Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 27 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:58

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
runaway
I just listened to a very raw Gimme Shelter "Desert Trip" , on YT, and it sounds great to me.

There were many song from this concert which sounded great but Gimme Shelter was not one of them. It was way to wobbly and ragged without any power or energy.

Honestly I haven't heard a great Gimme Shelter since 2003.

Check out the GS with Florence Welsh guesting. That was breathtaking, imo.

Just listened to it, and it's indeed great! Not necessarily because of Florence Welsh but the whole band was just on. Same with Champagne And Reefer from the same concert. thumbs up

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2016 17:12

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
OK, I just watched a video of the whole Desert Trip show and I feel like I jumped the gun saying how bad they sounded. The first videos I saw were SFTD and Come Together, not the shows strongest moments. Overall, not a bad performance. Not a great one either, but the Stones have never been totally consistent. Yeah, Keith botched some things but this ain't the first time. I think the Stones still have the potential for greatness on a good night. Fingers crossed for weekend two!

I watched it, too. And when hearing for instance Come Together and Ride 'Em On Down with good sound it sounded fantastic.

Why? Because I finally could hear what everyone was playing smiling smiley

Yes, the blues tune was a standout indeed!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 11, 2016 17:54

No need a lot to play well smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

HonkeyTonkFlash
OK, I just watched a video of the whole Desert Trip show and I feel like I jumped the gun saying how bad they sounded. The first videos I saw were SFTD and Come Together, not the shows strongest moments. Overall, not a bad performance. Not a great one either, but the Stones have never been totally consistent. Yeah, Keith botched some things but this ain't the first time. I think the Stones still have the potential for greatness on a good night. Fingers crossed for weekend two!

Ah ah always the same foolishness, thanks to come back to the next show, and sorry for this one, yes it was very disappointing. Ah yes, you must pay again eye rolling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 17:58 by powerage78.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2016 18:41

Will the Stones rise to the challenge for Desert weekend two?

After licking their wounds, and shaking off the desert dust from weekend one while recuperating in their 5 star hotels ,
they'll have to up their game and go out with a bang. Not an easy task considering what they're up against, but I've got a feeling.....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 19:03

keefriff99
Even the Miami '94 botch-job was charming because he laughed and shrugged it off instantly...sometimes it doesn't even seem he's aware of how bad he sounds nowadays, or doesn't care.

That was a good one. He must not've heard it because no one else on stage heard it - or acknowledged it. Ronnie thought it was great. And it was only for a measure or two while he was walking.

But... it did start off with the posing and goofing around.

He's back to that three note strangling. Weird.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 11, 2016 19:12

HonkeyTonkFlash
I also watched all the videos again today. I think there were just many different factors adding up:

Obviously Jagger had voice problems due to the dry desert air. But also the others might not be used to the hot temperature and dry air, so it could have affected them as well.
Secondly, Richards was maybe a little nervus since it was the opening night of such a big festival. Also he was still rusty. And just think about the combination of medicaments (he has to take them since the head surgery), alcohol, weed, and heat..
Then the crowd was not the best. The Stones get their energy from the audience so you can't expect them to be super-enthusiastic if the crowd isn't, especially after playing in South America.
As a band they are still a bit rusty after not playing together for half a year.

Now takes all those things together. But that doesn't mean they are in a overall bad shape, I guess they will play better on the 2nd night and will be great in Vegas!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 19:14 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: October 11, 2016 19:16

potus43
I guess if they continue to do CT that is another opportunity to take a leak (Piss You being the other). So THAT'S a positive
When I see Mick singing OBLADIOBLADA then I will know it is really OVER!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 11, 2016 19:21

