Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 702 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Date: August 15, 2023 21:00

Irix
VoodooLounge13

I wonder if a Super Deluxe of B2B will ever materialize.

There aren't many tracks left for that. See the bootleg here - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

I would buy this release:

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
You Don't Have to Mean It
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Flip The Switch (alternate version)
Too Tight (alternate version)
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Might As Well Get Juiced (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 15, 2023 22:42

doitywoik
Hairball
doitywoik
"... the Stones will try to release a new album every 18 months. ..." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Interesting find doitywoik.

If that was written today, it would read: "According to Ronnie... the Stones will try to release a new album every 18 years..." eye popping smiley smiling smiley

Yeah, days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, months turn into years, years turn into ... what actually? The time period between Stones albums? tongue sticking out smiley

VoodooLounge13
Well, that's actually not speaking much to what's left then. I don't really hear many similarities between B2B and ABB. Maybe RFD, but that's about it.

A few years back someone here gave an account of what happened to alleged B2B surplus songs (can't recall whether it was this thread or some other thread), and according to this/these person/s, some of it ended up on ABB etc., but I can't recall which songs exactly. If I happen to dig that thread (or part thereof) out, too, I'll post a link. But I'm not really confident as this was already many years ago.

What's still bugging me after all those years is this follow-up to B2B of which Keith said in 1997 it would be released in 1998. The way I remember the interview, this didn't sound just like some vague idea but rather like the songs were already there. I just would love to know what would have been on that album, according to Keith. -- Why doesn't some interviewer ask him once?
(Of course it would also be interesting to know what Mick would have to say about all this ...)

The cancelled MEMORY HOTEL 1999 album? I bolded something hilarious about it:

Rocky Dijon
... As for MEMORY HOTEL, a source at Virgin had said it was a planned two-part Japanese CD-single for "Memory Motel." The two discs would have been issued separately as CD singles each with "Memory Motel" plus 3 bonus tracks. One of the six bonus tracks was to have been the outtake, "Ever Changing World." That said, Don Was had discussed doing a proper 2-CD set of outtakes from BRIDGES TO BABYLON, VOODOO LOUNGE, and even a bit of STEEL WHEELS. It would have also included some alternate takes such as a straight bluesy version of "Might As Well Get Juiced" without The Dust Brothers' fingerprints on it. Additional overdubs were required to finish some of the material. Allegedly, Keith was up for it, but Mick wasn't. Don has suggested returning to the project to Universal several times over the last few years.

Mind you, others will dismiss all I have said as completely wrong.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 23:42

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
I wonder if a Super Deluxe of B2B will ever materialize. What were these complicated circumstances under which it was recorded? Was it just more of the typical Mick-Keef drama?

You can read about the making of the album here:

[timeisonourside.com]

Thanks!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 16, 2023 00:22

Bridges is a great album, Voodoo and Steel Wheels have some great songs. Would like a deluxe of those albums.Iā€™d like to hear Babyface version of All Over Me and the outtakes from the Continental Drift Sessions

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 16, 2023 02:22

DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

There aren't many tracks left for that. See the bootleg here - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

You're missing Anyway You Look At It, which not only comes from the B2B sessions but also is a truly great ballad (Keith should have sung it, though).
As for potential B2B leftovers on ABB, I could imagine that This Place Is Empty began its life at the time of the B2B sessions, it sounds like a close cousin to Anyway You Look At It.

Date: August 16, 2023 02:25

GasLightStreet
The cancelled MEMORY HOTEL 1999 album? I bolded something hilarious about it:

Rocky Dijon
... As for MEMORY HOTEL, a source at Virgin had said it was a planned two-part Japanese CD-single for "Memory Motel." The two discs would have been issued separately as CD singles each with "Memory Motel" plus 3 bonus tracks. One of the six bonus tracks was to have been the outtake, "Ever Changing World." That said, Don Was had discussed doing a proper 2-CD set of outtakes from BRIDGES TO BABYLON, VOODOO LOUNGE, and even a bit of STEEL WHEELS. It would have also included some alternate takes such as a straight bluesy version of "Might As Well Get Juiced" without The Dust Brothers' fingerprints on it. Additional overdubs were required to finish some of the material. Allegedly, Keith was up for it, but Mick wasn't. Don has suggested returning to the project to Universal several times over the last few years.

Mind you, others will dismiss all I have said as completely wrong.

