Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...327328329330331332333334335336337...LastNext
Current Page: 332 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 19, 2019 10:05

doitywoik
If the trend continues, we'll also have 20 new 20-sec clips in addition to the 20 (or so) new songs that we hear about for years now.

To me this snippets are not really telling. Mick strumming whatever chord will always sound like Mick strumming whatever chord. If the song that goes along with it (in case there is a song to go along with it and not just the strumming) is killer or filler can't be told - or rather, I couldn't tell.

Good news is (courtesy of DW) that there's something going on (or about to go on) in terms of studio work. Let's just hope it's not just overdubs for The Return of the Son of A Greater Honk Live ...

Pretty doubtful the clip is anything that is a rough draft of something to appear on the album. IMO the clip is jus a jam simply meant to show that ...'hey look .. I didn't forget about the album and we are still at the thing off and on'... Nothing more than that.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 19, 2019 11:13

CJFP
Maybe they'll try out some new songs on the tour, like they used to!!! Its all just wishful thinking now!

The only later to be released "outtakes" they ever played live since 1969 were Loving Cup (1969), Cherry Oh Baby (1975) and Worried About You (1977, some say also in San Antonio 1975).

Date: May 19, 2019 11:19

Monsoon Ragoon
CJFP
Maybe they'll try out some new songs on the tour, like they used to!!! Its all just wishful thinking now!

The only later to be released "outtakes" they ever played live since 1969 were Loving Cup (1969), Cherry Oh Baby (1975) and Worried About You (1977, some say also in San Antonio 1975).

Oh, No, Not You Again at the Julliard.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 19, 2019 12:09

IanBillen
Pretty doubtful the clip is anything that is a rough draft of something to appear on the album.

To me it sounded like a potential fade-out part of a song, kind of what comes for a fade-out jam when the actual song is over. Similarly the harp snippet a while back. Can't recall the middle one ...

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 19, 2019 12:22

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
CJFP

Okay, they played songs shortly before release. But that was it.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 19, 2019 14:36

Thank you for the Don Was interview excerpt on the previous page of the thread.

They asked him about his role as a stand-in bass player as well. I guess he gets this question quite often. Looking back at the situation as Bill left, I wonder if the band ever considered Bruce Thomas (formerly of Elvis Costello's band Attractions) as a replacement when they finally chose jazz pro Darryl Jones instead.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 19, 2019 15:37

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
CJFP

That's what I mean. They used to play songs live before they were released. Such as in 1969 they played Rambler, Live With Me, and some others that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Date: May 19, 2019 16:14

CJFP
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
CJFP

That's what I mean. They used to play songs live before they were released. Such as in 1969 they played Rambler, Live With Me, and some others that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Prodigal Son, Gimmie Shelter, You Gotta Move, Love In Vain. BS at Altamont.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 16:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 19, 2019 16:39

nice photo of KR on Paris Match cover....camera definitely caught a spark in the eyes!!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 19, 2019 17:30

The fact that not one single new song made it onto HONK tells the whole story. They haven´t got anything. Their reported occasional jams & meetings all led to nowhere as it seems.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 19, 2019 17:47

HMS
The fact that not one single new song made it onto HONK tells the whole story. They haven´t got anything. Their reported occasional jams & meetings all led to nowhere as it seems.

It's very strange. They've got the best of everyting -- producers, equipment, management behind them, a band that shows up when asked, a ready-made audience, hundreds of song ideas still in their heads or on tape. And they can't realise anything!? These are two stubborn old men acting out some long-standing conflict. All my other theories are equally weird because when it's a weird situation.

Date: May 19, 2019 20:00

wonderboy
HMS

It's very strange. They've got the best of everyting -- producers, equipment, management behind them, a band that shows up when asked, a ready-made audience, hundreds of song ideas still in their heads or on tape. And they can't realise anything!? These are two stubborn old men acting out some long-standing conflict. All my other theories are equally weird because when it's a weird situation.

Or perhaps they think they better wait releasing their new stuff till it's ready?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2019 20:01

doitywoik
IanBillen
Pretty doubtful the clip is anything that is a rough draft of something to appear on the album.

