Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 26 of 29
The Rolling Stones - Desert Trip, October 7 2016
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 11, 2016 04:00

GREAT photo from Kevin Mazur:

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 11, 2016 07:09

jumpontopofmebaby
HOW MUCH ARE BEERS?

You are talking about the essentials in life? They took my water bottle so I had to buy new ones. Water cost $2 so I will survive. And they have tap water for refill for free. A pizza slice is $7, a small glass of wine is $11, and domestic beer I think is $10 because they gave me back 5 plus 5x1. Stella and Heineken would be $11 I think. I always drink domestic. They have Coors Light. And it is a small aluminum bottle, not a pint.

Parts of the deal is the catering. I was late Sunday and did not get time to eat after breakfast, so there I was at the venue, three slices of pizza, water, drinks etc, easily $50, but judging from people around me most people spend $100 up on food and drinks. Well tickets are $400 - $1700 and hotels are $500 per night so food is pocket money. Still I feel ashamed of the cost level here.

Bjornulf

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 08:10

^ The catering is a gourmet paradise - foods of all nationalities (Korean BBQ, Vietnamese fusion, French, Jamaican, dumplings, pizza, Creole, Teriyaki, plenty of Mexican) + a craft beer bar. I kept my wallet firmly in my pocket though.

For many people, it is basically a fun social gathering with some background music.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2016 08:46

I had a tasty German bratwurst with sauerkraut and mustard on a roll the first night - $7.00 and deeeelicious!
For night two, I started off with a freshly made Korean BBQ chicken bowl w/rice and veggies and sweet and spicy sauce at $10.00. During intermission I was somehow hungry again, so had a gigantic slice of pepperoni and sausage pizza at $7.00- a bit expensive maybe but it tasted good and was a pretty damn big slice! Last night I went to the Greek/Mediterranean food stand during intermission and had an order of excellent homemade hummus and fresh hot pita bread for $7.00. Right next door was a Vietnamese food stand, so I ordered a Vietnamese Iced Tea to go with my Greek appetizer. Never had one before, but they spooned a large amount of fresh fruit in large cup, and filled with iced tea. A bit expensive at $7:00 maybe, but ice cold fresh fruit was fantastic and absolutely perfect in the warm evening air. Throughout the entire weekend, I filled up my large water bottle from the water filling stations, saving alot of money.

Aside from the $40 Desert Trip t-shirt I bought, the prices seemed relatively reasonable and I survived the entire three days for about $38 on food and drink.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 11, 2016 08:55

midimannz Preview

first half [www.youtube.com]

thanks to EddieByword and YouTubers......

enjoy my draft copy of dvd5 disk one [edits to come]

Today was the FIRST time I've heard and saw this show - I have to say in the face of criticism, I enjoyed it. A STRONG beginning SET I felt compared to Ole!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 08:56 by midimannz.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 11, 2016 09:21

The Guardian used that Kevin Mazur shot in its report on "Oldchella": [www.theguardian.com]

Comments below the line suggested that Mick had stolen somebody's Super Mario pyjamas, and that Keith had half a dozen roadies waiting out of shot to help him up from that position... Actually the review is pretty positive.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 09:21

DeanGoodman
^ The catering is a gourmet paradise - foods of all nationalities (Korean BBQ, Vietnamese fusion, French, Jamaican, dumplings, pizza, Creole, Teriyaki, plenty of Mexican) + a craft beer bar. I kept my wallet firmly in my pocket though.

For many people, it is basically a fun social gathering with some background music.

Thats my impression too

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 11, 2016 09:47

Is there a person in the circle of the Stones daring to do ONE critical after a concert?
The Stones are kings surrounded by a silent courtyard.
it does not help to questioning.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 11, 2016 09:51

bv
jumpontopofmebaby
HOW MUCH ARE BEERS?

You are talking about the essentials in life? They took my water bottle so I had to buy new ones. Water cost $2 so I will survive. And they have tap water for refill for free. A pizza slice is $7, a small glass of wine is $11, and domestic beer I think is $10 because they gave me back 5 plus 5x1. Stella and Heineken would be $11 I think. I always drink domestic. They have Coors Light. And it is a small aluminum bottle, not a pint.

Parts of the deal is the catering. I was late Sunday and did not get time to eat after breakfast, so there I was at the venue, three slices of pizza, water, drinks etc, easily $50, but judging from people around me most people spend $100 up on food and drinks. Well tickets are $400 - $1700 and hotels are $500 per night so food is pocket money. Still I feel ashamed of the cost level here.

Interesting as always smoking smiley

Not to compliment you or anything... but...
For what it is worth I very much appreciate your comments, tips and reviews of all things Rolling Stones. I put more weight in what you say(and dont say) than any other Stones information on the planet.

You sometimes inform us of things I do not want like/enjoy to learn, but I believe what you say as you pass along information to us with no hype, not being blinded by rainbows(overly complimentary), not boasting and not being jaded by time(overly critical). You seem to simply tell the tale as it was.

