Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...650651652653654655656657658659660...LastNext
Current Page: 655 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 25, 2023 01:10

I'm often reminded of "What did the bloody Romans do for us?" routine from LIFE OF BRIAN.

"The bloody Stones haven't made an album since 2005!"

Well, yes, but what about BLUE AND LONESOME, that was an album? "Doesn't count."
Okay, what about Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, and Living in a Ghost Town? "They don't count."

Alright, what about more than an album's worth of songs with all new lyrics and vocals, guitar, bass, drums, or keyboard overdubs released between 2010 and 2021 on EXILE, SOME GIRLS, GOATS HEAD SOUP, and TATTOO YOU deluxe editions? Many of those song titles never even existed when the albums were originally released. "Those don't count either."

What about Mick and Keith's solo work since 2005? Keith even made a solo album? "That doesn't count."

I give up. They've released several albums' worth of material since 2005 including at least two proper studio albums in BLUE AND LONESOME and CROSSEYED HEART...three if you count SUPERHEAVY. "None of them count. They've done virtually nothing since 2005."

If you hate them so much, why do you post here every day? Many of you are probably even the same person. "Shut up, you loser! I have every right to say I hate them! How dare you repress me!"

Rinse, repeat.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 25, 2023 01:34

I've already made arrangements with my almost middle aged son to present the new Stones album as a gift and remembrance to his children of their grandfather. He can explain how much I dug the band but I was ultimately Out Of Time.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2023 01:45

Seems this thread has hit another wall...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 25, 2023 02:44

In Mick's video from yesterday you can clearly hear a finished song and Mick miming over it (that guitar is not even plugged in) probably they are mixing sessions or already a complete mix and they are listening to the final song.

Either way, the album won't be out for at least 5+ months from now so having a release date (let's say 17th November) won't help much, although I would expect a teaser single by the end of July or beginning of August together with the announcement and the pre-sale, no less than 100-120 days before the release.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 25, 2023 03:54

Such a shame. A great woman. Rest in peace now you are not in pain anymore.

Date: May 25, 2023 04:11

Hairball

Only because of the number of masons hard at work.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 25, 2023 05:16

georgelicks
In Mick's video from yesterday you can clearly hear a finished song and Mick miming over it (that guitar is not even plugged in) probably they are mixing sessions or already a complete mix and they are listening to the final song.

Either way, the album won't be out for at least 5+ months from now so having a release date (let's say 17th November) won't help much, although I would expect a teaser single by the end of July or beginning of August together with the announcement and the pre-sale, no less than 100-120 days before the release.

Another voice of reason. I am hearing and seeing the same thing in the video as well.

Date: May 25, 2023 05:44

Maybe Keith will also post a mini-snippet of one of the new tunes - can't wait to hear one of his "dynamite riffs".
And the next thing you know, there will be a dozen or so 10 second mini-snippets for us all to decipher and enjoy.
120 seconds of original new Stones music would be great! After all, a mini-snippet is better than no snippet at all...18 years and counting....

Date: May 25, 2023 06:00

18 years and counting is a false narrative. At the turn of the decade the band chose to start looking back and Mick added vocals and lyrics to roughly three albums wortb of material. The band made some new contributions as well but it was mostly Mick in Tattoo You mode but instead of a hodgepodge of songs from different eras the songs for the most part stay connected to the album they were recorded for orginally.

Those Exile and SG extra CD's are as much new Stones albums as Tattoo You in '81 just different packaging. New lyrics to old backing tracks are new songs.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 25, 2023 06:46

Rockman
The Rolling Stones have always done things their way.

No truer words have been spoken MK...

Thank you Rockman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 25, 2023 12:21

Rocky Dijon
I'm often reminded of "What did the bloody Romans do for us?" routine from LIFE OF BRIAN.

... (etc)

It's not so much "What did the Romans do", as rather "What did the Romans do but don't do anymore?". The Romans created aquaducts and roads and literature, sure. But they ended up being a weak empire. Yes, the Stones still turned out music in the past 2 or 3 decades. But is it as good as what they did in the 60s and 70s?
You put Stones, Mick Jagger solo and Keith Richards solo work in the same bag, whereas I would consider them different things.
I find the argument of "if you are a Stones fan, you should love it if they bring out new stuff" a bit silly. Why should I? I am a Stones fan because they made at least 6 greatest rock albums ever, and then a number of other very very good albums. But before a Stones fan, I am a music fan. And music can be entertainment, which the Stones are still reasonably good at. Or it can be revolutionary and artistically meaningful. In the latter case, this means you explore new sounds, new approaches, new things to say. Both Mick as Keith tried to do that in their solo-work. It's a pity they didn't continue on those roads. Whether you like their solo work or not is irrelevant. At least they tried something new and explored things.
The Stones haven't done that much for a long time. Or hardly. "Living in the Heart of Love" was refreshing and fun and "Criss cross man" is great but they are not the product of something they are exploring now. A few songs here and there were promising. But my guess is that whenever Mick or Keith wants to explore something new, they can't agree on the direction. And musicians that limit themselves to keep the peace..., not a good idea. Of course, I could be completely wrong and their new album will be a masterpiece. Let's hope so. But I also hope that if they can't come up with something great, they won't bring it out.

