Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...332333334335336337338339340341342...LastNext
Current Page: 337 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: May 23, 2019 12:05

And if time make a new Stones album "sub standard", there are weeks and months of fun with it while listening and exploring. For me, that includes ABB, B2B, VL, SW and DW.

Heck, I still love those albums! smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2019 12:40

Me too ...

But I do agree with Matxil in lamenting that fact that Keith hasn't made more solo albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-23 12:41 by Spud.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 23, 2019 14:19

MisterDDDD
I have the same feeling CJFP.
This medical scare may have been a wake up call not only for Mick, but the band as well.
The postponement of the tour may have been a blessing in more ways than one, as I am landing firmly in the camp of keeping the header the same on this thread. Less likely, but I also have increased hopes of a new song or two on this tour. Realize this goes against georgelicks info, but it wouldn't be the first time they've surprised insiders by switching things up. cool smiley

I have a similar feeling as well. Like I wrote above, it was a pleasent surprise for me that they put some of their energy to the new album project now. I thought they would just concentrate on the tour.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 23, 2019 14:31

DandelionPowderman
And if time make a new Stones album "sub standard", there are weeks and months of fun with it while listening and exploring. For me, that includes ABB, B2B, VL, SW and DW.

Heck, I still love those albums! smiling smiley

Me too! And after the euphoria of the new album has gone, there will be years and years to discuss it here at IORR.... Just to think how much he have here talked about those "sub standard" albums you mentioned...

- Doxa

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 23, 2019 16:35

I do not understand why a press-release like hundreds before can make some people suddenly euphoric... dreaming of two albums and even pronouncing release dates. The quoted statement is the same talktalktalk we´ve heard so many times before...

Their creative output in the last 20+ years is very small to say the least. How can one think they would have "18-20 killer songs" now? Where should they come from all of a sudden? Impossible.

Date: May 23, 2019 16:43

Their albums since DW maybe were rushed to be in store before start-of-tour. The results were mixed bags, as we all know. If the record company now puts pressure on the Stones we´re in for the full catastrophe.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 23, 2019 16:47

HMS
Their albums since DW maybe were rushed to be in store before start-of-tour. The results were mixed bags, as we all know. If the record company now puts pressure on the Stones we´re in for the full catastrophe.

A lot of descriptive words will ultimately be applicable when the new album finally drops.
"Rushed" won't be one of them cool smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 23, 2019 16:48

IanBillen
Perhaps Universal finally said .. ok boys .. let's go .. get to it.

Maybe in so many words they figured The Stones have had enough breaks .. ya-all do everything else .. get to that album you guys took out a contract with us for (in so many kind official words channeling down the pipeline to them).

I would bet that is the real reason they got right back to it (even this close right before a tour).

So you think the young suits at Universal have laid down the law?

I think the Stones do what they want, period. And their lawyers are smart enough so that it is reflected in any contract with Universal. They will do what they want when they want. That's just my guess.

I'd like to be in the room when keith is told "you guys have had enough breaks."

Date: May 23, 2019 16:59

MisterDDDD
HMS

A lot of descriptive words will ultimately be applicable when the new album finally drops.
"Rushed" won't be one of them cool smiley

grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2019 17:35

HMS
I do not understand why a press-release like hundreds before can make some people suddenly euphoric... dreaming of two albums and even pronouncing release dates. The quoted statement is the same talktalktalk we´ve heard so many times before...

Their creative output in the last 20+ years is very small to say the least. How can one think they would have "18-20 killer songs" now? Where should they come from all of a sudden? Impossible.

Please provide the press announcement you're going on about.

Date: May 23, 2019 17:38

HMS
billwebster
Yes, they should have made more new albums during that later part of their career.

I totally agree... but there is one thing we should not forget: You need songs to make an album...

Which explains why what came out in 1986 is the lowest point of their discography.

There have been floaters on every album post-1983.

Date: May 23, 2019 17:43

GasLightStreet
Please provide the press announcement you're going on about.

link

Date: May 23, 2019 17:46

Bashlets
I’m hoping they have 18 to 20 killer songs. Release 2 new studio albums. Fade off into glory. HONK will stop being redistributed just like 40 licks and Grr and then they can milk us again with another anthology in 2023 or 2024 for XMAS.

HONK hasn't been redistributed yet. Only MADE IN THE SHADE, SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES and JUMP BACK have had that happen.

Date: May 23, 2019 17:46

GasLightStreet

On every album post 1963, I´d like to say...

Date: May 23, 2019 17:49

Spud
Monsoon Ragoon
Why should they release another sub-standard album with lots of fillers that doesn't really sell? They know that they are not able to make a great record again. That's why they are doing shows with 85 % hits and standards. It's a shame that this project ends like this, but we gotta deal with it.

So how do we define a sub standard album ?

Spud
If ABB or B2B had not been Stones albums, and had been released by a new or erstwhile unknown band ...they'd have been received as brilliant , diverse and exciting albums.

That's way off. No one would ever think such a thing.

Date: May 23, 2019 17:53

HMS
GasLightStreet

On every album post 1963, I´d like to say...

Of course you would like to say that. But you won't.

There are a number of albums that don't have floaters on them. They're called AFTERMATH, BEGGARS BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE ON MAIN STREET, GOATS HEAD SOUP, SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 23, 2019 18:16

GasLightStreet
There are a number of albums that don't have floaters on them. They're called AFTERMATH, BEGGARS BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE ON MAIN STREET, GOATS HEAD SOUP, SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU.

What about Turd on the Run? That's a floater, isn't it?
winking smiley

Date: May 23, 2019 18:20

GasLightStreet

On these albums are also floaters (Aftermath,GHS & Exile especially)... but yes they are shiny pearls compared to the intolerable floaters on albums like BTB, VL, SW.

