Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mandy Aftel's book on Brian - general consensus and/or your own opinion?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 10, 2017 04:09

hi there,

I've never read--and ordered and am still awaiting arrival of--Mandy Aftel's Death of a Rolling Stone: The Brian Jones Story.

What is the general consensus of this book, the author, etc., or what's your own take on it?

The author is extremely interesting. The Brian book was her first--and only--book on popular culture/music/biography.

She's a world-renowned custom natural-products scent/perfume-creator in Berkeley. She's also a psychotherapist, and in addition to the Brian book (which was supported by a slew of interviews) has published on narrative and self-narrative (the latter of which I ordered for 1 cent on Amazon), as well as on scent and the sense of smell.

*Please* don't post links to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum and Library. As usually the case, I'm looking for deeper insight from people here on the board (we make up this looseknit cadre of souls who tend to know, or think about, more than most people on the planet, the Rolling Stones).

In this case, I hope to hear from people who know particularly about Brian and the Brian "literature," about which I know less than general-interest Stones stuff.

Opinions from people familiar with this book would be great--but, again, pointers to, like, Amazon reviewers, I've already checked out.

thanks!
-swiss

ps - I have seen this post:
Re: OT. BRIAN JONES BOOK
Posted by: Marie
Date: January 22, 2011 03:44

Mandy Aftel's The death of A Rolling Stone is good. It was published around 1982 and Aftel, a former psychotherapist, interviewed Keith four times in the 1970's. Surprisingly he is very even-handed in his comments about Brian here. She also lived with Linda Lawrence and Donovan in the Mojave Desert for a couple of months while writing the book.
It's longer in print, I believe, but you can find it at Amazon.com. It's good because she doesn't sensationalize and doesn't get into the murder theories.The only problem is it's a very short book. Still it was the first biography written on Brian and has quotes not only from Keith, but from Stu, Christopher Gibbs, and Ronnie Money, wife of Zoot Money.

Re: Mandy Aftel's book on Brian - general consensus and/or your own opinion?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 10, 2017 04:28

It's good due to all of the quotes from a lot of people that knew Brian, it's also good because it's from when their memories were still some what fresh and there's deeper reflection etc rather than being the 99th million re telling of the story with all the default replies that came to be later on.

It's not very well written or anything, but the information/quotes held within makes it an essential Brian book.

Date: January 10, 2017 04:33

Also, for Brian related stuff Aftels book has a partner in the Keith book by Barbara Charone from around the same time.

Keith talks a lot about Brian in the Charone book, and again it's in that fresh memory, more reflective way than can be typical of later interviews etc.

The contrast between the Keith in those two books compard to how he is decades later in Life is quite stark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 04:35 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 04:59

There's nothing like a good stark contrast.

Date: January 10, 2017 06:06

Socrates1

grinning smiley

Date: January 10, 2017 07:30

His Majesty
Socrates1

grinning smiley

Thank you for the information and insights, His Majesty. The UPS man just dropped off my copy of Charone just about an hour ago. I look forward to starting that soon and reading Aftel whenever it arrives (am super stoked about the latter).

best
-swiss

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 10, 2017 08:14

The older Stones books have considerable value because people's memories were fresher then and also because of the availability of some of those interviewed, eg Stu.

Mandy Aftel is an exceptional woman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 10, 2017 10:52

Thank you Swiss and HM et al for info. I have Charones book. Have to find Aftels

Date: January 10, 2017 11:35

Bliss
The older Stones books have considerable value because people's memories were fresher then and also because of the availability of some of those interviewed, eg Stu.

Bliss,
Agreed: she seems to be! (Do you know her?)
- swiss

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 10, 2017 11:42

The Aftel and Charone books are both good reads. But be wary, the Brian Jones story is an emotional one and many commentators bend and shape the story to suit their own views and over dramatise the 'injustice' in his life to create a heroes and villains scenario to make their books more readable.

I don't think we will ever get the truth of what happened in the last few years of his life as only those who were there really know and the remaining ones have either forgotten or aren't telling.

