Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in literature
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 14, 2016 17:56

I couldn't agree more, Aquamarine, how nicely you put it into words!

I can't help but must quote your post:-

I disagree. I'm a literature professor, for decades, and I would say Dylan is the only musician of his generation whose lyrics stand alone as poetry (and that isn't dissing song lyrics, but acknowledging that, as you suggest, they're a different genre). It's true that the work of a few other songwriters crosses over into poetry, such as Leonard Cohen--but none of them match either the consistency of his poetic power or his incredibly far-reaching influence, on generations of writers (not just song writers). So this is a very well-deserved honor, going to a man who isn't bound by genre or indeed by anything else. And whose very best words aren't matched by anybody else, any time, anywhere.

Congratulations over again, Boby Dylan!

dead.flowers

BTW, I remember that documentary movie about him, don't remember the title though. When it came to his merits for popular music, he kind of said that he'd done nothing in that respect, created nothing new at all, that appeared to me very humble.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:14

I think Dylan is by far the greatest artist of the rock era and think that some of his lyrics are in a league of their own but I also believe some of his lyrics are overrated. I think it got to the point where some people try to make a big deal out of some lyrics he wrote just because he is Bob Dylan.

Someone even mentioned Hurricane in this thread. There is nothing special at all about the lyrics in that song unless you considered defending a cold blooded murderer special. I couldn't even listen top that song knowing what I know.

I don't know how anyone can have a strong opinion of this topic unless they study those who have not won the award. But Its Alright Ma is one example of Dylan that is head and shoulders above all other lyric writers in Rock.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:24

DandelionPowderman
Aquamarine
matxil

I think Bob Dylan is a fantastic song-lyric-writer. So is Chuck Berry. And Tom Waits. And Nick Cave. But it's not literature. It's song lyrics.

I disagree. I'm a literature professor, for decades, and I would say Dylan is the only musician of his generation whose lyrics stand alone as poetry (and that isn't dissing song lyrics, but acknowledging that, as you suggest, they're a different genre). It's true that the work of a few other songwriters crosses over into poetry, such as Leonard Cohen--but none of them match either the consistency of his poetic power or his incredibly far-reaching influence, on generations of writers (not just song writers). So this is a very well-deserved honor, going to a man who isn't bound by genre or indeed by anything else. And whose very best words aren't matched by anybody else, any time, anywhere.

Edited for typos

Lovely, Aquamarine! Can I quote you on this for a Dylan-piece I'm writing for my newspaper? No names, of course. Just the professional view of a literature professor.

Yes, of course! smiling smiley I'm flattered.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:55

Blog by Tom Toles - Why the Rolling Stones should have won the Nobel Prize in this election year: [www.washingtonpost.com] .

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 14, 2016 23:19

DandelionPowderman
Dylan's folk crossed over, and his poetry was way more profound the «she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah.

His impact lyric-wise was stronger, even though he didn't reach the masses instantly.
No argument there, and it isn't my intention to seem critical of his winning the Nobel or to diminish his influence.

I was merely responding to the perception that it was Dylan who changed the course of pop songwriting as it related to Tin Pan Alley.

You know, there's also a strange paradox about Dylan. As much of a huge influence as he was in the mid-sixties on individual artists and groups alike on both sides of the Atlantic, Dylan himself envied bands like the Beatles and Stones, because it was always his secret dream to be a rock star. "In a coat he borrowed from James Dean" as the song goes.

I'm not sure how I helped to inspire your newspaper article, but you're very welcome all the same. smiling smiley Is there any way of obtaining an English translation? I'd be very interested to read it.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: October 15, 2016 00:41

dead.Aquamarine
I disagree. I'm a literature professor, for decades, and I would say Dylan is the only musician of his generation whose lyrics stand alone as poetry (and that isn't dissing song lyrics, but acknowledging that, as you suggest, they're a different genre). It's true that the work of a few other songwriters crosses over into poetry, such as Leonard Cohen--but none of them match either the consistency of his poetic power or his incredibly far-reaching influence, on generations of writers (not just song writers). So this is a very well-deserved honor, going to a man who isn't bound by genre or indeed by anything else. And whose very best words aren't matched by anybody else, any time, anywhere..

Mr. Literature Professor, I'm a fiction writer (published) and have been one for twenty-six years. Whether his lyrics stand alone as poetry is a moot point because they weren't presented as poetry -- they came dancing in with a song.

I like Bob Dylan very much, especially the period between 1965 and 1970, but Dylan's work isn't literature, it's music. If you want to read the lyrics of his songs as poetry, that's fine, but that is not how they were intended.