By the way, the last time I checked, I am still only one person.

Date: May 25, 2023 14:33

matxil
It's not so much "What did the Romans do", as rather "What did the Romans do but don't do anymore?". The Romans created aquaducts and roads and literature, sure. But they ended up being a weak empire. Yes, the Stones still turned out music in the past 2 or 3 decades. But is it as good as what they did in the 60s and 70s?
You put Stones, Mick Jagger solo and Keith Richards solo work in the same bag, whereas I would consider them different things.
I find the argument of "if you are a Stones fan, you should love it if they bring out new stuff" a bit silly. Why should I? I am a Stones fan because they made at least 6 greatest rock albums ever, and then a number of other very very good albums. But before a Stones fan, I am a music fan. And music can be entertainment, which the Stones are still reasonably good at. Or it can be revolutionary and artistically meaningful. In the latter case, this means you explore new sounds, new approaches, new things to say. Both Mick as Keith tried to do that in their solo-work. It's a pity they didn't continue on those roads. Whether you like their solo work or not is irrelevant. At least they tried something new and explored things.
The Stones haven't done that much for a long time. Or hardly. "Living in the Heart of Love" was refreshing and fun and "Criss cross man" is great but they are not the product of something they are exploring now. A few songs here and there were promising. But my guess is that whenever Mick or Keith wants to explore something new, they can't agree on the direction. And musicians that limit themselves to keep the peace..., not a good idea. Of course, I could be completely wrong and their new album will be a masterpiece. Let's hope so. But I also hope that if they can't come up with something great, they won't bring it out.

By the way, the last time I checked, I am still only one person.

You missed the point, unfortunately. The satire is the rinse and repeat argument of both extreme camps who want their view to prevail. When we fall to the level of calling one another sick freaks, I thought a bit of humor was appropriate.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 25, 2023 14:44

Rocky Dijon

Well, yes, but what about BLUE AND LONESOME, that was an album? "Doesn't count."
Okay, what about Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, and Living in a Ghost Town? "They don't count."

Alright, what about more than an album's worth of songs with all new lyrics and vocals, guitar, bass, drums, or keyboard overdubs released between 2010 and 2021 on EXILE, SOME GIRLS, GOATS HEAD SOUP, and TATTOO YOU deluxe editions? Many of those song titles never even existed when the albums were originally released. "Those don't count either."

What about Mick and Keith's solo work since 2005? Keith even made a solo album? "That doesn't count."

I give up. They've released several albums' worth of material since 2005 including at least two proper studio albums in BLUE AND LONESOME and CROSSEYED HEART...three if you count SUPERHEAVY. "None of them count. They've done virtually nothing since 2005."

If you hate them so much, why do you post here every day? Many of you are probably even the same person. "Shut up, you loser! I have every right to say I hate them! How dare you repress me!"

Rinse, repeat.

I have also started to hate the early Stones. They wasted bloody four years until they started making something that counts, that is, an album of originals. Yeah, they released some albums, but they were based on covers, and some random singles like "The Last Time", Satisfaction", "Get Off of My Cloud", but those don't count. They supposed to be young and energetic, but actually they were lazy, non-creative bastards. It was not until AFTERMATH they started doing something one could count. Unfortunately, by BEGGARS BANQUET they started including covers again into their albums. But thankfully, starting with GOATS HEAD SOUP again, there've been some proper cover-free albums of originals again over the years. But unfortunately those non-creative bastards started using old songs and out-takes from the past sessions - that's cheating, showing that your recent muse do not work - so I don't think all of those can count either. So a proper countable Rolling Stones catalogue would be something like this:

AFTERMATH (1966)
BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (1967)
THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES (1967)
GOATS HEAD SOUP (1973)
VOODOO LOUNGE (1994)
BRIDGES TO BABYLON (1997)

I know there might be some problems in some of these as well, but I am big-hearted here.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 14:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2023 16:18

Doxa
Rocky Dijon

Rinse, repeat.