Date: January 10, 2017 13:13

I read all the "Brian" books back to back. I think there was 3 of them that I read, and I remember this one being by far the best. Mainly because it isn't wildly speculative.
But on this board in things Brian, I'd follow HisMajesty's advice anyway..
It's true about the earlier books being better. For many reasons I love the older books a lot more. It's kind of a pity because so many of these books are well laid out nowadays. But they don't have this sense of awe and mystery about them anymore. And memories have not only faded, but distorted.
Keith has been completely swallowed up by this public persona of his/and the public's creation. In fairness to him he is not the only one though. This show has been going on for quite a while, and the remaining actors all have an agenda. Jagger, Faithfull, ALO,. And look how many have left us who were there, and who have stories.

I dont see where Swiss asked about Charone, but that is by far my favorite book on Keith. I had just made this point in some other thread, that IMO bios are best done by examining one small period of the person's life.

Date: January 10, 2017 13:15

Redhotcarpet
Thank you Swiss and HM et al for info. I have Charones book. Have to find Aftels

RHC, do it! I found it for very little on Amazon, rated "Very Good."

It blows me away that she conducted the interviews in 1974, but the book didn't come out until 1982.

(Makes me almost feel not quite as bad about my molasses-in-January Altamont projects winking smiley )

- swiss

Date: January 10, 2017 13:19

Silver Dagger
The Aftel and Charone books are both good reads. But be wary, the Brian Jones story is an emotional one and many commentators bend and shape the story to suit their own views and over dramatise the 'injustice' in his life to create a heroes and villains scenario to make their books more readable.

I don't think we will ever get the truth of what happened in the last few years of his life as only those who were there really know and the remaining ones have either forgotten or aren't telling.

Thank you, Silver Dagger.

By "commentators" do you mean the people who were interviewed for the Aftel book who "bend and shape the story to suit their own views and over dramatise the 'injustice' in his life to create a heroes and villains scenario"?

thanks again,
swiss

Date: January 10, 2017 13:22

Palace Revolution 2000
I read all the "Brian" books back to back. I think there was 3 of them that I read, and I remember this one being by far the best. Mainly because it isn't wildly speculative. But on this board in things Brian, I'd follow HisMajesty's advice anyway.

Thanks PalRev, I agree with you about His Majesty's take on things re: Brian. I'm looking forard to receiving and cracking open this book.

Palace Revolution 2000
It's true about the earlier books being better. For many reasons I love the older books a lot more. It's kind of a pity because so many of these books are well laid out nowadays. But they don't have this sense of awe and mystery about them anymore. And memories have not only faded, but distorted. Keith has been completely swallowed up by this public persona of his/and the public's creation. In fairness to him he is not the only one though. This show has been going on for quite a while, and the remaining actors all have an agenda. Jagger, Faithfull, ALO,. And look how many have left us who were there, and who have stories.

Great insights!

Palace Revolution 2000
I dont see where Swiss asked about Charone, but that is by far my favorite book on Keith. I had just made this point in some other thread, that IMO bios are best done by examining one small period of the person's life.

This too -- very cool observation! I just received Charone today and am toddling upstairs to hop in bed and start reading now!

-swiss

Date: January 10, 2017 14:51

Silver Dagger

Yes, i'd rather have the raw, unedited interviews the books are based on than the finished story by the writer using quotes. That would let us see how much, if at all, the interviewee pushed things in a particular direction and so on.

Agreed on the last few years, the jigsaw puzzle pieces of info we have only let us know so much, still many pieces missing. The biggest being Brian's own side of things.

Date: January 10, 2017 14:56

Palace Revolution 2000
I read all the "Brian" books back to back. I think there was 3 of them that I read, and I remember this one being by far the best. Mainly because it isn't wildly speculative.
But on this board in things Brian, I'd follow HisMajesty's advice anyway..
It's true about the earlier books being better. For many reasons I love the older books a lot more. It's kind of a pity because so many of these books are well laid out nowadays. But they don't have this sense of awe and mystery about them anymore. And memories have not only faded, but distorted.

