Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: If Black And Blue were a double album...
Date: April 17, 2017 20:52

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef
I prefer the blues and rock Stones.

Thank goodness that The Stones are MUCH more than blues and rock!
It's one of the very reasons why I rate them way above bands such as The Faces or Aerosmith. The Stones were not afraid of adding textures to their approach. Otherwise you might as well be listening to AC/DC.

But when you compare something like Luxury to Bob Marley or Hot Stuff to Meters, it just makes the Stones look inept.

That's more than accurate.

Why compare then, as there is no musical reason for comparison?

If you want hear what quality reggae sounds like then listen to Bob Marley not the Stones. The whole reggae/disco stuff smacks of the Stones trying to remain relevant and following current trends. Later the same thing happened with the drum loops and samples on Bridges To Babylon. Earlier the trend happened on Their Satanic Majesties Request when they tried to adopt the psychedelia of the day but it really only worked on a couple of tracks.

Their earlier blues/r&b influenced material sounded more genuine and much of it was ahead of the trend in the U.S. at least as blues had fallen out of favor here. They were actually paying tribute to their own heroes which made it seem more sincere.

The reggae-stuff, starting with the brilliant I Got A Letter during the GHS-sessions, happened because Keith got a house in Jamaica and loved the music.

Luxury is a rock tune, albeit with some Caribbean influences. Hot Stuff is good funk track.

Either you love the Stones-sound or you don't. If you don't you'll prefer to put on Muddy Waters, Joe Tex, Merle Haggard, Jimmy Cliff or Chuck Berry if you're a purist, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 20:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2017 20:59

Brown Moses
I love B&B.
It's the first Stones album I bought.Still have that copy.

The only weak track to me is Cherry Oh Baby.
And in reply to a poster above,wasn't Luxury an earlier attempt at reggae than COB ?

Me too, on all counts

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:01

How about this thought - GHS, IORR, B&B, with assorted outtakes - would have made 2 dynamite albums. Maybe even equal to the Big 4.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:13

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

It's one of the very reasons why I rate them way above bands such as The Faces or Aerosmith. The Stones were not afraid of adding textures to their approach. Otherwise you might as well be listening to AC/DC.

But when you compare something like Luxury to Bob Marley or Hot Stuff to Meters, it just makes the Stones look inept.

If you want hear what quality reggae sounds like then listen to Bob Marley not the Stones. The whole reggae/disco stuff smacks of the Stones trying to remain relevant and following current trends. Later the same thing happened with the drum loops and samples on Bridges To Babylon. Earlier the trend happened on Their Satanic Majesties Request when they tried to adopt the psychedelia of the day but it really only worked on a couple of tracks.

Their earlier blues/r&b influenced material sounded more genuine and much of it was ahead of the trend in the U.S. at least as blues had fallen out of favor here. They were actually paying tribute to their own heroes which made it seem more sincere.

The reggae-stuff, starting with the brilliant I Got A Letter during the GHS-sessions, happened because Keith got a house in Jamaica and loved the music.

Luxury is a rock tune, albeit with some Caribbean influences. Hot Stuff is good funk track.

Either you love the Stones-sound or you don't. If you don't you'll prefer to put on Muddy Waters, Joe Tex, Merle Haggard, Jimmy Cliff or Chuck Berry if you're a purist, right?

Yes, I am aware of how Keith got into reggae. I have a single with Run Rudolph Run and The Harder They Come by Keith in fact. However, I got it for the Chuck Berry cover.

I prefer the original versions of their cover tunes. However, the earlier stuff was more genuine and sincere in my opinion as they were influenced by and covering the material of their heroes as I said before. I seriously doubt the Dust Brothers or any number of disco artists were their heroes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 21:14 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:22

... the second record would be blue.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:37

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

Yes, I am aware of how Keith got into reggae. I have a single with Run Rudolph Run and The Harder They Come by Keith in fact. However, I got it for the Chuck Berry cover.

I prefer the original versions of their cover tunes. However, the earlier stuff was more genuine and sincere in my opinion as they were influenced by and covering the material of their heroes as I said before. I seriously doubt the Dust Brothers or any number of disco artists were their heroes.

Heroes are for children...(imo at any rate)...........Mick certainly liked Bob Marley (does this allow him to attempt reggae?.......in fact, he said "Bob Marley - Live at the Roxy (disc 2) is one of his all time faves"............and disco........well, he certainly spent enough time in Studio 54 so he can't dislike it...........can he?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 21:39 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:41

DandelionPowderman

I wouldn't say it's that cut and dry - you can enjoy the Stones' sound at certain times and not totally enjoy it other times.
Also, you can enjoy one of their covers or one of their derivative tunes, yet prefer the originals which inspired them even more so.