[iorr.org]

Thanks for linking the Memory H/Motel thread! Bells are beginning to ring ...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 16, 2023 02:37

doitywoik
treaclefingers
As a lifelong fan, even I haven't bought the newest live album, GRRR. They've flooded the market with these releases and even if you're of the opinion, 'bring it on', realistically it's hard to get excited about a new release when there is a plethora of releases coming at you all the time, coloured vinyl box sets, boxed singles sets, new SHM catalogue releases, superdeluxe box sets, the live albums. I'm talking since 2009's GYYYO. It's been nonstop. I don't think there is another artist that has had this much material made available.

It's not a complaint, it's great. BUT, supply is clearly exceeding demand at this point. A new album of new material would definitely be viewed differently...with a hit single please.

I think that live releases from "vintage groups/artists" have become a market (or market segment) quite of its own in more recent times. Just consider the tons of live shows that e.g. the Grateful Dead or King Crimson are putting out in the form of box sets or in release series such as Dick/Dave's Picks or the King Crimson Collectors' Club. Obviously they are being bought and generate at least more revenue than the money it cost to produce them. Also the Zappa people have put out quite some live or other hitherto unreleased stuff in recent years. Compared to all that, the Stones' output of live albums looks rather meagre. (Also I'm not sure if Stones fans would buy umpty-CD box sets of a complete tour.)

The difference is, you won't get a New Album of new material from the Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa or (in all likelihood also) King Crimson. But you can still get a new album of new material from the Stones. I, too, think that that's something to be viewed differently.

I don't disagree with you but my point was that with a saturation of live material...so much available, it becomes difficult to sell in big numbers as people are satiated. You might get a novelty release like El Mocambo (and I'm not even sure how that sold, presumably well) that would sell well but a Bridges to Bremen or Licks NY...it's not going to have same 'must have' vibe when there are so many other options with 80% of the setlist being the same.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that these new live releases become harder to sell and the numbers justify what I'm saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-16 16:42 by treaclefingers.

Date: August 16, 2023 09:12

doitywoik
DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

You're missing Anyway You Look At It, which not only comes from the B2B sessions but also is a truly great ballad (Keith should have sung it, though).
As for potential B2B leftovers on ABB, I could imagine that This Place Is Empty began its life at the time of the B2B sessions, it sounds like a close cousin to Anyway You Look At It.

Yes indeed, a good one! Some of the single remixes could be added, too (ASMB, SOM).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-16 09:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: August 16, 2023 10:11

And include a dvd of the Double Door Club Gig from 1997 in Chicago in the B2B Deluxe Box.

Date: August 16, 2023 14:14

Stoneage
I wonder who is going to take over the brand when the band is gone? I'm sure they will continue to release vault recordings, re-releases and best of albums (and other stuff) for a long time after that.
But I'm sure Sir Michael already has planned the handover. The brand is a virtual gold mine.

For sure there will be releases of vault recordings! To me, the question is just: What is there in the vault that can be released more or less right the way it is? Certainly a lot of live shows that have been recorded properly, I'm rather wondering about studio stuff. Perhaps some alternative versions or mixes of released songs or rare b-sides or so, but are there any fully finished lost albums, or how many fully finished lost songs are there really? My impression is that there is perhaps a number (lot?) of unreleased songs, but the way the Stones used to work, they are not really finished in such a way that they could be released without much further a-do. Like, missing vocals, or still overdubs needed. Once Mick is no longer around to provide a missing vocal track, or noone is left to do the overdubs, or write and record the missing bridge or middle eight or so, what are they gonna do? Let Mick's vocals be done by some impersonator or AI? Do it the Alan Douglas way (Jimi Hendrix) and bring in some studio musicians to finish songs or "improve" existing instrumental tracks? Have the songs be optimized by AI altogether? Some of us have possibly enough of a lifespan left to find out ...

treaclefingers
I don't disagree with you but my point was that with a saturation of live material...so much available, it becomes difficult to sell in big numbers as people are satiated. You might get a novelty release like El Mocambo (and I'm even sure how that sold, presumably well) that would sell well but a Bridges to Bremen or Licks NY...it's not going to have same 'must have' vibe when there are so many other options with 80% of the setlist being the same.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that these new live releases become harder to sell and the numbers justify what I'm saying.

