Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: What Is With Hipsters?
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 01:04

(Warning: This will seem at times more like a rant.)

For the life of me, I struggle to understand what is with hipster culture, and what they'll tear down to claim isn't as good as we all think, their preening pretentiousness, and their fetishizing of "authenticity" and irony.

It seems that everywhere I look, I see something on the Internet that will work to destroy the reputation and change the narrative of a beloved movie, book, album, show or video game. They'll insist that they know the "real truth" about this thing. And to some extent, they'll be successful in converting people. After all, this is how the backlash over Disney animated films after The Lion King erupted (Pocahontas especially), in saying that Don Bluth never did a good movie after All Dogs Go To Heaven (he had spectacular misses, but he righted himself), and the increasingly lazy and misleading pseudo-analysis of RedLetterMedia, Doug Walker/Nostalgia Critic, CinemaSins, TotalBiscuit, Angry Joe, TheMysteriousMrEnter, the Kiss fans who disown the band now, and all the butthurt Star Wars fans who consider George Lucas to be an evil money-grubbing whore managed to flourish. They even changed the Rotten Tomatoes score and consensus over Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, and the game and the series itself as a whole.

I don't want to sound like a middle-aged man yelling at kids to get off the lawn, but I just can't understand this whatsoever. Can any of you?

Re: OT: What Is With Hipsters?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 01:35

I don't know if RedLetterMedia and Doug Walker fall into this category...I subscribe to Doug's YouTube channel (Channel Awesome) and watch RLM video occasionally, and find their analysis insightful and hilarious.

I actually like seeing "sacred" properties from my youth analyzed from a different perspective. It doesn't always change my mind, but I find it to be a fun intellectual exercise.

Date: March 16, 2017 01:49

Doug started off really great, but the sad decline has become evident. Focus on long and unfunny sketches that have worn out their welcome, forced memes, just continually spouting "I don't know", "bland", "unoriginal" and so one because he doesn't bother to try and understand things most people easily could at 10 years, and his behind-the-scenes sleazy hypocrisy and manipulation of Mike Michaud to do what he wants (or just sucking up to his whims and parroting Michaud's line of thinking) (Spoony, Phelous, Lupa) has really turned me off. His Disneycember reviews are quite irritating, his points about anime, even ones he likes, can't be counted because he judges them solely by Western standards and refuses to understand Japanese culture, and he just wallows in ignorance.

Red Letter Media, especially "Mr. Plinkett" are thoroughly worse, and have no redeeming qualities. Their continual lies and misrepresenting the films is beyond ridiculous, especially the Star Wars reviews. It's one thing to point out that there are very real flaws with the prequel trilogy, it's another to invent ones out of whole cloth, refusal to do true research (there are more practical effects in Episode I alone than the original trilogy combined, at 2000 shots total, and they played a significant part in production, well besides the oft-maligned CGI), and relies on very strawman points. Saying that Jedi should go "full Rambo" in a Trade Federation destroyer is beyond absurd, and even more juvenile than the writing he condemns.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: March 16, 2017 01:59

have you ever thought the cure to your problem could be employment?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:01

"What is with hipster culture?"

Typically, an age range from 20s to 30s somewhere, tapering off by their mid to late 40s, until finally they become their parents.

So, what is with hipster culture is a sort of snake skin that is eventually shed -- because soon enough these very "hipster" pundits will become the very targets of the generation emerging just behind them.

Date: March 16, 2017 02:02

I am employed at a grocery store, and I go to college, thank you very much. And no, I don't just wallow in anger and pity all the time. My life is quite wonderful, and I have much to be happy about. But the actions of hipsters and their inauthentic "authenticity" really gets to me.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 16, 2017 03:58

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 16, 2017 04:07

Let me join your rant - I can't stand hipster cafes! Dirty, grimy places with rusted old garden tables, broken-down ex-school chairs and mismatched old crockery; unprofessional servers often with dirty clothes and dirty fingernails. And the prices are the same as anywhere else!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 16, 2017 05:31

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: March 16, 2017 05:39

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 16, 2017 05:49

Toxic34
(Warning: This will seem at times more like a rant.)

For the life of me, I struggle to understand what is with hipster culture, and what they'll tear down to claim isn't as good as we all think, their preening pretentiousness, and their fetishizing of "authenticity" and irony.

It seems that everywhere I look, I see something on the Internet that will work to destroy the reputation and change the narrative of a beloved movie, book, album, show or video game. They'll insist that they know the "real truth" about this thing. And to some extent, they'll be successful in converting people. After all, this is how the backlash over Disney animated films after The Lion King erupted (Pocahontas especially), in saying that Don Bluth never did a good movie after All Dogs Go To Heaven (he had spectacular misses, but he righted himself), and the increasingly lazy and misleading pseudo-analysis of RedLetterMedia, Doug Walker/Nostalgia Critic, CinemaSins, TotalBiscuit, Angry Joe, TheMysteriousMrEnter, the Kiss fans who disown the band now, and all the butthurt Star Wars fans who consider George Lucas to be an evil money-grubbing whore managed to flourish. They even changed the Rotten Tomatoes score and consensus over Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, and the game and the series itself as a whole.