To me this award is kind of sad because it reminds me that that the written word is in decline. Reading from the page is too much work for most people. It taxes their mental powers and their imaginations. Listening to audio and watching video is so much easier (though not as rewarding). And audio and video are so easy to obtain on the Internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-15 00:41 by Pietro.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 15, 2016 01:11

Pietro
dead.Aquamarine
I disagree. I'm a literature professor, for decades, and I would say Dylan is the only musician of his generation whose lyrics stand alone as poetry (and that isn't dissing song lyrics, but acknowledging that, as you suggest, they're a different genre). It's true that the work of a few other songwriters crosses over into poetry, such as Leonard Cohen--but none of them match either the consistency of his poetic power or his incredibly far-reaching influence, on generations of writers (not just song writers). So this is a very well-deserved honor, going to a man who isn't bound by genre or indeed by anything else. And whose very best words aren't matched by anybody else, any time, anywhere..

Mr. Literature Professor, I'm a fiction writer (published) and have been one for twenty-six years. Whether his lyrics stand alone as poetry is a moot point because they weren't presented as poetry -- they came dancing in with a song.

I like Bob Dylan very much, especially the period between 1965 and 1970, but Dylan's work isn't literature, it's music. If you want to read the lyrics of his songs as poetry, that's fine, but that is not how they were intended.

To me this award is kind of sad because it reminds me that that the written word is in decline. Reading from the page is too much work for most people. It taxes their mental powers and their imaginations. Listening to audio and watching video is so much easier (though not as rewarding). And audio and video are so easy to obtain on the Internet.

So you're seriously claiming for formal reasons he doesn't deserve the prize?
Because he published music with lyrics?
You could draw the conclusion if Dylan only did instrumentals and published the lyrics seperately he well deserved the prize.

That's,to put it mildly,ridiculous.

For example...ever thought of deaf people?
Who never were,are or will be able to listen to the songs...don't you think some of them could enjoy just reading the lyrics?
That's not fiction...for some it's reality.

How to judge his work is a different question.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 15, 2016 01:19

I think it's cool that he won, but there is this...

Why Bob Dylan Shouldn’t Have Gotten a Nobel

Bob Dylan does not deserve the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He does deserve the many Grammys he has received, including a lifetime achievement award, which he won in 1991. He unquestionably belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, into which he was inducted in 1988 along with the Supremes, the Beatles and the Beach Boys. He is a wonderful musician, a world-class songwriter and an enormously influential figure in American culture.

But by awarding the prize to him, the Nobel committee is choosing not to award it to a writer, and that is a disappointing choice.

Link to full article:
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: ladylou ()
Date: October 15, 2016 04:24

"To live outside the law, you must be honest." #BobDylan

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 15, 2016 04:25

Hard-Boiled Woderland and the End of the World-------Haruki Murakami
I'm driving a white Carina 1800 Gt Twin-Gam Turbo. I can't describe the model, but there'll be Bob Dylan on the stereo.
"Bob Dylan?"
He's like, standing at the window, watching the rain.

More power to Haruki Murakami in 2017.winking smiley

Posted by: ladylou ()
Date: October 15, 2016 04:36

latebloomer

He does deserve the many Grammys he has received, including a lifetime achievement award, which he won in 1991. He unquestionably belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, into which he was inducted in 1988 along with the Supremes, the Beatles and the Beach Boys. He is a wonderful musician, a world-class songwriter and an enormously influential figure in American culture.

But by awarding the prize to him, the Nobel committee is choosing not to award it to a writer, and that is a disappointing choice.

Link to full article:
[www.nytimes.com]

THE MAN IS A POET!!!

there is this:

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 15, 2016 04:50

Yeah, I'll take that LadyLou...for sure.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 15, 2016 07:24

Pietro
dead.Aquamarine

Words are words, whether or not they're set to music. Literature consists of words. That simple, really.

Date: October 15, 2016 09:53

And a lot of Dylan's music serve merely as a backdrop to his words.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 15, 2016 10:07

stanlove
I think Dylan is by far the greatest artist of the rock era and think that some of his lyrics are in a league of their own but I also believe some of his lyrics are overrated. I think it got to the point where some people try to make a big deal out of some lyrics he wrote just because he is Bob Dylan.

Someone even mentioned Hurricane in this thread. There is nothing special at all about the lyrics in that song unless you considered defending a cold blooded murderer special. I couldn't even listen top that song knowing what I know.

I don't know how anyone can have a strong opinion of this topic unless they study those who have not won the award. But Its Alright Ma is one example of Dylan that is head and shoulders above all other lyric writers in Rock.

+1. Im a fan but I agree and i bet Dylan does too

Date: October 15, 2016 10:22

I bet none of the prize winners have written top stuff all the way through their careers. Hamsun might be the exception. Then again, he had bigger flaws than that...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 15, 2016 10:25

Pietro
dead.Aquamarine

I agree. On the other hand one could argue that his input on pop music can be likened to a change of paradigm like Hemingway on journalism

Date: October 15, 2016 10:46

"Creating new poetic expressions in pop music".

