Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...687688689690691692693694695696697...LastNext
Current Page: 692 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2023 20:11

Rocky Dijon
The key to hang on to is that an album is more than just a collection of songs. That way we can ignore the more than an album's worth of newly recorded material released between 2010 and 2021 or even the blues covers album recorded 2015/2016. The negativity of reiterating "it's been so long" allows you to ignore the fact that the last original studio album saw the band at retirement age and they've gone on to make three album's worth of material since then. It's important we stay negative and say wrinkly rocker or add up their ages because that's what matters. It's really important we post that on a site like IORR as many times a day as possible so that the only wall we hit is the one we already determined to knock down years ago when we first started our Drakonian agenda against the site. That's what really matters...to some people at least.

I think you missed "Strolling Bones". Popular since 1989 if memory serves.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 27, 2023 21:17

VoodooLounge13
Oh yes, the new Stones' album has eclipsed Chinese Democracy many times over at this point.

The main difference being is that the Stones album has the two main songwriters with Keith and Mick steering the ship, and will undoubtedly have some redeeming qualities to it.
In contrast, the G'N'R' album was basically an Axl Rose solo project bogged down by years of his massive ego getting in the way, and other than becoming the butt of many jokes, has since been forgotten.

doitywoik
Let's see if (after a while) there will be a Wikipedia entry giving us all the details of what really went on over the years of making the album.

I think a simple picture of a giant wall would do the trick detailing the lengthy saga - maybe with the caption - "18 years and counting..."
Either that, or what Spud mentioned ...a transcript of this entire thread including the numerous edits from bv in the very first post.> New Stones album for 2017, 2018. 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 27, 2023 21:31

Won't have to wait much longer to finally actually reach that 18-year mark. Less than six weeks!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 27, 2023 22:11

Man, my youngest kid wasn't even born yet the last time the Stones released an album of originals!! Holy Mackerel!!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 27, 2023 22:47

VoodooLounge13
Man, my youngest kid wasn't even born yet the last time the Stones released an album of originals!! Holy Mackerel!!

and i was 14 and now i'm 32eye popping smiley

Date: July 27, 2023 23:21

ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13

and i was 14 and now i'm 32eye popping smiley

I was still in my 20's!!! Holy Sh!!! Now that REALLY does put things in perspective!! Damn. I'm in my 40's now!!!! WOW. Think I'll give Chinese Democracy a spin just because grinning smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 28, 2023 01:54

Anyone here on a Guns n’ Roses forum? Considering the fact that Chinese Democracy finally came out in 2008, they should have a new album thread too, somewhere in the area of 15 years and counting. winking smiley

Date: July 28, 2023 02:16

doitywoik
Hairball
doitywoik
In an article posted in another thread
SomeTorontoGirl
[https://www.everythingzoomer.com/arts-entertainment/2023/07/25/mick-jagger-at-80-what-we-can-learn-about-longevity-from-the-legendary-rolling-stones-frontman/
we read:

"And the Rolling Stones even reportedly have a new album of original tunes — their first in nearly two decades — due later this year."

Note the use of the hearsay evidential "reportedly" and the less precise time indication "later this year" ...

("Reportedly" refers to this source: [www.barrons.com], where they say:
"The remaining members [i.e. sans Charlie] plan to release a new album in tribute to their late drummer later this year, the first LP of original material since "A Bigger Bang" in 2005. It will reportedly feature Beatles legend Paul McCartney and former Stones bassist Bill Wyman, 86, more than 30 years after his departure from the band."
That link has possibly been posted already somewhere above.)

..."a new album of original tunes — their first in nearly two decades"

"...the first LP of original material since "A Bigger Bang" in 2005"

Seems the extraordinary length of time between albums is what the press will be focusing on most when this album is finally released, just as they did when the McCartney collaboration was confirmed.
It's definitely not of the norm to have such a prolonged gap...a lifetime ago...many, many years ago....longer than the amount of time between their first album and Tattoo You. Amazing.
Looking forward to it whenever they release it...it will be a celebration and a sigh of relief at the same time...for the band and the fans alike.

Maybe even for the press - at least for those writers who were hinting at a new album for the past so-and-so many years.

Yes, I recall several members of the press the last couple of years who were sounding slightly annoyed with this lengthy process - can't blame them really.
For the sake of the Stones (and us fans), can only hope those disgruntled and disillusioned writers/critics can keep an open mind and stay level headed when giving their reviews the same way most of us here will.
But I can imagine there will be some critics who would deduct a half a star for each year that has passed without the new album, in which case the Stones are already in a deep hole with an uphill battle to climb.
As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they will actually finish and release the album some day will earn them many thanks and praise, and if Living in a Ghost Town is anything to go by, we might be in for a real treat.
As the old saying goes, good things come to those who wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait!!!smiling smiley

Date: July 28, 2023 07:14

Hairball

As the old saying goes, good things come to those who wait...

And count.