Thanks! grinning smiley

Spot on regarding awe and mystery, smoking smiley

I mentioned the Charone book as the tone and reflection found in the Keith quotes are similar to those in the Aftel book. He's a bit more mischevious about the whole Anita thing in Charone, but taking quotes from both books gives you a good picture of things from Keith's perspective. I think, of all the stones, Keith knew Brian the most and was also most deeply affected through knowing him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 15:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 10, 2017 15:28

Is Hotchkiss's book 'Blown Away' comparable to the Aftel book? I'd read Hothkiss's and Charone's books, the Greenfield/Rolling Stone early 70s Keith Richard's interview, and finally the Stanley Booth book. Thus my view of Brian Jones was formed.

So I'm wondering if this book by Mandy Aftel book can change perceptions of Brian Jones in any way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 15:29 by nightskyman.

Date: January 10, 2017 15:58

My memory of Blown Away was that it imposes too much on the story rather than letting the story tell itself. I think it's one of the books where certain myths got introduced. For what ever reason I didn't keep my copy.

Rolling Stone, Aftel and Charone feature Keith in same mindset with the Rolling Stone interview being a bit more reserved about the bad stuff.

In typing this I guess there is equal worth to his attitude in Life and other more angry or dismissive tellings as it shows the wide range of emotions he's had about Brian.

Date: January 10, 2017 16:55

His Majesty
Silver Dagger

Yes, i'd rather have the raw, unedited interviews the books are based on than the finished story by the writer using quotes. That would let us see how much, if at all, the interviewee pushed things in a particular direction and so on.

Agreed on the last few years, the jigsaw puzzle pieces of info we have only let us know so much, still many pieces missing. The biggest being Brian's own side of things.

There was a kind of hysteria in the 80s where Stones 'insiders' were popping up right, left and centre and hoping to cash in on revealing 'what really happened.

Not only did it do Brian a disservice but it distorted the truth and helped perpetuate a myth and create an image of Brian as a loser on a downward spiral.

I don't believe this was the case and has been manufactured to feed the Stones' industry, creating 10th rate film biogs,books and sensationalist newspaper exposes.

I met Tom Keylock in the early 90s, shortly before he died, and asked him about Brian but he was looking for a big paycheck to 'reveal the truth'. Once money becomes involved the truth always takes a back seat. There's an old showbiz saying, 'money talks and wan kers listen'.

There's no denying that Brian was on a low but haven't we all been on lows - whether they last a few days or even a few years. I'm sure Brian wasn't on a terminal downer as has been portrayed - he was going through a bad time and would have come out the other end. A man of his enormous talent would have survived and got a new band together as has been mooted.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 10, 2017 17:40

His Majesty
Also, for Brian related stuff Aftels book has a partner in the Keith book by Barbara Charone from around the same time.

Keith talks a lot about Brian in the Charone book, and again it's in that fresh memory, more reflective way than can be typical of later interviews etc.

The contrast between the Keith in those two books compard to how he is decades later in Life is quite stark.

It will be interesting to reflect on "Life" if any long time board members outlive Keith - which of course may not happen given Keith's story so far. I wonder if Fox will have more to say then too.
The thing about "Life" is it that I suspect it was written during the recovery period after his head injury at a time when he was trying to make some sort of sense of the muddle of stuff that he could remember and which had shaped his life - what you get is a narrative of the things that affected him emotionally and / or associated with guilt (so probably very unreliable) and quite sentient musings on stuff with which he was comfortable. Brian must have fallen into the former bucket.

Date: January 10, 2017 17:56

EJM

The thing about "Life" is it that I suspect it was written during the recovery period after his head injury at a time when he was trying to make some sort of sense of the muddle of stuff that he could remember and which had shaped his life - what you get is a narrative of the things that affected him emotionally and / or associated with guilt (so probably very unreliable) and quite sentient musings on stuff with which he was comfortable. Brian must have fallen into the former bucket.

Perhaps as some of his quotes taken from when he promoted the book are gentler and reflective to how he comes across in the book itself.

