

So they edited two different takes together? There’s no way they dropped just the guitar solo in because that would be near impossible with tempo variations.

Date: April 19, 2020 21:54

TravelinMan
ironbelly
TravelinMan
slewan

So they edited two different takes together? There’s no way they dropped just the guitar solo in because that would be near impossible with tempo variations.
Yes, they did. It was immediately mentioned when that material became available for the 1st time on Stones Archive. Bootleg recordings of low-fi quality exist for the 1st show. Taylor had problems with guitar during ADTL. On current release the solo clearly is from the 2nd show.

Editing two tracks together is no rocket science. Frank Zappa used to do that trick years for his sets You Can't Do I On Stage Anymore.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:12

slewan

I don't think there are overdubs on Shine a Light. I am not 100% sure, but I recall a discussion about this when it was released and if I rememeber correctly, the general consensus was, that it had no overdubs. Anyway, overdubs or not, the Totally Stripped is waaay better of course.

Date: April 19, 2020 22:18

ironbelly
TravelinMan
ironbelly
TravelinMan
slewan

Yes, they did. It was immediately mentioned when that material became available for the 1st time on Stones Archive. Bootleg recordings of low-fi quality exist for the 1st show. Taylor had problems with guitar during ADTL. On current release the solo clearly is from the 2nd show.

Editing two tracks together is no rocket science. Frank Zappa used to do that trick years for his sets You Can't Do I On Stage Anymore.

I understand editing two songs together, I’m an audio engineer. I was just clarifying because overdubbing is a totally different process. I suppose they didn’t use the version with the good solo instead of the Frankenstein job because Jagger felt his performance was better.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 19, 2020 22:31

It's near the very end, has nothing to do with Jagger
And it's quite understandable that they did, since Taylor broke a string for the 2nd ADTL solo, as evident on the bootleg recordings. And nicely done rework, very good idea too.

Date: April 20, 2020 00:37

Erik_Snow
And it's quite understandable that they did, since Taylor broke a string for the 2nd ADTL solo, as evident on the bootleg recordings. And nicely done rework, very good idea too.

So Jagger felt the overall performance was better then? I mean obviously they had to choose to splice two different versions together rather than just use the one without a broken string.

How do you break a string playing slide guitar? Haha.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 20, 2020 01:31

TravelinMan
Erik_Snow

So Jagger felt the overall performance was better then? I mean obviously they had to choose to splice two different versions together rather than just use the one without a broken string.

The ending of LSTNT from the show, Hampton, is not the ending that's on STILL LIFE, which has never been sourced to my knowledge.

Date: April 20, 2020 11:19

TravelinMan
Erik_Snow

winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 20, 2020 12:25

TravelinMan

ha......ha

No, the policy was to use the somewhat unknown 2nd Brussels show, apart from the songs that had issues.

The 1st show is better for just about all the songs. But they didn't release that one, save for 3 songs.

I don't know what your point is or what you're trying to make. For instance, GYYYO would be better if they did no overdubs, and just released the MSG gig(s) in their entirely, but they didn't!
Same goes for Love You Live

And even if they DID put out all the very best performances, and left the poorer ones in the vault; that would be the RIGHT thing to do.

They are/were artists, they do change things, try to stir it up, makes things better, makes things worse, but this is what they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 12:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 20, 2020 13:44

ironbelly
TravelinMan
ironbelly
TravelinMan
slewan

OOOPS.Sorry guys, it seems that I messed up with shows in the previous post.
ADTL for the 1st show was OK
ADTL for the 2nd show was problematic
I mentioned them in reverse in my post above.
Bootleg recordings of low-fi quality exist for the 2nd show.
On current release the solo clearly is from the 1st show planted into the 2nd.

Date: April 20, 2020 18:42

Erik_Snow
TravelinMan

ha......ha

No, the policy was to use the somewhat unknown 2nd Brussels show, apart from the songs that had issues.

The 1st show is better for just about all the songs. But they didn't release that one, save for 3 songs.

I don't know what your point is or what you're trying to make. For instance, GYYYO would be better if they did no overdubs, and just released the MSG gig(s) in their entirely, but they didn't!

And even if they DID put out all the very best performances, and left the poorer ones in the vault; that would be the RIGHT thing to do.

They are/were artists, they do change things, try to stir it up, makes things better, makes things worse, but this is what they do.

I think my point was pretty clear. Sure they included some unheard versions, but they chose the best performances, otherwise why include the previously bootlegged versions at all? If you go to Wolfgang’s Vault, they still have about 5 songs from the King Biscuit show (they used to have the complete show) because the rest were officially released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 18:43 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:03

Always my opinion.
1995, so far...

powerage78
Gimme Shelter Amsterdam Paradiso 1995, best version ever with Ronnie IMO.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:42

They probably peaked in 1995, although 1990 they played pretty darn well too (especially Keith)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 20, 2020 22:03

It shows the Post Golden Era Stones cannot cover songs by the Golden Era Stones.

Date: April 21, 2020 07:21

TravelinMan
Erik_Snow
TravelinMan

ha......ha

I think my point was pretty clear. Sure they included some unheard versions, but they chose the best performances, otherwise why include the previously bootlegged versions at all? If you go to Wolfgang’s Vault, they still have about 5 songs from the King Biscuit show (they used to have the complete show) because the rest were officially released.

So they have chosen the worst performances, in your opinion. Yes, that would be wise
In one way, they did just that, with the LA 1975 "video show".

Date: April 21, 2020 14:32

Erik_Snow
TravelinMan
Erik_Snow
TravelinMan

ha......ha

So they have chosen the worst performances, in your opinion. Yes, that would be wise
In one way, they did just that, with the LA 1975 "video show".

I’m not sure why you’re making something out of a simple statement. I said they must have picked the best performances of the two shows. Pretty straightforward. Instead of using the version of “All Down the Line” without issues, they chose to splice two together.

Date: April 21, 2020 14:47

The other (well-known) ADTL-version fell apart toward the end, didn't it? At least, there were some horrible chord-changes in there, if memory serves.

But the solo was great.

Date: April 21, 2020 16:34

DandelionPowderman
The other (well-known) ADTL-version fell apart toward the end, didn't it? At least, there were some horrible chord-changes in there, if memory serves.

But the solo was great.

I just listened, and I haven't in a while. I totally forgot Taylor played without the slide on the solos.

Also, wow. The official release is so compressed compared to the Definitive Edition. Jagger's vocals are more intelligible on the official version, so I'm not surprised he wanted that one,

I was wrong, it sounds like they did fly the solo in. They probably used some time stretching because the tempos are a bit different. The official version is a bit faster. I still prefer the bootleg. smileys with beer

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: April 21, 2020 19:41

there is a cd / dvd edition of the adil supermarket in jewel some got it can put photos of it

Date: April 21, 2020 20:25

mick64
there is a cd / dvd edition of the adil supermarket in jewel some got it can put photos of it
ALDI jewelcase version (EAGDV067) was on sale for very short time in The Netherlands.
You can find photos in Stones Info Group on FB
[www.facebook.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home