Hairball
I had a tasty German bratwurst with sauerkraut and mustard on a roll the first night - $7.00 and deeeelicious!
For night two, I started off with a freshly made Korean BBQ chicken bowl w/rice and veggies and sweet and spicy sauce at $10.00. During intermission I was somehow hungry again, so had a gigantic slice of pepperoni and sausage pizza at $7.00- a bit expensive maybe but it tasted good and was a pretty damn big slice! Last night I went to the Greek/Mediterranean food stand during intermission and had an order of excellent homemade hummus and fresh hot pita bread for $7.00. Right next door was a Vietnamese food stand, so I ordered a Vietnamese Iced Tea to go with my Greek appetizer. Never had one before, but they spooned a large amount of fresh fruit in large cup, and filled with iced tea. A bit expensive at $7:00 maybe, but ice cold fresh fruit was fantastic and absolutely perfect in the warm evening air. Throughout the entire weekend, I filled up my large water bottle from the water filling stations, saving alot of money.

Aside from the $40 Desert Trip t-shirt I bought, the prices seemed relatively reasonable and I survived the entire three days for about $38 on food and drink.

OK so that's the first IORR post that ever made me hungry.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 11, 2016 19:38

There are three groups at work:
1. Hardcore Stones fans, who are kind of divided between the a) I know they're old, Keith is rusty, Mick didn't like the dry air but let's enjoy it while it lasts because *they're the Stones*, and b) we love them, but they're old, it's making me feel old and the magic is fading. I am kind of in this camp.
2. People who go to these festivals because they have the money and time and it gives me them status; like somebody said, it's a cocktail party with music. Next year they'll have the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac and the same people will show up.
3. The broader culture, to whom the Stones are just no longer relevant anymore. That's cool, they had their run and their 'legacy' is more hinderence than help these days.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 11, 2016 20:07

No matter how hard I try I do not notice anything wrong regarding Mick´s voice. Watching the clips I think he´s in great form (as usual).

The Stones were nervous because it was the first gig and an unusual audience? Come on, they are the Stones. How could they be nervous? After 54 years of being the Stones? Is the pope nervous on Easter monday? The Stones have been in front of a huge crowd a couple of times before that.

How could the heat have affected them? They played hotter places in SA.
They are old? ALL of the artists playing that festival are old. Some have younger band mates, but all of the singers are old.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 11, 2016 20:20

wonderboy
There are three groups at work:
1. Hardcore Stones fans, who are kind of divided between the a) I know they're old, Keith is rusty, Mick didn't like the dry air but let's enjoy it while it lasts because *they're the Stones*, and b) we love them, but they're old, it's making me feel old and the magic is fading. I am kind of in this camp.
2. People who go to these festivals because they have the money and time and it gives me them status; like somebody said, it's a cocktail party with music. Next year they'll have the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac and the same people will show up.
3. The broader culture, to whom the Stones are just no longer relevant anymore. That's cool, they had their run and their 'legacy' is more hinderence than help these days.

The Eagles will not be there.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 11, 2016 20:20

just watched the sympathy video,it's not really that bad.not the best stones show and not the worst and they'll probably be better next time.

the problem is the band is a victim of their own success-too many huge shows where showmanship and theater are the focus rather than the actual playing.
keith feels he needs to run around the stage and be a rockstar,walking out on the catwalk and stepping in front of mick as if he's fighting to be the frontman.
stepping out front is great if you play an amazing lead and then step back but he's playing these disjointed notes,running around the stage and posing and it turns into a mess.he need to realize his hands aren't nimble enough to play lead anymore, he should stick to the rhythm like he did in the mick taylor days.
it might not feed his ego but it would probably help the overall sound of the show.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 11, 2016 20:23

steverogan

The Eagles will not be there.

I don't keep up with them, but if not them, just whatever bands were big in the 70s and are still healthy and together.
Or maybe this big festival type thing is just a boomer thing.
Do you think they could get a big turnout for R.E.M. and Talking Heads and acts from that era?
I wonder if U2 would be a candidate for this.

Date: October 11, 2016 21:54

HMS
No matter how hard I try I do not notice anything wrong regarding Mick´s voice. Watching the clips I think he´s in great form (as usual).

