Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 82
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter European Tour 2017
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 14, 2017 16:49

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
rollmops
Here is a very interesting well known clip that shows that Jagger(1969) has some chops on the guitar. Yes he isn't Hendrix but he got some good grooves to offer on the open G.
His Brown Sugar's and Robert Jonson's sound good enough to impress Ike and Tina.

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

I've heard people on this website say that he's nowadays the 1st or 2nd best guitarist in the band ... but that was of course before he had the audacity to release a single!

LB are you agreeing with op that Mick is now the second best guitar player in band ? in your own words you said you were being a bit of a dick where CH was concerned.
Lets hope history isn't repeating itself.

You know, I'm honestly not competent to judge guitar playing. I will say that I don't hear Mick play anything remotely as cringeworthy as Keith's latter-day "Sympathy for the Devil" solos ... but then again I don't think Mick even takes any solos, does he? He seems to stay within a pretty narrow range.

LB I have the same judge issues but what do you think of Keith's solo from last year's private foxboro gig? Starts around 3 minute mark.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 16:51

LongBeachArena72
StonedRambler
stone4ever
I thought Karl Danson was a great replacement for Bobby at first, he respectfully stayed with Bobbys style and approach while adding his own brilliant distinctive touches. But know i think he has strayed a little to far away from Bobby's original Sax parts. Probably just me because i was such a big fan of Bobby and the way he played.
Agree. As Karl said himself, Bobby played with a very minimalistic 'slowhand'-like approach, but Karl seems to forget that too often and wants to show his abilitys. But I think these saxophone parts from Bobby are so characteristic and memorable that they should not be messed around with too much. I think the Havana Moon Solo of BS was great.
But isn't it kinda tough to expect a 'replacement' to simply parrot his predecessor's lines? Do we expect that of Daryl, or Chuck, or even Ronnie, for that matter? Musicians are people; seems like it would be tough for them not to express some personality into their playing.

That is exactly why I like Karl Denson very much. Brown Sugar from Havanna is a fine example. He takes some lines that Bobby played but he adds his own style to it. He doesn't copy it but he doesn't do something completely different either. I like his playing much better than the Tim Ries solos on Miss You where I miss the dirt of Bobby Keys

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 18:38

Maindefender
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
rollmops
Here is a very interesting well known clip that shows that Jagger(1969) has some chops on the guitar. Yes he isn't Hendrix but he got some good grooves to offer on the open G.
His Brown Sugar's and Robert Jonson's sound good enough to impress Ike and Tina.

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

I've heard people on this website say that he's nowadays the 1st or 2nd best guitarist in the band ... but that was of course before he had the audacity to release a single!

LB are you agreeing with op that Mick is now the second best guitar player in band ? in your own words you said you were being a bit of a dick where CH was concerned.

You know, I'm honestly not competent to judge guitar playing. I will say that I don't hear Mick play anything remotely as cringeworthy as Keith's latter-day "Sympathy for the Devil" solos ... but then again I don't think Mick even takes any solos, does he? He seems to stay within a pretty narrow range.

LB I have the same judge issues but what do you think of Keith's solo from last year's private foxboro gig? Starts around 3 minute mark.

[www.youtube.com]

Hard to judge from the sound on that clip. On the plus side, I didn't hear any bum notes from KR. On the down side the entire band sound as if they are underwater and on thorazine. It's hard to be embarrassed for guys making a cool million for their troubles but my god that's an embarrassing performance.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 14, 2017 19:07

Nothing new here, I'm just posting this video for those who like to "collect" them.

Rolling Stones in Stockholm 2017

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 14, 2017 19:25

hockenheim95
LongBeachArena72
StonedRambler
stone4ever
I thought Karl Danson was a great replacement for Bobby at first, he respectfully stayed with Bobbys style and approach while adding his own brilliant distinctive touches. But know i think he has strayed a little to far away from Bobby's original Sax parts. Probably just me because i was such a big fan of Bobby and the way he played.
Agree. As Karl said himself, Bobby played with a very minimalistic 'slowhand'-like approach, but Karl seems to forget that too often and wants to show his abilitys. But I think these saxophone parts from Bobby are so characteristic and memorable that they should not be messed around with too much. I think the Havana Moon Solo of BS was great.
But isn't it kinda tough to expect a 'replacement' to simply parrot his predecessor's lines? Do we expect that of Daryl, or Chuck, or even Ronnie, for that matter? Musicians are people; seems like it would be tough for them not to express some personality into their playing.

