Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: "Tattoo You" What Does It Mean?
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 21, 2017 16:14

IanBillen
chatoyancy
A woman whose nickname was sort of "Tattoo" inspired a song or two. When she thanked Mick for singing a song on "Emotional Rescue" he added the "You" to tell her "Thank you too". If you look hard enough you can see her real name in the tattoos on both sides of the cover.

What was her name and... if you can ..please explain where on the cover of Micks face is her name?

It's always interesting to analyse meanings behind album titles and covers. I think it's best to look at the clues given both within the album and also clues contributed by aspects of other albums.

If we are looking at couples or 'twos' ('Tattwo You'; the two faces, one each on the front and back of the album cover), we could look at the first two letters of each song title on the album. If we re-arrange these twenty two letters, we can make the phrase 'wealthiness won't hobo all', meaning that it has the potential to make 'hobos' of some. Perhaps this is a message to highlight the dangers of wealth and fame, directed at the 'you' reading the album title, highlighting that it has the potential to ruin people. The fact that the faces on the album cover are disguised under tattoos could suggest trying to hide from or escape wealth and fame.

We can broaden our search and look at the first two letters of the title of each studio album released by the band in the 1980s. If we re-arrange these ten letters, we have the clue 'minutest ad'. This suggests there may be an advert for something (e.g. a name) hidden amongst the detail of the Tattoo You album cover, as chatoyancy suggests, or it could lead us in another direction to look for a small sign for something in another album cover.

As you can see, I don't have an absolute answer for what the album title means, but think it's interesting to look for meaning. Maybe someone can make something of the above. Keep looking for that minute name, it may just be the clue you're looking for.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 21, 2017 17:02

Olly
IanBillen
chatoyancy
A woman whose nickname was sort of "Tattoo" inspired a song or two. When she thanked Mick for singing a song on "Emotional Rescue" he added the "You" to tell her "Thank you too". If you look hard enough you can see her real name in the tattoos on both sides of the cover.

What was her name and... if you can ..please explain where on the cover of Micks face is her name?

It's always interesting to analyse meanings behind album titles and covers. I think it's best to look at the clues given both within the album and also clues contributed by aspects of other albums.

If we are looking at couples or 'twos' ('Tattwo You'; the two faces, one each on the front and back of the album cover), we could look at the first two letters of each song title on the album. If we re-arrange these twenty two letters, we can make the phrase 'wealthiness won't hobo all', meaning that it has the potential to make 'hobos' of some. Perhaps this is a message to highlight the dangers of wealth and fame, directed at the 'you' reading the album title, highlighting that it has the potential to ruin people. The fact that the faces on the album cover are disguised under tattoos could suggest trying to hide from or escape wealth and fame.

We can broaden our search and look at the first two letters of the title of each studio album released by the band in the 1980s. If we re-arrange these ten letters, we have the clue 'minutest ad'. This suggests there may be an advert for something (e.g. a name) hidden amongst the detail of the Tattoo You album cover, as chatoyancy suggests, or it could lead us in another direction to look for a small sign for something in another album cover.

As you can see, I don't have a job.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 21, 2017 17:32

schillid
NINA ?

lol!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 21, 2017 19:12

Olly
IanBillen
chatoyancy

As you can see, I don't have an absolute answer for what the album title means, but think it's interesting to look for meaning. Maybe someone can make something of the above. Keep looking for that minute name, it may just be the clue you're looking for.

Howdy .. I think your insight or theories are interesting here .. It also shows plenty of intellect. I appreciate your response.

Still I think the songs and their titles were simply picked because they worked. I don't believe The Stones ever created song titles disguising the fact that you could rearrange some or all of their letters to create a phrase or saying. The Stones aren't that type of band ..

The songs are the song titles ..you know.. just because that's what they called them. Now as far as the Albums Title .. hmmmmmm I wish someone would ask one of them lol. Then again .. I think not knowing where Tattoo you came from lends to it's mystique. Tattoo You has garnered mystique over the years ..

Thanks for the thoughts though .. interesting.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 19:14 by IanBillen.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 22, 2017 02:16

I'm simple minded I guess, I chalk up
'Tattoo' w/ handsome Keith face lined in Zebra stripes/ tattoo inked
as once again the Stones call it/ are the first/ ahead of the game/ invented cool
and hence 35 years later literally everybody and their grandma's
have a tattoo. Tattoo palours now so cliche drinking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 22, 2017 02:43

35love
as once again the Stones call it/ are the first/ ahead of the game/ invented cool

Although I don't think any of the Stones have tattoos themselves.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 22, 2017 02:43

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 04:10 by HankM.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: March 22, 2017 02:51

The funny thing is that the girl didn't notice her name was there until her concerned mother called her up and said "Do you realize that your name is written near their ears?" Her name can be heard in some songs. It's on the cover of Still Life too, in pink and red. It says "I love ____"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 22, 2017 03:31

Would this be the same girl "Waiting on a Friend" was written about? The one with the boyfriend who was a guitarist in another band?