Not sure if you're trolling but listen to the first verse of JJF in both of these videos, unless you're completely tone deaf you will notice that Mick reaches a higher note in the video from 2015:

JJF Indianapolis 2015

JJF Desert Trip 2016

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 11, 2016 22:22

TheBlockbuster
HMS

Not sure if you're trolling but listen to the first verse of JJF in both of these videos, unless you're completely tone deaf you will notice that Mick reaches a higher note in the video from 2015:

JJF Indianapolis 2015

JJF Desert Trip 2016

Watched both clips and each performance should leave any audience satisfied.
Note: JJF was opening song in Indianapolis (No.1) and (almost) showstopper (No.18) in the desert. So in the first clip Mick is rested and fresh, in the second he´s already done a show when singing JJF.

Date: October 11, 2016 22:28

Looking to upgrade to Pit thru Stub Hub.....but have to pick Tickets/ Wrist Bands up
there. Anyone ever done this before? And is it safe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 22:28 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: October 11, 2016 22:34

HMS
TheBlockbuster
HMS

JJF Indianapolis 2015

JJF Desert Trip 2016

Watched both clips and each performance should leave any audience satisfied.
Note: JJF was opening song in Indianapolis (No.1) and (almost) showstopper (No.18) in the desert. So in the first clip Mick is rested and fresh, in the second he´s already done a show when singing JJF.

Okay try this: JJF Lima 2016

That's the 14th song from Lima and Mick still reaches higher than at Desert Trip.

Mick has never had this problem with JJF, so it's a bit worrying, some say it's the desert air, but judging by the few snippets his voice was the same at the trucker gig. I hope it will recover!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 22:35 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 22:35

jumpontopofmebaby
Looking to upgrade to Pit thru Stub Hub.....but have to pick Tickets/ Wrist Bands up

Yes, perfectly safe. Stubhub has a suite at the Hyatt Indian Wells; plenty of parking signs. Try and get there early. You may have to wait upwards of 30 mins. It is well organized, though. That hefty premium you pay does have some benefit. The wristband is preactivated.

Date: October 11, 2016 22:38

DeanGoodman
jumpontopofmebaby

Yes, perfectly safe. Stubhub has a suite at the Hyatt Indian Wells; plenty of parking signs. Try and get there early. You may have to wait upwards of 30 mins. It is well organized, though. That hefty premium you pay does have some benefit. The wristband is preactivated.

Great and thank you

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 11, 2016 22:39

I do not understand why the sound of Keith's guitar is so over the top and scratchy.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 11, 2016 23:53

Re: Jagger's voice not up to par in the Desert, JJF comparisons,
did not go thru all links, but, had the thought
are you comparing opening w/ JJF, or a recent show where JJF is toward the end,
no matter to me, perhaps I'm not the best critic when blinded by Jagger opening a show chomping on his gum, suppressing his smile, taking it all on.
So that adrenaline of opening show w/ JJF may affect what octave.

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 03:59

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 04:06

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 09:42

maradona
crholmstrom
SFTD is painful. Makes me sad some.

...whereas Little T&A - a trainwreck when last performed back in Russia 2007 - was a refreshing and decent surprise in my opinion!

How come Keith is doing so much better on a track he did not perform for nearly a decade while SFTD is constantly going down the drain these days?!?! confused smiley

because he's bored of it.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 10:07

TheBlockbuster
runaway
I just listened to a very raw Gimme Shelter "Desert Trip" , on YT, and it sounds great to me.

There were many song from this concert which sounded great but Gimme Shelter was not one of them. It was way to wobbly and ragged without any power or energy.

It's great in Havana Moon.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 12, 2016 12:08

TheBlockbuster
runaway

How many times have you heard it live since 2003?

