Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: IORR quoting policy
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 17, 2016 07:14

Just a suggestion: what if the quote bricks could only contain two unique quotes from two unique users, or something? When it ends up looking like brick walls then I don't always follow the whole thread.

The Hoffman board has a collapsable-quoting feature: Users can choose to view quoted material if users expand separate windows themselves. I'm certainly not suggesting BV change what is a great format here... Btw anyone is free to visit the Hoffman forums, where they discuss music related topics 24/7.

I don't really care about the new quote thing. I just can't sleep. It's too bad if the new quote thing feels disruptive to anyone. Hey, I love the live setlist threads.... Thanks to everyone for doing those! I especially like viewing pics of the band from shows, and seeing the pics of the official setlist from the shows BUT when people repeat the same pics over and over again, willy-nilly style, in a habitual quote, quote, post, post mode...then, well, it gets tedious. Much like this post.... So yeah, I think BV is sick of our shit. Can we blame him? Can anyone here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 07:15 by Socrates1.

Date: December 17, 2016 07:29

The next question I have is: can anyone hear how great the Stones are? Because I certainly can.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 17, 2016 09:10

DandelionPowderman
Quoting a discussion with two or three posts is not problematic at all. On the contrary, it's easy to navigate in the discussion because of the quote boxes. If we all don't quote pictures, or edit out the picture-codes, the quoting trees are fine and readable.
Hairball
I'm not one to complain about the format or rules of this board, but.....Some things are better left the way they were - too many 'fixes' can turn in it all into a quagmire. Like an update on your computer system - some of them are helpful and useful, while others are detrimental and useless. This new 'streamlined' format of quoting is a good example of technology run amok.
Stoneage
I don't get BV:s non-answer here. Why is it important to impair the usability of the forum?
shortfatfanny
I know what bv is talking about...but it's not unpolite to quote someone just to make clear to whom anyone is refering to. Hope the quoting button will get back it's formerly fine function.

Is this really such a cumbersome "brick" or "quote tree"? Is it really that wearying to people's fingers to have to scroll?

To me, judicious use of quoting simply provides context. Frequently there are 2-3 conversations going on in one thread, and it's necessary to know who is responding to whose last comment to make sense of anything.

-swiss

-swiss

Date: December 17, 2016 09:21

Swiss is right. If we edit out the picture codes when quoting (like Bjørnulf wanted) it will be more than readable.

Date: December 17, 2016 09:46

Probably the bricks make more sense than this...
swiss
Quoting a discussion with two or three posts is not problematic at all. On the contrary, it's easy to navigate in the discussion because of the quote boxes. If we all don't quote pictures, or edit out the picture-codes, the quoting trees are fine and readable.

I'm not one to complain about the format or rules of this board, but.....Some things are better left the way they were - too many 'fixes' can turn in it all into a quagmire. Like an update on your computer system - some of them are helpful and useful, while others are detrimental and useless. This new 'streamlined' format of quoting is a good example of technology run amok.
I don't get BV:s non-answer here. Why is it important to impair the usability of the forum?
I know what bv is talking about...but it's not unpolite to quote someone just to make clear to whom anyone is refering to. Hope the quoting button will get back it's formerly fine function.

Is this really such a cumbersome "brick" or "quote tree"? Is it really that wearying to people's fingers to have to scroll?

To me, judicious use of quoting simply provides context. Frequently there are 2-3 conversations going on in one thread, and it's necessary to know who is responding to whose last comment to make sense of anything.

-swiss

-swiss

I give up. All I know is that I know nothing. And all this quoting talk is reminding me of a brick-walled remaster. It's giving me a headache. Say goodnight, Gracie. Had to have the second edit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 09:59 by Socrates1.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 17, 2016 11:51

DandelionPowderman:
Swiss is right. If we edit out the picture codes when quoting (like Bjørnulf wanted) it will be more than readable.

You don't have to edit out the picture codes - whatever software change has been made has now made it impossible to quote a picture anyway. I've been doing some experimentation with "preview" to see how quoted material is affected, and the answer is that once you quote a post it loses ALL its square-bracket formatting - not just QUOTE but PIC, URL, COLOR - and maybe even italics, bold or underlining - let's see how my underlining on "impossible" gets on if I quote it...

(edit: yes, the undelining disappears if the post is quoted.)

As an example: User A makes a post saying "go HERE for further detail" where HERE disguises a link with a bit of cunning URL formatting. If somebody later on asks for the link, you can't say "here it is" and quote User A's post because once the post is quoted, the URL link is gone - all you have is the word HERE, going nowhere.

I don't use this technique much, but I know a lot of people do. There are ways round it, but we are going to have to learn that square-bracket formatting is now only going to work for the original post - once you quote it, it's all gone. PICs and embedded videos become website links and all other formatting disappears completely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 11:55 by Green Lady.