As for Keith's love for reggae, probably happened long before he bought a house in Jamaica - it's probably the other way around.
His love for reggae is what led him to buy a house in Jamaica...to be with some herb smoking kindred souls on the beach with palm trees and warm sun.

*I love both Hot Stuff and Luxury. Hot Stuff is original and unique with some funk influence, while Luxury is indeed rock with some carribbean influences (as you say)...it's not really reggae by any stretch as others have claimed.

Date: April 17, 2017 21:45

EddieByword
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

Heroes are for children...(imo at any rate)...........Mick certainly liked Bob Marley (does this allow him to attempt reggae?.......in fact, he said "Bob Marley - Live at the Roxy (disc 2) is one of his all time faves"............and disco........well, he certainly spent enough time in Studio 54 so he can't dislike it...........can he?

I actually think Mick tried to get the Stones into that disco/funk to get some of their tracks played at Studio 54. Keith says that he was checked out for part this period due to drugs and so others had more influence on the band. I assume he means Jagger along with people like Billy Preston.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 21:45 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:47

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

It's not listening to Stones for 'reggae' , same as it's not listening to the Stones for country or any other genre ... it's the Stones, period. One can listen and enjoy Luxury without having to think 'Marley has better tracks'. Seems like you're trying to say ... get the best track possible, and then listen to nothing else.

Anyway as far as reggae goes, Stones do it incredible justice. I'll hear people try to say The Police are reggae, it makes me laugh, Stones are 99% more reggae than the Police ever came close to. I actually really like The Clash reggae tunes, but still, they don't give you that legit reggae feel like the Stones can.

Marley is great, the best, or close to it anyway ... doesn't mean you can't listen to others.

Date: April 17, 2017 21:52

In short, my point was that we can enjoy both - as long as we find it good. No reason for comparing, really.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:52

DandelionPowderman
In short, my point was that we can enjoy both - as long as we find it good. No reason for comparing, really.

Eggzactly!

Date: April 17, 2017 21:56

LeonidP
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

It's not listening to Stones for 'reggae' , same as it's not listening to the Stones for country or any other genre ... it's the Stones, period. One can listen and enjoy Luxury without having to think 'Marley has better tracks'. Seems like you're trying to say ... get the best track possible, and then listen to nothing else.

Anyway as far as reggae goes, Stones do it incredible justice. I'll hear people try to say The Police are reggae, it makes me laugh, Stones are 99% more reggae than the Police ever came close to. I actually really like The Clash reggae tunes, but still, they don't give you that legit reggae feel like the Stones can.

Marley is great, the best, or close to it anyway ... doesn't mean you can't listen to others.

Sure I can listen to Jimmy Cliff, Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals etc. but the Stones reggae does nothing for me. Same with the disco/funk stuff.

I like Stones a lot and have hundreds of bootlegs but it doesn't mean I like everything that they release.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 17, 2017 22:27

LeonidP
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

I put multi band cd on shuffle the other day and this track came on and I thought...."I don't remember Lee 'Scratch' Perry being on this......then I realised, it was the Stones' Feel on - dub version...........superb

Date: April 17, 2017 23:04

EddieByword
LeonidP
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

I put multi band cd on shuffle the other day and this track came on and I thought...."I don't remember Lee 'Scratch' Perry being on this......then I realised, it was the Stones' Feel on - dub version...........superb

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:40

DandelionPowderman

Right. And to sum that up, it's why I don't listen to Luxury or Cherry Oh Baby.

Date: April 18, 2017 08:34

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

And Marley you listen to endlessly? I'm not gonna ask about the Meters. That came with the mother's milk over there at your place, right? winking smiley

Date: April 18, 2017 16:45

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

And Marley you listen to endlessly? I'm not gonna ask about the Meters. That came with the mother's milk over there at your place, right? winking smiley

Ha ha. I do love me some Meters.

I do listen to other reggae artists than Marley so, technically, I don't listen to Marley endlessly!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 18, 2017 17:11

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Luxury is one of the most enjoyable songs on IORR. Absolutely no reason to skip this one. I think most bands back then would have been lucky to have a song like Luxury to release it as a single. Nice rocker with slight caribbean influences, I love it.

Date: April 18, 2017 17:14

HMS
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Luxury is one of the most enjoyable songs on IORR. Absolutely no reason to skip this one. I think most bands back then would have been lucky to have a song like Luxury to release it as a single. Nice rocker with slight caribbean influences, I love it.

Good for you, nits. Complete nonsense as usual. I'm very proud of ya.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home