I have also started to hate the early Stones. They wasted bloody four years until they started making something that counts, that is, an album of originals. Yeah, they released some albums, but they were based on covers, and some random singles like "The Last Time", Satisfaction", "Get Off of My Cloud", but those don't count. They supposed to be young and energetic, but actually they were lazy, non-creative bastards. It was not until AFTERMATH they started doing something one could count. Unfortunately, by BEGGARS BANQUET they started including covers again into their albums. But thankfully, starting with GOATS HEAD SOUP again, there've been some proper cover-free albums of originals again over the years. But unfortunately those non-creative bastards started using old songs and out-takes from the past sessions - that's cheating, showing that your recent muse do not work - so I don't think all of those can count either. So a proper countable Rolling Stones catalogue would be something like this:

AFTERMATH (1966)
GOATS HEAD SOUP (1973)
VOODOO LOUNGE (1994)

I know there might be some problems in some of these as well, but I am big-hearted here.

- Doxa

SATANIC? Are you kidding? Bloody stoned Mick and Keith had to rely on Bill Wyman to finish that album. In another land indeed. On ANOTHER PLANET maybe?!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 25, 2023 16:40

Doxa
Rocky Dijon

Rinse, repeat.

AFTERMATH (1966)
GOATS HEAD SOUP (1973)
VOODOO LOUNGE (1994)

- Doxa

>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 25, 2023 16:54

Pointing out writers block somehow equates to hatred, new speech much.

It happens to most artists over 70, get over it, just because someone maintains fitness doesn't make them creative

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 25, 2023 17:17

Treacle, you got me. I was way too big-hearted, sloppy actually. Of course, since the Stones are a Jagger-Richards show, and a showcase of their supposed creative genius, a proper Rolling Stones studio album of originals should contains nothing but pure Jagger-Richards songs. Damn, they have cheated so much during the years. All those Brians, Woods, Taylors, Matts, Leavells, Jordans, and who else, credited or not, have supported them when their creative wells, so often, have been dried up.

Probably The Rolling Stones as recording artists making real albums is nothing but a big fake. And Mick and Keith as song-writers one big joke. If we listen closely their so called 'originals', most of them, if not all, are rip offs from here and there. And then recicling the same old ideas again and again. Richards even stole his signature tuning from Ry Cooder. Well, The Beatlelogists always knew what a secondary, copy cat act they always been.... A blues cover band really. And not that good even. I mean, why to listen them, if one can listen Slim Harpo.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 17:24 by Doxa.

Date: May 25, 2023 17:30

Doxa
Treacle, you got me. I was way too big-hearted, sloppy actually. Of course, since the Stones are a Jagger-Richards show, and a showcase of their supposed creative genius, a proper Rolling Stones studio album of originals should contains nothing but pure Jagger-Richards songs. Damn, they have cheated so much during the years. All those Brians, Woods, Taylors, Matts, Leavells, Jordans, and who else, credited or not, have supported them when their creative wells, so often, have been dried up.

Probably The Rolling Stones as recording artists making real albums is nothing but a big fake. And Mick and Keith as song-writers one big joke. If we listen closely their so called 'originals', most of them, if not all, are rip offs from here and there. And then recicling the same old ideas again and again. Richards even stole his signature tuning from Ry Cooder. Well, The Beatlelogists always knew what a secondary, copy cat act they always been.... A blues cover band really. And not that good even. I mean, why to listen them, if one can listen Slim Harpo.

- Doxa

Well, I'll give Mick and Keith one thing...they summed it all up in one song title, "Why don't we sing this song all together (See What Happens?)"

I'll tell you what happens...nothing. Nothing happens!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:35

Is it me or is the snippet from yesterday the weakest one they've "released" over the past X (4, 5, who's counting at this point...) years ? It sounds a bit like Mick on "Let's Work" ;-) Surely that's not what Mick had in mind when he said the material had to be "great" ? The longer the wait, the higher the expectations...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 25, 2023 19:03

gotdablouse
Is it me or is the snippet from yesterday the weakest one they've "released" over the past X (4, 5, who's counting at this point...) years ? It sounds a bit like Mick on "Let's Work" ;-) Surely that's not what Mick had in mind when he said the material had to be "great" ? The longer the wait, the higher the expectations...

I was hoping for a Stones album on the level of Crosseyed Heart, Keith delivering creativity on a par with Tattoo You imho, that was such a surprise, loved CH.
Please, no more Lets Work BS from the Stones, hopefully that's Micks solo stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 20:58 by keefriffhards.

Date: May 25, 2023 20:58

big4
georgelicks

Another voice of reason. I am hearing and seeing the same thing in the video as well.