Date: July 28, 2023 07:18

doitywoik
Anyone here on a Guns n’ Roses forum? Considering the fact that Chinese Democracy finally came out in 2008, they should have a new album thread too, somewhere in the area of 15 years and counting. winking smiley

They’ve been working on a new album and the first single should be coming out really soon. From what I’ve read, the material is pretty damn good….in the vein of Appetite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 07:18 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: July 28, 2023 07:36

VoodooLounge13
doitywoik

They’ve been working on a new album and the first single should be coming out really soon. From what I’ve read, the material is pretty damn good….in the vein of Appetite.

15 years and counting......wow...just hope they don't hit a wall!!! eye popping smiley
Looking forward to hearing what they've come up with after all these years...both Guns n’ Roses and the Stones!

Hard to believe it's been 34 years since I saw them open for the Stones at the LA Coliseum way back in 1989...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 07:38 by Hairball.

Date: July 28, 2023 07:55

Chinese Democracy was released on November 23, 2008. So we're still at "14 years and counting" at this point. winking smiley

But who's counting?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 09:20 by Topi.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2023 10:06

A difference between the Chinese Democracy saga and the Stones' 'forthcoming' album, is that the former was heavily published and played-out in the music-press for a decade, whilst the Stones' situation hasn't. Yes, there's some publicity now, but generally, us Stones fanatics have been the lone wolves discussing it for years on end.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 28, 2023 13:14

VoodooLounge13
doitywoik

really? I never thought that anybody expects them to record a new album

Date: July 28, 2023 13:38

[loudwire.com]

But maybe we should continue this over in the GNR thread. Sorry for being off topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 13:38 by Topi.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 28, 2023 14:50

Big Al
A difference between the Chinese Democracy saga and the Stones' 'forthcoming' album, is that the former was heavily published and played-out in the music-press for a decade, whilst the Stones' situation hasn't. Yes, there's some publicity now, but generally, us Stones fanatics have been the lone wolves discussing it for years on end.

Well said, and on the money too, Big Al. Press comments about The Stones - other than in the better music press publications - has always been shallow, cliched and repetitive. In fact I frequently wonder if the regular press speak to The Stones at all? Much of what is written smells like a cut and paste job from interviews and press conferences that took place years and years ago. At least to me. 'We are working on new material...' 'It's all coming together really well...' 'We are excited about what we have got down so far...'

Everyone here has read this kind of tosh a hundred times and more. What saddens me about it all is that so few people have any REAL interest in The Stones now. I know that if they put on a concert at Twickenham or Wembley the usual 80,000 or so people will rock up. But I really wonder just how many of them actually CARE about the band? Is the entire affair just a kind of glorified karaoke evening? A couple of hours singing along to the usual warhorses, with occasional visits to the toilet or the bar when anything less-familiar is played?

Maybe I shouldn't care either? Just be happy the band can still stand upright and crank out the hits? After all it is what most of those in attendance want? Problem is, I do care. I have never boiled The Stones down to 30 or so songs. Or seen them as simply a stage show, where I need giant screens to see what is happening because I am so far away from the stage, surrounded by people yelling for Satisfaction from the first note played.

What has all this got to do with a new album? I guess it illustrates the indifference that any new material is likely to receive on release. All of us here will buy it. Discuss it. Criticise it constructively and debate its merits and demerits. And basically respect it. Given the small number of copies and downloads any material now needs to enter the charts, the album will probably hit the Top Five in its first week, and then disappear forever. Its tracks will probably never get played live. And if they were, they would simply empty vast swathes of whatever stadium The Stones were appearing in.

No wonder the band have not rushed to get anything out there!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2023 15:35

GerardHennessy
Big Al

Well said, and on the money too, Big Al. Press comments about The Stones - other than in the better music press publications - has always been shallow, cliched and repetitive. In fact I frequently wonder if the regular press speak to The Stones at all? Much of what is written smells like a cut and paste job from interviews and press conferences that took place years and years ago. At least to me. 'We are working on new material...' 'It's all coming together really well...' 'We are excited about what we have got down so far...'

Everyone here has read this kind of tosh a hundred times and more. What saddens me about it all is that so few people have any REAL interest in The Stones now. I know that if they put on a concert at Twickenham or Wembley the usual 80,000 or so people will rock up. But I really wonder just how many of them actually CARE about the band? Is the entire affair just a kind of glorified karaoke evening? A couple of hours singing along to the usual warhorses, with occasional visits to the toilet or the bar when anything less-familiar is played?

Maybe I shouldn't care either? Just be happy the band can still stand upright and crank out the hits? After all it is what most of those in attendance want? Problem is, I do care. I have never boiled The Stones down to 30 or so songs. Or seen them as simply a stage show, where I need giant screens to see what is happening because I am so far away from the stage, surrounded by people yelling for Satisfaction from the first note played.

