Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: If Black And Blue were a double album...
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 15, 2017 11:58

boogaloojef
ouroux58
boogaloojef
What they should have done is gotten rid of songs like Cherry Oh Baby, Melody and Hot Stuff and added Slave and Worried About You for example.

If "Slavef" and "Worried about You" were on "black and blue", the day you would have listen to the Hot Stuff and Cherry oh baby" as outtakes, you would said: why they didn't put both songs on the LP instead of Slavef" and "Worried about You".
Some people always think that outtakes are better than released tracks.confused smiley. They are the musicians and I think there was good reasons choosing these tracks.

So there is the thread on here that Slave might be the best song the Stones released since 1980 but it shouldn't have been included on Black & Blue? That makes no sense.

What does that have to do with it? That there are people thinking or argueing that Slave is maybe the best song since 1980 is nothing more than an opinion and I can tell you that it is not my personal opinion.

It's obvious that you are considering your own opinions as pure facts. But that's not how it works. We all have our own opinions and mine is just as valid as yours. There is no definitive answer. What could be nice when you are answering posts, is to respect that others have a different opinion than you.

Date: April 15, 2017 12:30

IMO, all the rockers on BAB are superior to those on IORR.

The real gem on IORR is If You Really Want To Be My Friend, though, but we have already discussed this to death in the album talks..

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 15, 2017 12:53

DandelionPowderman

The real gem on IORR is If You Really Want To Be My Friend, though, but we have already discussed this to death in the album talks..

I do agree about that gem. But like to add "Fingerprint File".

"Crazy Mama" I find very good. "Hand of Fate" to me is nearer average though.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: April 15, 2017 18:39

Witness
DandelionPowderman

Time Waits For No One is a gem.

Date: April 15, 2017 18:41

DandelionPowderman

I like Hand Of Fate and Crazy Mama but there is too much filler and not enough rockers.

I'm not a fan of the disco/reggae Stones. Some refer to it as Jagger's dance band.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 18:49 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: April 15, 2017 18:58

I love B&B.
It's the first Stones album I bought.Still have that copy.

The only weak track to me is Cherry Oh Baby.
And in reply to a poster above,wasn't Luxury an earlier attempt at reggae than COB ?

Date: April 15, 2017 18:59

boogaloojef
Witness
DandelionPowderman

I appreciate very much about Mick Taylor. But somehow, to me there is some sterility with "Time Waits for Noone".

Date: April 15, 2017 19:05

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman

I like Hand Of Fate and Crazy Mama but there is too much filler and not enough rockers.

I'm not a fan of the disco/reggae Stones. Some refer to it as Jagger's dance band.

I am one to love that the Rolling Stones is much more than a rock'n'roll band. In there is where their richness lies.

Date: April 15, 2017 20:09

Brown Moses
I love B&B.
It's the first Stones album I bought.Still have that copy.

The only weak track to me is Cherry Oh Baby.
And in reply to a poster above,wasn't Luxury an earlier attempt at reggae than COB ?

Yes it was. It it also one of the tracks that I dislike on It's Only Rock 'N' Roll.

I prefer the blues and rock Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 20:10 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 15, 2017 20:32

boogaloojef
Witness
DandelionPowderman

The "gem" aspect is the musicianship, the Mick Taylor and Nicky Hopkins blend on the outro -- as a song, lyrically and melodically, it's average and even subpar. I've always wondered how it would have sounded in David Bowie's hands -- his vocal style might have lent some emphasis of meaning to the lyrics, made them sound more haunting even.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2017 01:53

Blueranger
Never understood the critique this album gets.
Yes, it's a bland affair and some songs are questionable, but at the same time it's in many ways the most adventureous of all their albums. Sure, I would have liked a double as that could have even more have it a statement: "Here we are doing all sorts of styles, warts and all, but we can't play "Brown Sugar" for the rest of our lives!". It would at least have been a brave failure, had it been a double.

ahhh...bland and questionable songs, yet adventurous. You took the words out of my mouth.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 16, 2017 14:50

boogaloojef

Thank goodness that The Stones are MUCH more than blues and rock!
It's one of the very reasons why I rate them way above bands such as The Faces or Aerosmith. The Stones were not afraid of adding textures to their approach. Otherwise you might as well be listening to AC/DC.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2017 15:43

RipThisBone

SHAME SHAME SHAME (instrumental from Rotterdam session).

