Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Remembering Stu
Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 17:45

Just posted on Rolling Stones app

Re: Remembering Stu
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 12, 2016 17:53

Wyman I think said Stub called the boys the little showers of shit. Smiling down today on them I hope.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 12, 2016 17:55

Love and light to Stu, and thanks and praises

Date: December 12, 2016 17:56

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 17:58

Stu and Nicky Hopkins.
Irreplaceables.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 12, 2016 18:07

I came here today for Stu.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 12, 2016 18:43

31 years...how time fly's

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 12, 2016 19:03

Miss you Stu smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 12, 2016 19:18

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 12, 2016 19:52

Stu suggested Chuck Leavell for the band. I wonder how people feel about that, or best not to go there.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 13, 2016 03:22

GS1978
Just posted on Rolling Stones app

[i.imgur.com]
That picture looks like Jay Leno

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 03:44

DandelionPowderman

Stewed And Keefed

Very fitting photo. The iconic Forth Railway Bridge from the South Side (Edinburgh) with Stu's native Fife (the North Side) in the background. I think he came from the fishing village of Pittenweem although he moved South with his family aged 4. Always considered himself a Scot though.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 13, 2016 06:07

grzegorz67

Stewed And Keefed

Very fitting photo. The iconic Forth Railway Bridge from the South Side (Edinburgh) with Stu's native Fife (the North Side) in the background. I think he came from the fishing village of Pittenweem although he moved South with his family aged 4. Always considered himself a Scot though.

Yes nice tribute Dandy, being from Edinburgh myself I echo your words gzregorz.Stu was indeed born in Pittenweem,Scotland.He was often referred to as the 'Laird of Pittenweem' in a playful manner by members of the band.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 13, 2016 07:50

So whats the deal with Stu? He was too ugly to be visually part of the band? They didn't want more than 5 guys? I've never quite understood that whole thing with him, but I love his contributions. Its almost like he was never an official member, like a Nicky Hopkins, but they certainly talk about him at times like he was.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 13, 2016 10:39

Seems like a great guy. miss his music with the Stones.
Still searching for the album from Rocket 88.
Jeroen

Date: December 13, 2016 10:43

This one ?

[www.cdandlp.com]

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:14

I think Stu's opinion always mattered to them . As keith said at their Hall of Fame induction - "we're working for him".

I can imagine the new album has brought memories flooding back for them and I think Stu would have improved of his "shower of sh*t" on Blue and Lonesome.
He left a big hole.

sc uk

Date: December 13, 2016 11:23

RollingFreak
So whats the deal with Stu? He was too ugly to be visually part of the band? They didn't want more than 5 guys? I've never quite understood that whole thing with him, but I love his contributions. Its almost like he was never an official member, like a Nicky Hopkins, but they certainly talk about him at times like he was.

Andrew thought they were too many in the group, AND that he didn't have the looks.

The band could have stood up for him, but didn't.

The story is very well told in Phelge's book.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:24

RollingFreak

Why did they need to bring in other keyboard players when they had Stu?
Did they think his technique was too limited?

Date: December 13, 2016 11:34

jlowe

Why did they need to bring in other keyboard players when they had Stu?
Did they think his technique was too limited?

He was their road manager. I think he only played when he felt like it (some numbers), hence they needed Nicky as well.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 13, 2016 12:06

He didn't play in minor keys................"Chinese music"

He played on what he felt like playing on. Check out "Let me Go" Leeds 82. Stu's last gig with them and a lesson for his replacement to....enjoy it.

sc uk

P.S. He was never replaced

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 13, 2016 12:09

powerage78
This one ?

[www.cdandlp.com]

Yeah, thanks. But i want the cd.
thanks anyway.
jeroen

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 13, 2016 12:33

DandelionPowderman

He was their road manager. I think he only played when he felt like it (some numbers), hence they needed Nicky as well.

My jaw dropped when I read the above.

Stu was far and beyond a mere "road manager". Brian founded the group. Stu was the next person on board. Stu was at the heart of The Rolling Stones.

Always be aware that he was actually a full member of the band. So, when they voted in the studio as to whether or not to release "Satisfaction" as a single, the votes for were Charlie, Brian, Bill and Stu. (Against were Mick & Keith).

Your second sentence though it right.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 12:49

Tonstone

Stewed And Keefed

Yes nice tribute Dandy, being from Edinburgh myself I echo your words gzregorz.Stu was indeed born in Pittenweem,Scotland.He was often referred to as the 'Laird of Pittenweem' in a playful manner by members of the band.

Wow! - You're from Edinburgh Tonstone, my favourite city, which I know very well smileys with beer I'm originally from Hamilton but lived in your fine city for a few years in the 80s and became a keen Hearts supporter (for my sins). I've lived down South since my teens but still visit the city regularly as I travel up for Hearts games, several times a season. I'll be at Tynecastle on Saturday.

Back on the Stones, I was at the rather wild Murrayfield gig back in 1999, right up at the front on the pitch with no Golden Circle. Probably my favourite show of my 21 to date.

Date: December 13, 2016 13:05

Yeah,he didn't like minor chords. I read that he's just kind of lay out, and then come back in when his type of chords came back around. So the phrase "he only played when he felt like it" didn't only apply to his choice of song, but even to which part within a song. The coolest.

But on a pragmatic level I agree with ALO. He was too old, didn't look the part. And ..where were they going to find a piano? In every dive and bar? You can't haul it around; and he didn't play organ.

Date: December 13, 2016 13:23

CaptainCorella

My jaw dropped when I read the above.

Stu was far and beyond a mere "road manager". Brian founded the group. Stu was the next person on board. Stu was at the heart of The Rolling Stones.

Always be aware that he was actually a full member of the band. So, when they voted in the studio as to whether or not to release "Satisfaction" as a single, the votes for were Charlie, Brian, Bill and Stu. (Against were Mick & Keith).

Your second sentence though it right.

Clearly you misunderstood totally.

I never said he was «a mere road manager». I said he was their road manager, meaning: he had other obligations, too - therefore, he couldn't/wouldn't do entire shows as their piano player.

Hardly controversial, and all Stones fans know the important role he had in the Stones. Keith even insists that Stu was the real founder of the group.

Now you got my jaw dropping with your interpretation of what I wrote smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 13:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 13, 2016 13:28

Palace Revolution 2000
Yeah,he didn't like minor chords. I read that he's just kind of lay out, and then come back in when his type of chords came back around. So the phrase "he only played when he felt like it" didn't only apply to his choice of song, but even to which part within a song. The coolest.

But on a pragmatic level I agree with ALO. He was too old, didn't look the part. And ..where were they going to find a piano? In every dive and bar? You can't haul it around; and he didn't play organ.

He plays minor chord fragments in Stewed And Keefed, the video I posted above.

Stu not playing minor chords is a myth, not to be taken literally. He probably didn't like it much, though, but that's another matter smiling smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2016 14:07

Actually Stu 'wasn't too old'.
He was born in 1938...some 2 years after Bill.
Though in the early days Bll's year date was quoted 1941.
ALO was a naughty boy.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 13, 2016 14:59

What a class act Stu was. The guy had the complete respect of everyone in the band. When he sat down and played with the boys, THAT was the real Stones sound. Stu would have given a big thumbs up to B and L.

When Stu passed away the band would never be the same in sound or in spirit.

Date: December 13, 2016 16:31

Mick and Keith in the seventies could have stood up for him, but they didn't.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home