Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 700 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 12, 2023 00:11

paulywaul
NashvilleBlues
paulywaul
[iorr.org]

And this is another thread that needs to be closed, nearly 700 pages of speculative rubbish - in the absence of anything concrete from the band !

Here are two options:
Ignore the thread
Start your own fan site

You forgot the third ....

Stay right here and comment as one sees fit ! OK with you Sir ?

Haha! What? You wanted to close down the thread.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 12, 2023 01:04

Third is fine with me. I think most of us agree. smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2023 01:13

GerardHennessy
erad
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon
georgelicks
Taylor Swift announced today the release of her album 1989 for 10/26 and it will be the release of the year, already in less than 12 hours it sold 140,000 copies in pre-sale only in the United States, so:

1- The Stones album will not come out on 10/26 or 11/03, with such high sales in the first 2 weeks, the Stones album (and any other release) does not have the slightest chance and will be totally overshadowed

2- In order for it to come out earlier, like 10/20, it has to be announced next week at the latest, if there are no news we are going to launch for 11/17 or 11/24 at the earliest, seeing the timeline of announcement and release of albums today.

No disrespect intended to Soldatti, but they are not the same markets at all. The Stones having a quick #2 debut before the album drops like a lead balloon on the charts is probably the best Polydor and Interscope are expecting anyway. I would imagine if they have a release date earmarked, competition from the biggest pop star in the world isn't a consideration.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to shoot for a No. 1 debut. If they find the right landing spot, it could happen.

Of course, they also want to maximize sales — which means not dropping it in August.

As I speculated above, if we don’t hear something by Labor Day, that would indicate to me that they’re waiting until next year.

I work as a buyer in a big record store (maybe biggest in Australasia). Unfortunately imo when/if the new album is released it has no chance of hitting #1. The Stones are largely irrelevant, we don't sell much of their stuff new anymore and in some cases the newer releases (Grr Live, Licked in NYC etc) I have had to mark down to move them.

Now an album of new tunes is certainly a different proposition to yet another live album, but the longer time goes on, the returns are becoming more and more diminishing. Younger people simply don't care or don't know about the Stones.

They have faded into irrelevancy and as much as I love them are now just one of many nostalgia acts resting on their laurels. Maybe if their had been more of an effort to release new music over the years since ABB it would be different but 18 years is an eternity.

Sadly true! An articulate and erudite summary of the realities that now obtain where The Stones, and specifically the 'new' album, are concerned. I'm using quotation marks because it no longer feels new. Even to me, and I am a lifelong, and passionate Stones fan. The endless faffing about. The endless rumours. The endless hints and leaks. The endless teasing and tantalising. It really is extraordinarily unnecessary.

The new album will sell to dyed-in-the-wool Stones fans. And to very few other people. The hordes that attend their concerts simply don't buy Stones albums. In any form. Except Hot Rocks of course. Because the concert goes only want to hear the warhorses. And most of them own them already. Many times over in some cases. So it does not matter, one iota, when the thing is released. At least not in a sales sense. So get it out there for Heaven's sake. We have waited long enough.

I'm tempted to suggest that The Stones might like to show a wee bit of understanding and respect to their die hard fans. Do they owe us anything? Opinions will vary. and many will say they do not. I disagree, but gently. I have no wish to be inappropriate, disrespectful, or act with a sense of entitlement, However, sixty years, and counting, of fanship, expenditure, love and impassioned support should count for SOMETHING.

Surely?

Honest and thought-provoking posts GerrardHennesy and erad - thanks to you both.thumbs up

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 12, 2023 01:28

Blue & Lonesome was a #1 album in the UK though, I'm sure an album of new material will be #1 for all that's still worth.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 12, 2023 02:09

I was honestly surprised that Blue & Lonesome was such a success, I certainly hadn't expected that and wouldn't know what factor(s) to attribute it to. Yet I am somewhat hesitant to expect similar success with the new album. But who knows.

BTW, we hit page 700 now ... hot smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2023 02:30

doitywoik
I was honestly surprised that Blue & Lonesome was such a success, I certainly hadn't expected that and wouldn't know what factor(s) to attribute it to. Yet I am somewhat hesitant to expect similar success with the new album. But who knows.

BTW, we hit page 700 now ... hot smiley

700!!!!!eye popping smileysmiling smiley

As for Blue and Lonesome....