It's not an original it's a cover of this song :
[www.youtube.com]

From the YT guy who shared it : "This was an instant hit! Who didn't like this song right off? Even Mick Jagger was all over this one, word had it he was considering adding to the concert repertoire. While that never happened, he did write a song with Keith Richards called "Hot Stuff" that used this song as inspiration. "

Shall we deduce that Jagger's obsession with disco start in 74-75 not in 77-78? grinning smiley

Or were the Stones playing this one to try to "get" the chord progression of this addictive hit? With the idea of duplicating these "magic" chords for one of their own songs...?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-16 15:50 by dcba.

Date: April 16, 2017 16:42

Blueranger
boogaloojef

It's one of the very reasons why I rate them way above bands such as The Faces or Aerosmith. The Stones were not afraid of adding textures to their approach. Otherwise you might as well be listening to AC/DC.

But when you compare something like Luxury to Bob Marley or Hot Stuff to Meters, it just makes the Stones look inept.

Date: April 16, 2017 16:44

Blueranger
boogaloojef

But when you compare something like Luxury to Bob Marley or Hot Stuff to the Meters or James Brown, it just makes the Stones look inept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-16 17:23 by boogaloojef.

Date: April 16, 2017 17:41

boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

But when you compare something like Luxury to Bob Marley or Hot Stuff to the Meters or James Brown, it just makes the Stones look inept.

I was not going to post, but it still happened.

This short response then:

It depends. I happen to like "Hot Stuff". But not "Melody".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-16 17:47 by Witness.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 17, 2017 00:57

treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers
love the album and the production...but's it's no exile on main street.

As opined already if we're going to do anything, let's add 2 or 3 more tracks and make this a full length album instead of an EP.

I listen to this 10-track version from time to time:
Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Slave
Memory Motel
Worried About You
Hey Negrita
Melody
Fool To Cry
Crazy Mama

love it...you can't add more tracks to this...it's perfect.

Start Me Up sounds more like the BAB sessions recording than a SG sessions recording. So add SMU.

Date: April 17, 2017 00:59

lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash
Perfect as is....

the stones have never made a bad album

WRONG.

Stones Fans Dirty Work Reviews - keno.org
www.keno.org/rolling_stones/sfrdw.html
Some of the worst songs ever recorded by the Rolling Stones are found on here, ... Often considered the "worst Stones album ever," Dirty Work is a jumbled mess of ... Before this came out, Keith was saying this would be their hardest album ...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 17, 2017 02:08

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers

As opined already if we're going to do anything, let's add 2 or 3 more tracks and make this a full length album instead of an EP.

Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Slave
Memory Motel
Worried About You
Hey Negrita
Melody
Fool To Cry
Crazy Mama

Start Me Up sounds more like the BAB sessions recording than a SG sessions recording. So add SMU.

But... where does it fit? With my proposed track list, you have 10 songs and 25 minutes for each side (should it be a single vinyl release). If you add SMU things start to get out of balance...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 17, 2017 12:46

GasLightStreet
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash
Perfect as is....

WRONG.

Some of the worst songs ever recorded by the Rolling Stones are found on here, ... Often considered the "worst Stones album ever," Dirty Work is a jumbled mess of ... Before this came out, Keith was saying this would be their hardest album ...