Date: May 23, 2019 18:28

HMS
GasLightStreet

On these albums are also floaters (Aftermath,GHS & Exile especially)... but yes they are shiny pearls compared to the intolerable floaters on albums like BTB, VL, SW.

Name one on A, EOMS and GHS.

Date: May 23, 2019 18:34

GasLightStreet

Only one of a few/album:

A - High And Dry
EOMS - Turd
GHS - Coming Down Again

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 23, 2019 18:35

Sipuncula
GasLightStreet

winking smiley

No. It isn't.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 23, 2019 18:37

HMS
GasLightStreet

Only one of a few/album:

A - High And Dry
EOMS - Turd
GHS - Coming Down Again

I am glad you're back on the forum, but you're still saying very strange things. None of them are floaters, not even Coming Down Again.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 23, 2019 18:38

HMS
GasLightStreet

Only one of a few/album:

A - High And Dry
EOMS - Turd
GHS - Coming Down Again

All great sings.
Jeroen

Date: May 23, 2019 18:47

Sipuncula
GasLightStreet

winking smiley

But... isn't running - would you call that very fast floating?

Date: May 23, 2019 18:48

runrudolph
HMS
GasLightStreet

Only one of a few/album:

A - High And Dry
EOMS - Turd
GHS - Coming Down Again

All great sings.
Jeroen

All 3 of those better than anything, well, you know.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 23, 2019 19:16

The post-Bang album:

1. Plundered My Soul
2. You're Never Gonna Change Your Ways (best Superheavy song IMO)
3. Doom & Gloom
4. One More Shot
5. Trouble
6. Illusion
7. Just Your Fool
8. Ride 'Em On Down
9. Champagne and Reefer w/ Buddy Guy
10. England Lost
11. Gotta Get A Grip

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 23, 2019 19:27

IanBillen
Send It To me
Bashlets
Ticket prices for big artists are huge because that’s where the money comes from. If the stones were making millions in sales off of new recordings they’d release more albums and often. The reason there is no rush by them to complete an album is because there ain’t no money in it. We can all get the product but if we are not buying it, why would they produce it. I can’t blame them and would do the same. I’m a sucker. I still buy it. Been a collector since 11 years old in 1973. I will continue to buy.

There are other artists who don't need to make new music for money but do so anyway because it's their craft and helps them stay vital. Before retiring, Paul Simon put out records of new music in 2000, 2006, 2009, & 2015, along with the occasional random track like "Fast Car" with Wyclef and co-writing a record with his son Harper. I doubt he earned much from it. Neil Young still produces, as does Fogerty and others. Stones are too much tilted toward being entertainers & businesspeople as opposed to artists sometimes.

Completely agree (well said).

Ian

thanks Ian!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 24, 2019 00:02

Rokyfan
IanBillen

Maybe in so many words they figured The Stones have had enough breaks .. ya-all do everything else .. get to that album you guys took out a contract with us for (in so many kind official words channeling down the pipeline to them).

I would bet that is the real reason they got right back to it (even this close right before a tour).

I think the Stones do what they want, period. And their lawyers are smart enough so that it is reflected in any contract with Universal. They will do what they want when they want. That's just my guess.

I'd like to be in the room when keith is told "you guys have had enough breaks."

Well that's not exactly what I meant .. I don't think they 'laid down the law' .. so much. I don't think they said 'get working on it or we are going to cancel or sue'. I simply think they started to funnel some word down the pipeline on requesting status updates .. material ... etc. In other words.. they probably eloquently sent requests or inquiries to put a little pressure on The Stones in an eloquent way is what I think happened. The execs probably figured .. at this age anything can happen .. Mick just had heart surgery ... let's start this ball rolling sooner better than later. I think The Stones 'took the hint' is how the situation went down if it to be the case.

That would make the most sense if it is the case based on who they are, their situation ... etc (which is a sort of special situation .. but I think Universal said .. look .. special time is over .. so then .. what's the latest on this album fellas? .. and guess what .. I don't blame them. Certainly glad someone did!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 00:07 by IanBillen.

Date: May 24, 2019 02:20

IanBillen
Rokyfan
IanBillen

Well that's not exactly what I meant .. I don't think they 'laid down the law' .. so much. I don't think they said 'get working on it or we are going to cancel or sue'. I simply think they started to funnel some word down the pipeline on requesting status updates .. material ... etc. In other words.. they probably eloquently sent requests or inquiries to put a little pressure on The Stones in an eloquent way is what I think happened. The execs probably figured .. at this age anything can happen .. Mick just had heart surgery ... let's start this ball rolling sooner better than later. I think The Stones 'took the hint' is how the situation went down if it to be the case.

That would make the most sense if it is the case based on who they are, their situation ... etc (which is a sort of special situation .. but I think Universal said .. look .. special time is over .. so then .. what's the latest on this album fellas? .. and guess what .. I don't blame them. Certainly glad someone did!

It is a little bit odd that Mick has said he'd like to record a new record, it's been a long time, but then... it's taking a long time just to make a record?

At least they're working on it instead of just churning out The Rolling Stones As Usual (1986-2005). The DIRTY WORK sessions rambled on with disagreements etc and it was all over the place as an album, with a lot of material recorded but who knows how good. STEEL WHEELS was focused in comparison, VOODOO LOUNGE all over the place, BRIDGES all over but focused. So it goes.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 24, 2019 02:53

Spud
Me too ...

But I do agree with Matxil in lamenting that fact that Keith hasn't made more solo albums.

I don’t. I love Keith Richards. But Mick Jagger is his lead singer.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...332333334335336337338339340341342...LastNext
Current Page: 337 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home