Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in literature
Date: October 28, 2016 23:25

Rockman
eeeeerrrr maybe go work on Maggie's farm ?

He said he ain't gonna do that no more...

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 28, 2016 23:59

Bob just said he will come to Stockholm the 10th of December to the ceremony... if he can.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/world-exclusive-bob-dylan---ill-be-at-the-nobel-prize-ceremony-i/

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 29, 2016 01:18

He said he ain't gonna do that no more...

.... probably not

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 23:04 by Rockman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 29, 2016 11:39

According to reports he received the report because of his book: a'Lyrics 1962-2012'.
Implying if the book hadn't been published there would be no award?

Date: October 30, 2016 22:23

HERALD SUN -- 31 October 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: October 31, 2016 01:40

Rockman

HERALD SUN -- 31 October 2016

thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 31, 2016 02:04

Congrats again to Bob..

Seen him a few times over the years, but have never seen him smile more or look happier than at DT2.. glad to hear he was moved by the honor.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: October 31, 2016 05:20

Rockman
eeeeerrrr maybe go work on Maggie's farm ?

Lol! thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 31, 2016 19:34

He plays Charlotte this Sunday. I'll be there! grinning smiley

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: November 1, 2016 03:12

Congrats Bob!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 2, 2016 09:05

andrea66
I am sure that he answered more quickly for the check from Victoria Secrets, for the private concert for one milionaire-only or for the 7 milions for the Desert Trip .
I don't care if he will go or not , I think that the Prize is deserved but I also think that Dylan acts like a cliché of himself

[www.youtube.com]
winking smiley

Date: November 24, 2016 10:05

For Bob Dylan, Songwriter, the Nobel Prize for Literature Is Not A Promotion
[tonyconniff.com]

"...But I’ve always felt that Bob Dylan was a songwriter right down to his bones – not a poet.
I’ve never heard a lyric of his that had a poetic effect or quality that didn’t also have – and I would argue primarily have –
the qualities of a great lyric… That is, a musicality and a focus on the sound of the words as much as their literal meaning –
in other words, written to be sung, not looked at on a piece of paper (or a screen)..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-24 10:08 by hopkins.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 24, 2016 10:17

Homer was a singer too.

Date: December 8, 2016 22:01

dylan talks to the press
[www.youtube.com]

at 2:20 they insert a clip of him from more modern times for a bit.
and again at 5:00
[www.youtube.com]

[www.ew.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 05:35 by hopkins.

Date: December 11, 2016 07:17

[www.youtube.com]
Patti Smith sings Hard Rain at Ceremony today in Sweden.

New Yorker piece about it. a good one !!
[www.newyorker.com]

[www.youtube.com]
This ones pretty good; really good actually ! Bob doing Hard Rain live in '64. intense.
Here is the speech from Academy member Horace Engdahl, who had been critical of Bob's reluctance to attend; and indeed he did not.
Mr. Engdahl still putting things into really nice historical context here, thumbs up & it's a kick seeing the royalty read along.
He's at 55:55 ((can't believe this orchestra is so amazing tonight btw!!))
[www.youtube.com]

Award Ceremony Speech
Presentation Speech by Professor Horace Engdahl, Member of the Swedish Academy, Member of the Nobel Committee for Literature, 10 December 2016.

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, Your Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,

What brings about the great shifts in the world of literature? Often it is when someone seizes upon a simple, overlooked form, discounted as art in the higher sense, and makes it mutate. Thus, at one point, emerged the modern novel from anecdote and letter, thus arose drama in a new age from high jinx on planks placed on barrels in a marketplace, thus songs in the vernacular dethroned learned Latin poetry, thus too did La Fontaine take animal fables and Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales from the nursery to Parnassian heights. Each time this occurs, our idea of literature changes.

In itself, it ought not to be a sensation that a singer/songwriter now stands recipient of the literary Nobel Prize. In a distant past, all poetry was sung or tunefully recited, poets were rhapsodes, bards, troubadours; 'lyrics' comes from 'lyre'. But what Bob Dylan did was not to return to the Greeks or the Provençals. Instead, he dedicated himself body and soul to 20th century American popular music, the kind played on radio stations and gramophone records for ordinary people, white and black: protest songs, country, blues, early rock, gospel, mainstream music. He listened day and night, testing the stuff on his instruments, trying to learn. But when he started to write similar songs, they came out differently. In his hands, the material changed. From what he discovered in heirloom and scrap, in banal rhyme and quick wit, in curses and pious prayers, sweet nothings and crude jokes, he panned poetry gold, whether on purpose or by accident is irrelevant; all creativity begins in imitation.

Even after fifty years of uninterrupted exposure, we are yet to absorb music's equivalent of the fable's Flying Dutchman. He makes good rhymes, said a critic, explaining greatness. And it is true. His rhyming is an alchemical substance that dissolves contexts to create new ones, scarcely containable by the human brain. It was a shock. With the public expecting poppy folk songs, there stood a young man with a guitar, fusing the languages of the street and the bible into a compound that would have made the end of the world seem a superfluous replay. At the same time, he sang of love with a power of conviction everyone wants to own. All of a sudden, much of the bookish poetry in our world felt anaemic, and the routine song lyrics his colleagues continued to write were like old-fashioned gunpowder following the invention of dynamite. Soon, people stopped comparing him to Woody Guthrie and Hank Williams and turned instead to Blake, Rimbaud, Whitman, Shakespeare.

