Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...171172173174175176177178179180181...LastNext
Current Page: 176 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 30, 2018 17:23

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
Always loved Thief In The Night! Here live with Ronnie's daughter on backing vocals, I beleive smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Wow, that's a very good version. Here I was thinking it was impossible to do Thief In The Night live. Thanks for proving me wrong.

It's pretty good on No Security, too.

I haven't listened entirely to any live album of theirs since the Flashback debacle. I seem to remember that the Flip the Switch version on No Security is not bad but I didn't even know Like A Thief was on it.

No shit! grinning smiley

I can't even remember its real name smiling smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 30, 2018 20:01

matxil
I haven't listened entirely to any live album of theirs since the Flashback debacle. I seem to remember that the Flip the Switch version on No Security is not bad but I didn't even know Like A Thief was on it.

Give it another spin! No Security is a pretty decent live album, and it grows on you over time. Over the years it became the live album I listen to most often.

For me, Live Licks is the low point of the live album batch. Bloodless, boring, mediocre playing. They could have spared us that one, really. Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle would have deserved a better live album, that's right. It was a great tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-30 20:02 by doitywoik.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 30, 2018 23:46

They have had thousand of opportunities to make great live compilations. Instead of that we have so strange albums like LYL, SL. FLASPOINT, NO SECURITY and Live Licks.
Anyway I understand it's difficult, almost impossible, to make a honest compilation of live songs properly played
Rocks off edit is the most dishonorable thing they have made to their legacy and fans

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 31, 2018 08:27

doitywoik
Stoneage
Is the band under some kind of deal with a record company (Universal?)? I mean, have they promised to release new material?

Basically yes, the way I remember. There was talk about 2 million quid for a new album. But apparently there's no deadline.

But didn't the band already deliver one studio album - one that turned out to be a hit album by today's standards (I don't think the record company cares if the songs are Jagger/Richards or not, if the bugger just sells). I don't think the band could have made a contract that asks two new studio albums...

So if there initially was a some kind of deal for a new studio album, the band has gotten off the hook by BLUE & LONESOME... an album of originals now would be a charity work from their side...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 31, 2018 09:16

Doxa
doitywoik
Stoneage
Is the band under some kind of deal with a record company (Universal?)? I mean, have they promised to release new material?

Basically yes, the way I remember. There was talk about 2 million quid for a new album. But apparently there's no deadline.

But didn't the band already deliver one studio album - one that turned out to be a hit album by today's standards (I don't think the record company cares if the songs are Jagger/Richards or not, if the bugger just sells). I don't think the band could have made a contract that asks two new studio albums...

So if there initially was a some kind of deal for a new studio album, the band has gotten off the hook by BLUE & LONESOME... an album of originals now would be a charity work from their side...grinning smiley

- Doxa

I remember we had some such discussion a while back but I can't really remember the outcome. - That's one of the good things about his thread: after a while nobody remembers what they have already said earlier and thereby help the thread to expand ... winking smiley

I maybe be mistaken but I think it was argued that yes, it was a new studio album but no, it was not an album of originals. If it plays/played a role in their contract whether or not it was an album of (new) originals or just any kind of new studio material is something I don't know.

But haven't the Stones been known to be quite charitable lads? grinning smiley

Date: May 31, 2018 10:13

doitywoik
matxil

Give it another spin! No Security is a pretty decent live album, and it grows on you over time. Over the years it became the live album I listen to most often.

For me, Live Licks is the low point of the live album batch. Bloodless, boring, mediocre playing. They could have spared us that one, really. Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle would have deserved a better live album, that's right. It was a great tour.

That is funny, because the Four Flicks-DVD was pretty good. Take a song like Monkey Man. It sounded wonderful on FF, but pretty lame on Live Licks. There are more examples. The mix is dreadful, and I wonder how that could happen.

And I haven't even mentioned the editing...

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 31, 2018 12:23

Licks Tour was a very good tour to me. Four Flicks either and indeed Live Licks not spectacular. But a decent track list.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 31, 2018 12:33

Live Licks, yes, especially the guitar mix, Monkey Man is really a good example.
Sooooooo weak.
Flabby.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 12:34 by powerage78.

Re: Another Stones studio album in 20??
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 31, 2018 13:05

It doesn't look like there will be a new Stones-Studio-Album soon.

In the Interview by Neil McCormick in the German Edition of the Rolling Stone (June 2018, p. 44) Keith said (free translated):

"We're working on it - that's all I can say. We had some sessions at the end of the last year, now we continue to muddle on. No clue what the final result will be and when it will be released, but we do our best."

After a question about 'Blue & Lonesome' Keith said:

"I don't mind to record a second part. But it looks like the forthcoming album consists only of our own material. We simply play together and hope that some interesting songs come out of it."

