Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Remembering Stu
Date: December 13, 2016 16:34

powerage78
Mick and Keith in the seventies could have stood up for him, but they didn't.

In the 60s, you mean smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 16:51

I mean after 1967, when Andrew Loog Oldham was not the manager of the Stones anymore smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: December 13, 2016 17:02

powerage78
I mean after 1967, when Andrew Loog Oldham was not the manager of the Stones anymore smileys with beer

In the 60s, yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 17:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:05

to me, the way Stu accepted his being relegated to an employee for the band meant that he understood it and was kind of relieved, but Im not doubting there was resentment..

but his comments about it have always showed that he understood that decision...

as a result, he became more effective and influential for them. the band loved him, pure and simple, and he knew that, I'm sure.

Date: December 13, 2016 17:16

Yes.
grinning smiley

DandelionPowderman

In the 60s, yes.

Date: December 13, 2016 17:21

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 13, 2016 18:22

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: December 13, 2016 18:26

I am glad that all of the times that I saw The rolling Stones live were with Ian Stewart and Bill Wyman, except 1972, which was with Nicky Hopkins and Bill Wyman.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 13, 2016 18:44

Ian Stewart was very important to the band from the start: Driving his van with the band to their first Sixties concerts and contributing to so many albums for his great style of piano playing.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 13, 2016 19:02

To book the Rollin' Stones, call I.C.I. on VIC(toria) 4444 and ask for "Stu".

From Jazz News, November 28, 1962.
Blues Plus Six featured Charlie Watts on drums.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 13, 2016 19:30

He did a lot for the Stones, but he was more than just a guy who helped them with his playing and organizational skills.
He had a lot of projects on his own, too. Whenever you read a bio or account of some other 60s rock act he is often popping into the story -- helping Zeppelin record, for example, and other things.
And I don't think of him as an 'employee' and neither did the rest of the band.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 13, 2016 19:41

wonderboy
He did a lot for the Stones, but he was more than just a guy who helped them with his playing and organizational skills.
He had a lot of projects on his own, too. Whenever you read a bio or account of some other 60s rock act he is often popping into the story -- helping Zeppelin record, for example, and other things.

the"Sixth Stone,"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 13, 2016 20:51

wonderboy

my bad.. wrong word, I meant that when they decided to carry on as quintet, and that Stu was wrong 'image-wise'

at that point he could have just said 'thats it the hell with this' but he didnt..

he continued working with the band. correct, Im sure they never ever thought of him as an employee.

Date: December 15, 2016 11:18

DandelionPowderman

Yeah,he didn't like minor chords. I read that he's just kind of lay out, and then come back in when his type of chords came back around. So the phrase "he only played when he felt like it" didn't only apply to his choice of song, but even to which part within a song. The coolest.

But on a pragmatic level I agree with ALO. He was too old, didn't look the part. And ..where were they going to find a piano? In every dive and bar? You can't haul it around; and he didn't play organ.

He plays minor chord fragments in Stewed And Keefed, the video I posted above.

Stu not playing minor chords is a myth, not to be taken literally. He probably didn't like it much, though, but that's another matter smiling smiley
Of course it's a myth. And even if not - one can't help that at times you can play two notes, and someone else plays two notes, and together you have formed a chord that wasn't intended. But - in "S&K" there's no minor chords from piano. Even when Stu is behind Keith he is not really comping.

Date: December 15, 2016 11:21

Palace Revolution 2000

Yeah,he didn't like minor chords. I read that he's just kind of lay out, and then come back in when his type of chords came back around. So the phrase "he only played when he felt like it" didn't only apply to his choice of song, but even to which part within a song. The coolest.

But on a pragmatic level I agree with ALO. He was too old, didn't look the part. And ..where were they going to find a piano? In every dive and bar? You can't haul it around; and he didn't play organ.

He plays minor chord fragments in Stewed And Keefed, the video I posted above.

Stu not playing minor chords is a myth, not to be taken literally. He probably didn't like it much, though, but that's another matter smiling smiley
Of course it's a myth. And even if not - one can't help that at times you can play two notes, and someone else plays two notes, and together you have formed a chord that wasn't intended. But - in "S&K" there's no minor chords from piano. Even when Stu is behind Keith he is not really comping.

Some moments when he plays fills there are chord fragments in minor. Hey, it's the blues they're playing! If they're playing a song in C, at some point the pianist has to merge C and D#, for instance smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 15, 2016 11:42

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 18, 2016 08:39

Stu was bedrock: a solid, unwavering foundation that they could always count on. As the band got bigger, amidst all the craziness, the hangers-on, and the sycophants, they needed him more than ever. That he stayed on after being cut from the band speaks volumes about what kind of guy he was. He would be very proud of his "three-chord wonders."

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 19, 2016 00:32

grzegorz67
Tonstone

Stewed And Keefed

Very fitting photo. The iconic Forth Railway Bridge from the South Side (Edinburgh) with Stu's native Fife (the North Side) in the background. I think he came from the fishing village of Pittenweem although he moved South with his family aged 4. Always considered himself a Scot though.

Yes nice tribute Dandy, being from Edinburgh myself I echo your words gzregorz.Stu was indeed born in Pittenweem,Scotland.He was often referred to as the 'Laird of Pittenweem' in a playful manner by members of the band.

Wow! - You're from Edinburgh Tonstone, my favourite city, which I know very well smileys with beer I'm originally from Hamilton but lived in your fine city for a few years in the 80s and became a keen Hearts supporter (for my sins). I've lived down South since my teens but still visit the city regularly as I travel up for Hearts games, several times a season. I'll be at Tynecastle on Saturday.

Back on the Stones, I was at the rather wild Murrayfield gig back in 1999, right up at the front on the pitch with no Golden Circle. Probably my favourite show of my 21 to date.

Yes born and bred in Edinburgh .But woah!!!! -I think we are about to fall out ..LOL!!! I am a big Hibs !!! fan. I was also at Murrayfield 99' it was indeed a great gig, topped for me only by Edinburgh Playhouse 1982. My first Stones show was Knebworth 1976. My brother was at the Edinburgh gigs in the sixties.Anyway hopefully the Hibees can get promoted and can look forward to the derbies next season.smileys with beer.Just going back to Stu I went to the premiere night of Crossfire Hurricane in Edinburgh and coming away feeling disappointed that to my knowledge there was no mention of Stu in the movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-19 00:39 by Tonstone.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home