Agreed! It's fabulously clear a new album is on the way and still the bitch[es] keep bitching.

I hope and believe the marketing machine is on this 100% and Georgelicks timeline makes sense.

I want the LPs in every colour, including clear and black; every CD/SACD version with a different cover [a la Taylor Swift, with 4 versions put together forming a clock and below it saying either "Time Is On My Side" or more poignantly, "Time Waits For No One"); the USB stick version, which got a tryout with Rolled Gold+ in 2009 - lets bring that bad boy back!; the Japanese versions with the extra track on SHm; and then after Christmas, the 'bonus version album' with 2 videos and 2 extra tracks not found on the album.

I want to make these guys rich!

Date: May 25, 2023 21:00

Rocky Dijon
Hairball

Only because of the number of masons hard at work.

It's bordering on elder abuse if you ask me.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 25, 2023 21:24

treaclefingers
big4
georgelicks

Agreed! It's fabulously clear a new album is on the way and still the bitch[es] keep bitching.

I hope and believe the marketing machine is on this 100% and Georgelicks timeline makes sense.

I want the LPs in every colour, including clear and black; every CD/SACD version with a different cover [a la Taylor Swift, with 4 versions put together forming a clock and below it saying either "Time Is On My Side" or more poignantly, "Time Waits For No One"); the USB stick version, which got a tryout with Rolled Gold+ in 2009 - lets bring that bad boy back!; the Japanese versions with the extra track on SHm; and then after Christmas, the 'bonus version album' with 2 videos and 2 extra tracks not found on the album.

I want to make these guys rich!
You forgot wig box, tin can and shaped sleeve versions. A set of four 3" CD singles would work too winking smiley
Oh, yeah, oversized superdeluxe with a set of 5 postcards and tour travel box 30"x30"x50".

Date: May 25, 2023 22:17

Imagine - they could probably fit a thousand mini-snippets into a box set...maybe two thousand mini-snippets in the Deluxe box!

Looking forward to the next mini-snippet!thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 25, 2023 23:34

big4
18 years and counting is a false narrative. At the turn of the decade the band chose to start looking back and Mick added vocals and lyrics to roughly three albums wortb of material. The band made some new contributions as well but it was mostly Mick in Tattoo You mode but instead of a hodgepodge of songs from different eras the songs for the most part stay connected to the album they were recorded for orginally.

Those Exile and SG extra CD's are as much new Stones albums as Tattoo You in '81 just different packaging. New lyrics to old backing tracks are new songs.
NO they are not.And not one of those is a great song.Some like Living in the Heart of Love and Criss Cross, two of the better ones, were basically finished before Mick and the band did some overdubs or new vocals

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 25, 2023 23:44

gotdablouse

As for me, the snippet cuts off exactly the the point where it might get interesting.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 26, 2023 01:35

georgelicks

I agree the track sounds pretty far along, but I do think he was doing an actual overdub there. There’s an instrument cable in the jack. The part precisely matches his right-hand strum pattern. And after he plays an A D Esus progression, the song goes to a minor chord, Mick stops playing, and you can clearly hear that part drop out.

Also, if I had to guess, it sounds like Steve, not Charlie.

In any case, it’s catchy and I wish we could hear the whole thing.smileys with beer

Date: May 26, 2023 02:47

frankotero
Easy Sleasy, also another good one. Maybe the best thing in years. Still hoping for a proper release.

I concur on both your points.

Date: May 26, 2023 04:40

Taylor1
big4

NO they are not.And not one of those is a great song.Some like Living in the Heart of Love and Criss Cross, two of the better ones, were basically finished before Mick and the band did some overdubs or new vocals

Did I mention GHS at all in my post? NO I did not.

So I bring up the Exile and SG bonus discs then you mention two songs that are not on either.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 26, 2023 10:07

I wonder what's going through their heads. Is Keith even capable of new, exciting riffs that don't sound like older ones? What does Mick do when he hears them and think they're not up to snuff? Sigh and just leave them on the album as 'Keith's couple numbers'?

What will Steve Jordan Rolling Stones songs sound like? Can he finally turn Darryl into a rock and roll bassist? Something with some heart?

Will Ronnie contribute a lot more, and get songwriting credits? If Blue and Lonesome is any indication, he can still deliver powerful riffs.

I'm actually looking forward to this release. Not excited like in the past. Not expecting a monumental artistic achievement. I'm actually curious. They're not even the young whippersnappers in their 60s who made a Bigger Bang. There's never been a rock and roll album made by an octogenarian band. This could be interesting.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...650651652653654655656657658659660...LastNext
Current Page: 655 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home