That is exactly why I like Karl Denson very much. Brown Sugar from Havanna is a fine example. He takes some lines that Bobby played but he adds his own style to it. He doesn't copy it but he doesn't do something completely different either. I like his playing much better than the Tim Ries solos on Miss You where I miss the dirt of Bobby Keys

And Karl Denson played a blistering piece on 'CYHMK' Zipcode/Sticky/Fonda.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 14, 2017 19:33

Cristiano Radtke
Nothing new here, I'm just posting this video for those who like to "collect" them.

Not even Stockholm is sold out?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 14, 2017 19:33

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Well how can i put this truthfully as i see it while not causing a negative reaction by anyone. This is a tricky touchy awkward question but here's to freedom of speech.
LB, Mick isn't a guitar player as such, he can play guitar but i don't rate him as a competent guitarist. He certainly hasn't got through a show full of guitar parts yet and why would he, he does what he does best at the mic stand.
Its silly to try and compare Mick to Keith in this way because from the few clips we have seen from Mick he looks like a beginner. What little flare he showed in 69 in that youtube clip is probably lost now forever. I doubt he has ever had the time or the inclination to be a professional guitarist with a catalogue of songs that he could play live. He can get by, but he is more of a strummer from what i have seen, yes, he can pen and write songs with guitar in hand , yes he can do some riffs. But Keith out of his mind drunk suffering from severe concussion would be able to play better because he plays the guitar for a living.
I'm sure if Mick wanted to improve his guitar skills he would have, he certainly could have, but i honestly think he didn't take it so seriously as that.
He can play competently enough to enter the band for a few tracks giving that extra guitar probably not needed, but its not important to the show imho.
And no Mick doesn't play solo's, he has Ronnie and Keith for that. Or Pete or Beck etc.
Ok that is just my opinion based on what little i have seen from Mick.

I have picked up the guitar at various times in my life and i can get to a point that it would appear that i know what i'm doing. But 2 moths later when i pick it up again its difficult, it takes a while to play that song again and its even harder to learn a new one when your fingers have gone soft again.
I think to be a good guitarist you have to make it an obsession or regularly play live with a band. This is how i see Mick as a player, a bit like me, he can play, he can learn, but he is not a natural, its not his passion. Now the Harp is another story, he is a natural, quite brilliant.
I'm sure there are many on here that completely disagree with me who know much more about the guitar than i, but i was just filling in LB with my limited opinion.

Date: August 14, 2017 20:17

Since I can barely tie my shoes unassisted, far be it from me to know what you need to do on guitar to be considered "competent." Since he's been playing guitar on and off stage for 50 years and has no doubt written hundreds of songs on guitar, my guess would be that he has spent thousands of hours at least 'strumming' a guitar. Whether that makes him 'competent' or not is beyond my pay grade.

I do remember thinking back in 1972 that he was a really good guitarist. I had just bought Exile and was poring over the liner notes and noticed that one M Jagger was credited with guitar on "Tumbling Dice." I knew that Keith played the 'lead'-ish type guitars on that song, and that M Taylor had played bass, so I concluded that M Jagger must've played that chunky propulsive rhythm guitar that gives the song its juice.

I thought that for about 40 years then came on this site and was informed by DP that in fact Keith played that guitar part. (It was a crushing moment, roughly equivalent to the first time I learned that Jimmy Miller played the outro on "Dice" because Charlie couldn't hack it.) So, I'm back to not knowing sh*t from shingle about just what Mick plays on "Tumbling Dice."

Date: August 14, 2017 20:22

Maindefender
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

[www.youtube.com]

That's interesting, when Keith was just relaxed enjoying himself under no pressure he played really well then. He was doing really well before they stopped playing last year, the best most fluent id seen him since the start of the 50th celebration concerts.
Blimmy at this rate Keith is going to be playing hot in 2023 for his 80th birthday. '

Date: August 14, 2017 20:26

Put it this way LB. You asked does Mick do solo's , nodding towards Mick possibly being more competent than Keith on SFTD. I'm saying i have seen no evidence that Mick could play the solo on SFTD.
I'm not saying he cant, but nothing that's been shown on iorr or anywhere else shows him playing that sort of solo. You can't compare what you haven't seen.