I don't want to sound like a middle-aged man yelling at kids to get off the lawn, but I just can't understand this whatsoever. Can any of you?

With the exception of Disney/Lion King and Lucas/Star Wars, I don't have the faintest idea of what any of those other things mentioned even are.

But I'm guessing that you spend waaaaay too much time on the internet. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 16, 2017 06:00

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 16, 2017 09:00

^^ That's brilliant. grinning smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 16, 2017 10:57

Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time before High Victorian Camp became fashionable again. Though I don't think the Victorian gents wore plaid shirts with their voluminous whiskers.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 16, 2017 11:44

Toxic34
For the life of me, I struggle to understand what is with hipster culture

It's not a culture it's a bunch of idiots dressing alike and (not) thinking alike.
I had the "pleasure" of hearing a conversation between 3 specimens of this breed and it ended with this strong conclusion : "hey we need to stop buying 350 bucks trousers we'll never wear even once". (true story btw).

Well... angry smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 16, 2017 12:07

I don't have much problem with the "hipster look" or "hipster café's" as such. The look is not so bad and it actually originates from informal nonchalance, which is alright. "Hipster' bars" are in principal okay too: quality tea, quality beer, quality cakes in an informal environment with lots of wood and nice pictures on the walls. It's fine with me.
The problem is, but that's not typical "hipster", then it becomes a fashion and "hip", and so it gets fake, repetitive and - more importantly - expensive. Like paying 2.50 euros for a coffee (I am talking Spain, I'm sure in London it'd be 4 pounds or something).
But that's the same that happened with other fads, like "punk" (paying 50 euros for a "punk-haircut", there's irony for you) or "hippie" (paying 200 bucks for jeans with holes in it), or pretty much any "youth-culture".

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 16, 2017 13:21

And mods and rockers and grungers and every subculture that gets swallowed up by the mainstream.

I really don't understand why this is an issue.

Date: March 16, 2017 13:37

The problem isn't the hipsters – it's merely that we are getting old...

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 16, 2017 13:54

Boorish pretentiousness has long been a symptom of young adulthood. That said I have had the urge to bitch-slap a few of these snotty hipster pricks in recent years. I was a pretentious boor once too but I still had manners.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 16, 2017 14:52

I chose the partly hipster place "Ni Muser" in Trondheim, Norway, the other day ´cause I couldn`t stand the streamlined "Tulla Fisher" with its business friendly euphoria behind the counter. Besides they had cheated me for 10 NOK twice in a row. The beef burger was OK, but as I left I could hear some Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow rehash from the sound system. That was definitely hipster music, and I couldn`t stand it. You could just as well call me old.

Date: March 16, 2017 14:55

noughties
I chose the partly hipster place "Ni Muser" in Trondheim, Norway, the other day ´cause I couldn`t stand the streamlined "Tulla Fisher" with its business friendly euphoria behind the counter. Besides they had cheated me for 10 NOK twice in a row. The beef burger was OK, but as I left I could hear some Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow rehash from the sound system. That was definitely hipster music, and I couldn`t stand it. You could just as well call me old.

Ha! I've played a show in the garden there! Nice place, and the owner (Stein) is a great guy thumbs up

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 16, 2017 15:53

I've met some individual people that you could call "hipsters" who were really cool. But I think the hipster mentality tends to have a close mindedness and up tightness to it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-16 15:55 by ryanpow.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 16, 2017 15:57

DandelionPowderman
The problem isn't the hipsters – it's merely that we are getting old...

thumbs up

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 16, 2017 16:04

What IS the deal with Hipsters?.
The mug is not hip, the hips dont stir... why aren't they called Roundtine?"

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 16:06

HankM
What IS the deal with Hipsters?.
The mug is not hip, the hips dont stir... why aren't they called Roundtine?"
Ah, Seinfeld grinning smiley

That's gold, Jerry...GOLD!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 16, 2017 17:47

Attitude problem

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 16, 2017 18:07

ryanpow
I've met some individual people that you could call "hipsters" who were really cool. But I think the hipster mentality tends to have a close mindedness and up tightness to it.

Hipsters cool? They wish.

This obscure song by the Edgar Winter Group gets to the point of it all:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 16, 2017 18:25

Nothing a few years in the military and proper motivation wouldn't fix

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 16, 2017 18:33

If you can't beat'em, join'em. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 16, 2017 18:41

i used to be in a band called the voluminous whiskers.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home