Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:14

MisterDDDD
Loved the setlist from last night!
Both of Keith's songs and Come Together being the standout surprises for me. I'm going next weekend (*Just scored a pit ticket for $389 on stubhub!!)and am hopeful there are perhaps even one or two more or different surprises.
Gotta think they'll up the ante a bit...

Good job! It's pit or nothing at this thing, I am afraid. Pit is very intimate and relaxed. It feels like a private show for a few thousand people. Everything else at the venue is a waste of time. I strongly urge people to upgrade.

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:15

A few random thoughts of night 1 of weekend 1:

Roger Waters' gigantic screen is unbelievably amazing!!!eye popping smiley

Shuttle to and from hotel was like being in summer camp filled with happy concert goers reveling in the excitement with the stereo blasting tunes from all bands on the bill. Jumped on the first shuttle at 1:30 to arrive their early and get the lay of the land. The festival grounds are literally like a mini village with different 'neighborhoods' to roam around for food, drinks, and an actual record store!!!, There was an amazing large air conditioned gallery showcasing a Photography exhibit from the best rock photographers in history. Filled with iconic photos of all the bands throughout their history (some I've never seen before), it was a good way to spend an hour out of the sun. There was also a large bar in the center of the gallery with couches, tables, etc, to lounge around. And speaking of couches, etc., there were many outdoor areas throughout the site designed for kicking back, eating drinking, etc. while sitting on 5 star quality furniture!

Once I scoped all that out, I made my way into the adjoining concert site itself which was insanely massive! The screen stood tall and proud like a beacon in the distance - it was surreal to enter the area with thousands of empty chairs, and a close to empty pit area. It's hard to describe the size of the place as it was so huge - not only far back, but the width from left to right. There must have been 100 yard distance between left and right grandstands, and from the stage to the rear of the GA it must have been twice that distance. With the giant stage screen along with giant 'smaller' screens for the GA folks, nobody would have a problem seeing what was happening on stage.

Pre-show early evening, the screen lit up with gigantic panoramic views of the Desert. The pre-filmed scenes reflected real time and changed accordingly. From blazing sunny mirages and scenic Desert landscapes, to the sunset lighting up the sky with purples, oranges, and pinks, to star filled darkness. If one stared at the screen, it was almost hard to differentiate that from what was happening in reality. When the sun finally set, so did the images on the screen with a dark starry desert night - shooting stars and all!

On with the show...

Dylan's set was absolutely great, and with the the gigantic screen as a backdrop it was visually stunning, not to mention the LOUD volume of the state of the art sound system. A brief segment of photos and clips of Dylan throughout his long career began the show when suddenly his band started cranking away. He opened with a rollicking bar room Rainy Day Women ?12 & 35 ("everybody must get stoned" ) which established his greatness to those who've never seen him, before moving forward and being his quirky self with re-intepretations of many of his songs (Don't Think Twice, It's All Right, Highway 61 Revisited, Tangled up in Blue, et al). Crispy clear close-ups of Dylan and band from different angles, along with vintage black and white news and film clips interspersed was the perfect backdrop for the old timer legend. Prior to his set, I wasn't sure how well he could pull it off in a giant festival setting. Probably not to everyone's liking, but he easily held his own and most of the crowd seemed to enjoy it to the end. As for me, I can honestly say it was one of the best Dylan experiences I've ever witnessed live.

After a brief intermission, it was time for the Stones. They utilized the screen and sound system to the fullest - their pre-show video intro was loud and visually stunning. Bursts of red and thundering booms, the stage was set for what some still refer to as 'worlds greatest rock and roll band' which they definitely once were. Opening with warhorse staple Start Me Up (not a personal favorite, but perfect choice for this type of crowd), the Stones put on a typical state of the art Stones show - warts and all. Ride 'Em on Down, was easily a top highlight, and I wish the set consisted of more of that, but dream on. Also a surprising cover of the Beatles' Come Together which should finally put the Stones/Beatles rivalry to rest - it was great homage to their brethren, albeit slightly sloppy and clunky. Midnight Rambler is what the Stones are all about in a live setting for me, and no doubt the nights ultmate highlight. No matter how many times I've seen the Stones (in small clubs, arenas, and stadiums), and just when I'm about to write them off as over the hill, faded, and shadows of their former selves - they can still deliver a somewhat memorable show (for what it's worth, it was much better than the San Diego opener I saw last tour). Sure Ronnie isn't the worlds greatest guitarist. Yes Keith has lost some of his mojo. Obviously Mick has lost a step or two in his energy. But Charlie remains the engine that keeps the band chugging, and because of that is probably the main reason why they're still worth seeing live.