I first heard Gimme Shelter live on the Bridges to Babylon tour. It was simply amazing. In the years prior to the Licks tour, I had played No Security (Gimme Shelter from MTV) and the B-side of Saint of Me (Gimme Shelter from Paradiso) almost to death. Both versions are immortal. As a result, I was honestly a bit disapointed with the version they did on the Licks tour without the guitar intro. I need Keith to play the intro.

The versions I heard on A Bigger Bang didn't quite reach the Babylon standard.
But from 2012 and onwards, I've heard some amazing versions that are closer to the versions I relish from the Voodoo club shows and BTB tour.
02 London shows comes to mind. Dusseldorf 2014 was a killer + many others.

In 2012-16 Gimme Shelter is normally one of the highlights at every show IMO.

Posted by: FeelinRealWell ()
Date: October 12, 2016 15:16

Don't post too much but I had to chime in here. Might get my opinion bashed, but whatever....Ladies and gents these are the Rolling Stones we are discussing. Let's go to an extreme and say you've attended 100 of their concerts, that's still only a hundred nights of your entire life that you were graced with the atmosphere, the presence, the vibe and fun of the greatest band that ever lived. Why are we nitpicking subpar Richards' solos or Wood waving too much. These men are in their 70s and still putting themselves out there (and yes taking our money).It's a rock show! Are they standing up straight and something resembling a Stones song emanating from the stage?! Great, indulge in a beer or three with a friend or loved one and enjoy! ....or don't but STFU already. It's 2016 and you know exactly what and how they're gonna play every single night. There are no surprises, hell they don't really owe us any surprises. You can sorta watch a show as it's happening from your couch!
I guess my point is, I've seen them a dozen times, and nothing beats the feeling you have the day of the show, the anticipation, the happiness. Hell, I remember when I took my wife for her first show (Barclay's) I was visibly nervous! ...if you don't get that vibe anymore, simply don't go. If you're complaining they play the same set, go only once! Did they happen to have not their best show when you went and spent all that money? Well sometimes you pay for great seats at a baseball game and your team loses 9-0. Go, don't go, it's up to you.... but dissecting a rock show for bad notes or misses chords or whatever is plain silly to me. They are the Stones folks, we are blessed to still have them.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: October 12, 2016 15:47

Exactly FRW, it's all about being there!
I could not resist the temptation: Just decided to go for PIT and car camping. Coming via Switzerland. Any IORR Meeting envisaged, eg during the first set on Friday?

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Date: October 12, 2016 15:48

The Worst.
TheBlockbuster
runaway

How many times have you heard it live since 2003?

I first heard Gimme Shelter live on the Bridges to Babylon tour. It was simply amazing. In the years prior to the Licks tour, I had played No Security (Gimme Shelter from MTV) and the B-side of Saint of Me (Gimme Shelter from Paradiso) almost to death. Both versions are immortal. As a result, I was honestly a bit disapointed with the version they did on the Licks tour without the guitar intro. I need Keith to play the intro.

The versions I heard on A Bigger Bang didn't quite reach the Babylon standard.
But from 2012 and onwards, I've heard some amazing versions that are closer to the versions I relish from the Voodoo club shows and BTB tour.
02 London shows comes to mind. Dusseldorf 2014 was a killer + many others.

In 2012-16 Gimme Shelter is normally one of the highlights at every show IMO.

I just listened to Gimme Shelter from Dusseldorf and while it's okay and better than at Desert Trip, it's still rather lousy compared to any version 1995-2003. Can't stand Keith's as earlier stated ''scratchy and over the top'' guitar sound.

Keith should really go back to playing a ES-335 with less distortion on Gimme Shelter and SFTD. Maybe Gimme Shelter will sound less pedestrian if they turn up Chuck's keyboard in the mix.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 16:42

Yes, please, turn up Chuck's keyboard in the mix, he is not and will never be Stu...

The last explosive Gimme Shelter version for me is Paradisio 1995 :
[vimeo.com]

2012-16 Gimme Shelter versions in comparaison are just pale (bad) copies...

And my god, what about Sympathy...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 27 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home