I remember when it was released, AmazonUK had a temporary special discounted sale price for the "deluxe" cd version at £10 (apprx. $15+) to help boost sales, lowered from the retail of apprx. £35 .
Bought three of them, keeping one for myself (now gathering dust), and giving away the others as X-mas gifts, so have a sense of pride in knowing I helped the Stones reach #1 on the UK charts.winking smiley
Truth be told there was nothing much 'deluxe' about them as it was a single cd, and stuffed with with a mini-photo booklet. Was it worth £10? Maybe so, but nothing much more than that.
As for the US charts, B&L didn't do quite as well only making it to a semi-respectable #4 in the Billboard 200 (according to wiki) which isn't too shabby imo. And of course it also won a Grammy
How will overall sales of the new album do in the US if it's ever released? Possibly similar to B&L, but no doubt will be an uphill battle if it's going against the avalanche that is Taylor Swift.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 12, 2023 02:33

NilsHolgersson
Blue & Lonesome was a #1 album in the UK though, I'm sure an album of new material will be #1 for all that's still worth.

It all depends on the week of release and the competition, in England it is easier to be #1 but in the United States any rapper throws you an album out of the blue with 25 songs on streaming and leaves you out of the race.

B&L moved 123,000 during the first week in the US, a very good number, but between Christmas records and various rappers it didn't go above #4 on the chart.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 12, 2023 05:58

Sounds like the Stones should release an album of Christmas raps ...

The Swift/Rap factor may come into play also in European countries. I just checked the Austrian top 75 album charts: Taylor Swift: 8 albums, RAF Camora (rapper): 5 albums, Rammstein: 5 albums.
At least, 40 Licks is number 40 ...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2023 07:51

They could move some new album units but they'd have to do a lot of promotion. Late night chat shows. Maybe Mick hosting SNL again. These things are impossible right now with the writer's strike.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: August 12, 2023 07:58

Hairball

700!!!!!eye popping smileysmiling smiley

I read this entire thread at least 2 or 3 times a month.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 12, 2023 09:39

I was not surprised but the success of Blue and Lonesome. Since they reconvened in '89 the band's best music, IMHO has been blues - 'Break the Spell', 'Fancyman Blues', 'the Storm', 'Back of my Hand' etc. if you look at albums like Beggars, Bleed and Exile, there is a lot of blues. It's where Mick and Keith find common ground, I hope we get a decent amount of blues on the new album.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 12, 2023 09:46

Could the success of Blue & Lonesome be partly due to a sense that they’re a little more en vogue these day’s? I’ve often felt that, over the last decade, there’s been a growing nostalgia and recognition for and of the Stones. This - in my opinion - wasn’t quite there for the releases of Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang. I think that their 50th anniversary was a turning-point in their popularity, personally.

In a nutshell: I think the Rolling Stones are more popular now, than they were in the mid-2000’s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-12 09:48 by Big Al.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 12, 2023 11:42

Big Al
Could the success of Blue & Lonesome be partly due to a sense that they’re a little more en vogue these day’s? I’ve often felt that, over the last decade, there’s been a growing nostalgia and recognition for and of the Stones. This - in my opinion - wasn’t quite there for the releases of Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang. I think that their 50th anniversary was a turning-point in their popularity, personally.

In a nutshell: I think the Rolling Stones are more popular now, than they were in the mid-2000’s.

This is absolutely true.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 12, 2023 12:10

Bjorn
Third is fine with me. I think most of us agree. smiling smiley

Fourth option:

Close all the other threads except this one. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-12 12:13 by Topi.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 12, 2023 12:59

georgelicks
NilsHolgersson

It all depends on the week of release and the competition, in England it is easier to be #1 but in the United States any rapper throws you an album out of the blue with 25 songs on streaming and leaves you out of the race.

B&L moved 123,000 during the first week in the US, a very good number, but between Christmas records and various rappers it didn't go above #4 on the chart.
At this stage in their career, having made hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe they should get satisfaction out of releasing music they feel is artistically good or even great rather than worrying about whether it has a higher spot on the charts than Taylor Swift or some rap garbage

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 12, 2023 13:36

Taylor1
georgelicks
NilsHolgersson

At this stage in their career, having made hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe they should get satisfaction out of releasing music they feel is artistically good or even great rather than worrying about whether it has a higher spot on the charts than Taylor Swift or some rap garbage
I think the Stones have always wanted to make music that excits them but their ultimate goal is to please as many people as possible; to make music that is meaningful to the self but hoping to turn on others on what they believe is great is a noble aim.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 12, 2023 16:49

