Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Darryl Jones film campaign
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 21, 2016 10:22

[www.youtube.com]

Love to hear this guy play with Jeff Beck sometime.
audio not so good but he's really working it.

Date: December 21, 2016 11:06

hopkins
i'd like to see some footage of darryl performing with other people; i'll be following this and hope to really get a closer look at him outside his Stones life too.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2016 19:51

Not the clearest footage, but Darryl looks way more comfortable and in to the groove with Sting than he does when playing with the Stones.

Sting - Session with Darryl Jones - Bring on the night

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 21, 2016 21:47

Darryl's a jazz guy so that makes sense. Not much different than how Charlie is always more likely to smile when you see him play with his jazz quintet or tentet or his big band orchestra. It may not be the main gig, but it's their passion.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 22, 2016 11:38

Just a thought - People, including myself often compare DJ unfavorably with Wyman but there's a certain unwritten law in Stonesdom at play; people have a very hard time accepting the replacement of a classic and beloved player. DJ is great but he's replacing the great and beloved original bass man so many people won't totally accept him. Same goes for people who can't get over Mick Taylor. Even though he wasn't an original, he was a definite Stone during a classic and vital period.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: December 22, 2016 21:23

video: [www.youtube.com]

Stray Cat Blues

Date: December 23, 2016 12:25

roundnround
video: [www.youtube.com]

Stray Cat Blues

wow
spectacular start to finish. ty.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 23, 2016 14:26

Yes that's a very good example of the Stones as the live act they've become. The point Steve Jordan made is clear, and as Rocky Dijon also says. A different band.

The only time I can think of, with Bill, that he played anything like a bass solo was during some versions of 'Bitch' , in '71-'72.

And the age is left out in the more recent SCB versions..
smiling smiley

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 14:49

duke richardson
Yes that's a very good example of the Stones as the live act they've become. The point Steve Jordan made is clear, and as Rocky Dijon also says. A different band.

The only time I can think of, with Bill, that he played anything like a bass solo was during some versions of 'Bitch' , in '71-'72.

And the age is left out in the more recent SCB versions..
smiling smiley

Any opinion on music is subjective and individual. Steve Jordan went above and beyond that though, to the point where he was clearly going out of his way to dismiss Wyman as a dead weight. Has he heard Keith play recently? Steve clearly needs to revisit the glory years of the Stones.

I agree that Darryl is good but nowhere near the messiah that Jordan is portraying him as.

Date: December 23, 2016 15:46

No Steve has rocks in his head.
It wrecks any credibility to that point imo..they are still The Rolling Stones withorwithout the add ons or replacements...remember the horrible night when Ox died right before the tour began? All that complex Who stuff from so many different sources and deacdes? They didn't cancel the tour. I don't think they cancelled a gig actually. There's only four guys that are seriously irreplaceable imo. i hope this isn't offensive to anyone or unfair. I just think the point about this that keeps coming up that tends to legitimize Jordan sort of begs a little balance. I hope you don't mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-26 03:38 by hopkins.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 23, 2016 16:32

but i am never in my life ever gonna be in a room full of people, virtual or not, and listen to someone shit on my band. period.

well said Hopkins!

sc uk

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 23, 2016 18:25

I look at it this way. Steve Jordan first played with the Stones on DIRTY WORK. After that he co-wrote, co-produced, and was drummer on all three of Keith's solo albums. He's been fortunate enough to have co-writing credits on two Stones songs during those same three decades. His era of knowing the band outside of radio and records begins in 1985. I have never heard Steve claim he saw the Stones in concert. I know he says the Beatles and Stones were an influence, but chances are good he was not the biggest fan in the world. From that perspective, his believing a peer and close friend like Darryl is a better choice than Bill makes sense.

Me personally? I love Bill (including STEEL WHEELS / URBAN JUNGLE), but I'm not a musician. I do know I wasn't thrilled with the two song cameo at the O2. It wasn't that I thought Bill pulled them down, it was that I was hoping he would pull them back up. There are moments in the modern era I love, the "Stray Cat Blues" from 2003 is a good example, but overall my heart rests with the live era that ended with Stu's passing.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 24, 2016 15:02

<There are moments in the modern era I love, the "Stray Cat Blues" from 2003 is a good example, but overall my heart rests with the live era that ended with Stu's passing.>

Yep - that says how I feel as well. The classic era of live Stones ended for me with the 1981 - 82 tour. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing them again in 1989, 02, 05 & 06 but those shows were more a tribute to their past glories. In 1981, the glory was still a thing of the present moment.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 24, 2016 22:14

HonkeyTonkFlash
Just a thought - People, including myself often compare DJ unfavorably with Wyman but there's a certain unwritten law in Stonesdom at play; people have a very hard time accepting the replacement of a classic and beloved player. DJ is great but he's replacing the great and beloved original bass man so many people won't totally accept him. Same goes for people who can't get over Mick Taylor. Even though he wasn't an original, he was a definite Stone during a classic and vital period.

No, it's based on fact. Bill is a better rock and roll, and creative, bass player. His roots are stand up 50s rock and roll bass, the rest are his own musical talents. I thought, after listening to Voodoo Lounge, that the band would be okay, the bass wasn't bad. It wasn't better than Wyman, but at last it had that Stones punch. Then.........Darryl disappeared on Bridges to Babylon and the subsequent tour. He should have been replaced then. Since then his playing has had no deep effect on the Stones sound. He doesn't even try to replicate the classic sound. He's basically a ghost, contributing little that's memorable.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: February 2, 2017 23:17

Hi everybody - Just wanted to give you an update on the project. Things have been moving a little more slowly than we would like, but we are still moving ahead. We're hoping to film some recording sessions for Darryl's solo album soon if it works out.

We apologize for the delay in getting the rewards to people who contributed to the campaign. We are waiting for delivery of the items. Rest assured that we have not forgotten, and will get them to you soon!

Thank you for your support. We appreciate all of the great comments above, and we'll keep you posted as we move forward...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home