As everyone was standing and the aisles were clogged during the Stones set, I was able to bounce around and maneuver here and there throughout the show. It was great to get up close, but it was also great to step back within the first 30 rows and absorb the visuals on the giant screen along the overall atmosphere of the entire site. And as someone with a bad knee, it was nice to have a chair to rest my bones every once in awhile.

If the festival was over last night, it would already stand as one of the best all around concert experiences I've ever been to. But we've only just begun. The bar has been set last night, and Neil Young should be explosive tonight, with Paul McCartney probably putting on one of the best shows he's ever done. And then there's tomorrow. The Who have some hard acts to follow, but am sure they'll give it their best shot. And then there will be the ultimate closing set of Roger Waters who will be basking in all the glory. For those who have been on the fence wondering if this event is worthwhile, I'd highly recommend going next weekend - especially when you can easily get tickets at heavily dicounted prices right now. Pit tickets are currently as low as $399 for next weekend....do it now!

It's still hard to fathom that all these acts are on the same bill - all of which are in my top 10 favorites for one reason or another or another (Beatles>Paul). And if this first weekend isn't enough to fulfill my rock and roll fantasy show, I always have next weekend to contend with. thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 21:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:20

Socrates1
Some of you people are brutal!

It's just reality.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:21

Thank you Hairball, lovely review. smiling smiley

Date: October 8, 2016 22:24

HMS
GasLightStreet
SFTD was horrible, completely lifeless. Keith's solos were just mind bogglingly awful! What the hell!

But hey, HMS thinks that kind of playing is brilliant.

I love those grumpy growling sounds Keith played on SFTD. Unique. His playing in some way seems to be more "alive" than in 1989/90, where he was technically better but sounded somewhat sterile. Now there´s glimmer and gleam, even in the wrong notes. Keith let the sparks fly!

You like wrong/bad notes. It wasn't unique - because he's murdered that solo a lot. What you call glimmer and gleam is what is in reality worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:25

latebloomer

My thoughts exactly!

Thank you and have fun tonight, Hairball. thumbs up

Date: October 8, 2016 22:27

keithsman
Woz
I have to laugh at much of what I'm reading here....JJF had no energy? Keith can't play? The sound inside was huge. The guitars cackling with energy. I had a great time. That was my 36th show since '78....I've seen the Stones good bad and ugly and that was a strong show last night....

Agreed, people sit at home watching crap youtube videos recorded by devises that are not intended for loud music and think that that's how the Stones sound live. I have never come away from a Stones gig thinking the guitars sound is crap or they can't play . Keith's actual guitar 'sound' since 2012 has been incredible live, ok he needs a few gigs to get going properly but that's not going to happen on this tour so i would recommend people lowering their expectations a bit.

The sound quality recorded by devices has no relevance to bad notes. Bad notes are bad notes.

It's amazing how he can be brilliant on one song, say Monkey Man or Midnight Rambler - and just terrible on another - 101% of the time it being SFTD.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:28

Come Together was a misfire, it just didn't work. I've seen both Aerosmith and Michael Jackson do a better job on this song. Do I care? Of course not. I love when the Stones take chances and do a random cover!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:35

mnewman505
Come Together was a misfire, it just didn't work. I've seen both Aerosmith and Michael Jackson do a better job on this song. Do I care? Of course not. I love when the Stones take chances and do a random cover!

Ronnie unfortunately sucked the big one on Come Together, but still, it was something different from the usual setlist and that's the main thing.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:38

yeah there were bad notes,and as someone who cannot stand the fckng beatles that cover made me cringe-when you have a catalogue like that why waste a spot on a cover.
plus it just strokes goofy pauls ego..but still i think hairballs review was the reality-a solid show.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:49

Cristiano Radtke
latebloomer

My thoughts exactly!

Thanks as well, Hairball!
Looking forward to your take on tonight..

Date: October 8, 2016 22:52

MisterDDDD
Cristiano Radtke
latebloomer

My thoughts exactly!

Thanks as well, Hairball!
Looking forward to your take on tonight..