Pure nonsense. At least 6-7 songs on Dirty Work are very good, the rest is ok at least. DW has better rockers than SG! Some of the Stones´ best guitar playing can be found on DW! Harlem Shuffle maybe is the greatest cover-version they´ve ever done! One Hit To The Body is excellent! Dirty Work and Had It With You are nuggets of Exile-quality! Sleep Tonight sure isn´t Keith´s worst ballad! Too Rude is one of their best reggae-attempts! Winning Ugly kicks ass!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 17, 2017 12:49

Guys... this thread is about Black and Blue, the 1976 album, not DW, the 1986 album...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 17, 2017 12:55

kowalski
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers

Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Cherry Oh Baby
Slave
Memory Motel
Worried About You
Hey Negrita
Melody
Fool To Cry
Crazy Mama

But... where does it fit? With my proposed track list, you have 10 songs and 25 minutes for each side (should it be a single vinyl release). If you add SMU things start to get out of balance...

You could knock out Cherry oh baby.........

Hot Stuff
Melody
Fool To Cry
Slave
Crazy Mama

Start Me Up
Hey Negrita
Worried About You
Hand of Fate
Memory Motel

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 19:06 by EddieByword.

Date: April 17, 2017 13:54

How about...

Never Stop
Hand Of Fate
Slave
Worried About You
Hey Negrita

Hot Stuff
Melody
Crazy Mama
Fool To Cry
Memory Motel

Date: April 17, 2017 15:18

Witness
boogaloojef
Witness
DandelionPowderman

I appreciate very much about Mick Taylor. But somehow, to me there is some sterility with "Time Waits for Noone".

The Stones have never done a song called "Time Waits For Noone". Why does that guy keep getting mentioned here?

Date: April 17, 2017 15:20

boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

But when you compare something like Luxury to Bob Marley or Hot Stuff to Meters, it just makes the Stones look inept.

That's more than accurate.

Date: April 17, 2017 15:24

HMS
GasLightStreet
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash
Perfect as is....

WRONG.

Pure nonsense. At least 6-7 songs on Dirty Work are very good, the rest is ok at least. DW has better rockers than SG! Some of the Stones´ best guitar playing can be found on DW! Harlem Shuffle maybe is the greatest cover-version they´ve ever done! One Hit To The Body is excellent! Dirty Work and Had It With You are nuggets of Exile-quality! Sleep Tonight sure isn´t Keith´s worst ballad! Too Rude is one of their best reggae-attempts! Winning Ugly kicks ass!

HMS' sinking ship of garbage somehow surfaces again, oiling the waters with the usual smell of ignorance, ineptitude and wrong.

Crazy Mama alone blows that 1986 excuse of a clogger away. Hell, the SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES B-side edit of Crazy Mama blows that 1986 toilet stopper away.

Date: April 17, 2017 16:29

GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

Why compare then, as there is no musical reason for comparison?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 17, 2017 18:27

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

Why would anyone be comparing Luxury with Bob Marley or Hot Stuff to Meters? One has nothing to do w/ the other...

Let's start random comparisons for no reason ... Crazy Mama vs. ... how about Peter Frampton?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 17, 2017 19:49

GasLightStreet
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash
Perfect as is....

WRONG.

gaslight,HMS has been living in your head for so long now that you need to start charging him rent.
we know you don't like dirty work,you tell us almost every day.all he has to do is say "the best album since exile" "the perfect album, dirty work" and you're off to the races.
it's not the ebola virus,it's just an album that wasn't as good as the other rolling stones albums.relax,let it go.

"this album cooks just below the surface,it's built for the road"-keith richards on dirty work in 1986.

Date: April 17, 2017 20:01

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Blueranger
boogaloojef

If you want hear what quality reggae sounds like then listen to Bob Marley not the Stones. The whole reggae/disco stuff smacks of the Stones trying to remain relevant and following current trends. Later the same thing happened with the drum loops and samples on Bridges To Babylon. Earlier the trend happened on Their Satanic Majesties Request when they tried to adopt the psychedelia of the day but it really only worked on a couple of tracks.

Their earlier blues/r&b influenced material sounded more genuine and much of it was ahead of the trend in the U.S. at least as blues had fallen out of favor here. They were actually paying tribute to their own heroes which made it seem more sincere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 20:04 by boogaloojef.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home