Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Totally Stripped CD - best live album of their career
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 2, 2017 05:33

Never got around to ordering Totally Stripped until now. Just got the beautiful boxed set and am playing the CD. Totally blown away by how good the band is playing on it and how good the recording is. Damn. No comparison to Havana Moon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-02 05:33 by Send It To me.

Re: Totally Stripped CD - best live album of their career
Date: May 2, 2017 15:28

It's really great.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 2, 2017 15:46

So I have a couple of ?s about this one, as I missed that there were bonus tracks on the Japanese release prior to ordering the standard edition. Are the bonus tracks on the standard DVD/BR-CD edition too, or only on the Deluxe 4-Disc version?

Also, what makes the Amazon version exclusive? Is it that it comes with a hard bound book??

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 2, 2017 16:19

VoodooLounge13
So I have a couple of ?s about this one, as I missed that there were bonus tracks on the Japanese release prior to ordering the standard edition. Are the bonus tracks on the standard DVD/BR-CD edition too, or only on the Deluxe 4-Disc version?

Also, what makes the Amazon version exclusive? Is it that it comes with a hard bound book??

Found the answer to this one - the 3 bonus tracks can be had on both versions!!! Now I just need to figure out what makes the Amazon edition exclusive!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 2, 2017 17:11

VoodooLounge13
VoodooLounge13

Found the answer to this one - the 3 bonus tracks can be had on both versions!!! Now I just need to figure out what makes the Amazon edition exclusive!
Actually, nothing. It seems that ordinary EU Totally Stripped Deluxe (CD+3DVD) was sold exclusively via amazon in the US. That's it. Aside of the ridiculously high price there was nothing special.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 2, 2017 17:39

Gimme Shelter Amsterdam Paradiso 1995, best version ever with Ronnie IMO.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 2, 2017 18:47

powerage78
Gimme Shelter Amsterdam Paradiso 1995, best version ever with Ronnie IMO.

Absolutely no doubt on this.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 2, 2017 19:30

About the 4th best live album of their career, after Ya Yas, Brussels,
Live '65. Anything after Bill left is a step down from the golden age of the band.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 2, 2017 19:48

I like Havana Moon, Hyde Park, Live Licks & Shine A Light better than TS. Best "golden-age-album"? L.A. Friday.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 2, 2017 22:12

I agree, the total song selections, the performances, the sound, the mix, the package....It's like being there....you really can't get any better...especially with audio video components the way they are. If you have a HD large screen, a big dark room, and awesome sound tied into it...with a bar in the corner....you can have one awesome Stones experience.

Now if a different type of era performance, or personnel move you better, then you may not see it that way...I think the Totally Stripped product is something The Rolling Stones really will find hard to top. I think San Jose 99 concerts...where they had alot of varied songs, and the performances were awesome, might be able touch this release, because of the type of recording...and the No Security stages were really dark backgrounds, the mixes were awesome,loud....and they were playing a the absolute top of their game.

I no longer listen to Sympathy on Ya-yas the way I used to when I was 18...I'm 60 now..so cranking my giant Harmon Kardons.. smoking a joint with the gang...after a night of carousing...doesn't happen anymore....I mean if the wife and kids go away...naw...I've done that thousands of times.that's like going backwards in maturity and socially for me...I mean, some of you have smoked marijuana before haven't you? It really changes the way you hear the music...but you can't always do that... you really don't want the kids, wife and pets running around you asking where you bought those chicken breasts...but I digress.

My point is, I agree with you, especially if you are listening sober and clearly with the family and friends...The Rolling Stones really come across in this package.

Hey Mick! :-)

Send It To me
Never got around to ordering Totally Stripped until now. Just got the beautiful boxed set and am playing the CD. Totally blown away by how good the band is playing on it and how good the recording is. Damn. No comparison to Havana Moon.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 2, 2017 22:48

The problem with the TS cd is that it feels just like what it is - a quick collection of tracks thrown together from the complete videos. It doesn't flow well and the choice of tracks doesn't make sense.

Why ''Miss You'', why ''Like A Rolling Stone'' when the stipped version is better? Why ''Street Fighting Man'' in the exact same version as on Stripped? Anyone who buys Totally Stripped will most like already own Stipped. It's stupid and ignorant beyond belief.

The real treasures from these concerts are not on this cd. Actually for the cd to have any value it should have included something from an unreleased 1995 show or something unheard from the Tobisha sessions.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 2, 2017 23:37

Actually for the cd to have any value it should have included something from an unreleased 1995 show or something unheard from the Tobisha sessions.

YEP!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 3, 2017 00:33

Love all the Stripped stuff and play it often. True gems.

Date: May 3, 2017 00:53

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 3, 2017 01:01

It was a dynamic show of Telecaster force!

Date: May 3, 2017 01:02

.... and don't forget the recent Japanese only release ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: May 3, 2017 04:05

Is it still available in the US

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 3, 2017 04:58

HMS
I like Havana Moon, Hyde Park, Live Licks & Shine A Light better than TS. Best "golden-age-album"? L.A. Friday.
Of course you do.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 3, 2017 05:23

Rockman
Actually for the cd to have any value it should have included something from an unreleased 1995 show or something unheard from the Tobisha sessions.

YEP!!!!

Or Still A Fool and Jump On Top Of Me from Amsterdam II... something along these lines..RAAAAAAARE, not common stuff like Miss You.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 3, 2017 05:26

keefriff99
HMS
Of course you do.