That's why he got the price smiling smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 15, 2016 12:46

wonderboy
dcba

Next year : a Nobel of Economics for Mick? >grinning smiley<

And then Keith gets one for Medicine.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 15, 2016 13:17

"Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize a Message to Obama" :

[russia-insider.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 15, 2016 15:36

Has Dylan already reacted?
It would be a blast if he would refuse to accept the pricesmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 15, 2016 16:40

I don't think he will. He accepted the Polar prize and came to Stockholm back in 2000. J-P Sartre, however, declined the prize in 1964. Although he secretly called the committee and wanted his prize money in 1975.
Which they, of course, refused him. Some trivia:

- Boris Pasternak wasn't allowed by the Soviet regime to recieve his prize in 1958.
- Three German scientists - Kuhn, Butenandt and Domagk - weren't allowed by @#$%& to collect their prizes in 1938 and 1939.
- Vietnamese politician, Le Duc Tho, refused the Nobel Peace Prize, which he was awarded together with Kissinger, in 1973.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 15, 2016 19:23

Stoneage
I don't think he will. He accepted the Polar prize and came to Stockholm back in 2000. J-P Sartre, however, declined the prize in 1964. Although he secretly called the committee and wanted his prize money in 1975.
Which they, of course, refused him. Some trivia:

- Boris Pasternak wasn't allowed by the Soviet regime to recieve his prize in 1958.
- Three German scientists - Kuhn, Butenandt and Domagk - weren't allowed by @#$%& to collect their prizes in 1938 and 1939.
- Vietnamese politician, Le Duc Tho, refused the Nobel Peace Prize, which he awarded together with Kissinger, in 1973.

- German writer and peace activist Carl von Ossietzky was rewarded with the Nobel Prize for Peace for 1935 but as an inmate of a Nazi concentration camp was not allowed to accept the prize

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 16, 2016 07:08

"It's like pinning a medal on Mount Everest for being the highest mountain."
Leonard Cohen

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 16, 2016 12:09

ladylou
latebloomer

Link to full article:
[www.nytimes.com]

THE MAN IS A POET!!!

there is this:

Awesome!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 16, 2016 13:14

“I totally get the Nobel committee,” novelist Gary Shteyngart jokes, “reading books is hard”

This feels like the lamest Nobel win since they gave it to Obama for not being Bush"
Hari Kunzru

Rest is here :
[www.thewrap.com]

"Lotta noise about Dylan but even you haters have to admit Sweet Child O' Mine is a great song.
— Gabe Habash

"Apparently Bob Dylan's planning a brilliant acceptance speech. Then, to tour an incomprehensible version of it for twenty years. #Nobel
— David Baddiel

“Do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the signs?” —Nobel prize winner Bob Dylan
— Rusty Foster

Rest is here :
[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 13:23 by dcba.

Date: October 16, 2016 13:51

I was a little surprised at this award for Dylan. I think it was mainly the category that threw me; literature. I can think of many writers, with published classics; big books, lots of pages; important words. And I'm not saying this with sarcasm. But what is literature? It doesn't sit stale, and just exist in its own brilliance. It is a message, sent out to other people, to hopefully make them think. And act; and maybe bring about good changes. I guess Dylan did that in spades. How the world thinks today has a lot to do with his writings in the 60's and 70's.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 16, 2016 14:29

He should receive a literary award for the lyrics of "Stuck Inside of Memphis with......

Date: October 16, 2016 17:37

As a stones fan and in a place like this I think it is not a surprise to say that there is not a Dylan's song better than JJF OR Satisfaction or Brown Sugar.

BUT it would be ridiculous recite/read aloud in a classroom:

"House boy knows that he's doin' alright
You should a heard him just around midnight."

By the way,it is hard to find a song as popular as tuti frutti...can you imagine yourself reciting in a high pitched voice and a gaze lost in the horizon:

Bop bopa-a-lu a whop bam boo
Tutti frutti, oh Rudy
Tutti frutti, oh Rudy
Tutti frutti, oh Rudy
Tutti frutti, oh Rudy
Tutti frutti, oh Rudy
A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo
Got a girl named Sue, she knows just what to do
Got a girl named Sue, she knows just what to do
She rock to the east, she rocks to the west
She's the girl that I know best

Fantastic song...but is it a poem...? come on..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 17, 2016 00:20

Its great to see that Bob can still bring controversy, angst, and a call for what was. Like going electric on that fateful night, his choice for the Nobel has stirred up a lot of people's opinions. Yet another reason why Dylan's musical poetry is Nobel worthy. Congrats Bobby Z.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home