Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Live Stones or Studio Stones?
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 9, 2017 09:08

and that is why surf and turf is a thing

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 9, 2017 09:55

Hairball
Great to see them live, but studio all the way.
All of their studio recordings are superior to any live versions IMO.
Midnight Rambler might be the only exception, but I love the studio version as well.

...Midnight Rambler might be the only exception...

What about songs like Dancing with Mr D, Angie [1973] (different, great live version), You can't always get what you want (same), Love in vain, etc. etc.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 9, 2017 10:50

Well monday morning before work it's studio, or doing the dishes tuesday evening (nothing beats cleaning those glasses with Down In The Hole in the background)...

But when it's time to head down for a 9 hour bender down the local it's a live DVD (Totally Stripped last couple of weeks), guitar in hand and a double whiskey in the other strumming the night away....

smileys with beer

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 9, 2017 11:10

wonderboy
Which as brought you more enjoyment over the years?
For me it is definitely their recorded albums, as I don't listen to the live albums very much and didn't get to see them live in their prime.
Probably they are best known to the public as the touring, world's great rock and roll band with Jagger the brilliant front man, but I think they did their best work in the studio and it's a shame more of their catalog doesn't get played on classic rock radio, which pretty much just plays Start Me Up and a few others.

As a whole

1) Seeing the Stones live. Prime or not, bad night or not, each and every time I've seen them since 1990 was magic.

2) Studio albums and studio bootlegs.

3) Live recordings - official or not - i.e. the full unedited concert (provided recording is good. For some reason, I prefer a good recording of a not so good show, rather than a bad recording of a great show)

4) Official "old style" Live albums - i.e. the edited overdubbed Ya Ya, Love You Live etc.

5) Concert films

6) Video

7) Studio songs of the bonus exile / somegirls with new overdubs on old material, with the exception of Plundered my Soul

C

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2017 11:17

ROCKMAN

Date: March 9, 2017 11:18

Rockman

Live in the studio? winking smiley

Date: March 9, 2017 11:21

Yep yep Dandeeeeee.... live in thee studio .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 9, 2017 11:45

It's always been the studio tracks for except lately I have been listening to a lot of the 1969-1981 live stuff. I go back and forth but if I had to choose I'd say studio except Midnight Rambler always better live

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 9, 2017 11:52

Studio. No doubt.
If I would have been born earlier and I would have been around during their 1962-1963 (before the screaming started) and their 1969-1974 concerts I might have said differently.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 9, 2017 11:53

RipThisBone
wonderboy
'Both' is not acceptable! The question was Studio OR Live.
If you are offered Ginger or Mary Ann, you have to pick one, or you might not get either.
winking smiley

Or since this is a Stones forum, maybe Anita or Marianne would be a better way to phrase it.

I prefer The Blond One..... swedish... or ... the model...

What's her name? She was nice.

Agnetha.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 9, 2017 11:59

Studio.

Being from the 2nd generation, so to speak, they tend to not play live most of their songs from "my era" but rather the songs from my mother's "era".
So the choice is fairly obvious: studio. Also, their solo material from the late 80s onwards is pretty d*mn good, and naturally, they don't play any of that either. So it's got to be studio Stones. And studio solo Stones.

Date: March 9, 2017 12:16

ROCKMAN

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: March 9, 2017 16:32

wonderboy
If you are offered Ginger or Mary Ann, you have to pick one, or you might not get either.
winking smiley

Or since this is a Stones forum, maybe Anita or Marianne would be a better way to phrase it.

Well...Mary Ann is a much easier choice...Ginger just isn't my style, to much maintenance....among other things. As far as The Stones go, I have gotten much more from live Stones than the Studio Stones in my life..and I'm talking live, not on record..and I am a faithful soul.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 10, 2017 03:17

Charlie once claimed that it was in concert the Stones really showed their powers. If that's the case, I'm dissapointed. Not that the band isn't a great live act -they were once among those who were the absolute best in that department -but it's their classic records that will stand the test of time. In concert, no matter how great they were, their technical musicianship showed it's limits from time to time. On record it's pure perfection. And the fact that only a small handful of their live records has been succesful in transferring the magic from the concerts, tells me that the band live is a flick-of-the-moment-experience that shouldn't be 'saved' apart from your memory. Therefore: Studio, because it's the Stones-thing you can keep returning to.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 10, 2017 04:26

studio. tho many many great live cuts sustain me. Just about all of Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones is about as ace as ace gets imho.
that being said, even if a great live version really rocks my world, I often go to the studio track to really get the dynamic thrust of the thing; like a most excellent painting...
of course there are single live performances here and there that are definitional for me, entire albums of them sometimes, but the studio versions are THE most classic versions for me most all the time. L&G tho, wow, i mean wow....brussels too; omg....supah dupah

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 10, 2017 05:39

Studio, by far.

Date: March 10, 2017 10:02

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 11, 2017 12:20

As long as they don't play things like Never Too Into live I have to say studio, although the recent concerts are great again, even the warhorses to be honest.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 11, 2017 12:55

wonderboy
winking smiley

In that case, what a stupid question to ask! Having seen them live, especially before 1989, influences the whole perspective on the band and thereby the listening to their records. The alternatives become parts of a total, that is, of the total experience.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 11, 2017 14:26

LeonidP
wonderboy
winking smiley

... or you might get both! winking smiley

See, this is why men drive women crazy. Y'all get to pick between Ginger and Mary Ann, we have to pick between Mr Howell and the Skipper. AND we might get both!

Anyhoo... Studio. Although the live version of Saint Of Me from No Security, cranked too high, is a strong exception.

(Don't remind me of The Professor, he's too busy trying to make a radio out of coconut shells to notice women...)

Date: March 11, 2017 14:41

aaaahhhhh babeeee you don't get it do ya .... if you really wanna b....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 11, 2017 20:00

Usually studio, but then there's Brussels...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 11, 2017 23:28

'69 LIVE and STUDIO before 1989 and STUDIO after 2016 ........................

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 12, 2017 16:53

Why do I have to choose?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 12, 2017 17:08

Hilarious.
Studio.
I was soaked in all studio for decades.
And I choose the Professor.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 12, 2017 17:52

35love
... I choose the Professor.

You're likely hoping he can build you a stereo, you minx! thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2017 02:43

Nate
DandelionPowderman
Both.

Exactly
No need to choose one we have both to enjoy and both are brilliant.

Nate thumbs up

it's a game, you're forced to choose one or the other. otherwise, you may as well just say I'M NOT PLAYING!

Oh, and BTW, Studio for me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2017 02:44

matxil
RipThisBone
wonderboy
winking smiley

I prefer The Blond One..... swedish... or ... the model...

What's her name? She was nice.

Agnetha.

wrong...that's a song by the Who.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 13, 2017 02:59

Studio. And love the outtakes, rehearsals, alternate takes almost as much as (sometimes even more than) the official versions.

-swiss

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 13, 2017 03:16

Live any day of the week. That includes every band I listen to.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2081
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home