Charts? Never...since vinyl slowly...said goooodbye. I mean - when you had to BUY something beautiful. And lovely girls stood there in the record store. Holding albums in their hands. Reading. Ah! STOP! I know - but CD was the beginning of the end...It´s not 1981, 1983 and Tattoo and Undercover anymore. Charts?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 12, 2023 17:24

Hairball
NilsHolgersson
It could be like Barbenheimer: the release of Taylor Swift and the Rolling Stones new albums in the same week. Fans should listen to both albums back to back. #rollingswift a new viral theme.

Indeed an interesting turn of events in this never ending saga aka the making of the new Stones album...
It seems that either the Stones have to sit it out while Taylor Swift dominates the world, or they attempt a preemptive strike to soften the blow from the Swift onslaught....

The Stones might have done themselves a favor by having Taylor Swift as a special guest on their new album - it could have given them a fighting chance in the charts. If you can't beat 'em, have them join your band.
I'd bet that all the T.Swift fans who are sweeping up her new album would have also picked up the new Stones album just to hear her contribution (s). As a bonus. they might have also become lifelong Stones fans!
As noted earlier, Taylor Swift has performed with The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger has performed with Taylor Swift. Seems it would have been a win-win situation for both, but even more so for the Stones.
As it stands, it appears the Stones are playing second fiddle to Taylor Swift, and I'm not sure waiting a week or two before or after her release will make much of a difference anyways in the current music climate.

Whatever the case, now back to waiting and wondering what will happen next as the world turns around Taylor Swift.
Hopefully an announcement for the new Stones album next week, otherwise who know what other detours lie ahead.

#rollingswift...smiling smiley

This is truly Taylor Swift's moment. A cultural mega-phenomenon. Check this out:Taylor Swift Unites America

Drew

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 12, 2023 17:31

NilsHolgersson
powerage78
Posterity will remember that a former Beatle played on the Stones last studio album (with original material).

And they wrote their first song (I Wanna Be Your Man)

wow, seems the Stones owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Paul McCartney and his backing band, the Beetles.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 12, 2023 17:38

GerardHennessy
erad
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon
georgelicks
Taylor Swift announced today the release of her album 1989 for 10/26 and it will be the release of the year, already in less than 12 hours it sold 140,000 copies in pre-sale only in the United States, so:

1- The Stones album will not come out on 10/26 or 11/03, with such high sales in the first 2 weeks, the Stones album (and any other release) does not have the slightest chance and will be totally overshadowed

2- In order for it to come out earlier, like 10/20, it has to be announced next week at the latest, if there are no news we are going to launch for 11/17 or 11/24 at the earliest, seeing the timeline of announcement and release of albums today.

No disrespect intended to Soldatti, but they are not the same markets at all. The Stones having a quick #2 debut before the album drops like a lead balloon on the charts is probably the best Polydor and Interscope are expecting anyway. I would imagine if they have a release date earmarked, competition from the biggest pop star in the world isn't a consideration.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to shoot for a No. 1 debut. If they find the right landing spot, it could happen.

Of course, they also want to maximize sales — which means not dropping it in August.

As I speculated above, if we don’t hear something by Labor Day, that would indicate to me that they’re waiting until next year.

I work as a buyer in a big record store (maybe biggest in Australasia). Unfortunately imo when/if the new album is released it has no chance of hitting #1. The Stones are largely irrelevant, we don't sell much of their stuff new anymore and in some cases the newer releases (Grr Live, Licked in NYC etc) I have had to mark down to move them.

Now an album of new tunes is certainly a different proposition to yet another live album, but the longer time goes on, the returns are becoming more and more diminishing. Younger people simply don't care or don't know about the Stones.

They have faded into irrelevancy and as much as I love them are now just one of many nostalgia acts resting on their laurels. Maybe if their had been more of an effort to release new music over the years since ABB it would be different but 18 years is an eternity.

Sadly true! An articulate and erudite summary of the realities that now obtain where The Stones, and specifically the 'new' album, are concerned. I'm using quotation marks because it no longer feels new. Even to me, and I am a lifelong, and passionate Stones fan. The endless faffing about. The endless rumours. The endless hints and leaks. The endless teasing and tantalising. It really is extraordinarily unnecessary.