He did mention that it was painful and hard work having to re-live everything all over again.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2017 22:14

I think it's interesting to have the raw emotion of the times around Brian's demise, but also to have the years to look back and try to make some sense of it, as I felt they were trying to do on Crossfire Hurricane. They were, except for Bill, men in their mid-twenties when all this went down. They were under immense pressure to get the Rolling Stones train running again after the stumbles of 1967. Beggars Banquet was that first step but it had to be followed up with a tour. Brian simply couldn't get it together, especially guitar wise as they were entering a more musically demanding era. I don't get the feeling he was particularly close with anyone in the group by that time, either. Brian didn't seem to go out of his way to endear himself to anyone in the group. To fans it seems a personal decision, to the Stones it was purely business as they could not go on with this person who was not pulling his weight.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2017 22:47

Mandy Aftel's book was the first Brian bio I ever read, in fact the first bio book on an individual Stone, in the early eighties after I had been a fan for a year or two. It's been 35-odd years since I read it, but one of the things I recall offhand is how he was said to have had an obsession with washing his hair, that he would wash it two, even three times daily. There was one instance when he barged into a London salon in the middle of the day demanding to use one of their sinks so he could wash his hair, and to be allowed to use a hair dryer as well, as though it were a medical emergency. There must have been a television appearance upcoming that evening, or something.

Date: January 11, 2017 00:12

stonehearted
Mandy Aftel's book was the first Brian bio I ever read, in fact the first bio book on an individual Stone, in the early eighties after I had been a fan for a year or two. It's been 35-odd years since I read it, but one of the things I recall offhand is how he was said to have had an obsession with washing his hair, that he would wash it two, even three times daily. There was one instance when he barged into a London salon in the middle of the day demanding to use one of their sinks so he could wash his hair, and to be allowed to use a hair dryer as well, as though it were a medical emergency. There must have been a television appearance upcoming that evening, or something.

Again, I wish there were an animated emoji of someone laughing hysterically! This will have to do -- smiling bouncing smiley Will report back on this story of Brian's "hair quirk" after I get the book! Thank you for the larf.

-swiss

Date: January 11, 2017 00:15

By commentators I mean those connected to the Stones at the time, however remotely, who come out and voice opinions rather than facts. There were only ever a handful of people in the Stones' inner sanctum who really knew the truth about Brian's decline and exit.
By pure chance I went out with the daughter of the psychiatrist who treated Brian towards the end but obviously he did not want to talk about his former patient.

Date: January 11, 2017 05:26

Silver Dagger
By commentators I mean those connected to the Stones at the time, however remotely, who come out and voice opinions rather than facts. There were only ever a handful of people in the Stones' inner sanctum who really knew the truth about Brian's decline and exit.
By pure chance I went out with the daughter of the psychiatrist who treated Brian towards the end but obviously he did not want to talk about his former patient.

Thanks, SD. Will indeed be interesting to see how the people interviewed in Mandy Aftel's book come out on various things.

It would be very interesting to hear what that shrink would have to say now, in retrospect, about Brian - or to see the notes he'd taken back when. I don't know the standards around whether or how long patient confidentiality is expected to remain intact after death.

-swiss

Date: January 11, 2017 05:33

Silver Dagger

This is what is so sad: that all the people outside of the band; the ones who would be able to have a more objective view of Brian WITHIN the Stones, are all gone. Michael Cooper, Tara Browne, Spanish Tony, A. Korner.
I do think Bill Wyman seemed to be close to Brian. Just read his second book again. He speaks of Brian a good bit; there is a lot about the Big 3 (Mick, Keith, ALO) vs. Brian, seen from his POV.
Just want to add - were I to want to write something on Brian nowadays; maybe try to find some insight - Bill Wyman would be the one I talk to. Wyman is really getting up there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 05:35 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 11, 2017 09:59

Excellent book. Studied it for an advanced English course in high school. I communicated with her a few years back, a very nice lady.

Date: January 11, 2017 10:33

Palace Revolution 2000
Just want to add - were I to want to write something on Brian nowadays; maybe try to find some insight - Bill Wyman would be the one I talk to. Wyman is really getting up there.

Good point. Duly noted. Thanks, PL2K.
-swiss

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 11, 2017 11:10

swiss
Bliss

Bliss,
Agreed: she seems to be! (Do you know her?)
- swiss

Not personally, but I have followed her work and own one of her earlier Grandiflorum fragrances.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home