Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Darryl Jones film campaign
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 30, 2016 00:33

BluzDude
[www.youtube.com]

here he is with Waddy

smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2016 08:54

Boognish
24FPS
Bill Wyman is the 'Duck' Dunn of England.
In terms of sound or session work? If it's the latter, I would say someone like Herbie Flowers is more of a 'Duck' Dunn than Bill is.

I don't even know who Herbie Flowers is. I have been making a STAX compilation so I've been hearing a LOT of Dunn. And watching the STAX Tour of Europe '67 DVD, where Booker T. & the M.G.s back up everybody from Sam and Dave to Otis Redding. Watching, and listening to Dunn, I get that same feeling. He can play anything you put in front of him, like Bill. Dunn knew when to play, when to lay back, and he could say more in one well placed note than a whole afternoon of Stanley Clarke runs.

I also had the pleasure of receiving the 'Drinkin' TNT n' Smokin' Dynamite' DVD/CD set, where Muddy Waters requested and got Bill to back him up at Montreaux in '74. Dallas Taylor fills in nicely on drums but Bill is incredible. He doesn't even sound like Bill playing Stones bass. Which told me that Bill always knew exactly what he was doing. Anyone who doesn't have this fantastic collection, it also include Buddy Guy & Junior Wells, who also requested Bill and company as their backup when they heard he was on board.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 30, 2016 17:22

>> 'Drinkin' TNT n' Smokin' Dynamite' DVD/CD set, where Muddy Waters requested and got Bill to back him up at Montreaux in '74. Dallas Taylor fills in nicely on drums but Bill is incredible. He doesn't even sound like Bill playing Stones bass. Which told me that Bill always knew exactly what he was doing. Anyone who doesn't have this fantastic collection, it also include Buddy Guy & Junior Wells, who also requested Bill and company as their backup when they heard he was on board.<<

i will be getting this, thanks for mentioning it, 24FPS

the Buddy Guy/Jr Wells part of that is great, i gotta get this complete set.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 3, 2016 23:50

We interviewed Steve Jordan and Chuck Leavell last week for the film. Both very candid and very smart. They said a lot of interesting things about Darryl, the Stones and music in general. They are outspoken and fascinating people.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 3, 2016 23:53

roundnround
We interviewed Steve Jordan and Chuck Leavell last week for the film. Both very candid and very smart. They said a lot of interesting things about Darryl, the Stones and music in general. They are outspoken and fascinating people.

You've got an incredible array of people in the film. I'm not really a Darryl fan (nothing against him personally) but am looking forward to seeing the completed film. Did you guys ask Jagger for an interview?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-04 00:04 by Rollin92.

Date: October 4, 2016 02:30

We are hoping! I think you will become a Darryl fan when you see the film...

Date: October 26, 2016 02:36

video: [vimeo.com]

Here's a short clip of Chuck Leavell talking about Darryl and his groove. This is from our recent interview with him for our documentary. Please contribute to our Indiegogo project if you can! We will keep you posted with more clips soon...

Date: October 26, 2016 02:38

Darryl Jones film campaign link

P.S. Here's the link again for the Indiegogo campaign...

Date: October 29, 2016 00:25

Steve Jordan talks about Chuck Berry

In honor of Chuck Berry's recent 90th birthday, here's a clip of Steve Jordan talking about playing with Chuck at his 60th birthday concert... This is from our recent interview of Steve for the Darryl documentary... Steve is a brilliant and outspoken guy and a great interview...

Chuck Leavell on Darryl Jones and Bill Wyman
Date: November 10, 2016 04:03

Chuck Leavell on Darryl and Bill

Check out these comments from Chuck Leavell about Darryl Jones and Bill Wyman. From our upcoming documentary on Darry...

Re: Chuck Leavell on Darryl Jones and Bill Wyman
Date: November 10, 2016 04:06

And please contribute to the film if you can! Thanks!

Darryl film indiegogo project

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 10, 2016 07:55

Very cool to hear his insights.
Liked his comments near the end re Billy Preston as well; Implying that his moving around and demanding more of the spotlight being the reason he didn't stick with the band.. in a way explains his own longevity. Only so much spotlight to go around ..