The new album will sell to dyed-in-the-wool Stones fans. And to very few other people. The hordes that attend their concerts simply don't buy Stones albums. In any form. Except Hot Rocks of course. Because the concert goes only want to hear the warhorses. And most of them own them already. Many times over in some cases. So it does not matter, one iota, when the thing is released. At least not in a sales sense. So get it out there for Heaven's sake. We have waited long enough.

I'm tempted to suggest that The Stones might like to show a wee bit of understanding and respect to their die hard fans. Do they owe us anything? Opinions will vary. and many will say they do not. I disagree, but gently. I have no wish to be inappropriate, disrespectful, or act with a sense of entitlement, However, sixty years, and counting, of fanship, expenditure, love and impassioned support should count for SOMETHING.

Surely?

As a lifelong fan, even I haven't bought the newest live album, GRRR. They've flooded the market with these releases and even if you're of the opinion, 'bring it on', realistically it's hard to get excited about a new release when there is a plethora of releases coming at you all the time, coloured vinyl box sets, boxed singles sets, new SHM catalogue releases, superdeluxe box sets, the live albums. I'm talking since 2009's GYYYO. It's been nonstop. I don't think there is another artist that has had this much material made available.

It's not a complaint, it's great. BUT, supply is clearly exceeding demand at this point. A new album of new material would definitely be viewed differently...with a hit single please.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 12, 2023 18:06

Taylor1
georgelicks
NilsHolgersson

Agree 100%. Totally!. We can agree or disagree about whether The Stones are more, or less, popular now compared to five/ten/twenty years ago. Frankly I think it is around the same. But, whatever the answer, it does not matter ONE IOTA in terms of chart placings. Or sales. Or fame. Or income generated. In truth there is little or no money to be made from record sales now. Any benefit will accrue in terms of concert attendances, tickets sold, and merchandise shifted. And The Stones will draw crowds regardless of any new album.

Blue & Lonesome sold decently, and was a Number 1 album in the UK and Top 5 in The States. I wonder just how many new people it attracted to gigs? The fact that The Stones only ever played a maximum of three tracks from it on stage tells you just how significant it was to those in attendance. Very very little!

As a long time fan I'd love The Stones to have a big hit album. A mega million seller. Something that gets talked about A LOT. Sadly it ain't gonna happen. There will be a brief flurry of excitement amongst those of us here. It will pop into the charts for a week or two. And then sink without a trace. And the water will close over its head, and apart from ourselves, no one will even know. Or care.

So my point is, why all the delays and postponements and prevarications? Why all the waiting for a better release date? Okay, avoid August. For obvious reasons. But there ain't no ideal date otherwise. Every week a Taylor Swift, or a Morgan Wallen, or some rapper I never heard of, but millions have, will release something that will grab popular attention. One might say wait until Christmas! Why? To be swamped by the deluge of schlock that appears mid November? Okay then, wait until the next tour? But that will not be until 2024!

And so the wait goes on. And on. And on.....

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 12, 2023 18:35

They haven’t prevaricated. In fact, they have gone out of their way to tamp down anticipation (“Don’t hold your breath”; “very early days”). The hints that you find tantalizing are almost entirely a product of circle-jerk speculation found in these pages. Yes, there have been social media clips here and there of Mick and Keith in the studio. And people like Ben Waters and Paul McCartney have talked openly about their involvement. That is their prerogative; I’m guessing they were asked to be discreet, but, short of that, they’re not subject to nondisclosure agreements.

The reasons for the long delay are fairly obvious, I think. You can infer it from McCartney’s mention of a need for a “mediator.” Fill in the blanks: Mick and Keith had a profoundly difficult time agreeing on what a Stones album should sound like and, possibly, if it’s even necessary to release a new one. Keith contemplated retiring altogether. He has suffered an incremental but clearly perceptible decline in his playing abilities and general physical health. He doesn’t write much anymore. I would be shocked if even plays much at home anymore. And we know he is often not impressed with the material Mick writes on his own.

Keith’s beau ideal of a Rolling Stones song is one that he begins and Mick finishes. And so they came up with a glacially slow-paced workaround: Keith and Steve fleshing out stuff in New York to ensure that the new album is closer to a 50/50 split than “A Bigger Bang” was.

In the context of a sixty-year career, whether this thing comes out in October 2023 or April 2024 means very little.