Date: August 14, 2017 20:39

LongBeachArena72
Maindefender
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

[www.youtube.com]

Hard to judge from the sound on that clip. On the plus side, I didn't hear any bum notes from KR. On the down side the entire band sound as if they are underwater and on thorazine. It's hard to be embarrassed for guys making a cool million for their troubles but my god that's an embarrassing performance.

LB that was recorded on a mobile phone, do you think that's what it sounds like when you are there. When did you last attend a Stones gig ?

Date: August 14, 2017 20:40

stone4ever
Put it this way LB. You asked does Mick do solo's , nodding towards Mick possibly being more competent than Keith on SFTD. I'm saying i have seen no evidence that Mick could play the solo on SFTD.
I'm not saying he cant, but nothing that's been shown on iorr or anywhere else shows him playing that sort of solo. You can't compare what you haven't seen.

Just to be clear: Despite his current challenges, Keith is a FAR more accomplished guitarist than Mick; to argue otherwise would be silly, imho. (Although, to be honest, I've always thought Keith was a better songwriter than a guitarist.)

The subject of Mick's guitar playing has come up a lot recently. (For example, HB's wondering if Mick's limitations as a guitarist might impact his songwriting.)

I tend to think of Mick as a pretty determined guy who is capable of working hard on his craft. My guess--and it's only a guess--is that if he stood still onstage and just played, he might surprise us. (Just like if he stood still and just sang.)

Date: August 14, 2017 20:42

LongBeachArena72

So, I'm back to not knowing sh*t from shingle about just what Mick plays on "Tumbling Dice."

As soon as there's a good rhythm guitarist in the Stones, it is Keith basically, even if it isn't Keith. Get used to it. winking smiley

Date: August 14, 2017 20:53

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

LB that was recorded on a mobile phone, do you think that's what it sounds like when you are there. When did you last attend a Stones gig ?

So a mobile phone is good enough for you to think he's playing well and for me to think they aren't. Sounds about right!

Having been to hundreds of live events in all genres over the years, I think I'm capable of extrapolating from the mobile version to what the real experience was like, just as we all do.

(Plus, of course, in the Stones' case we have the plethora of official live releases over the past couple of decades to consider.)

I've seen the band twice: in 1972 when they were glorious, and in 1978 when they were silly enough that I never went back. (Would have gone in 1975 but was out of the country in your fine land.)

Date: August 14, 2017 20:57

TheflyingDutchman
LongBeachArena72

So, I'm back to not knowing sh*t from shingle about just what Mick plays on "Tumbling Dice."

As soon as there's a good rhythm guitarist in the Stones, it is Keith basically, even if it isn't Keith. Get used to it. winking smiley

Ok, got it!

BTW, I was trying to write 'shinola' and got autocorrected. Not knowing sh*t from shingle makes no sense at all.

Date: August 14, 2017 21:03

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

So a mobile phone is good enough for you to think he's playing well and for me to think they aren't. Sounds about right!

Having been to hundreds of live events in all genres over the years, I think I'm capable of extrapolating from the mobile version to what the real experience was like, just as we all do.

(Plus, of course, in the Stones' case we have the plethora of official live releases over the past couple of decades to consider.)

I've seen the band twice: in 1972 when they were glorious, and in 1978 when they were silly enough that I never went back. (Would have gone in 1975 but was out of the country in your fine land.)

You said they sounded like they were playing under water and on thorazine . That will be the mobile phone. Last time i saw them the sound was fantastic, nothing embarrassing about them what so ever. Tired of the warhorses yes.
In that clip i could hear , as you could here, no bum notes from Keith, and it was fluid and cool. I enjoyed it.

Date: August 14, 2017 22:46

Monsoon Ragoon
35love
It looks like sax man Karl Denson
has shows booked up until 8/26.
Wonder if he will be on the RS No Filter tour?

August 26 is two weeks before the tour. Why not? He doesn't need to rehearse much.

Cutting it kinda close? Doesn't he need a run thru
'Waiting On A Friend'

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 14, 2017 23:54

LongBeachArena72
TheflyingDutchman
LongBeachArena72

Ok, got it!

BTW, I was trying to write 'shinola' and got autocorrected. Not knowing sh*t from shingle makes no sense at all.

Off topic but...

I wasn't confused at all by a comparison of sh!t to a shingle... When connected by "on a" it's a common term for a specific meal served in the military. I can actually remember my great uncle telling stories that "Sh!t on a shingle was bad enough but you knew it was a really bad day when you couldn't tell the difference between the sh!t and the shingle".