You are certainly right here, sorry if I came across differently. The examples I mentioned (Zappa, Dead, Crim) certainly don't sell these live releases in such numbers that they are awarded gold or platinum records. In Zappa's case it's possibly just a few thousand units, and also the latest Dead live box sets came as limited editions. For Dave's Picks there is a subscription service. They certainly make enough money selling these sets to cover the production costs with a little plus, but I'm not sure how far it goes beyond that.
With the Grateful Dead, another factor to consider is possibly that Dead Heads for decades had a culture of obsessively collecting and trading tapes from live shows, and my impression is that this is not so much the case with Stones fans. The folks who bought the box sets of, say, the complete spring 1990 tour certainly had them all in their tape collection at home already (be it actual tape cassettes or file sets).
Myself, I also have a few Dick's/Dave's Picks or other live releases (Without A Net, Dozin' at the Nick, etc.), but - as you say - at some point you're satiated. I mean, how often does/could one really listen to all those live shows, and how much shelf space could you spare to put the CDs in?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 16, 2023 15:42

DandelionPowderman
doitywoik
DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

Yes indeed, a good one! Some of the single remixes could be added, too (ASMB, SOM).

And then there is this "Out Of Control (Don Was Live Remix)", a unique live recording from Madison Square Garden, not available anywhere else, not available commercially - recorded live, but audience completely mixed out, that is utterly fantastic & cries for inclusion on such a set:

Virgin ā€“ DPRO-13159

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 16, 2023 15:48

DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

I always wonder how a song like Already Over Me can be so ignored, I think they've played it so few times that it's unfair to me, it's much better than many other famous ballads.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 16, 2023 16:17

Only been played 3 times total.

Date: August 16, 2023 16:35

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
doitywoik
DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

And then there is this "Out Of Control (Don Was Live Remix)", a unique live recording from Madison Square Garden, not available anywhere else, not available commercially - recorded live, but audience completely mixed out, that is utterly fantastic & cries for inclusion on such a set:

Virgin ā€“ DPRO-13159

I have this release!! Lots of interesting remixes for OOC

Date: August 16, 2023 16:35

Testify
DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

I always wonder how a song like Already Over Me can be so ignored, I think they've played it so few times that it's unfair to me, it's much better than many other famous ballads.

All the ballads on B2B are stellar, IMHO.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 16, 2023 22:50

I think they should release a live album.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 16, 2023 23:32

tomcat2006

Well we almost certainly WILL get another live album sometime. Of course the date of recording might not be anytime recently...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2023 00:55

GerardHennessy
tomcat2006

Well we almost certainly WILL get another live album sometime. Of course the date of recording might not be anytime recently...

If it's post Wyman, I don't care. I already have San Jose '99, Four Flicks, and the Biggest Bang. The only one I watch now from post Wyman is San Jose.

Date: August 17, 2023 06:15

No Security was a great tour!!!! And still my favorite tour shirt!!!

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: August 17, 2023 06:32

Can someone redirect me to the page dealing with new Stones album in 2023?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 17, 2023 06:42

GerardHennessy
tomcat2006

Miami FL - Hard Rock Stadium, Aug 30, 2019 - Charlies very last show.
While it might be similar to dozens of other shows prior to that date as far as setlist and overall performance, the fact is it was Charlies last show, and in that sense it is historical.
It would also be a fitting tribute to Charlie - probably even more of a proper tribute than the new album is supposed to be with the multitude of special guests.
Almost four years ago to the day now since Miami '19, the last of the core band of Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie...hoping they officially release it some day!

Date: August 17, 2023 07:16

Hairball

Almost four years ago to the day now since Miami '19

See? Counting isn't that hard! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-17 07:17 by Topi.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 17, 2023 13:15

Isn't this thread about the new album? I'm getting confused...

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 17, 2023 13:45

Which new album? It's as fabled as Atlantis...

Date: August 17, 2023 14:06

retired_dog
Isn't this thread about the new album? I'm getting confused...

It's about the new album, and, in that connection, about the universe as such. grinning smiley

Date: August 17, 2023 14:39

tomcat2006

Which new album? It's as fabled as Atlantis...

Maybe they could have Donovan as a guest and do a cover of "Atlantis".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 17, 2023 15:42

DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

Couldn't one put most of this together using FFSO and various live releases?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: August 17, 2023 15:50

Elmo Lewis
DandelionPowderman
Irix
VoodooLounge13

Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Already Over Me
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Always Suffering
Too Tight
Thief in the Night
How Can I Stop

Sanctuary
20 Nil
High Or Low
Dream About
Desperate Man
Lowdown (live)
How Can I Stop (live)
Already Over Me (Live)

Couldn't one put most of this together using FFSO and various live releases?

Yep + High Or Low (the infamous never heard track) and the last four live tracks in good quality.

Date: August 18, 2023 17:08

Here's an old thread about High Or Low and other B2B outtakes (sorry if someone posted that here already and I overlooked it):

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 18, 2023 17:21

SO, the 'new album thread' has morphed into a discussion about the possibilities of a deluxe Bridges to Babylon? We can't look forward, seemingly, so backwards will have to do! grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 702 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home