It’s only frustrating for the obsessive-compulsive likes of us, who barely constitute a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

Date: August 12, 2023 18:49

drewmaster
Hairball
NilsHolgersson
It could be like Barbenheimer: the release of Taylor Swift and the Rolling Stones new albums in the same week. Fans should listen to both albums back to back. #rollingswift a new viral theme.

Indeed an interesting turn of events in this never ending saga aka the making of the new Stones album...
It seems that either the Stones have to sit it out while Taylor Swift dominates the world, or they attempt a preemptive strike to soften the blow from the Swift onslaught....

The Stones might have done themselves a favor by having Taylor Swift as a special guest on their new album - it could have given them a fighting chance in the charts. If you can't beat 'em, have them join your band.
I'd bet that all the T.Swift fans who are sweeping up her new album would have also picked up the new Stones album just to hear her contribution (s). As a bonus. they might have also become lifelong Stones fans!
As noted earlier, Taylor Swift has performed with The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger has performed with Taylor Swift. Seems it would have been a win-win situation for both, but even more so for the Stones.
As it stands, it appears the Stones are playing second fiddle to Taylor Swift, and I'm not sure waiting a week or two before or after her release will make much of a difference anyways in the current music climate.

Whatever the case, now back to waiting and wondering what will happen next as the world turns around Taylor Swift.
Hopefully an announcement for the new Stones album next week, otherwise who know what other detours lie ahead.

This is truly Taylor Swift's moment. A cultural mega-phenomenon. Check this out:Taylor Swift Unites America

Drew
When I was a teenager in the late1980s, no guy in my school would go to a Taylor Swift Concert.They’d get beat up.It was the Stones, U2, Allman Brothers, Van Halen, Guns and Roses.Ithink she has a huge following of females of all ages

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 12, 2023 18:51

Taylor1
drewmaster
Hairball
NilsHolgersson

Drew
When I was a teenager in the late1980s, no guy in my school would go to a Taylor Swift Concert.

She was born in 1989 smoking smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 12, 2023 18:56

This has always been a nice forum but my participation on here has not helped influencing the band in producing any further new material than they would have done otherwise. I was here before "A Bigger Bang" came out. They could have put out so much more new material if they had actually wanted to. But they do not. They very much have got their finger on the pulse of the market. And they are making the most earnings from their legacy as they can. As much as I would have loved to have witnessed a regular release swchedule througout these years, it did not happen. And if it did not happen, it's not likely to happen now that they are unfortunately, one down.Are they going to finish what they started in the studio? MAybe, but either way, it's only going to be a bookend anyway. And this is merely a hype thread like there is one on every online forum of every big rock band in the world which consists of members of wealth and taste.

Date: August 12, 2023 19:01

It's now time to turn this marvelous 700-page thread of speculation, frustration, and incredibly delayed gratification into an e-book - it'll sell like hot cakes. Or at least rock cakes...

Date: August 12, 2023 19:17

The Stones have given us more than we deserve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-12 19:19 by Taylor1.

Date: August 12, 2023 22:01

GerardHennessy
erad
MelBelli
Rocky Dijon
georgelicks

Surely?

Really good post by you G.H. After 700 pages (and like all others I just can't help myself - I keep checking it) it is hard to say something of relevance. But you're right - no genius marketing ploy is needed here. We're going to buy the album; it's going to be us, and probably not too many others. So July or oCTOBER don't make a bit of difference.
Unless we're dealing with a case of "Hey Mick, hold everything. I just came up with the greatest riff since Satisfaction". But I don't really think so.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 12, 2023 22:50

Taylor1
drewmaster
Hairball
NilsHolgersson

Drew
When I was a teenager in the late1980s, no guy in my school would go to a Taylor Swift Concert.They’d get beat up.It was the Stones, U2, Allman Brothers, Van Halen, Guns and Roses.Ithink she has a huge following of females of all ages

i assure you she has a very large following amongst teenage boys and young men as well

at least that's what i've observed

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2023 22:57

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
drewmaster
Hairball
NilsHolgersson

Drew

i assure you she has a very large following amongst teenage boys and young men as well

at least that's what i've observed

Well, it was females who got the Beatles off the ground. They were the vast majority at their concerts. I think the first female concert I went to was Linda Ronstadt in 1978. I was embarrassed for my city, but it might have happened elsewhere. Instead of enjoying her as an artist the men whistled and yelled at her like it was a strip club.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...694695696697698699700701702703704Next
Current Page: 700 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home