Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: "Tattoo You" What Does It Mean?
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 23, 2017 22:12

Olly
IanBillen
chatoyancy
A woman whose nickname was sort of "Tattoo" inspired a song or two. When she thanked Mick for singing a song on "Emotional Rescue" he added the "You" to tell her "Thank you too". If you look hard enough you can see her real name in the tattoos on both sides of the cover.

What was her name and... if you can ..please explain where on the cover of Micks face is her name?

It's always interesting to analyse meanings behind album titles and covers. I think it's best to look at the clues given both within the album and also clues contributed by aspects of other albums.

If we are looking at couples or 'twos' ('Tattwo You'; the two faces, one each on the front and back of the album cover), we could look at the first two letters of each song title on the album. If we re-arrange these twenty two letters, we can make the phrase 'wealthiness won't hobo all', meaning that it has the potential to make 'hobos' of some. Perhaps this is a message to highlight the dangers of wealth and fame, directed at the 'you' reading the album title, highlighting that it has the potential to ruin people. The fact that the faces on the album cover are disguised under tattoos could suggest trying to hide from or escape wealth and fame.

We can broaden our search and look at the first two letters of the title of each studio album released by the band in the 1980s. If we re-arrange these ten letters, we have the clue 'minutest ad'. This suggests there may be an advert for something (e.g. a name) hidden amongst the detail of the Tattoo You album cover, as chatoyancy suggests, or it could lead us in another direction to look for a small sign for something in another album cover.

As you can see, I don't have an absolute answer for what the album title means, but think it's interesting to look for meaning. Maybe someone can make something of the above. Keep looking for that minute name, it may just be the clue you're looking for.

Vulva?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 24, 2017 05:17

Not sure how many IORRians will get that SEINFELD reference, MKjan.

If Chatoyancy will indulge me in my own puzzle-solving, I've stayed focused on her interesting "Waiting on a Friend" story and bits of what she has said in this thread. Here's my 2+2=5 bit. The young woman Keith was protective of had a boyfriend who was a younger guitarist from another hit-making band who is in the Stones' circle. Said boyfriend did not always treat the young woman well and Keith was protective of her. From this thread, if we combine her stories, Mick pursued the same young woman unsuccessfully. The woman stayed in their circle as late as A BIGGER BANG and a bit beyond.

Now here's where I get creative. "Chatoyancy" means cat's eye. Cat's eye refers to the optical reflectance sometimes exhibited in gemstones. Hidden in plain sight like her mysterious script on two album covers. In woodworking, chatoyance is the wet look sometimes evident in hardwood. When Wood is hard it gets wet. Who made Wood hard and wet most during the period of the late 1970s and early 1980s and still was part of their circle as late as A BIGGER BANG and a bit beyond? Who was Keith always protective of over those same years? Who did Mick regularly hit on despite her constant rebuffs (a story she told Robin Leach on LIFESTYLES OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS while her husband sat awkwardly looking on)? There's only one person I can think of. Josephine. Am I right? Probably not, but the riddle was fun nonetheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 05:19 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 24, 2017 05:22

Dolores ?

Date: March 24, 2017 05:51

The name Chatoyancy is alluding to is Lin. She believes the songs with the name are "Start Me Up" and "Heaven."

She also interviewed Keith and inspired "999" in the process.

Interesting stuff, but I like my Jo Wood theory better. I felt like Gollum trading riddles with Bilbo.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 24, 2017 07:12

I like you Rocky Dijon, but I don't like your Jo theory.
Keith sticking up for the ladies, yes.
But Chatoyancy referred in the 'Crosseyed Heart' thread
Keith had a non-physical or non-consumated love affair - with written word.
Now, I actually hate to have repeated that, but,
I hate Jagger pursued Ronnie's wife, his close friend and bandmate,
and while the Wood's were a party couple in the day,
to imply Ron treated her badly enough to need protection from another man,
not cool to Ron Wood without receipts (proof)

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 24, 2017 07:46

ha ha,this thread is a good example of what happens when you get too many beatleheads on a stones site,no offense but the stones are a little more down to earth than that.

"tattoo you" is a boxing expression,as in if a guys getting his ass kicked in the ring ,his eyes are blackened, a cut nose,bloody lip etc the annoumcers will say -"he's getting tattoo'd pretty good out there."

tattoo you is basically -smack you in the face

Date: March 24, 2017 07:46

It's okay, Gollum lost too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2017 07:53

Rocky Dijon

to be a Seinfeld reference, I believe you'd be referring to "Mulva" not "Vulva". Vulva is a female body part. Mulva is a 'name' that rhymes with a female body part.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 24, 2017 07:56

sorry,i was gonna let it continue for awhile before i told anybody but i figured it was gonna end up with a picture of a barefoot keith and speculation that he hadn't really survived the coconut tree incident.