Date: March 22, 2017 04:15

It was in the NME gossip page back then. It's why they painted the St. Mark's Bar pink for the video. She kept it up through Rough Justice and beyond. I think she did it by playing hard to get. Are you the Rocky in the Beatles' song Rocky Raccoon?

Date: March 22, 2017 04:21

wonderboy
35love

Although I don't think any of the Stones have tattoos themselves.

Lemme check...
I don't have any either, FWIW.
Hilarious thread.

Date: March 22, 2017 04:28

And please just give us the name of the gal who, what?! Jagger chased,
and tattoo on album? Gawd.
Who cares who he banged in 1981?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 04:29 by 35love.

Date: March 22, 2017 04:29

Have there been any Stones fanatics who got Tattoo You tattoos on their face? That would be fun for a concert, temporary tattoos and a Tattoo You shirt. Might get you backstage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 04:31 by chatoyancy.

Date: March 22, 2017 04:39

I am relieved Angelina Jolie is way too young (even for Mick- ouch, sorry MJ)
to fit this profile.

Date: March 22, 2017 04:47

OK, I see it now. The one on the front: "Tammy"

Can't find the one on the back, and maybe the full name shouldn't be posted here anyway.

Date: March 22, 2017 04:53

No, it's not Tammy.

Date: March 22, 2017 05:24

This thread may go on for months...

Date: March 22, 2017 05:57

One last guess -- for now anyway...

Given that on the covers the names are said to be near the ears, on the front, given that one of the clues mentioned above says the name has been mentioned in Stones songs, the only one I can think of offhand is the one mentioned in Memory Motel, and the lettering running at a slight angle left to right along the jawline to the ear would suggest the name to be... Hannah.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2017 06:14

I believe this is all a hoax - hidden meaning and names written on the faces of Tattoo You and Still life?
Surely you must be joking!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 22, 2017 10:37

+1 and and I suppose this settles it:

chatoyancy
It was in the NME gossip page back then. It's why they painted the St. Mark's Bar pink for the video. She kept it up through Rough Justice and beyond. I think she did it by playing hard to get. Are you the Rocky/b] in the Beatles' song Rocky Raccoon?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 22, 2017 10:53

The title makes perhaps more sense if you read it like it's written on the cover: "Rolling Stones Tattoo You" meaning you are being tattooed by The Rolling Stones.

Date: March 23, 2017 06:53

No. She met them years after they recorded Memory Motel. Hannah was Carly Simon. The Stones put lots of secret messages in their songs and artwork. I think it's what keeps them going. If someone keeps changing her phone number the only way they can reach her is in song. I think she disappears for that purpose, so they will write songs to her. She's elusive. Always slipping away. But she won't write a book and spill secrets like Carly did. She prefers to dictate the random post now and then on iorr.org. Good company here.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2017 07:04

Hairball
Could have easily been titled 'Last Hurrah'.

A great album - they don't make 'em like they used to! thumbs up

the last absolute bulletproof classic...Undercover was an excellent album but just didn't quite get there and then the whole thing unraveled.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 23, 2017 07:12

Date: March 23, 2017 14:24

chatoyancy
No. She met them years after they recorded Memory Motel. Hannah was Carly Simon. The Stones put lots of secret messages in their songs and artwork. I think it's what keeps them going. If someone keeps changing her phone number the only way they can reach her is in song. I think she disappears for that purpose, so they will write songs to her. She's elusive. Always slipping away. But she won't write a book and spill secrets like Carly did. She prefers to dictate the random post now and then on iorr.org. Good company here.

Well, you got me. I hope you aren't pulling my leg, but next week after I move and get my stuff out of storage, I'm going to look at my bloody TY album!
The only vinyl I currently own, a gift while dating my H after I told him side 2 was my mana in this lifetime (he then gifted it to me signed. See? Had to marry him. I gotta ring, too)
So if you care to help a poor mother out, you'll just spill it now. Or confess to bs. Who does Mick really love? And Keith? Haven't you been saying he's got a pen pal? I think maybe this keeps you going, too?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 23, 2017 14:56

schillid

If I had seen that photo of Mick when I made the GIF, I would've done a cross-dissolve ...

Come on, schillid, feel free to do so!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 23, 2017 14:59

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 23, 2017 15:00

Read the "Waiting on a Friend" thread and you'll see more of the same "All About You." I'm writing this from a hotel room without a Gideon's Bible, incidentally.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:15

Olly...
Your post is hilarious man! Thanks for the laughs.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:22

If I had seen that photo ...
TooTough
Come on, schillid ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 18:35 by schillid.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home