To me it sounded like a potential fade-out part of a song, kind of what comes for a fade-out jam when the actual song is over. Similarly the harp snippet a while back. Can't recall the middle one ...

Agree that it sounds like there's some potential to the snippet - whether it's a fade out or whatever.

Ian Billen
IMO the clip is jus a jam simply meant to show that ...'hey look .. I didn't forget about the album and we are still at the thing off and on'... Nothing more than that.

Seems a bit of effort had gone into the backing track Mick is playing along to in that clip, similar to that dance/pop crap he posted pre-postponement, as well as that nice harp segment prior to that.
If he wanted to just send out a message 'hey look I didnt forget the album', he could have just sent out a pic of himself sitting in the studio. So far there have been several hints/snippets of actual tunes in progress,
but whether any of them result in anything is anyone's guess. By now they probably (HOPEFULLY) have more than they need as far as rough draft/demos, and now it's just a matter of weeding out the weaklings and strengthening the best...sort of a survival of the fittest scenario. But first things first: No Filter Tour pt.III, recovery, rest and relaxation, family time, etc. That said, there's a small chance we may hear a new tune during the upcoming tour, and an even smaller chance they will release a single (or EP) prior to or during the tour as was talked about many moons ago.

I hesitate to ask georgelicks to chime in as I'm pretty sure his answer will be something along the lines of "don't get your hopes up anytime soon", but sometimes the truth hurts and is necessary. lol

Date: May 19, 2019 20:01

HMS

HMS ... then it's all lies. It's one big hoax ... There are no 20 songs (or 40 Mick Demos). All those sessions with the band recording and Mick and Keith's writing sessions produced zilch. Keith's lying .. Don Was is lying .. Charlie is lying ... A few folks here are lying. Universal didn't hear anything ... Online publications are lying etc.

As well the earth is flat and we never went to the moon.

Date: May 19, 2019 20:06

Hairball
doitywoik
IanBillen

Agree that it sounds like there's some potential to the snippet - whether it's a fade out or whatever.

Ian Billen
IMO the clip is jus a jam simply meant to show that ...'hey look .. I didn't forget about the album and we are still at the thing off and on'... Nothing more than that.

Seems a bit of effort had gone into the backing track Mick is playing along to in that clip, similar to that dance/pop crap he posted pre-postponement, as well as that nice harp segment prior to that.
If he wanted to just send out a message 'hey look I didnt forget the album', he could have just sent out a pic of himself sitting in the studio. So far there have been several hints/snippets of actual tunes in progress,
but whether any of them result in anything is anyone's guess. By now they probably (HOPEFULLY) have more than they need as far as rough draft/demos, and now it's just a matter of weeding out the weaklings and strengthening the best...sort of a survival of the fittest scenario. But first things first: No Filter Tour pt.III, recovery, rest and relaxation, family time, etc. That said, there's a small chance we may hear a new tune during the upcoming tour, and an even smaller chance they will release a single (or EP) prior to or during the tour as was talked about many moons ago.

I hesitate to ask georgelicks to chime in as I'm pretty sure his answer will be something along the lines of "don't get your hopes up anytime soon", but sometimes the truth hurts and is necessary. lol

There are 20 songs done .. many have four or five different mixes already completed ...that is what is reported. They have more than simply rough demos done at this point. Not saying everything is finished.. I don't mean it like that.. Ima saying they are beyond the point of simply collecting rough demos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 20:07 by IanBillen.

Date: May 19, 2019 20:11

Yes Ian, I remember talk of that...and then came HONK which sort of burst the bubble of any new album coming anytime soon.
The upcoming tour is all about HONK, and the more I think about it the chances of a new tune being included are slim to none.
New album prediction - late 2020 at the earliest, with a better chance being 2021 when all the dust has settled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 20:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 19, 2019 20:16

My guess still is 2023. They wint do any studio work after this tour.
Another tour next year,maybe studio time..

Jeroen

Date: May 19, 2019 20:19

At this rate you could be right Jeroen, and 2023 would be an excellent album title. winking smiley

Date: May 19, 2019 20:47

Hairball
Yes Ian, I remember talk of that...and then came HONK which sort of burst the bubble of any new album coming anytime soon.
The upcoming tour is all about HONK, and the more I think about it the chances of a new tune being included are slim to none.
New album prediction - late 2020 at the earliest, with a better chance being 2021 when all the dust has settled.

