Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. BRIAN JONES BOOK
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: January 22, 2011 02:59

Can someone recommend a great Brian Jones biography to read? Thanks!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Re: OT. BRIAN JONES BOOK
Posted by: Marie ()
Date: January 22, 2011 03:44

Mandy Aftel's The death of A Rolling Stone is good. It was published around 1982 and Aftel, a former psychotherapist, interviewed Keith four times in the 1970's. Surprisingly he is very even-handed in his comments about Brian here. She also lived with Linda Lawrence and Donovan in the Mojave Desert for a couple of months while writing the book.
It's longer in print, I believe, but you can find it at Amazon.com. It's good because she doesn't sensationalize and doesn't get into the murder theories.The only problem is it's a very short book. Still it was the first biography written on Brian and has quotes not only from Keith, but from Stu, Christopher Gibbs, and Ronnie Money, wife of Zoot Money.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 22, 2011 06:13

Stanley Booth's The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones goes back and forth between being about the 69 tour, and being practically a biography of Brian's early life.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 22, 2011 06:59

'Golden Stone' by Laura Jackson wasn't bad. If you can find the issue MOJO devoted to Brian about ten years back it's pretty good. 'Golden Stone' goes into his childhood and teen years, while MOJO took me to places I didn't know about; like Brian hanging out with Warhol in NYC before the other Stones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 22, 2011 07:26

Bill Wymans Stone Alone comes across like a tribute to Brian to me, there is a lot about Brian in that book.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 22, 2011 18:41

OTconfused smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2011 18:59

Mandy Aftel's book is good.

Keith was not as bad toward Brian in Life as some have you have said.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 22, 2011 19:05

By the way, since when has a thread about Brian Jones been OT?

Date: January 22, 2011 19:43

slew
Mandy Aftel's book is good.

Keith was not as bad toward Brian in Life as some have you have said.

I dunno, crediting stu with founding the band and it being his vision is quite a kick in teeth towards Brian and totally contradicts a lot of what Keith has said many times in the past.

Also the "@#$%&" etc words were never far away whenever he talks about Brian.

Posted by: sizey ()
Date: January 22, 2011 22:50

"Who Killed Christopher Robin" By Terry Rawlings. Very good. Avoid G.Guliano's book at all costs.

Date: January 22, 2011 22:52

sizey
"Who Killed Christopher Robin" By Terry Rawlings. Very good. Avoid G.Guliano's book at all costs.

Both are full of poo poo.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2011 23:10

Hismajesty - I think you are taking the "Stu founded the band a little out of context". It was Brian, Mick, Keith and Stu who were the first ones in the band. Brian seemed to be the leader, he also along with Andrew and Eric Easton kicked Stu out of the band. I think Keith looks at Stu as sort of a father figure who kept them all somewhat grounded so to speak. Keith's rift with Brian is also very personal its not just about the Stones its also with Anita.

Date: January 22, 2011 23:11

I thought Rawlings had a good bash at it, but Guiliano introduces some total cock. Has anyone hear heard the tape he did, supposedly of one of the builders at Cotchford?

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:01

sizey
I thought Rawlings had a good bash at it, but Guiliano introduces some total cock. Has anyone hear heard the tape he did, supposedly of one of the builders at Cotchford?

Giuliano ripped off a lot of his from Rawlings, that's well-documented. Rawlings is horrible, full of mistakes and, like His Majesty said, lots of poo poo.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:10

check out Nicolas Fitzgarelds story,came out in mid 80s,a very good read...

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:14

detroitken
check out Nicolas Fitzgarelds story,came out in mid 80s,a very good read...

You're kidding, right? There's no proof Fitzgerald even knew Brian, no one who knew Brian, including people he mentions meeting, seems to have ever met him.

Date: January 23, 2011 00:36

It really lies in waiting the best book on Jones. I imagine the moment might even have passed with so many not with us.

I read a very very strange passage concerning Brian in A.E Hotchner's book. I was surprised that the character claiming that he saw Brian being "murdered" wasn't questioned by police. Maybe he was, but it is an extraordinary claim.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:40

if you know spanish... Brian Jones - el stone maldito, de Mariano Muniesa.

Date: January 23, 2011 02:12

slew
Hismajesty - I think you are taking the "Stu founded the band a little out of context". It was Brian, Mick, Keith and Stu who were the first ones in the band. Brian seemed to be the leader, he also along with Andrew and Eric Easton kicked Stu out of the band. I think Keith looks at Stu as sort of a father figure who kept them all somewhat grounded so to speak. Keith's rift with Brian is also very personal its not just about the Stones its also with Anita.

I wrote out a long reply, but @#$%& it, it doesn't really matter.

smileys with beer

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-23 03:10 by His Majesty.

Date: January 23, 2011 04:26

His Majesty
sizey

Both are full of poo poo.

thumbs up

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: January 23, 2011 10:39

I recommend a couple of books:
- Graham Ride's Foundation Stone about a brief period in Cheltenham immediately before Brian moved to London.
- Phelge's Nankering with the R.S. about the Edith Grove days.

The two authors really lived with Brian under the same roof and I think are more reliable than other writers.

For the rest, in my opinion Bill's Stone Alone is the best circulating source and covers all the period of Brian with the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-23 10:42 by straycat58.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 23, 2011 21:11

Courtfield Road,can you(or anybody else) offer any examples ? I realize that I read this many(25)years ago,but,I thought,it was a good read,better than Reed,Jackson,Wohlin,Giuliano,Rawlings or even Aftel's books...Thanx

Date: January 24, 2011 04:41

Dave Thomson was Brian's roommate in 1965 before he moved to Courtfield Road. In an interview around 2003 or 2004 Dave said that Nicholas Fitzgerald had said they had met at a Thank Your Lucky Stars taping. Dave said it didn't happen because he wasn't there. He also said in the interview he never met a Nicholas Fitzgerald.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 24, 2011 09:32

There's a book with a heavy dose of Brian content that has probably flown under the radar of many Stones fans:

NICO: THE LIFE AND LIES OF AN ICON by Richard Witts

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:14

Laura Jackson - Brian Jones: the Golden Stone

Take her own inputs with a pinch of salt and enjoy all those fantastic quotes from people that knew or worked with Brian.

Mandy Aftel - Death of a Rolling Stone

The interviews with Keith are alone enough to get this book.

Bill Wyman - Stone Alone

The inside story from a member of the band that isn't named Jagger or Richards. Lots of balanced views on Brian.

Alan Clayson - Brian Jones

Easy read and pretty good sum up of Brian and his life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home