You're all welcome - good times!
As for tonight- I can probably sum it all up in one word (or name): NEIL

winking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:54

I've watched pretty much all the songs from this show now, and I can without doubt say it is not one of their best. Keith seems to be struggling more than usual and only giving flashes of what he can do. I'm sure if you were there is would seem a very different, as we al know, nothing compares to being at a live show and experiencing the sensory overload. Video clips are only a fraction of the show, but they do show poor musicianship, where as when you are at the show these things slip by often unnoticed -it's not so important.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:56

Hansman
Thanks for all the YouTube links. Much appreciated.

My honest impression: I watched most of them now and I must say that the Stones sound really really bad on most songs. It reminded me a lot of some of the ABB shows I have seen which were mostly terrible. Keith really has lost all his chops by now. You can't call that guitar playing anymore. It's a joke really. Same with Ronnie. That "solo" in Start Me Up is laughable. In fact, I find it embarrassing what Ronnie and Keith delivered here. Charlie plays stiffer than ever. I can't hear any swing or groove in his drumming. Mick sounds as if he holds back for some reason. The entire band just doesn't flow. I wished I could praise and celebrate them, but to my ears they sound really, really horrible.

Sad.
Whatever the hell Ronnie was doing, it wasn't soloing. Just atrocious.

And SFTD was a trainwreck. Keith's playing was completely devoid of dynamics or rhythm...just all over the place and incomprehensible.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:57

Cristiano Radtke
latebloomer

My thoughts exactly!

Yeah real nice, cheers smileys with beer

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 8, 2016 23:01

So embarrassing, but maybe a laugh.
1). If you are not live at the show, the next best thing is trying to tune
in LIVE via electronic devices as the band is actually playing.
This will take determination, encouragement from your fellow @ home RS fans, 2-3 fully charged devices, blu tooth headphones, nerve tonics.
It is NOT the same as looking at utube clips the next day at your leisure.

'Come Together'

all day out I could not remember if Mick moaned the vocals.
Surely I'd remember, I thought. Then I started hearing it in my head.
Double check:
[m.youtube.com]
Nope, the harp.
You look hot Mick in your athletic gear. Those Adidas pants?
And you know I'm on that shirt.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 8, 2016 23:19

Hansman
Thanks for all the YouTube links. Much appreciated.

My honest impression: I watched most of them now and I must say that the Stones sound really really bad on most songs. It reminded me a lot of some of the ABB shows I have seen which were mostly terrible. Keith really has lost all his chops by now. You can't call that guitar playing anymore. It's a joke really. Same with Ronnie. That "solo" in Start Me Up is laughable. In fact, I find it embarrassing what Ronnie and Keith delivered here. Charlie plays stiffer than ever. I can't hear any swing or groove in his drumming. Mick sounds as if he holds back for some reason. The entire band just doesn't flow. I wished I could praise and celebrate them, but to my ears they sound really, really horrible.

This is very hard to accept as a Stones fan but indeed the groove is not always there. I hear the stiff drumming on the new ''Just Your Fool'' also, and I guess this will also appear on the other tracks. We may not get that Stonesy ''blues groove'' found on songs like ''So Young'' (1994).

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 8, 2016 23:23

Thanks Hairball. I always love to hear when somebody had a good time. And it sure sounds like you did.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: October 8, 2016 23:25

What a great day, great venue and of course, great band.

Ran into BV and Jim Pietrayga (sp?) at the hotel and was nice to connect with Jim after meeting him on line in 1997 at Undercover in my former life as CHELSKEITH, lol.

Got to the RV camping part of the venue early afternoon and started the day off right. Definitely regretted doing a hotel versus an RV or camping and being there.

Then did the Culinary experience and what a smart move that was, a bit pricey but all the great food you can eat and lots of drink you can get on - all highly rated chefs serving their most tasty dishes, we had a variety of drinks from craft beer to small batch bourbon to fresh coconut in deserttrip stamped coconut shells with a straw. Huge area, lots of places to sit and hang for hours before the show.

Dylan was good, but still cant forgive him for what he's doing to Tangled Up in Blue. Hwy 61 was good, as was Desolation Row and a few others, band was tight.

We sat in GA lawn chairs we brought that were so far from the stage you couldnt even see anyone on stage, but the video and audio was spotless, perfect, clear and made the show enjoyable.

Bring a bandana as the way out is do dusty your throat will hurt.

Highlights for me were Darryl's Bass solo in Miss You that Mick called out nicely, longest solo ever in the middle of a Stones set I can recall.

