Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
If Black And Blue were a double album...
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 13, 2017 02:36

Hot Stuff
Hand Of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Act Together (finished version with lyrics)

Never Stop (finished reggae version)
Slave (unedited version)
I Got A Letter (finished version with Keith on vocals)
I Love Ladies (finished version)

Fool To Cry
Melody
Worried About You

Hey Negrita
Memory Motel
Crazy Mama

All in all it makes a mellower album but possibly a stronger and a more diversified album than the original 8-track album.

Re: If Black And Blue were a double album...
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 13, 2017 02:39

...then it would be 4 times too long.

As it is there are only enough songs to fill half an album.

From the earliest age when I was a Stones fan, beginning in 1981, B&B was the only album up to that time where for some reason I could only listen to it by "cherry picking" the songs I wanted to hear, whereas all other Stones albums I could listen all the way through without getting bored, even Satanic Travesties, and yes, Between the Buttons.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 02:48

Then it would be twice as bad.

Forgive the troll comment, but I never could get into this release....

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:01

It wouldn't be "Slave" as the title of course since there were no lyrics in 1975 (as it is, we're lucky it wasn't called "Ride a Wave" ).

I always thought Keith's vocal on "I Got a Letter" was just a guide vocal to be replaced by Mick as was often the case. Like IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, there likely wouldn't have been a Keith solo vocal. I recall Barbara Charone writing about how "Before They Make Me Run" barely made the cut for SOME GIRLS with Keith nervously awaiting Mick's approval when it was added at the eleventh hour. It is the only track on there not cut by Kimsey.

As for "I Got a Letter," when another reggae tune turned up a few years later starting with the lyrics "Sending a Letter..." I wondered if "I Got a Letter" eventually evolved into "Send It To Me."

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:18

Deserved of a deluxe. Maybe there's a cut or two never seen the light of day.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:43

Maybe if they'd worked on it a bit more and gotten deeper into that funk/reggae/whatever thing it would have been a classic album.
When they reconvened to do the next album, they'd moved on to new things.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2017 05:47

It took me a long time to accept this album as being pretty good. I think Hey Negrita is the funkiest, sleaziest thing they ever recorded. I find it funny to ask for a double album when B&B itself is two or three cuts short of a full length album. I don't think they were the only artists ripping off the public at that time with fewer cuts.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 13, 2017 06:55

I'd have to spend twice the time not listening to it.
It'd be hard to schedule.
really liked the cover tho. really beautiful photography and art design.
whoa i remember hearing of the original cover on a huge billboard on Sunset Strip. Naughty naughty. smiling smiley
[cf.collectorsweekly.com]
(including graffiti protesting it)

Here's the original actual cover that they had to scrap:
[s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com]

How the Rolling Stones' 'Black And Blue' Ad Campaign Spawned a Music Industry Revolution | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

"The Rolling Stones didn’t end up touring the U.S. in the immediate wake of the April 1976 release of Black and Blue. However, the band still managed to cause a firestorm of controversy in the States, thanks to the album’s ad campaign and a Sunset Boulevard billboard promoting the record.

The ad—which can be found in the July 1, 1976 issue of Rolling Stone—featured model Anita Russell sitting atop an unfolded copy of the Black and Blue LP. She’s bound with rope and wearing dark makeup, to make it look like she was bruised by a beating. The giant billboard was even more controversial, as it contained the same image of Russell and the LP, but added the text, “I’m ‘Black and Blue’ from the Rolling Stones – and I love it!” in giant script.

Reaction to both the ad and billboard was fierce. In the August 1976 issue of a newsletter published by the Houston-based feminist group Breakthrough, Julie London, the Los Angeles coordinator of a then-new organization of feminist-identifying individuals and groups called Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW), wrote, “This campaign exploits and sensationalizes violence against a woman for the purpose of increased record sales. The ad contributes to the myth that women like to be beaten and condones a permissive attitude towards the brutalization of women.”

The Breakthrough newsletter also reports the billboard drew a coordinated campaign of WAVAW protests which included “strong releases demanding immediate removal” and women visiting the offices of Atlantic Records and Ryan Outdoor Advertising. In the meantime, the September/October 1976 issue of Mother Jones reported that five stealth women “armed with buckets of fire-engine-red paint” visited the billboard one night and triumphantly defaced it, scrawling “This is a crime against women” near the text and also painting over Jagger’s face. For good measure, Mother Jones notes the stealth artists also painted the “women’s movement symbol” next to the Stones’ iconic tongue logo.

Atlantic Records took down the billboard soon after, while then-Warner Bros. vice chairperson David Geffen told Mother Jones the ad campaign would be suspended. The Random Notes section of the July 29, 1976 issue of Rolling Stone featured a photo of the defaced billboard taken by Robert Landau—but, as Mother Jones pointed out, didn’t mention the magazine had previously run the ad—and a short news item making note of WAVAW picketing and a press conference. (In a thinly veiled dig at the protesters, the item also said they “succeeded in getting Atlantic Records to whitewash the ad away.”) It also quoted Bob Greenberg, Atlantic Records’ West Coast general manager, who said, “It was not the intention of Atlantic, Mick [Jagger] or the Rolling Stones to offend anyone.”

Still, the protests over the Stones campaign set off waves of regional and national activism that had a sizable cultural impact. For example, a Boston chapter of WAVAW coalesced in 1977, while the Stones campaign also inspired the formation of the Houston Organization Against Sexism in the Media. And in December 1976, the California chapter of the National Coalition for Women (NOW) and WAVAW kicked off a boycott of Warner, Elektra and Atlantic Records-affiliated record labels after they “failed to reply to demands that they cease and desist in the use of images of violence against women, and sexual violence, as an advertising gimmick.”

