Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
IORR quoting policy
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 16, 2016 09:45

If you need too many rules then it is usually because people do not think before they post, or because they ignore other people.

There are two ways of saying "You look great today" to a person:

A: The right way:

"You look great today. I really mean it. You look great!"

This is a clear and undisputed way of communicating.

B: The wrong way:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Bla bla bla bla bla bla meaningless words in between things you and others have said many many many many times. You look great today. I really mean it. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Bla bla bla bla bla bla meaningless words in between things you and others have said many many many many times. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

=====

QUOTING ON IORR:

Every person who post is responsible of how their post looks like. If the message is drowning in quoting spam then it is a bad post. It is spam and nobody will care about it. I might delete it, and it would take time for me, as moderator, to delete it. So please, do not quote pictures, do not make endless quoting trees. It is NOT good practice. It is ignorant spam.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 09:50 by bv.

DELETE THIS THREAD AFTERWARDS_ A CERTAIN DEFECT ABOUT THE QUOTE FUNCTION
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 15, 2016 14:25

THE QUOTE FUNCTION CAN TAKE SINGLE POSTS AS USUAL. HOWEVER, IT SEEMS THAT IT CAN'T HANDLE ADEQUATELY POSTS THAT FIGURE IN A "TREE OF POSTS". BECAUSE THEN ALL THE POSTS IN THE "TREE" ARE ALLOTTED TO THE POSTER WITH THE LATEST POST.

Re: DELETE THIS THREAD AFTERWARDS_ A CERTAIN DEFECT ABOUT THE QUOTE FUNCTION
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 15, 2016 15:15

BV climbing mountains again?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 15, 2016 15:26

Quotes containing pictures are only showing the picture's URL.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 15, 2016 17:51

-

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 12:22 by HankM.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2016 18:02

Stoneage
BV climbing mountains again?

Ha ha... good one!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 15, 2016 18:28

HankM

I dont know what to say about pictures and quoting them. I guess it slows it all down to have them quoted too many times, so what ever people think is best. I dont mind waiting 5 seconds for cool pictures to load. One the best threads on IORR is the slowest loading because of pictures and I enjoy watching it load. I am in no hurry... if I was in hurry I wouldn't be here sitting here on the IORR dock, watching the river flow.

I do think links should be able to be quoted properly. As of right now links are breaking and unusable when they quoted.

Just my 2 cents, offering ideas, trying to help make it better, not complaining.

When I quote a post containing a picture, I usually delete the picture's URL. Actually I've been posting this way since I read this post on this thread:

"IORR quoting policy - please read this before you post!
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:16

NEVER EVER quote pictures. It is spam. The pictures are there already. You may have a fast internet connection, but many people do NOT have high speed internet. If a page with say 10 pictures is quoted 10 times then people get only 10% of the real IORR speed. Basic calculations."

I agree with you about the links that should be able to work properly. A user may quote a message from another thread or that was posted days, weeks or years ago and if the link it's not working, sometimes it's hard to find the original clickable link.

Date: December 15, 2016 18:45

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 12:22 by HankM.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 15, 2016 20:07

I can't change my signature either. Hell, I'm bored with it after 10 years.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: December 15, 2016 20:18

"Quote trees" are annoying.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2016 21:31

Yeah quote trees sure are boring ... like a friggin' maze
ya waste so much time draggin' ya finger down the screen ta see who said what

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 15, 2016 21:44

I think the way "quote this message" works at the moment is a board´s malfunction and not intended by BV.

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: December 15, 2016 21:46

Rockman
Yeah quote trees sure are boring ... like a friggin' maze
ya waste so much time draggin' ya finger down the screen ta see who said what

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 15, 2016 22:08

Witness
THE Q

UOTE FUNCTION CAN TAKE SINGLE POSTS AS USUA

L. HOWEVER, IT SEEMS THAT IT CAN'T HANDLE ADE

QUATELY POSTS THAT FIGURE IN A "TREE OF POSTS". BECA

USE THEN ALL THE POSTS IN THE "TREE" ARE ALLOTTED TO THE POSTER WITH THE LATEST POST.

Nonsense, it's working fine.

Date: December 15, 2016 22:19

LeonidP

THE Q

USE THEN ALL THE POSTS IN THE "TREE" ARE ALLOTTED TO THE POSTER WITH THE LATEST POST.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 15, 2016 22:52

I can see the point of not quoting pictures and it annoys me to see a long string of pictures quoted just so somebody can put a thumbs up at the end. But I can't follow a conversation here any more, or tell who said what without reading the whole thread and making notes. Please put it back the way it was.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 16, 2016 03:42

Witness

THE Q

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Date: December 16, 2016 04:19

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 12:22 by HankM.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 16, 2016 06:09

Witness
THE QUOTE FUNCTION CAN TAKE SINGLE POSTS AS USUAL. HOWEVER, IT SEEMS THAT IT CAN'T HANDLE ADEQUATELY POSTS THAT FIGURE IN A "TREE OF POSTS". BECAUSE THEN ALL THE POSTS IN THE "TREE" ARE ALLOTTED TO THE POSTER WITH THE LATEST POST.