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 10, 2016 11:23

Chuck, Stones historian and theorist... eye rolling smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 10, 2016 13:22

Thanks.
I wished he got into Darryl Jones and Bill Wyman different styles.
He says something about Billy Preston moving on stage with the keyboards..
"I think it was the reason Billy Preston wasn't there for a while".. Not sure it's a malicious or gentle comment

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 10, 2016 13:25

Pretty perceptive from Chuck I'd say - lets face it, he's played alongside Darryl for 23 years.

I saw Darryl at Ronnie Scotts this summer and he can play! very different style and set-up to the Stones, but that just shows his versatility. after the first set we had a brief chat and he was comparing the travel arrangements of a small Jazz tour to the Stones - chalk and cheese; very funny.

A very charming man, not star-struck at all, and a superb musician. and he had big boots to replace.

Date: November 10, 2016 13:33

thecitadel
Pretty perceptive from Chuck I'd say - lets face it, he's played alongside Darryl for 23 years.

I saw Darryl at Ronnie Scotts this summer and he can play! very different style and set-up to the Stones, but that just shows his versatility. after the first set we had a brief chat and he was comparing the travel arrangements of a small Jazz tour to the Stones - chalk and cheese; very funny.

A very charming man, not star-struck at all, and a superb musician. and he had big boots to replace.

He did indeed. This was recently brought home to me by listening to Bill's bass on the version of Beast of Burden played at his recent 80th gig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-10 13:34 by Rollin92.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 10, 2016 13:59

Rollin92
thecitadel

He did indeed. This was recently brought home to me by listening to Bill's bass on the version of Beast of Burden played at his recent 80th gig.

Would you have a source on Youtube, please?

Date: November 10, 2016 15:12

Darryl is brilliant on the Miles Davis-albums he played on. Of course he can play different stuff.

Regarding Chuck, it's not usual that sideman reveals stuff that's going on in a band they're not members of, or talk extensively about it.

I don't mind that at all. On the contrary, I think it's interesting. However, I understand that fans may react to it.

Date: November 10, 2016 15:30

The Joker
Rollin92
thecitadel

Would you have a source on Youtube, please?

I was at the concert itself.

Date: November 11, 2016 05:12

DandelionPowderman
Darryl is brilliant on the Miles Davis-albums he played on. Of course he can play different stuff.

Regarding Chuck, it's not usual that sideman reveals stuff that's going on in a band they're not members of, or talk extensively about it.

I don't mind that at all. On the contrary, I think it's interesting. However, I understand that fans may react to it.

That's why we are doing the film. You are going to see a lot of surprising and candid comments from people. We will keep posting clips from time to time...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 11, 2016 10:01

On both subjects Chuck is wrong though....Jones did not try to sound or play anything like Wyman for most of the time. That wasn't what he was hired to do anyway. His job was to be solid and reliable, to really be the basic foundation. It isn't for the last few years that he sounds and plays a bit more like Wyman, trying short scale basses etc.

Preston left because he demanded more money, simple as that. Preston was the reason the release of Love You Life was delayed.

Mathijs

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: November 16, 2016 20:44

roundnround--when do you anticipate the movie being released/available? Thanks.

Date: November 19, 2016 01:45

Hopefully by end of next year. We'll keep you posted. Thanks

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 19, 2016 06:59

I wonder if he's talked to Pino Palladino from The Who about 'replacing the irreplaceable' on bass

...or the guy from 80's/90's Pink Floyd

...or the new guy in YES

...or all those bass guys in the Allman Brothers (actually, I think they're all dead except for the last one)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-19 07:00 by mosthigh.

Date: November 24, 2016 08:31

mosthigh
I wonder if he's talked to Pino Palladino from The Who about 'replacing the irreplaceable' on bass

We have not talked to Pino directly, but he happened to phone Steve Jordan while we were interviewing him. He told Steve that he is a great admirer of Darryl's bass playing, and that he relates to him strongly. Pino said it is difficult to be in their positions in a "legacy" band because many people find it hard to accept a successor to their favorite bass player no matter what they do...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 24, 2016 08:47

"The only cloud on the horizon last year, putting all this together, was changing the bass playing. You know, 30 years, the same rhythm section - this is a major upheaval. But in actual fact, it went smooth. We played with a lot of great guys, and eventually I said to Charlie, You decide... And he said, You bastard, you put me in the hot seat! And I said, Yeah, for ONCE, Charlie, once in 30 years, you're going to be the supreme judge on this. Mick and I will say what we think. Because they were all such good players and hey, you're playing a couple of hours with a guy and then another. It's so difficult to tell... So to get to that question - why Darryl (Jones) - I think that 5 years (playing) with Miles Davis didn't hurt as far as Charlie Watts is concerned! Because Charlie, being a jazz drummer himself, you know... I mean, to Charlie, rock and roll is part of jazz, and it still has to swing. So in a way one of the best decisions I made last year was to leave the actual choice up to Charlie"
Keith Richards, June 1994

Are there Charlie's comments about Darryl?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-24 08:49 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 24, 2016 10:53

<Are there Charlie's comments about Darryl?[/quote]>

What are your observations on playing with Darryl Jones?