Date: December 17, 2016 12:14

Thanks, Green Lady thumbs up

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 17, 2016 12:39

A good point was made earlier, I think it was in this thread, but maybe not.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 17, 2016 16:32

This is what you get if you QUOTE a post and you QUOTE it again...this really makes no sense to me as it looks now that the question came from me.........the original poster JHMick disappeared

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 17, 2016 17:22

I like red

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2016 17:22

bv
I like red

I like blue

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2016 17:23

bv

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2016 17:23

bv

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

I like all colours

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2016 17:24

bv

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

I like all colours

I like yellow

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2016 17:25

bv

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

I like all colours

I like yellow

If 1,000 people on IORR quote this post with their won preferences then there will be a "I like..." tree of 1,000 more quotes. Does such a tree add value to the average reader?

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2016 17:29

bv

I like red .....

All you ned is to edit out everything between the "quote" start and end statements and life will be a lot more easy.

Bjornulf

Date: December 17, 2016 17:30

bv

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

I like all colours

I like yellow

If 1,000 people on IORR quote this post with their won preferences then there will be a "I like..." tree of 1,000 more quotes. Does such a tree add value to the average reader?

Test 1 Quote BV...this is OKE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 19:14 by NICOS.

Date: December 17, 2016 17:31

NICOS

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

I like all colours

I like yellow

Test 1

Test 2 Quoted the some post.

And now is BV's name disappeared ? which looks like it's my post I'm Quoting !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 19:16 by NICOS.

Date: December 17, 2016 17:31

That's not good grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 17:35 by NICOS.

Date: December 17, 2016 18:17

IORR: a cool place to hang out. And I used to like how easy it was to make brick shaped droplets on the screen, over and over again. And it was so much fun repeating posts of pics endlessly...those were the good old days.

While I'm at it, Hank, since you asked, can you not post the little pics all the time? I've wanted to mention that. I'm not saying you've done anything wrong. It can just be annoying. I don't want to see the pic of a lizard with a blue tongue because you thing it's neat. Maybe every once in a while a random pic is funny. But all the time? Please stop this. You asked....

Date: December 17, 2016 18:20

*Because you think it's neat.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 17, 2016 18:47

bv
All you ned is to edit out everything between the "quote" start and end statements and life will be a lot more easy.

Makes it very clear and an easy way to respond to only what you want to respond to.

Also- who is ned?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 17, 2016 19:25

NICOS

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

I like all colours

I like yellow

Test 1

Test 2 Quoted the some post.

And now is BV's name disappeared ? which looks like it's my post I'm Quoting !!!!!!!!!!!

Does this new quoting system add any value to this board?
I don't think so.
Those quoting trees you mention don't appear that often...but it's your board and you organize it the way you want it,Bjornulf.

Cherry red I prefer...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 17, 2016 19:31

bv

I like red

I like blue

I likie green

I like all colours

I like yellow

All posts are definitely not so simple as those. And they may be placed in different pages of one thread, more than two different pages. Then oneself wants to post a point of view, disagreeing very much with former poster no. two and not so much with former poster no.four, but still. However, one agrees to some extent with former poster no. three, but not quite, however, is more in agreement with former poster no. one.

Then you have some difficult editing to do even before you enter your own point of view.

Added: Besides, now I am writing on a phone.
A second edit. I had made a mistake in mentionning hypothetical posters one to four.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 19:53 by Witness.

Date: December 17, 2016 19:42

The dialogues and discussions will suffer because of this. For a conversation between two posters, it will be fine (like it was already, btw).

I really don't get this, but let's make the best out of it.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 17, 2016 19:48

DandelionPowderman
The dialogues and discussions will suffer because of this. For a conversation between two posters, it will be fine (like it was already, btw).

Maybe discussions are not longer welcome...
I don't know.

Date: December 17, 2016 20:20

I don't care about it. But now I feel bad about it because other people are getting bent out of shape. You can do it on a phone if you're enabled to tap a screen here and there...Correct? People can still quote if they slow down a bit. Then it isn't always the easy-convenience of post, post, post, but at least it's something.

Re: DELETE THIS THREAD AFTERWARDS_ A CERTAIN DEFECT ABOUT THE QUOTE FUNCTION
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2016 20:31

HMS
I think the way "quote this message" works at the moment is a board´s malfunction and not intended by BV.

Uh, yo, 5 watt: NO ONE said BV did it.

Date: December 17, 2016 20:33

shortfatfanny

Maybe discussions are not longer welcome...
I don't know.

Maybe.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 17, 2016 20:45

Some people never do/did have discussions or even much back and forth, so it is understandable that they see no need for what many feel is quite useful... and/or it may be a sign of the beginning of the end.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home