Rolling Stone - [iorr.org]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 31, 2018 19:46

Irix

In the Interview by Neil McCormick in the German Edition of the Rolling Stone (June 2018, p. 44) Keith said (free translated):

"We're working on it - that's all I can say. We had some sessions at the end of the last year, now we continue to muddle on. No clue what the final result will be and when it will be released, but we do our best."

"I don't mind to record a second part. But it looks like the forthcoming album consists only of our own material. We simply play together and hope that some interesting songs come out of it."

'Muddle on' is right - ! Seems as if they have done writing / jamming sessions as a group in trying to get new material (which was / is cool) as well as just Mick and Keith together. Either way ... he sure doesn't sound too enthused .. .. .....

I've <finally> accepted / come to the realization that there is no new album this year.

I should make a truce and agreement with my boy Mr. Hairball ...

** I'll accept that there is no new album coming this year .. but you must accept
that there is no Blue & Lonesome part 2 or anything other than an album of original material in their next studio effort to come?

Sound good? ha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 19:51 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2018 20:42

Irix

Thanks for that Irix - nice to hear a current update straight from the horses mouth. And while not good news, not really surprising either based on what most of us have already accepted - no Stones album any time soon.
Would have at least enjoyed anothe blues covers album in the interim, but looks like Keith's wish might have been vetoed by Universal and/or other band members. Maybe this will encourage Keith to release another solo album? I can see an all acoustic blues covers album, or an electric blues covers album, or a combo of both, maybe sprinkled with a couple of rockin' bluesy originals ala Blues in the Morning..........

From Cambridge dictionary: muddle - to continue doing something with no clear purpose or plan

Round and round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows......eye rolling smiley

Date: May 31, 2018 21:28

DandelionPowderman
That is funny, because the Four Flicks-DVD was pretty good. Take a song like Monkey Man. It sounded wonderful on FF, but pretty lame on Live Licks. There are more examples. The mix is dreadful, and I wonder how that could happen.

I guess you're not alone.

Irix

Of course we don't know when the interview was done and if it's not one that has already been discussed, but anyway, it again seems to confirm the impression of many among us here, namely that the work on the new album is half-assed and unfocused.

Hairball
Maybe this will encourage Keith to release another solo album? I can see an all acoustic blues covers album, or an electric blues covers album, or a combo of both, maybe sprinkled with a couple of rockin' bluesy originals ala Blues in the Morning..........

SOunds great (as long as he doesn't give away originals that would have worked well in a Stones context).

Date: June 1, 2018 05:40

doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

I guess you're not alone.

Irix

Of course we don't know when the interview was done and if it's not one that has already been discussed, but anyway, it again seems to confirm the impression of many among us here, namely that the work on the new album is half-assed and unfocused.

Hairball
Maybe this will encourage Keith to release another solo album? I can see an all acoustic blues covers album, or an electric blues covers album, or a combo of both, maybe sprinkled with a couple of rockin' bluesy originals ala Blues in the Morning..........

SOunds great (as long as he doesn't give away originals that would have worked well in a Stones context).

You say the work on the new album is half-assed and unfocused.

Wait a minute now .. we dont know that. We know they did some sessions (several according to Charlie. We also know Mick and Keith got together a few times to write.

The work they did in there may have no release date and as they continue to nurse it along with no idea but musically it may not be that unfocused.. it may be just not good enough yet or not ready. There is a difference.

Now .. their 'approach' as far as a time-line ..or in attempting to get down to putting it out has been shoddy (at best). That .. I will give you.

Again .. I'll admit there is no Stones album coming this year.. I can see that.

However there is no covers album coming either .. There is no Blue and Lonesome part 2 right now and there is no desire to make a covers album of anything at present. The long running goal is to release an album of originals. Lets agree on that.. its our truce ... Sound good? ha

Date: June 1, 2018 06:13

Ian Billen
"The long running goal is to release an album of originals..."

That's a bit of an understatement...13 years and counting.

Still think they should do a quick B&L pt 2 - would take two to three days in the studio max, and something would be better than nothing.
In the meantime, in Keith's own words "we continue to muddle on. No clue what the final result will be and when it will be released"....

confused smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 1, 2018 06:35

Re: Keith in the new German Rolling Stone, Neil McCormick writes for The Telegraph, which published an interview with Keith in February - [iorr.org]

The RS article appears to be culled from that piece in The Telegraph.

Date: June 1, 2018 07:28

Hairball
Ian Billen

Still think they should do a quick B&L pt 2 - would take two to three days in the studio max, and something would be better than nothing.
In the meantime, in Keith's own words "we continue to muddle on. No clue what the final result will be and when it will be released"....

confused smiley

Blue & Lonesome just 'happened'. It was wonderful .. it has magic .. Possibly because it was unplanned and just how it came off at that location in that time.