Off topic? Yes. But I still thank you for bringing a good memory of someone long departed to my brain.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 23:57

Best Tour ever smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 15, 2017 00:39

mr_dja
LongBeachArena72
TheflyingDutchman
LongBeachArena72

Ok, got it!

Off topic but...

I wasn't confused at all by a comparison of sh!t to a shingle... When connected by "on a" it's a common term for a specific meal served in the military. I can actually remember my great uncle telling stories that "Sh!t on a shingle was bad enough but you knew it was a really bad day when you couldn't tell the difference between the sh!t and the shingle".

Off topic? Yes. But I still thank you for bringing a good memory of someone long departed to my brain.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yeah, my dad, a US Navy man, used to regale us with tales of shit on a shingle, also known as chipped beef on toast, in which some thinly sliced deli meat floated meekly in a mass of cornstarchy goo. Also popular was "graveyard stew:" pieces of white bread drenched in milk and sprinkled liberally with white sugar.

After all, as we all know, a navy sails on its stomach!

Date: August 15, 2017 02:06

MadMax
I'd say 2000 EURO for two people to meet and greet AND tickets included is a VERY good price. Does one need to have a Mastercard though? Bugger VISA never get to offer stuff like this.... :-/

Visa I might have crossed into deceit no Mastercard so I asked my spouse if I could try for this (meet the band!! I said jumping up and down)
Extra show extra stay,
he said no.

After some initial sadness, I'm remembering I'm on borrowed personal RS time anyways, swearing the last show I saw was all I needed ;-)
and I'M STILL GOING TO A 'NO FILTER' SHOW!!
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 04:49 by 35love.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 15, 2017 12:19

Hi
When organizer is supposed to send e-tickets?

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 15, 2017 12:55

Monsoon Ragoon
Cristiano Radtke

No , still lots of GS and Front standing left

Date: August 15, 2017 15:07

tiffanyblu
Monsoon Ragoon
Cristiano Radtke

Maybe they should have used different cities this time around (like in Spain). Some places are the same or in the same region as 2014 (Paris, Dusseldorf, Denmark, Stockholm). Of course they risk not to sell out again the same towns after just three years with these absurd prices.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 17:01 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: August 15, 2017 15:26

Monsoon Ragoon
tiffanyblu
Monsoon Ragoon
Cristiano Radtke

Maybe they should have used different cities this time around (like in Spain). Some places are the same or in the same region as 2014 (Paris, Dusseldorf, Denmark, Stockholm).

They are playing Barcelona, what cities were you contemplating?? Gibraltar, I'm sure that's what you're thinking.....tongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 15, 2017 15:40

LongBeachArena72
TheflyingDutchman
LongBeachArena72

Ok, got it!

There are 2 rhythm guitars on TD. One on the right channel after the intro riff is clearly Keith . There's another one on the left, a bit buried in the mix. Could be Jagger.

Date: August 15, 2017 15:46

TheflyingDutchman
LongBeachArena72
TheflyingDutchman
LongBeachArena72

Ok, got it!

There are 2 rhythm guitars on TD. One on the right channel after the intro riff is clearly Keith . There's another one on the left, a bit buried in the mix. Could be Jagger.

That is Jagger smiling smiley

He is credited on the album sleeve.

However, there are more guitars in there, including Keith's slide guitar etc.

Date: August 15, 2017 16:57

Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
tiffanyblu
Monsoon Ragoon
Cristiano Radtke

Maybe they should have used different cities this time around (like in Spain). Some places are the same or in the same region as 2014 (Paris, Dusseldorf, Denmark, Stockholm).

They are playing Barcelona, what cities were you contemplating?? Gibraltar, I'm sure that's what you're thinking.....tongue sticking out smiley

Please read before you comment something.

Date: August 15, 2017 17:55

Monsoon Ragoon
Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
tiffanyblu
Monsoon Ragoon
Cristiano Radtke

Cordoba?? Ahhh problem solved....

Date: August 15, 2017 18:26

Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
tiffanyblu
Monsoon Ragoon
Cristiano Radtke

Cordoba?? Ahhh problem solved....

I don't know what's your problem. I said it was RIGHT to get good sales to chose Barcelona this time and not Madrid again. In Sweden they would have probably better sales in Gothenburg were they last played many years ago. There's no real competitor for Paris, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 18:28 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 82

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2027
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home