Date: March 24, 2017 08:27

No, Lem. It's more like how your friend with the mustard and ham sandwich passed out on quaaludes in a bathroom stall with Billy Preston and then Mick wrote "Melody" because Mel spelt backwards is Lem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 08:28 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 24, 2017 08:29

Well, let's call a spade a spade, there's someone throwing shade, for awhile now.
So what gives w/ cat eye?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 24, 2017 09:13

lem motlow
ha ha,this thread is a good example of what happens when you get too many beatleheads on a stones site.

"tattoo you" is a boxing expression
Typical -- even when there's no mention of "Beatles" in a thread, leave it to some angry Stones fan with a Beatle-y chip on his shoulder to take it off-topic.

It's too bad Muhammad Ali isn't still around to give someone a black (and blue) eye.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 24, 2017 09:22

Seriously, though, about this "chat-annoyancy" character. I wasted the better part of an hour, enlarging images of the Tattoo You cover front and back and examining it with a big fat magnifying glass (and yes, as well, Still Life). When I came up with this name it was "No it wasn't __" and with another "No, it was after that album...". I only did it because "chat annoyancy" purports her-/himself to be an insider who claims to know the person in question.

But, frankly, the Tattoo You images are like a Rorschach Test -- you can see what you want to see and expect to see what isn't really there.

Does anyone really believe that this "chat annoyancy" character would actually confirm the name of someone there, even if it could actually be seen? I mean, if it were there, don't you think that others would have pointed it out, after 36 years? If there were something, someone's name to be seen, surely others would have seen it and have been in agreement, well before these 36 years have passed.

Chat-annoyancy indeed!

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: March 24, 2017 10:11

It's not Josephine. Someone in this thread guessed the name correctly so quickly that I assume he either knows the Stones or is very good at visual puzzles. As for me, I chose the name Chatoyancy for myself just because I like tiger's eye and labradorite. Wasn't really thinking of being a chat toy.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 24, 2017 10:42

This is fun and I fell for it because there is actually something that looks like a name there.

Date: March 24, 2017 10:45

It was great fun just the same, chatoyancy smiling smiley

Date: March 24, 2017 10:55

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon

to be a Seinfeld reference, I believe you'd be referring to "Mulva" not "Vulva". Vulva is a female body part. Mulva is a 'name' that rhymes with a female body part.

Yup.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 24, 2017 11:39

lem motlow
ha ha,this thread is a good example of what happens when you get too many beatleheads on a stones site,no offense but the stones are a little more down to earth than that.

"tattoo you" is a boxing expression,as in if a guys getting his ass kicked in the ring ,his eyes are blackened, a cut nose,bloody lip etc the annoumcers will say -"he's getting tattoo'd pretty good out there."

tattoo you is basically -smack you in the face

THIS. Their music is going to leave it's mark on you...etc...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 24, 2017 13:02

such a fun / funny thread!

Thanks Chatoyancy, you're the iorr Dan Brown

Or maybe Masquerade?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 13:03 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 24, 2017 14:32

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 24, 2017 19:15

I got with the 'smack you in the face' interpretation.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 24, 2017 22:28

Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon

Yup.

Yes,I had Jerry's answer in mind. Mulva would have been better treaclefingers.
Also schillid's Doloros is great....her real name....I think.

Date: March 25, 2017 01:59

So it's The Rolling Stones tattoo you.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 25, 2017 02:45

Could be........

Tat to you - as in tat = shoddy = old english word meaning leftovers - shoddy clothes were inferior clothes made from the leftovers on the factory floor - although shoddy was usually used for stuffing mattresses............

As we know, Tattoo you was made from the leftovers of earlier recording sessions - although I wouldn't reckon it is inferior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-25 02:48 by EddieByword.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 25, 2017 05:39

lem motlow
sorry,i was gonna let it continue for awhile before i told anybody but i figured it was gonna end up with a picture of a barefoot keith and speculation that he hadn't really survived the coconut tree incident.

You do understand it was a banana palm, right?

Date: March 25, 2017 05:41

EddieByword
As we know, Tattoo you was made from the leftovers of earlier recording sessions - although I wouldn't reckon it is inferior

Correct - 100% leftovers.

However, for you to even imply it could be inferior because of that aspect...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 25, 2017 13:41

GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Could be........

Tat to you - as in tat = shoddy = old english word meaning leftovers - shoddy clothes were inferior clothes made from the leftovers on the factory floor - although shoddy was usually used for stuffing mattresses............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-25 19:54 by EddieByword.

Date: March 26, 2017 16:22

EddieByword
GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Could be........

Yes, yes, I saw that - it's an agreement with you... as in, HELL NO!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 26, 2017 16:34

Really enjoyable thread.

Is there an appetite for a seperate discussion of each album title and cover, e.g. 'Album cover talk'?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 26, 2017 16:59

Olly
Really enjoyable thread.

Is there an appetite for a seperate discussion of each album title and cover, e.g. 'Album cover talk'?

Or a thread "Which is the worst album cover?" I think Jump Back is hard to beat...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home