– Very easy. And I don’t mean that comfortably easy; I mean, he’s very comfortable to play with. He’s a rhythm section player. Well, the role he plays with us, he’s doing that. I don’t know how he would play if he were in a different type of band. Someone as talented as Darryl could play anything. That’s what being a professional musician is about – one side of it is being able to do these things. With us, he’s very quick to pick things up, very much a rhythm section within a rhythm section. He doesn’t play on top of the rhythm; he’s underneath it, which is what we need, really. Foundation.

You can’t have someone playing over the top, because there’s no room then. There is nothing at the bottom and no room for anybody else. So I actually find him very comfortable to play with. He’s a very nice man as well, which is half of it. When we did the auditions, I’d never auditioned people before, for anything – I haven’t. We auditioned them, and there were lots of guys, you know. We landed with three or four, and really it was a question . . . You know, there is a certain caliber of musician that could do the job. It’s then a question of, do you think – and then you hope – that you can get on with this guy. For the next two years, you’ve got to be together. And he seems very nice. Well, he is very nice.

Bill Wyman has said that the difference between the Rolling Stones and other rock bands is that the Stones follow the rhythm guitarist, who is Keith Richards.

– Yeah. Yeah, I always do. I don’t need to hear the rest of the band if Keith is there. I mean, now it’s different because you have PAs that are so good, but at one time that’s all I could ever hear. I used to have the amplifier right next to me. I still do, but it was essential at one time, when you didn’t have any monitors or they were really not very good.

Keith’s sometimes been accused of turning the beat around.

– That’s because we all . . . I mean, the thing with me and Keith is that we just have a go at things, and sometimes they work. I mean, analyzing it all after is another thing, and that’s for somebody else to do. We just enjoy playing, and I just follow what he’s doing.

From [jasobrecht.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 24, 2016 11:12

DandelionPowderman
<Are there Charlie's comments about Darryl?
>

What are your observations on playing with Darryl Jones?

– Very easy. And I don’t mean that comfortably easy; I mean, he’s very comfortable to play with. He’s a rhythm section player. Well, the role he plays with us, he’s doing that. I don’t know how he would play if he were in a different type of band. Someone as talented as Darryl could play anything. That’s what being a professional musician is about – one side of it is being able to do these things. With us, he’s very quick to pick things up, very much a rhythm section within a rhythm section. He doesn’t play on top of the rhythm; he’s underneath it, which is what we need, really. Foundation.

You can’t have someone playing over the top, because there’s no room then. There is nothing at the bottom and no room for anybody else. So I actually find him very comfortable to play with. He’s a very nice man as well, which is half of it. When we did the auditions, I’d never auditioned people before, for anything – I haven’t. We auditioned them, and there were lots of guys, you know. We landed with three or four, and really it was a question . . . You know, there is a certain caliber of musician that could do the job. It’s then a question of, do you think – and then you hope – that you can get on with this guy. For the next two years, you’ve got to be together. And he seems very nice. Well, he is very nice.

Bill Wyman has said that the difference between the Rolling Stones and other rock bands is that the Stones follow the rhythm guitarist, who is Keith Richards.

– Yeah. Yeah, I always do. I don’t need to hear the rest of the band if Keith is there. I mean, now it’s different because you have PAs that are so good, but at one time that’s all I could ever hear. I used to have the amplifier right next to me. I still do, but it was essential at one time, when you didn’t have any monitors or they were really not very good.

Keith’s sometimes been accused of turning the beat around.

– That’s because we all . . . I mean, the thing with me and Keith is that we just have a go at things, and sometimes they work. I mean, analyzing it all after is another thing, and that’s for somebody else to do. We just enjoy playing, and I just follow what he’s doing.

From [jasobrecht.com][/quote]

thumbs up
Thanks DP!