What has all this got to do with a new album? I guess it illustrates the indifference that any new material is likely to receive on release. All of us here will buy it. Discuss it. Criticise it constructively and debate its merits and demerits. And basically respect it. Given the small number of copies and downloads any material now needs to enter the charts, the album will probably hit the Top Five in its first week, and then disappear forever. Its tracks will probably never get played live. And if they were, they would simply empty vast swathes of whatever stadium The Stones were appearing in.

No wonder the band have not rushed to get anything out there!

You mention Twickenham and Wembley: well, it's so very true. I've known several folk who'll always make a point to catch them in London, whenever they're in town. It's pretty-much an event they attend without thought. It's just: 'oh, the Stones are back? We 'ought to go; could be the last time' These people have zero interest in their 'latter-day' music, let alone any future 'new' release. 40 Licks? Oh, of course: it's the only Stones CD they own!

Date: July 28, 2023 15:43

Hairball
VoodooLounge13
doitywoik

15 years and counting......wow...just hope they don't hit a wall!!! eye popping smiley
Looking forward to hearing what they've come up with after all these years...both Guns n’ Roses and the Stones!

Hard to believe it's been 34 years since I saw them open for the Stones at the LA Coliseum way back in 1989...

They don't need a wall. They have Axl. winking smiley

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: July 28, 2023 18:08

I DO WONDER IF THE STONES WILL TRY TO PLACE NEW MUSIC IN SEPT NEW TV SEASON ADS
I THINK.. HOPE TO FIND A NEW SINGLE IN THE COMING WEEKS
IM GLAD THE BAND HAS LASTED THIS LONG..IM GLAD TO HAVE SEEN 5 SHOWS BETWEEN 2019
AND 2021 TOURS.I REALLY HOPE SOME MORE OUTTAKES POP UP SHORTLY
WAITING

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 28, 2023 18:57

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
The key to hang on to is that an album is more than just a collection of songs. That way we can ignore the more than an album's worth of newly recorded material released between 2010 and 2021 or even the blues covers album recorded 2015/2016. The negativity of reiterating "it's been so long" allows you to ignore the fact that the last original studio album saw the band at retirement age and they've gone on to make three album's worth of material since then. It's important we stay negative and say wrinkly rocker or add up their ages because that's what matters. It's really important we post that on a site like IORR as many times a day as possible so that the only wall we hit is the one we already determined to knock down years ago when we first started our Drakonian agenda against the site. That's what really matters...to some people at least.

Already popular in 1982/83 when I became a fan

Date: July 28, 2023 19:30

I guess such jokes were around even earlier. I remember "discussions" in music mags in early 70s whether Mick should stop once he reaches the age of 30.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 28, 2023 20:06

doitywoik
Hairball
VoodooLounge13
doitywoik

They don't need a wall. They have Axl. winking smiley

… and his voice is severely damaged

Date: July 28, 2023 20:35

Do we have a GNR thread around here?

Edit: oh, we do. Never mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 20:37 by Topi.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 28, 2023 20:53

In my opinion the fans should learn from the Stones, if you have nothing to say shut up, that's not what's going on here...
All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter 'bout
Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta

Date: July 28, 2023 21:13

Only shows this is still an active forum, after all.

Date: July 28, 2023 21:28

doitywoik

thumbs up

Keith, Mick, Ronnie, Charlie, and even Bill have all talked about the album throughout the years - they've planted the seeds, and we are the blossoms.smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 28, 2023 21:31

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon

My father called them that after seeing them on TV in the States 1965.

Date: July 28, 2023 22:22

Hairball
doitywoik

thumbs up

Keith, Mick, Ronnie, Charlie, and even Bill have all talked about the album throughout the years - they've planted the seeds, and we are the blossoms.smiling smiley

But didn't Charlie say he didn't know where the new album was?

And Mick told us not to hold our breath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 22:29 by Topi.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 28, 2023 22:53

Testify
In my opinion the fans should learn from the Stones, if you have nothing to say shut up, that's not what's going on here...
All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter 'bout
Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta

Is someone talking about the garment trade?

Date: July 28, 2023 23:15

kkhoranstoned
I DO WONDER IF THE STONES WILL TRY TO PLACE NEW MUSIC IN SEPT NEW TV SEASON ADS
I THINK.. HOPE TO FIND A NEW SINGLE IN THE COMING WEEKS
IM GLAD THE BAND HAS LASTED THIS LONG..IM GLAD TO HAVE SEEN 5 SHOWS BETWEEN 2019
AND 2021 TOURS.I REALLY HOPE SOME MORE OUTTAKES POP UP SHORTLY
WAITING

Yes, hoping and waiting...and speculating, wishing, contemplating, praying, doubting, conjecturing, wondering, pondering, daydreaming, and guessing....
Could be any day or week now for a new single...or maybe next month or the following month...or maybe not?! Only time will tell.
A new single is long overdue, while the the new album itself is long past overdue...hopefully the time has come!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 23:16 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...687688689690691692693694695696697...LastNext
Current Page: 692 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home