Come Together was surprising, and interesting and good for a one time filler-will be interesting to see if MACCA returns the challenge. Here's the video.

[youtu.be]

The part when Rambler kicks into gear was just awesome, as it always is. Cant wait to hear that boot. Keiths guitar being up front in Sympathy so loud is good, but too much.

"Double Diaper" Ronnie, as Mick introduced him, seemed to even be playing better than last tour, glad to see him adjusting so well to sobriety.

I thought Chuck did good, but still hard to see anyone but Bobby on Sax, and the new chick on background vocals is good, but I think Lisa fits better, she seemed to know her place better.

On to day two...

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 23:36

Front row pit...last minutesmiling smiley

Posted by: funky415 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 23:39

Date: October 8, 2016 23:41

Hairball

Roger Waters' gigantic screen is unbelievably amazing!!!eye popping smiley

Shuttle to and from hotel was like being in summer camp filled with happy concert goers reveling in the excitement with the stereo blasting tunes from all bands on the bill. Jumped on the first shuttle at 1:30 to arrive their early and get the lay of the land. The festival grounds are literally like a mini village with different 'neighborhoods' to roam around for food, drinks, and an actual record store!!!, There was an amazing large air conditioned gallery showcasing a Photography exhibit from the best rock photographers in history. Filled with iconic photos of all the bands throughout their history (some I've never seen before), it was a good way to spend an hour out of the sun. There was also a large bar in the center of the gallery with couches, tables, etc, to lounge around. And speaking of couches, etc., there were many outdoor areas throughout the site designed for kicking back, eating drinking, etc. while sitting on 5 star quality furniture!

Once I scoped all that out, I made my way into the adjoining concert site itself which was insanely massive! The screen stood tall and proud like a beacon in the distance - it was surreal to enter the area with thousands of empty chairs, and a close to empty pit area. It's hard to describe the size of the place as it was so huge - not only far back, but the width from left to right. There must have been 100 yard distance between left and right grandstands, and from the stage to the rear of the GA it must have been twice that distance. With the giant stage screen along with giant 'smaller' screens for the GA folks, nobody would have a problem seeing what was happening on stage.

Pre-show early evening, the screen lit up with gigantic panoramic views of the Desert. The pre-filmed scenes reflected real time and changed accordingly. From blazing sunny mirages and scenic Desert landscapes, to the sunset lighting up the sky with purples, oranges, and pinks, to star filled darkness. If one stared at the screen, it was almost hard to differentiate that from what was happening in reality. When the sun finally set, so did the images on the screen with a dark starry desert night - shooting stars and all!

On with the show...

Dylan's set was absolutely great, and with the the gigantic screen as a backdrop it was visually stunning, not to mention the LOUD volume of the state of the art sound system. A brief segment of photos and clips of Dylan throughout his long career began the show when suddenly his band started cranking away. He opened with a rollicking bar room Rainy Day Women ?12 & 35 ("everybody must get stoned" ) which established his greatness to those who've never seen him, before moving forward and being his quirky self with re-intepretations of many of his songs (Don't Think Twice, It's All Right, Highway 61 Revisited, Tangled up in Blue, et al). Crispy clear close-ups of Dylan and band from different angles, along with vintage black and white news and film clips interspersed was the perfect backdrop for the old timer legend. Prior to his set, I wasn't sure how well he could pull it off in a giant festival setting. Probably not to everyone's liking, but he easily held his own and most of the crowd seemed to enjoy it to the end. As for me, I can honestly say it was one of the best Dylan experiences I've ever witnessed live.

After a brief intermission, it was time for the Stones. They utilized the screen and sound system to the fullest - their pre-show video intro was loud and visually stunning. Bursts of red and thundering booms, the stage was set for what some still refer to as 'worlds greatest rock and roll band' which they definitely once were. Opening with warhorse staple Start Me Up (not a personal favorite, but perfect choice for this type of crowd), the Stones put on a typical state of the art Stones show - warts and all. Ride 'Em on Down, was easily a top highlight, and I wish the set consisted of more of that, but dream on. Also a surprising cover of the Beatles' Come Together which should finally put the Stones/Beatles rivalry to rest - it was great homage to their brethren, albeit slightly sloppy and clunky. Midnight Rambler is what the Stones are all about in a live setting for me, and no doubt the nights ultmate highlight. No matter how many times I've seen the Stones (in small clubs, arenas, and stadiums), and just when I'm about to write them off as over the hill, faded, and shadows of their former selves - they can still deliver a somewhat memorable show (for what it's worth, it was much better than the San Diego opener I saw last tour). Sure Ronnie isn't the worlds greatest guitarist. Yes Keith has lost some of his mojo. Obviously Mick has lost a step or two in his energy. But Charlie remains the engine that keeps the band chugging, and because of that is probably the main reason why they're still worth seeing live.