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 25, 2016 05:11

I see why the Stones chose Darryl. And Darryl was not a risky choice at all. But I've always felt that Darryl was meant to do something more than what he does in the Stones. The Stones doesn't require much from Darryl. Honestly, I think it's a bit of a lazy job for all sidemen working for the Stones, and it pays well... I loved Billy Preston or Ollie Brown and all those cats, because they were wild and in a way they challenged the Stones. Stu, Nicky, Ian, Billy and many more were people who actually contributed something extra, unexpected to the songs.

If one day Darryl would be outta the band, nobody would miss him. Some wouldn't even notice he is gone. Don't mean to be mean. It's a fact. And it's more the Stones' fault than Darryl's...

A good example where Darryl was not just a hired hand was him playing with Sting. That band REALLY needed what Darryl could bring to the music and to the songs. Watch Bring On The Night! I just love Darryl in it and I love the whole movie! Superb concert film. Very personal and down-to-Earth movie. It really felt like BAND! I don't feel or see that sort of connection between Darryl and the Stones... But as Charlie and a whole lotta people said: the Stones needed someone who doesn't shine too much, just brings a solid foundation.

Ask Sting about working with Darryl, and why he chose him.

Also, I would interview people who auditioned for the Stones, but didn't get the job. I would love to hear what they have to say about the Stones inner workings.

Also, you might wanna ask Doug Wimbish who played with Jagger (on tour, and than later on Sweet Thing). Doug is a very-very close friend with Bernard Fowler, and he is a bass master. I think he is very easy to reach. (I can help with a contact to Doug.)

And how about Stanley Clark who was the most unlikely bass player Keef had ever hired! And he fit in perfectly! Perfectly! A bad ass. I am curious what he thinks about Darryl, the Stones and playing with the New Barbarians. He must know a few things...

I am not sure what happened prior to the O2 gig where Bill Wyman joined the Stones for 2 songs... but it turned out a bitter sweet experience for all the people involved. Bill is very bitter about it.

I've always wondered if Darryl could have just said to the guys that he wants Bill to play the whole show. If I were in his shoes I would have stepped aside for the sake of the FANS, and not necessarily for the sake of Bill. I can't help, but think that Darryl could have stood up for Bill in that situation. And I can't help, but in part blame Darryl for what happened. (And to make the situation even more humiliating Bill had to use Darryl's amplifier!)

And the one guy I would NOT interview is Bill Wyman. Understandably it would deepen the fraction between the Stones and Bill.

But I would love to hear/see a part where they get into technical details about his playing. I can't play any instruments myself, but I would love to know what makes him different compared to other players in a technical sense...

Billy Wyman about Darryl: "He plays completely differently from me. He plays with his fingers, hard, I play with my thumb, lightly." “They never wanted me to leave. When I came off stage and went to join my wife and daughters in the pit, the bass player started doing Miss You! He’s playing all my parts — and not as well as I thought he should. He’s playing the octaves as single notes. And then Mick starts saying what a great bass player he is, right in front of me. ‘Look at Darryl, isn’t he fantastic?’ goes Mick.”

[Bill on Darryl]

It sounds like the movie will be a celebration of Darryl, but it would be nice to spice it up a bit with some "critical" (dare I say, controversial) comments about Darryl. A dramatic element... I mean is everyone happy with Darryl being in the Stones? No! Definitely not! Do most people think he is the right guy for the Stones? No! Definitely not! And if your movie ignores this side of Darryl's legacy, I'd feel it doesn't show the whole picture...

BTW, is Darryl into working out? Look at that skinny boy in Bring On The Night!!! And look at that HUGE guy now! Or he just eats too much??? eye popping smiley

And my final question is -- and this is the biggest question I have: Why on Earth are you making a movie about Darryl and NOT Wyman??? A movie on Wyman? The guy who played with everyone from Dr. John to Howlin' Wolf? The guy who is one of the most respected bass players ever! Now that would be SOMETHING!!! Please don't answer this one! This is more like a shout in the dark...

Bob Dylan: “I’m not saying they don’t keep going, but they need Bill. Without him they’re a funk band. They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.”

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVIE! I am looking forward to seeing it! I really am! hot smiley

And thanks for keeping us posted about it! Love the little videos you have posted!

Frankie

Date: November 25, 2016 07:40

Frankie - Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. They are helpful... To answer your last question, someone else is already making a documentary about Bill Wyman in England. I posted a link previously. I believe it will be out sometime soon.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home