If you look over in the 'Talk about Talk' forum, which I would argue is the right place to report & discuss this, you'll see that I posted about this about 48 hours before anyone else did.

Despite my severe great age I can spot technical problems, and that's good.

When BV returns from his mountain perhaps he can shift this thread to the right place?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 16, 2016 06:50

okey dokey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 12:25 by HankM.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 16, 2016 07:31

I would rather not see too many quotation bricks in threads. It's annoying. I just quoted somebody in another thread and I edited the quoted material to accurately reflect what I wanted to respond to, before I clicked the 'post message' button. That wasn't very difficult, and it looks neater compared to quoting bricks upon bricks of words.

I don't know if this new quoting thing is by design, or if it's something bv can't change because he's on vacation or something. But I don't mind the new quoting thing. Posters can edit their responses to quote specific material, instead of just clicking 'quote' over and over again and filling space with too many bricks. Just my 2 cents on the matter..

Re: IORR quoting policy
Date: December 16, 2016 09:52

There are times your own comment is specifically directed at multiple earlier posts; at a thread in motion.

Also I can personally think of many times I have posted re. a previous photo. A picture that may have appeared 10 posts earlier.

Date: December 16, 2016 10:33

But the problems we have now aren't related to quoting pics or long quoting trees?

If I quote two short posts (i.e. a poster who post one line + another poster who responded with one word), my quote will make it look like one of the posters I quoted said something he/she didn't.

That was not the case earlier.

But, fine, I will edit every post by going into the text and remove stuff, so everybody can see who said what.

It's not 100 percent certain that everybody knows how to do that, though...

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 16, 2016 10:36

The long quote trees are irritating and redundant. Why not just cut and paste the specific statement you want to quote and putting it in " " with an attribution to the author?

Date: December 16, 2016 10:46

Green Lady
I can see the point of not quoting pictures and it annoys me to see a long string of pictures quoted just so somebody can put a thumbs up at the end. But I can't follow a conversation here any more, or tell who said what without reading the whole thread and making notes. Please put it back the way it was.

The outcome of it all, if the quote function is meant to remain how it works now, is caught in the sentence in bold in Green Lady's post.

And if I myself am to quote in a post, I will need a PC to be able to do so properly. That is, by editing the quote to show who wrote what. If I don't edit, I will more or less be entering a desinformation. I, who often write on a phone, cannot then edit quotes. It will be difficult to refer to former posts without quoting.

With such a state of posting, maybe I'd better omit posting in most cases and only be a reader.

Thank you anyway, bv, for giving a response.

Date: December 16, 2016 10:52

Witness

The outcome of it all, if the quote function is meant to remain how it works now, is caught in the sentence in bold in Green Lady's post.

And if I myself am to quote in a post, I will need a PC to be able to do so properly. That is, by editing the quote to show who wrote what. If I don't edit, I will more or less be entering a desinformation. I, who often write on a phone, cannot then edit quotes. It will be difficult to refer to former posts without quoting.

With such a state of posting, maybe I'd better omit posting in most cases and only be a reader.

Thank you anyway, bv, for giving a response.

A test...

Date: December 16, 2016 10:54

In the post above (a test), we see that Witness is credited writing everything that is quoted. The problem is that he didn't say all that. The quoting tool becomes useless if it doesn't work on two posts, imo.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2016 11:01

DandelionPowderman
But the problems we have now aren't related to quoting pics or long quoting trees?

If I quote two short posts (i.e. a poster who post one line + another poster who responded with one word), my quote will make it look like one of the posters I quoted said something he/she didn't.

But, fine, I will edit every post by going into the text and remove stuff, so everybody can see who said what.

It can be a tedious and time consuming process.

This new format prevents a natural flowing 'conversation', and more than likely deters some people from even using the quoting system now.
As for the 'quote trees' from the past, at least you could see who was posting what, and it had a conversational flow.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 16, 2016 11:10

Sometimes it is very usefull to quote more posts, it might make the conversation way more clear, but sometimes there are 10 quotes in one post, saying absolutely nothing, making the conversation absolutely messy. There are other forums, where this one-quote rule works, so I am sure that after some getting used to, it will work here too.

Date: December 16, 2016 11:11

DandelionPowderman

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2016 10:01

It can be a tedious and time consuming process.

This new format prevents a natural flowing 'conversation', and more than likely deters some people from even using the quoting system now.
As for the 'quote trees' from the past, at least you could see who was posting what, and it had a conversational flow.

It will be like this, if I do. Don't know if that's any better?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home