Don HMSotte fighting windmills...once again...

Date: May 3, 2017 11:22

Donnebr
Is it still available in the US
Yes. Exclusive and overpriced via amazon
Blueray based deluxe $107
[www.amazon.com]
DVD based deluxe $88
[www.amazon.com]

Actually, this is almost double price comparing to EU. On this side of the Pond Blueray Based deluxe is less than 50 EUR and DVD based ~40 EUR.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 3, 2017 12:26

retired_dog
keefriff99
HMS
Of course you do.

Hyde Park, Havana and SAL present real concerts, Totally Stripped is just a compilation of live-tracks. Live Licks is a compilation too but imo better than Totally Stripped, which to me is not very exciting. In fact I was rather bored when listening to it.

Date: May 3, 2017 12:48

Totally Stripped can't be reviewed without the accompanying three shows. The Single CD is merely a teaser.

The whole package is ace - it's wonderful thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 3, 2017 12:59

I still have not even removed the plastic wrap from my deluxe edition ,as I have been having too much fun playing B&L.

Date: May 3, 2017 13:38

HMS
retired_dog
keefriff99
HMS
Of course you do.

Hyde Park, Havana and SAL present real concerts, Totally Stripped is just a compilation of live-tracks. Live Licks is a compilation too but imo better than Totally Stripped, which to me is not very exciting. In fact I was rather bored when listening to it.
One should agree with the fact that the CD of Totally Stripped is not that exited. Actually, song selection is not very good. MY and MR eat almost 20 minutes combined and they are no rarity at all.

Even new official documentary is weak comparing to old Stripped TV show.

But the Deluxe box is great. I mean the one with 3 complete club shows (each of those shows are way better than SSS, HM or SAL). It is a pity that only one of those is available as a limited (and unreasonably overpriced) Japanese edition.

Date: May 3, 2017 16:16

I do agree, that Totally Stripped is only great in the Deluxe edition.
I understand fans who are complete collectors would want access to the Japanese edition that has the extra's...and I think the Japanese edition is region coded as well. So playing the DVD's might be problematic to some. I think the bonus CD might be pretty cool to have, since they could be potentially unheard mixes or performances of those particular songs...but it's only like 4 songs I think...

We have all heard the Toshiba studio complete recordings, that include Lets Spend The Night Together, Beast of Burden, and a few others...which I agree if there was a separate disc of the total studio recordings mixed right, with bass turned down...that would be awesome. I love that version of Wild Horses...and the video that went with it shows how effortlessly The Stones played that song superbly.

We are greedy fans that want everything we know exists...that being said, I stand by my original comment of agreement with the topic...it IS the best live album collection that I have seen by them. Yes, being a little picky...the fans here want all obscure...The Stones want a package that will market to everyone...so Midnight Rambler, and Miss You must be on there. *Someone* wants to make sure that disc sells to Grandpa Ted standing in Best Buy..or wife Mable buying for Husband Mike for Fathers Day...has recognizable play list. The Stones have always done that, even when putting together their set lists. UH OH....

I wouldn't be surprised to see a TOSHIBA RECORDING STONES SPECIAL disc sometime in the future...

Here is a description of the Japanese super edition....which most of you know.

"Exclusive to Japan is the Totally Stripped Premium Box which includes the four blu-rays and CD, the two vinyl LPs, the book, a T-shirt, a bonus CD and replica backstage passes. But it’s very expensive and the T-shirt is in Japanese! The tracks on the Japan bonus CD are The Spider and The Fly (Amsterdam performances), Sipping Away (Paris performance), Sweet Virginia (Brixton performance) all different, apparently from the original Stripped CD."

ironbelly

Even new official documentary is weak comparing to old Stripped TV show.

But the Deluxe box is great. I mean the one with 3 complete club shows (each of those shows are way better than SSS, HM or SAL). It is a pity that only one of those is available as a limited (and unreasonably overpriced) Japanese edition.

Date: May 3, 2017 16:40

onestep
Yes, that Japanese superdeluxe is great and with special extras.

But I was actually talking about the one Rockman showed above. The recent stand alone edition of Paris concert in DVD (or Bluray) + 2CD format [catalog # GQBS-90278 or GQXS-90244]. This edition is ~80 EUR (including taxes and S&H) from amazon Japan. A bit too much winking smiley

Date: May 3, 2017 19:05

Thanks for keeping me straight!
I wasn't aware of the stand alone...which would
Be cool to have an entire CD of each total performance!
I'm not sure how to rip the sound from the DVD's
into a playable format that could be put on CD.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 3, 2017 19:31

I never pick a 'best' of anything with the Stones. I enjoy it all.

There's great material on Havana Moon, Shine a Light, Stripped, South Africa and Tokyo 1995, LA 1975 and of course other classics from 1965, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1978, 1981, 1997 and so on. I love them all.

If I had the time I'd like to pick the best tracks in the best sound and make a concert collection of about 100 songs. I'd surely include Stop Breaking Down from Miami 1994 and many more.

Yes, the Stripped concerts are particularly great. Glad to have them. No complaints here.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 3, 2017 20:05

Okay, so it's not a LIVE ALBUM, but can we at least stipulate that it's the best-performed, cleanest, and best-recorded live material of the last 37 years?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home