Glad I didn't purchase a Pit upgrade as I was able to roam freely even finding some empty seats a few rows behind the Pit. As everyone was standing and the aisles were clogged during the Stones set, I bounced around and maneuvered here and there throughout the show. It was great to get up close, but it was also great to step back within the first 30 rows and absorb the visuals on the giant screen along the overall atmosphere of the entire site. And as someone with a bad knee, it was nice to have a chair to rest my bones every once in awhile.

If the festival was over last night, it would already stand as one of the best all around concert experiences I've ever been to. But we've only just begun. The bar has been set last night, and Neil Young should be explosive tonight, with Paul McCartney probably putting on one of the best shows he's ever done. And then there's tomorrow. The Who have some hard acts to follow, but am sure they'll give it their best shot. And then there will be the ultimate closing set of Roger Waters who will be basking in all the glory. For those who have been on the fence wondering if this event is worthwhile, I'd highly recommend going next weekend - especially when you can easily get tickets at heavily dicounted prices right now. Pit tickets are currently as low as $399 for next weekend....do it now!

It's still hard to fathom that all these acts are on the same bill - all of which are in my top 10 favorites for one reason or another or another (Beatles>Paul). And if this first weekend isn't enough to fulfill my rock and roll fantasy show, I always have next weekend to contend with. thumbs up

Great write-up. Thanks, Hairball! smileys with beer

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 8, 2016 23:48

Love this thread, interesting points from everybody.
Mini villages and air conditioning -- 'Toto, I have a feeling we're not at Altamont anymore.'

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 00:28

I guess if they continue to do CT that is another opportunity to take a leak (Piss You being the other). So THAT'S a positive

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 9, 2016 00:52

Great stuff, Hairball!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 9, 2016 00:58

Review: Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones, Electric, Not Just Nostalgic, at Desert Trip

By JON PARELES OCT. 8, 2016

Carlos Gonzalez for The New York Times

INDIO, CA — Two names from the baby-boomer pantheon, the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, opened the Desert Trip festival on Friday night, starting a weekend of six bands led by songwriters who first forged their reputations in the 1960s. Saturday brings Paul McCartney and Neil Young; Sunday, the Who and Roger Waters (whose 1960s band was Pink Floyd), and the whole lineup repeats next weekend.

Desert Trip, produced by the company behind the Coachella festival and held in the same place — but with a much less strenuous schedule and setup, including reserved seats with padded chairs — is an easy target for mockery. It was immediately dubbed Oldchella for its lineup of septuagenarians performing once-startling songs that are up to half a century old, to a crowd that can look pretty creaky when trying to dance.

But on opening night of Desert Trip, far more than nostalgia was in play. Only a handful of 1960s-era musicians can still regularly draw tens of thousands of people when they tour, and they are hardly content to be oldies acts. Mr. Dylan, who was never exactly a softhearted songwriter, now openly confronts both his crumbling voice and a treacherous world, while the Rolling Stones continue, stubbornly and miraculously, to romp across stages.

Both Mr. Dylan and the Stones hold on to a 1960s spirit of improvisation; with them, no two concerts are the same. If that means some imperfection during a set — a warm-up song or two, a scrape against vocal limitations, a collision of guitar parts — that’s a worthwhile price for spontaneity. On Friday night, both Mr. Dylan and the Stones had another 1960s keepsake in common, too: a deep grounding in the blues.

At first, Mr. Dylan seemed just gruffly professional. He opened his set with a longtime crowd-pleaser, “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35,” though it had more grievance in it than the droll original, along with some changed lyrics. A full-band version of “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right” made its kiss-off sound callously matter-of-fact, and Mr. Dylan rattled complacently through an upbeat “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue.”