Yeezzer ... I think it will come in 2020 Spring ...but I agree .. it def isn't
finished.

I think they strongly considered it being done by this tour (and even at another point well before this tour was even official) but they were not happy with things and they continued to write/work/mix ... and still are a bit IMO. I dont think we will see anything new on the tour either. This tour is a separate project / product.

As was stated .. here and in a few snippets .. they realize the stakes are high for this album (so they want to get it right and it to be the best it can be).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 20:49 by IanBillen.

Date: May 19, 2019 20:50

Germano Studio in NYC is booked for the next few days by a "band from England". I believe that the band is the Stones. They often times record at Germano and it is where they were recording in December and November.

Date: May 19, 2019 20:51

runrudolph
My guess still is 2023. They wint do any studio work after this tour.
Another tour next year,maybe studio time..

Jeroen

Guy seriously? How much friggin studio time and tours can we have?
What is this ... the 20 year album? No way. It was supposed to happen in 2016 but we got the wonder Blue and Lonesome. Then in 2018 it was supposed to happen. This year it was supposed to happen. 2020 BETTER be it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 19, 2019 21:02

Ian,really really want them to release it now. Guess it will take some time.
Jeroen

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 19, 2019 21:20

Hairball
... and 2023 would be an excellent album title. winking smiley

Yeah, especially as 2032 is already taken by Gong! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

There's perhaps people here that know better but it seems to me the Stones never really road-tested unreleased originals the way Zappa, the Floyd and a few others did back in the day. Maybe except for premiering a song shortly before the single or album came out. So I think chances are slim they will change their habits for the upcoming tour. Turning this logics the other way round, in case they do premier a new song, it could be taken as a hint at a single about to be released.

My guess is that Mick's clips are primarily signs of life - "Hey look, I'm not a BOF, I'm still around and writing new stuff!" Introducing a bit of conspiracy theory to the discussion, the clips might even be shoutouts to Keith,"Hey, I'm writing new songs! How about you?"

Judging from the fact that he is playing along with (possibly home-recorded) backing tracks make it seem likely to me that these clips are indeed snippets from demos - for whatever purpose (Stones, solo, just for fun, ...). I wouldn't give too much on their raw sound. Take any song from, say, Some Girls, pick a passage with two chords, strum them for 20 seconds and you would get pretty much the same result. So what they sound like now doesn't necessarily have much to do with what they would sound like in a more or less finished song.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 19, 2019 21:38

CJFP
Germano Studio in NYC is booked for the next few days by a "band from England". I believe that the band is the Stones.

Is there a source/link?

Germano's likely where Keith and Don Was did the recent overdubbing mentioned in The Times.

[iorr.org]

Date: May 19, 2019 22:10

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 19, 2019 22:33

Thanks. Maybe the gearheads will recognize something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 23:45 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 19, 2019 22:35

keith would fit perfectly in da picture smoking smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 19, 2019 23:32

I’m still thinking Xmas 2019. Pretty sure this is last USA tour. We’re not going to be having tours 3 years from now with Charlie in his eighties. I’m hoping they have recorded enough for two really good 9 or 10track albums. Release on this Xmas and release the final on 7/12/22 and call it a day.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 19, 2019 23:39

When they released the 40-Licks-sampler, they included 4 new songs. GRRR had at least 2 new songs. HONK has none.

They reportetly are recording every now and then for years and years now. They have 20 songs? And than they did not put one of them on HONK to make the album a bit more interesting? No... all they do have is "Western Grip pt. 1-20".
Statements from the likes of Don Was are only to keep fans and media interested to promote upcoming tours. We hear all that talking since I don´t know when (2015?). Mick may indeed have a lot of demos (or should we rather say "ideas"), but nobody in the band seems to like what he has to offer. Keith probably has nothing at all. It´s all talk talk talk to promote the next tour and all of this will continue in 2020, 2021, as long as they are able to continue touring. The new album is nothing but a bubble, imo.

Date: May 19, 2019 23:43

Germano Studio took down the post. Seems like we were on to something...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...327328329330331332333334335336337...LastNext
Current Page: 332 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home