In the most unlikely setting of all - the commercial gramophone record - he gave back to the language of poetry its elevated style, lost since the Romantics. Not to sing of eternities, but to speak of what was happening around us. As if the oracle of Delphi were reading the evening news.

Recognising that revolution by awarding Bob Dylan the Nobel Prize was a decision that seemed daring only beforehand and already seems obvious. But does he get the prize for upsetting the system of literature? Not really. There is a simpler explanation, one that we share with all those who stand with beating hearts in front of the stage at one of the venues on his never-ending tour, waiting for that magical voice. Chamfort made the observation that when a master such as La Fontaine appears, the hierarchy of genres - the estimation of what is great and small, high and low in literature - is nullified. “What matter the rank of a work when its beauty is of the highest rank?" he wrote. That is the straight answer to the question of how Bob Dylan belongs in literature: as the beauty of his songs is of the highest rank.

By means of his oeuvre, Bob Dylan has changed our idea of what poetry can be and how it can work. He is a singer worthy of a place beside the Greeks' 'vocalists,' beside Ovid, beside the Romantic visionaries, beside the kings and queens of the Blues, beside the forgotten masters of brilliant standards. If people in the literary world groan, one must remind them that the gods don't write, they dance and they sing. The good wishes of the Swedish Academy follow Mr. Dylan on his way to coming bandstands.

And Congratulations Mr. Zimmerman. Bob Dylan rocks.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 08:43 by hopkins.

Date: December 12, 2016 04:10

I wonder if the whole idea of the Nobel Prize, and the way they foisted the award on him, felt intrusive? Here's this big thing: no matter how you accept it people will complain. Now you must show up for a lecture. You must say thank you to us soon. You're the Grand Poobah. Take this. You have to live up to everything now. Or maybe it was just great to get the award? It was probably more great than anything. But no matter what it's controversial, somehow, that Bob got the award. I think he deserves the Nobel Prize, just for being real for so long. But what does the award mean?

Date: December 12, 2016 05:55

Probably if you won the Nobel Prize none of that other stuff would matter. But people feel the need to complain these days. I just didn't like the Nobel guy complaining. Didn't some guy from the Nobel committee go on a Twitter rant or something, because Bob didn't say thanks fast enough?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 06:04 by Socrates1.

Date: December 12, 2016 06:35

Mr Zimmerman didn't answer straight away ....needed time ta write his speech that's all ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 12, 2016 06:51

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 12, 2016 07:13

I wonder if he'll wear the medal at some of his upcoming shows...winking smiley
In the past he did proudly display his Oscar statue on stage!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 12, 2016 07:48

Socrates1
I wonder if the whole idea of the Nobel Prize, and the way they foisted the award on him, felt intrusive? Here's this big thing: no matter how you accept it people will complain. Now you must show up for a lecture. You must say thank you to us soon. You're the Grand Poobah. Take this. You have to live up to everything now. Or maybe it was just great to get the award? It was probably more great than anything. But no matter what it's controversial, somehow, that Bob got the award. I think he deserves the Nobel Prize, just for being real for so long. But what does the award mean?

Yes I feel bestowing all these requirements on a recipient degrades the award. For example: if a reciepent wins a Nobel prize for their legacy or some other grand achievement does it lessen their worthiness if this reciepent is
simply too introverted to give a lecture?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 12, 2016 08:58

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 11:14 by Stoneage.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 12, 2016 14:50

I'm thinking this tipped the vote in his favour when the Nobel Committee was voting:

[m.youtube.com]

grinning smiley

Date: December 12, 2016 15:05

Bob to Oslo on April 4. Yay! thumbs up

Date: December 12, 2016 15:59

swimtothemoon

Yes I feel bestowing all these requirements on a recipient degrades the award. For example: if a reciepent wins a Nobel prize for their legacy or some other grand achievement does it lessen their worthiness if this reciepent is
simply too introverted to give a lecture?

I think it would be weird, any way you look at it. And it's not fair: there's all those great songs Keith has written, then he has to watch Mick be knighted and Bob Dylan awarded the Nobel Prize. Maybe Keith will eventually get a chemistry award. I think it's a big honor for Bob. I wonder if it's kind of a hassle too. It just seemed like they were trying to run him around. And probably McCartney feels like he should have gotten it.

Date: December 12, 2016 16:16

It's fun to post on the internet and attach the word "hassle" to the Nobel Prize. I'm sure Bob was totally honored and beside himself and everything. None of us can know what any of that is like. I'm glad he got it. And he probably didn't know what to say about it.

Date: December 12, 2016 16:50

"You know him, you love him, he's yours, Bob Dylan!"

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 05:02

Socrates1
"You know him, you love him, he's yours, Bob Dylan!"

I actually googled this to see where you got this quote, because it's just so hilarious and at the same time so cynical...

It seems you got this quote... out of your head. thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:01

Now he's got some concert dates lined up in April in Sweden, I wonder if he will deliver his lecture then (and collect his prize money).

Date: December 13, 2016 11:07

jlowe
Now he's got some concert dates lined up in April in Sweden, I wonder if he will deliver his lecture then (and collect his prize money).

He probably will. He has six months to do it, right?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home