But when Mr. Dylan moved out of 1960s songs with “High Water (For Charley Patton)” — Hurricane Matthew was hitting the Southeast — his voice dug in as an apocalyptic tone entered the set and stayed there. “Early Roman Kings,” a Chicago-style blues shuffle with thrusts of slide guitar, hurled brutal gangster boasts.” In “Lovesick,” the singer was betrayed and devastated; “Lonesome Day Blues” started with roadhouse bravado before turning into an inventory of dishonor and death. “Pay in Blood” from 2012 was a crisp, gory threat, and two of Mr. Dylan’s most accusatory 1960s songs, “Desolation Row” and “Ballad of a Thin Man,” were sped up but remained pitiless. His encore was a furious, unforgiving “Masters of War”: Mr. Dylan as moral scourge.

Mr. Dylan made few concessions to the festival setting, though he didn’t play a set dominated by Frank Sinatra covers, as he has been on the most recent leg of his current tour. As a rule he refuses permission to be photographed, but early in his set his stage image was enlarged on video screens, the only way for much of the Desert Trip audience to see him. That ended after a half-dozen songs, and scenes from black-and-white movies replaced Mr. Dylan onscreen. Even in the video-laden 21st century, Mr. Dylan was sticking to audio.

The Rolling Stones, meanwhile, are inveterate showmen who have been working two very different acts simultaneously through the decades. One is peripatetic: Mick Jagger’s stamina as he covers what must be miles of footsteps per show, roostering and gesticulating across a very wide stage with a runway into the audience — and singing nearly all the way, melodic and expressive. (Another of Mr. Jagger’s jobs is patter; moments after he promised not to make age jokes, he described the festival weekend as the “Palm Springs retirement home for genteel English musicians.”)

The Stones’ other act is a musicianly one: the band’s nightly variations on its songs, with an endless cat’s-cradle of exchanges between Keith Richards and Ron Wood on guitars over Charlie Watts’s impeccable drums and Darryl Jones’s bass. Mr. Richards usually has the gut-level rhythm parts while Mr. Wood takes the smoother high filigrees and slide-guitar wails. But there’s plenty of overlapping territory where anything can happen.

The songs themselves, by Mr. Jagger and Mr. Richards, are crucial. Whether or not the Stones had Oldchella in mind, Mr. Jagger opened the set singing about perseverance against the mortality: “Start Me Up,” “You Got Me Rocking,” and the funky 1997 song “Out of Control.” Eventually he moved on to immortal figures like Lucifer (“Sympathy for the Devil”) and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.”

Tucked into the set was a new old song: “Ride ‘Em On Down,” by Eddie Taylor. It’s a track on “Blue & Lonesome,” an album due Dec. 2 that consists of a dozen Stones remakes of blues songs. A new backup singer, Sasha Allen, delivered the raspy scream in “Gimme Shelter.” The Stones also played a Beatles song: “Come Together.” The sinewy riff suited Mr. Richards, though Mr. Jagger fudged some of the lyrics. Mr. McCartney, who was at the festival on Friday night, didn’t seize his chance at a cameo.

It took a few songs for the Stones to align; “Start Me Up” had some particularly precarious moments. But soon the band was remaking its songs from within. Mr. Richards put cunning rhythmic shifts in the skeletal, syncopated doublestops of “Honky Tonk Women,” and his lead in “Sympathy for the Devil” stabbed like a rusted switchblade. Mr. Richards and Mr. Wood brought whipsaw ups and downs to “Midnight Rambler” and honored the riffs of “Brown Sugar” while knocking them around just enough.

Stones songs like those have outlasted the taboos they once triggered; familiarity has replaced shock as the band’s fans have grown from their youth to parent- and grandparenthood. But onstage at Oldchella, the Rolling Stones still weren’t acting their age.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:01

Hairball

You're all welcome - good times!
As for tonight- I can probably sum it all up in one word (or name): NEIL

winking smiley

Hairball, can't wait for your review of this evening!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:03

Would love to hear Paul return the hat tip w a stones cover..
I would vote for Time is on my Side... winking smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:08

Date: October 8, 2016 22:15

Roger Waters' gigantic screen is unbelievably amazing!!!eye popping smiley.

Thank you. I stopped reading afer this.

GIGANTIC SCREEN... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAA thumbs down

Date: October 9, 2016 01:09

MisterDDDD
Would love to hear Paul return the hat tip w a stones cover..
I would vote for Time is on my Side... winking smiley

thumbs up

Or maybe a raucous Beatle-ized version of The Last Time segued in to Saw Her Standing There.
The skies the limit...looking forward to another great night.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home