I appreciate learning the straight forward reality told by a man who has been around and probably knows The Stones situations better than anyone. You take us there when we could not be there. Thank you.

I have appreciated your comments and information from the past and I look forward to your comments and information in the future. Long live the Rolling Stones and IORR.org smileys with beer

Date: October 11, 2016 10:15

powerage78
Is there a person in the circle of the Stones daring to do ONE critical after a concert?

Quite a few are rather critical here, aren't they?

It's good to be critical, but one can't expect turning the people who like the show over, agreeing fully to the criticism, right? smiling smiley

Date: October 11, 2016 10:19

Yes smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 10:23

I believe Powerage78 meant critical published reviews like in the old days.

Date: October 11, 2016 10:25

Yes that's it.
And I speak about personnal circle : familiy, close friends, technicians...

"Heu, guys, sorry but some of your solos were awful" ^^

Date: October 11, 2016 10:43

Maybe the reviewers just loved the setting, the lineup and the shows?

It certainly looks that way, judging from what pops up on Google: [www.google.no]

PS: Reviewers don't give a shit about Keith playing bum notes or if Mick rests his voice a bit. It's the total experience they are reviewing. And being on a Stones-show is a spectacle and an experience that's very hard to dismiss as lame. It barely happens if you're there.

PS II: I just watched the entire show, to see what the repeated critisicm was all about. Not their best show, by a mile, but it was good. So was the guitar playing. In fact, I haven't heard Ronnie as good as on Ride 'Em On Down and Rambler for a while. Keith's Little T+A was really good, too, after a ramshackle start, and his solo was good. He did a bad solo on YGMR, where his fingers seemed rather stiff (he had to take a break?). But they got warm (both Keith's fingers and the band). Come Together (with good sound) was excellent, imo.

An uneven show, but a good one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 11:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 11, 2016 11:53

powerage78

Actually, the only harsh criticism of the band is, ironically enough, usually found on hard-core Stones fan websites and boards, like IORR. Setlists, guitar solos, Chuck Leavell, Daryl Jones, too little Taylor, too much Taylor, Mick's vocals, horn players, background vocalists, cash grabs, VIP ticket prices, private shows for wealthy, not enough "lucky dips" etc. All understandable criticisms, especially if your standard is $5.00 to see the band before Mick and Keith conspired to push out Brian. I think many reviewers are looking at the entire show compared to other shows in the past 2-3 decades, and many fans don't even have any idea about the history and have never seen the Gimme Shelter film. Other fans, although long timers like myself, agree with much of the criticism but attend because they still enjoy the show.

The blues number blew me away on Friday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 11:54 by drbryant.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 11, 2016 12:36

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
HMS
If he is still able to play decent solos on some songs, why´d he fuk up SFTD everytime?

The answer is - he ain´t fukin up, he plays what he WANTS to play. One more time, he´s in absolute control and HE KNOWS what he´s doing. Not EVERY single wrong note may be intended (there have always been wrong notes here and there since the very beginning) but overall he is sounding like he wants to sound, making the noise he wants to make. Great noise.

I´ve not lost my mind. I dig the man. Most of you obviously don´t.

Yet you think his newest solo album blows.

Bad playing is bad playing. And bad hearing is bad hearing.

You have bad hearing that can't hear bad playing.

Oh my God - There's no way in hell Keith WANTS to hit those horrible off-key notes! That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....

I hear what I hear and I like what I hear. There are only very few really horrible notes on SFTD. And still they are in some way charming. If Keith wants to make this noise on SFTD it´s not bad playing - it´s intentional.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 11, 2016 12:55

drbryant
powerage78

Actually, the only harsh criticism of the band is, ironically enough, usually found on hard-core Stones fan websites and boards, like IORR. Setlists, guitar solos, Chuck Leavell, Daryl Jones, too little Taylor, too much Taylor, Mick's vocals, horn players, background vocalists, cash grabs, VIP ticket prices, private shows for wealthy, not enough "lucky dips" etc. All understandable criticisms, especially if your standard is $5.00 to see the band before Mick and Keith conspired to push out Brian. I think many reviewers are looking at the entire show compared to other shows in the past 2-3 decades, and many fans don't even have any idea about the history and have never seen the Gimme Shelter film. Other fans, although long timers like myself, agree with much of the criticism but attend because they still enjoy the show.

The blues number blew me away on Friday.

Yup, absolutely spot on ! thumbs up grinning smiley

And that blues number they performed did indeed sound great. I for one can't wait for the new album's release.

One of the best 'Stones related' concerts I've ever attended was Ronnie's 'tribute to Jimmy Reed' at the Royal Albert Hall. That was simply fantastic. This blues album holds great promise therefore, a whole album's worth of great old blues numbers by some of the true greats, roll on 2nd December !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 13:53

bv
jumpontopofmebaby
HOW MUCH ARE BEERS?

What a steal, lol.

That's what rock 'n roll has become. It's ridiculous, really.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 14:05

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
HMS
If he is still able to play decent solos on some songs, why´d he fuk up SFTD everytime?

