Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
"Tattoo You" What Does It Mean?
Posted by: StonedALIVE ()
Date: March 20, 2017 23:10

Does anybody know the significance, meaning or story behind this title?

Re: "Tattoo You" What Does It Mean?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2017 23:15

from wiki, sometimes accurate...

"The album title was originally planned to be simply Tattoo. Jagger claims to this day that even he has no clue how the "You" became attached to the title. The title caused friction between Jagger and Richards, with Richards suspecting that Jagger had changed the title without seeking his input. The album cover for Tattoo You had concept origination, art direction and design by Peter Corriston and illustration by Christian Piper. The album cover won the Grammy award in 1982 in the Best Album Package category. It was the first Grammy award for the Rolling Stones."

I don't know any of the specifics but had read this and remembered it.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 20, 2017 23:28

hopkins

"The album title was originally planned to be simply Tattoo. Jagger claims to this day that even he has no clue how the "You" became attached to the title. The title caused friction between Jagger and Richards, with Richards suspecting that Jagger had changed the title without seeking his input. The album cover for Tattoo You had concept origination, art direction and design by Peter Corriston and illustration by Christian Piper. The album cover won the Grammy award in 1982 in the Best Album Package category. It was the first Grammy award for the Rolling Stones."

The real working tite was "Fall Fire" I read somewhere.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 21, 2017 00:25

Could have easily been titled 'Last Hurrah'.

A great album - they don't make 'em like they used to! thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 21, 2017 00:33

Or Mick presents his last Stones Album of unknown oldies but goldies and look at how young he probably is under all that ink.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2017 00:51

Young children who haven't learnt to speak proper like often say 'tattoo' instead of 'thankyou'.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 21, 2017 02:29

Fallfire was not a working title for the album. It was the name the Stones used to book studio time in the early 1980s. It was a play on Firefall, a fellow Atlantic Records act. Personally, I preferred The Running Noses during the DIRTY WORK sessions. More honest.

Date: March 21, 2017 03:17

It means I learned that Sweet Virginia was already mostly in the can before they recorded exoms. Mick's talked pretty honestly about where these tracks came and from what period and he mentioned that even SV was something done b4 eoms but fit nicely so it was used, or finished and used....
i guess the tattoo cover; i don't know about the 'you' maybe one of the oldham things where charlie was told to draw someting between the buttons meaning someting entirely differently from evenutally naming the album that...maybe it was tattoo like wiki said and someone got 'cute' and put on the 'you' i mean it's a pretty cool album title...like goats head soup. it doesn't really have a correlating song, and the album doesnm't really have a correlating theme w the cover art but it's pretty edgy and eye catching and works out of a simpls symbol; marketing prowess no little factor in these things; i don't know wtf it means haha...

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: March 21, 2017 03:29

A woman whose nickname was sort of "Tattoo" inspired a song or two. When she thanked Mick for singing a song on "Emotional Rescue" he added the "You" to tell her "Thank you too". If you look hard enough you can see her real name in the tattoos on both sides of the cover.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 21, 2017 03:39

Doesn't anybody wanna toss in 'what the 'ell...it rhymed'

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 21, 2017 04:11

I love the UNDERCOVER album cover but TATTOO YOU was their last excellent album cover - and their last excellent album.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 21, 2017 05:07

Bill German's BEGGARS BANQUET fanzine mentioned in the first issue of 1981 that the next album would probably have a TATTOO theme and would be called the same. Then the summer issue came along and we had the new title. I've heard that Keith was miffed it went from TATTOO to TATTOO YOU before, but for the life of me, I can't recall where.

Chatoyancy, what the heck is the name written in the tattoos? I'm not doubting you, I just can't spot it. I'm also starting to suspect you're Peter Corriston.

Date: March 21, 2017 05:11

hmmm. Bill's on social media pretty regularly; maybe he has more info....

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 21, 2017 06:42

chatoyancy
A woman whose nickname was sort of "Tattoo" inspired a song or two. When she thanked Mick for singing a song on "Emotional Rescue" he added the "You" to tell her "Thank you too". If you look hard enough you can see her real name in the tattoos on both sides of the cover.

What was her name and... if you can ..please explain where on the cover of Micks face is her name?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 06:42 by IanBillen.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: March 21, 2017 06:59

I know her and she wouldn't want her name to be known. It's a secret.

Date: March 21, 2017 12:18

chatoyancy

OK IF this is true i can maybe spot a name. Beneath his ear?

Date: March 21, 2017 12:22

He had a summer romance with some girl named timmy /Lynn/ some name ending with an L?

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 21, 2017 12:30

It's a secret

Date: March 21, 2017 12:55

Date: March 21, 2017 13:15

spot a name. Beneath his ear?

I dont see it, but I might be blind... is it a name or a plane?... zee plane!!

Date: March 21, 2017 13:25

Linn? Timm? Something like that, I believe.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 21, 2017 13:37

Timmy ? Had never heard that story before, certainly more credible than the "this is in fact David Bowie" story that raged on RocksOff a few years ago ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 21, 2017 13:40

Or Tim W.?

Date: March 21, 2017 14:05

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 21, 2017 14:07

hopkins

In German Wikipedia they say that Start Me Up was first recorded during the Sticky Fingers session, believe it or not. There's a lot of nonsense on Wikipedia.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 21, 2017 15:02

NINA ?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 21, 2017 15:17

hopkins

"The album cover for Tattoo You had concept origination, art direction and design by Peter Corriston and illustration by Christian Piper."

The basic photos of Mick/Keith were shot by Hubert Kretzschmar, who wasn´t
mentioned on TY.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

"Why weren’t you credited on the album [Some Girls]?

This is something that I file under “lessons learned” and can
only explain with my relative youth and inexperience at the
time: for not being insistent enough, and for assuming that
there is such a thing as fair play in business when working
with professionals. My work on Emotional Rescue and my
contribution as the photographer of the cover of Tattoo You
in 1983 [sic!] has also not been credited in print.

I did receive credit on Undercover, for which I did all the art."

Date: March 21, 2017 15:34

^dang sad smiley

Come on mate, trust us, we will take care of you, or course we will
I am sure you will, but lets go ahead an put it in writing now, just case, you know.

I learned long ago that anyone who will not put in writing what they just said is... untrustworthy

Talk IS cheap.

I love Keef and Mick but they are kind of famous for take take take take take from anyone who is willing to give...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 21, 2017 15:41

Does anyone have the original photo of Keith?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 21, 2017 15:54

If I had seen that photo of Mick when I made the GIF, I would've done a cross-dissolve ...

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home