This boycott—which spawned a letter-writing campaign and drew media coverage—lasted nearly three years, and ended with WAVAW victorious. The book Consumer Boycotts: Effecting Change Through the Marketplace and Media notes Warner Communications agreed to stop creating advertising that featured depictions of violence against women, while the company also “agreed to have WAVAW develop and implement an all-day sensitivity training program for Warner advertising executives on violence against women.”

It was their 5th straight Number ONE LP in the States and went all kinds of platinum...the publicity didn't hurt the sales apparently, and might have helped, ironically enough...as these things go...
The next 3 would also go to Number ONE.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-13 07:28 by hopkins.

Date: April 13, 2017 07:13

I like the "vibes" of the original tracks. I can see a double album from these tracks and the many unfinished tracks like an album made by the Stones from a lost island.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2017 07:21

love the album and the production...but's it's no exile on main street.

As opined already if we're going to do anything, let's add 2 or 3 more tracks and make this a full length album instead of an EP.

Date: April 13, 2017 07:35

treaclefingers

As opined already if we're going to do anything, let's add 2 or 3 more tracks and make this a full length album instead of an EP.

I listen to this 10-track version from time to time:
Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Slave
Memory Motel
Worried About You
Hey Negrita
Melody
Fool To Cry
Crazy Mama

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2017 07:37

kowalski
treaclefingers

Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Slave
Memory Motel
Worried About You
Hey Negrita
Melody
Fool To Cry
Crazy Mama

love it...you can't add more tracks to this...it's perfect.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 13, 2017 08:59

kowalski
treaclefingers

Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Slave
Memory Motel
Worried About You
Hey Negrita
Melody
Fool To Cry
Crazy Mama

thumbs up

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 09:27

The sound man, the sound, you think they play in your room! Anyway, a good album for me, they are open to all styles of music and after playing and playing, give to the songs the rolling stones soul.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 13, 2017 10:00

Excellent album, and the best sounding album they've ever recorded. In my opinion.thumbs up

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 13, 2017 10:14

I like the guitar sounds on the album.
There are some great songs, e.g. Memory Motel or Hand Of Fate. Overally speaking, it's one of the Stones' weaker records. It feels like they tried to pin some good ideas but were struggling in finding the right way.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 13, 2017 10:28

bobo
Excellent album, and the best sounding album they've ever recorded. In my opinion.thumbs up

I understand why folks often consider B&B to be their best sounding album
...but it depends on how you look at it.

If you're a Hi Fi salesman, you'll pick it every time.

But for me it's too open, almost too easy to listen to.
Play it once & you'll hear it all.

Think about Exile...and the stuff in that deep murky mix that took you years to really unravel.

That to me is part of the charm of a really great Rolling Stones album.

That said, I like B&B and, yes, the guitars sound fantastic.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 13, 2017 10:28

In fairness, though, they were a bit distracted in auditioning a whole slew of prospective new Mick Taylor replacements during those sessions, as a result of which some excellent material, like Worried About You, got discarded, because comedian Howie Mandell wouldn't have worked, either on a Stones record or as a Stone himself. What, what?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 13, 2017 11:06

It wasn't even a full 1LP set. So why this question?

Date: April 13, 2017 11:31

Monsoon Ragoon

40 minutes long = a full LP.
With 16-17 min. / side you can make a double LP out of it by including some of the many outtakes...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 13, 2017 12:05

One of their best albums. Double wobble? Sure why not. And yes Ronnie was great on his numbers. And Hey Negrita is one of my favourites. Thank you Ronnie.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 13, 2017 12:22

I would buy it twice.............thumbs upthumbs up ..........great dance album.....

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 13, 2017 14:54

Never understood the critique this album gets.
Yes, it's a bland affair and some songs are questionable, but at the same time it's in many ways the most adventureous of all their albums. Sure, I would have liked a double as that could have even more have it a statement: "Here we are doing all sorts of styles, warts and all, but we can't play "Brown Sugar" for the rest of our lives!". It would at least have been a brave failure, had it been a double.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 13, 2017 14:55

It folds open so it's kinda sorta already a double album smoking smiley

Date: April 13, 2017 16:59

kowalski
Monsoon Ragoon

40 minutes long = a full LP.
With 16-17 min. / side you can make a double LP out of it by including some of the many outtakes...

Is it really that long? It is good like it is. But its reputation would be much better if they had included Slave and Worried About You.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2017 17:22

Monsoon Ragoon
But its reputation would be much better if they had included Slave and Worried About You.

Then Tattoo You would be a rather short compilation-album. And not as good as it is.

Date: April 13, 2017 17:24

HMS
Monsoon Ragoon
But its reputation would be much better if they had included Slave and Worried About You.

Then Tattoo You would be a rather short compilation-album. And not as good as it is.

They had easily found two other strong cuts, e.g. some of the Some Girls bonus cd.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 13, 2017 18:03

black and blue sounds good, but has few good songs and is too short an album anyway.

maybe they could have waited a bit to fill it out to make a 12 song album instead.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 13, 2017 18:11

Love Black and Blue.
Was one of the albums I thought of when I proposed re-recording studio albums.

If Black and Blue were released as a double album w original and a 2017 version.. now you're talking cool smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2017 18:22

Perfect as is....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home