I think B & L right now is a mistake. too much of a good thing is never good.

B & L was a surprise .. not only to them but to fans. It was a surprise big hit
and it sold well for a long period of time (they didnt think it would do that).

Ya cant recreate those occurrences and that. Its like the best nights out are unplanned ... Yet when everyone plans New Years Eve it is sort of lame.

You have to wait a long while to re approach something like B & L (if ever). It would be a mistake from a marketing perspective as well. We already HAD the blues thing .. Ya gotta let that go for a while after something like that happens.. Ya move on to other things.

Sort of like trying to make Rocky Horror Picture Show part 2 right after .. Mmmmmmm May of been / should of been a one time thing. At any rate doing it right away would make it become tired. A product such as that wouldn't do near as well the second time out back to back... the excitement would be gone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-01 07:30 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 1, 2018 07:34

True, Keith's tone doesn't sound too promising. So it will be 'another Stones studio album in 2019 or 2020' (at best, or if ever)... But it's alright. If the spark is not there, what one can do. Nothing. They don't need to do any other studio album. They've done more than enough of them already. Bonus is bonus.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-01 07:34 by Doxa.

Date: June 1, 2018 08:49

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

confused smiley

Blue & Lonesome just 'happened'. It was wonderful .. it has magic .. Possibly because it was unplanned and just how it came off at that location in that time.

Ya cant recreate those occurrences and that. Its like the best nights out are unplanned ... Yet when everyone plans New Years Eve it is sort of lame.

You have to wait a long while to re approach something like B & L (if ever). It would be a mistake from a marketing perspective as well. We already HAD the blues thing .. Ya gotta let that go for a while after something like that happens.. Ya move on to other things.

Sort of like trying to make Rocky Horror Picture Show part 2 right after .. Mmmmmmm May of been / should of been a one time thing. At any rate doing it right away would make it become tired. A product such as that wouldn't do near as well the second time out back to back... the excitement would be gone.

I wasn't suggesting they could replicate the entire circumstances of what led to Blue and Lonesome, nor was I suggesting that it would have the same overall success. All I was saying it would be nice to have some more blues covers in the interim while they toil away at some originals. Again, something would be better than nothing. Otherwise, you can hold your breath until you turn blue for a new album of originals, but that's not a guarantee that it will ever get completed. Seems the wall they hit was alot thicker than any of us ever imagined, and it's going to take alot more than a few short sessions to break it down before they can get to the other side.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: June 1, 2018 09:05

Perhaps all those yearning for a new Stones album of original songs should consider this.

Given that Stones songs have to a great extent drawn upon sex, drugs, dysfunctional relationships etc would it be becoming for a group of men on the wrong side of 75 heading towards 80 to be writing and singing fresh songs about such subjects.

The Rolling Stones are now too old to play the part that they have previously played. Even if Mick is still banging women a third of his age do we really want to hear them sing about it?

People seem to be hanging on to the idea of a new Stones album as an opportunity for one last hurrah of their own fading youth. They shouldn’t. They should hang onto the memories they have rather than trying to create a new memory which will fall short of their hoped for outcome.

It’s time to put a full stop to the idea of the Stones being current recording artists. Enjoy the legacy and enjoy what’s left of them as a live band.

Date: June 1, 2018 09:46

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

confused smiley

I wasn't suggesting they could replicate the entire circumstances of what led to Blue and Lonesome, nor was I suggesting that it would have the same overall success. All I was saying it would be nice to have some more blues covers in the interim while they toil away at some originals. Again, something would be better than nothing. Otherwise, you can hold your breath until you turn blue for a new album of originals, but that's not a guarantee that it will ever get completed. Seems the wall they hit was alot thicker than any of us ever imagined, and it's going to take alot more than a few short sessions to break it down before they can get to the other side.

The album just may be out by the end of next month .. One never knows... < grinning smiley >

Keith's remark about finishing the album just after the new year never came to fruition for one reason or another. It never happened. Charlie claims they did several sessions .. and Ronnie backed him up on that conversation.

It seems they were not yet 100% satisfied with the material and decided to keep muddling with new approaches and new material.

Perhaps they are banking on a tour in the states next year and they figure releasing an album next year would be the way to go.

Date: June 1, 2018 12:26

Maybe is not only a problem with music, but appropriate lyrics written by people on their 70s

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: June 1, 2018 12:46

If Jagger stopped thinking to have a hit (it's over), and records albums just for fun, people would understand that. He is obsessed with success ..
Keith, Ronnie, Bill or Charlie don't record albums for success but for their own pleasure, music and fans or other people.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 1, 2018 15:13

ouroux58
If Jagger stopped thinking to have a hit (it's over), and records albums just for fun, people would understand that. He is obsessed with success ..