The answer is - he ain´t fukin up, he plays what he WANTS to play. One more time, he´s in absolute control and HE KNOWS what he´s doing. Not EVERY single wrong note may be intended (there have always been wrong notes here and there since the very beginning) but overall he is sounding like he wants to sound, making the noise he wants to make. Great noise.

Oh my God - There's no way in hell Keith WANTS to hit those horrible off-key notes! That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....

Either he is joking or he is looking desperately looking for excuses.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 11, 2016 14:39

I just can't be bothered to get into that whole issue of Keith's playing again.

It's been kicked around these pages for years.

Suffice is to say that over the course of a show he still manages to conjour up enough moments of pure magic to keep me happy.

He's still coming up with clever new licks for old songs that leave me thinking "Sh*t...why couldn't I have thought of that one !"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 16:06 by Spud.

Date: October 11, 2016 15:38

Yes he does. Sometimes he bums a note, sometimes he plays in wrong key, but to some degree it happened in the past too. But he still often does his magic. See e.g. here, how he comes from ordinary playing to moment of happiness.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 11, 2016 15:47

Hansman
bv
jumpontopofmebaby
HOW MUCH ARE BEERS?

What a steal, lol.

That's what rock 'n roll has become. It's ridiculous, really.

My thoughts exactly. This "festival" is just a corporate event on a bigger scale.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2016 15:57

OK, I just watched a video of the whole Desert Trip show and I feel like I jumped the gun saying how bad they sounded. The first videos I saw were SFTD and Come Together, not the shows strongest moments. Overall, not a bad performance. Not a great one either, but the Stones have never been totally consistent. Yeah, Keith botched some things but this ain't the first time. I think the Stones still have the potential for greatness on a good night. Fingers crossed for weekend two!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 11, 2016 16:01

HonkeyTonkFlash
OK, I just watched a video of the whole Desert Trip show and I feel like I jumped the gun saying how bad they sounded. The first videos I saw were SFTD and Come Together, not the shows strongest moments. Overall, not a bad performance. Not a great one either, but the Stones have never been totally consistent. Yeah, Keith botched some things but this ain't the first time. I think the Stones still have the potential for greatness on a good night. Fingers crossed for weekend two!

I watched it, too. And when hearing for instance Come Together and Ride 'Em On Down with good sound it sounded fantastic.

Why? Because I finally could hear what everyone was playing smiling smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:08

I just listened to a very raw Gimme Shelter "Desert Trip" , on YT, and it sounds great to me.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:24

runaway
I just listened to a very raw Gimme Shelter "Desert Trip" , on YT, and it sounds great to me.

There were many song from this concert which sounded great but Gimme Shelter was not one of them. It was way to wobbly and ragged without any power or energy.

Honestly I haven't heard a great Gimme Shelter since 2003.

Date: October 11, 2016 16:35

TheBlockbuster
runaway

There were many song from this concert which sounded great but Gimme Shelter was not one of them. It was way to wobbly and ragged without any power or energy.

Honestly I haven't heard a great Gimme Shelter since 2003.

Check out the GS with Florence Welsh guesting. That was breathtaking, imo.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:50

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
HMS

Right. As I said somewhere about people complaining about people commenting on how bad Keith etc sounds: no one wants them to sound terrible.

Screw ups are screw ups - and they can be funny (Miami 1994, She's So Cold 1982 etc) but when it's just bad playing, as that SFTD is, well, it's bad playing.

Which a kook loves here. Keep in mind the definition of "few", used in a political manner ie lying, and the reality of what Keith did, which was "a lot", as made clear by this troglovomit:

HMS
I hear what I hear and I like what I hear. There are only very few really horrible notes on SFTD. And still they are in some way charming. If Keith wants to make this noise on SFTD it´s not bad playing - it´s intentional.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:56

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
HMS

Right. As I said somewhere about people complaining about people commenting on how bad Keith etc sounds: no one wants them to sound terrible.

Screw ups are screw ups - and they can be funny (Miami 1994, She's So Cold 1982 etc) but when it's just bad playing, as that SFTD is, well, it's bad playing.

Which a kook loves here. Keep in mind the definition of "few", used in a political manner ie lying, and the reality of what Keith did, which was "a lot", as made clear by this troglovomit:

HMS
To me, there's a big difference between the gloriously ragged, sloppy playing of the Stones in the '70s and the early '80s, and the more recent instances where Keith's playing is completely out to lunch...it makes him look frail and feeble and it's sad to see.

Even the Miami '94 botch-job was charming because he laughed and shrugged it off instantly...sometimes it doesn't even seem he's aware of how bad he sounds nowadays, or doesn't care.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:57

keefriff99

Even the Miami '94 botch-job was charming because he laughed and shrugged it off instantly...sometimes it doesn't even seem he's aware of how bad he sounds nowadays, or doesn't care.

Keef's reply : "I give you my best every night so bugger off you w@nker!" >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 26 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home