Agreed. What he should really do is record an album of old blues numbers where he can return to his roots, belt out the sort of songs that inspired him in the first place, and play blues harp better than almost anyone.

Of course, Mick would never do that.

Date: June 1, 2018 16:24

At this point, let's face the truth.
Let's forget about any new album til there is some true evidence

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 1, 2018 17:14

Rocky Dijon
ouroux58

Agreed. What he should really do is record an album of old blues numbers where he can return to his roots, belt out the sort of songs that inspired him in the first place, and play blues harp better than almost anyone.

Of course, Mick would never do that.

Haven't they already done that? I mean "Blue and Lonesome". Or do you want a B&L II?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 1, 2018 17:16

My guess is that they will do 4 gigs in the usa in october or november.hit the studio early december for 1 week. Go back in the studio in february 2019. Finish the album in may or june and then will do north and south america.they release the album june 2019.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-01 17:18 by corriecas.

Date: June 1, 2018 19:08

14 years of waiting. The same period from the beginning to some girls

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 1, 2018 19:32

KevinLocksPerm
Perhaps all those yearning for a new Stones album of original songs should consider this.

Given that Stones songs have to a great extent drawn upon sex, drugs, dysfunctional relationships etc would it be becoming for a group of men on the wrong side of 75 heading towards 80 to be writing and singing fresh songs about such subjects.

The Rolling Stones are now too old to play the part that they have previously played. Even if Mick is still banging women a third of his age do we really want to hear them sing about it?

People seem to be hanging on to the idea of a new Stones album as an opportunity for one last hurrah of their own fading youth. They shouldn’t. They should hang onto the memories they have rather than trying to create a new memory which will fall short of their hoped for outcome.

It’s time to put a full stop to the idea of the Stones being current recording artists. Enjoy the legacy and enjoy what’s left of them as a live band.

Disc 2 of Hot Rocks has precisely 2 songs out of 9 that deal with sex head-on: Honky Tonk Women and Brown Sugar. The rest deal with politics, philosophy, abstract ideas, romantic yearnings, etc.

Date: June 1, 2018 19:54

doitywoik
Irix

IanBillen
You say the work on the new album is half-assed and unfocused.

Not quite. I said, "seems to confirm the impression … that …". I think we all more or less agree that the new album is not exactly top priority on their to-do list and they do a little bit here and a little bit there, and then nothing at all for longer intervals. They certainly don’t feel the need to back it with a tour (and possibly even less to back a tour with it), and they had many tours now without an accompanying album (I don’t count in B&L here because that was a lucky one-off that has nothing to do with their "regular" work plan).
Anyway, it would simply seem misguided to me to claim the work on the new album be focussed and energetic.

Ian Billen

More precisely perhaps, our long-running goal is that they produce a new album of originals. winking smiley

bye bye johnny
Re: Keith in the new German Rolling Stone, Neil McCormick writes for The Telegraph, which published an interview with Keith in February - [iorr.org]

The RS article appears to be culled from that piece in The Telegraph.

OK, so it seemed familiar to me for a reason … I see, it was the phone interview when he was sitting in a studio waiting for Mick.

IanBillen

Sort of like trying to make Rocky Horror Picture Show part 2 right after ..

Yeah, certainly true. Even if B&L Reloaded were a good album, the magic of the first one probably wouldn’t be there. Even if it weren’t a blues album but an album of country covers (and even a good one) it would come across as an attempt at cashing in one more time on the covers plot.

On the other hand, Dylan released 5 CDs (three albums) of Sinatra-style songs and got away with it, it seems.

KevinLocksPerm

As far as Mick’s banging habit is concerned, regarding album titles at least I think he climaxed with “A Bigger Bang” and “The Biggest Bang” … grinning smiley How to top that? … Hmm, considering his age, “Sucking In The 70s” comes to mind as a follow-up. But we had that already.

The good thing about not being an English native speaker is that you don’t care much if the lyrics leave a bit to be desired. As long as he spares us from further literary masterpieces such as Hot Stuff …

Date: June 1, 2018 20:51

KeithNacho
14 years of waiting. The same period from the beginning to some girls

And coincidentally, that nearly coincides with the year I was born to when I was 15 - ALOT happened in that time frame I tell ya!
And if we look back at 2005 when ABB was released, it amost seems like ancient history - George W was still president and Tony Blair was still PM.
And imagine, 14 years...that's twice as long as the Beatles entire recording career!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...171172173174175176177178179180181...LastNext
Current Page: 176 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home