Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Infamy
Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 29, 2005 15:41

Really love the groove this track displays (plus that harp!). Wondering if I'm one of the few who likes this tune? Haven't seen alot of commentary on this one. Refreshing to see Keith in this mode with this song.

Re: Infamy
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 29, 2005 18:22

definitely sounds like more of a Keith solo album kinda track. Reminds me of Rockawhile. More of a song "sketch" than a song, which is typical of Keith solo tunes. From the 8/21 version, I believe this works well live, too....

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 30, 2005 01:36

Well, let's face it - and deep inside you know I'm right: INFAMY is a downright bullshit piece of music. Can't even name it a "song". It's so weak it shudders me. The only reason why people bother with it is that it is labelled "Keith Richards", so it "must be good somehow" - that's the trick. The days of "You Got The Silver", "Happy", "Coming Down Again", "Little T & A", even most of his solo stuff, are -obviously- long gone. THIS PLACE IS EMPTY is much better, though. Even reminds me of "We Had It All". But Infamy is a stinker. Pure filler. Live it sounds even worser - like a sick cat crooning over an indistinct and totally uninteresting backing track. Wonder why the other boys let this happen.

Date: August 30, 2005 01:41

tell us what you really think, doggy?

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: August 30, 2005 01:43

I really like Infamy and I think is better then This Place is Empty. Infamy is a typical solo Keith song like Sweet neo Con is typical Jagger. But what of them do you prefer?

Date: August 30, 2005 01:49

I've told ya what I really think about this track! stillife, in this case I prefer Sweet Neo-Con, but just because it's slightly better than Infamy. Reading between the lines I guess you figured out that I regard these songs as the weakest Bigger Bangs... The two weakest songs of an otherwise strooooooong album, that is...

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: August 30, 2005 01:50

DonĀ“t like this very much at all.. one of his least interesting songs in the last 20 years.

Date: August 30, 2005 01:51

retired_dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've told ya what I really think about this track!
>

perhaps I could interest you in a sense of humor...

Date: August 30, 2005 01:57

Well, I say what I think, I say what I feel, I'm mean and I'm loud, I'm a dog and I'm proud. Woof,Woof!
(Just to prove that I've got some sense of humour)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2005 02:00

Yeah what do ya prefer Walking The Dog or Bitch?

ROCKMAN

Date: August 30, 2005 02:03

Now we're talking, Rockman! Can't decide, both are great tunes. Well, sometimes I need a dirty bitch, and other times I'm just walking the dog.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2005 02:05

Aw yeah that's it .....Dogs begin to bark and hounds begin to howl

ROCKMAN

Date: August 30, 2005 02:08

Can only agree, Rockman!

Date: August 30, 2005 02:12

Any way, just wanted to add that Infamy's a stinker. Sorry Keith, you can do better (at least you could).

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 30, 2005 02:22

Ha! About time you came out of retirement at last...

Date: August 30, 2005 02:31

Funny how folks are divided on this tune. It's pretty much Keith doing what Keith does - I can only imagine its detractors don't like most of Main Offender and TIC either....

Date: August 30, 2005 02:42

Well, T&A, it's not as easy as you put it. I love his solo albums, and although especially Main Offender has some weaker tunes even those weaker tunes never reach the same low level as Infamy. Infamy is just ... nothing. A jam groove, and Keith just singing (well...) something over it. No melody to speak of. If that's really Keith doing what Keith does I regret to say I would not listen to Keith at all. But that's not the case. As I've said already, he can do (much) better...at least he could. But then, there's The Place Is Empty. Although I feel he's basically doing too much ballads in recent years (in case he did anything at all), now THAT'S a good one.

Date: August 30, 2005 03:58

retired_dog Wrote:
> Well, let's face it - and deep inside you know I'm
> right: INFAMY is a downright bullshit piece of
> music. Can't even name it a "song". It's so weak
> it shudders me. The only reason why people bother
> with it is that it is labelled "Keith Richards",
> so it "must be good somehow" - that's the trick.
> The days of "You Got The Silver", "Happy", "Coming
> Down Again", "Little T & A", even most of his
> solo stuff, are -obviously- long gone. THIS PLACE
> IS EMPTY is much better, though. Even reminds me
> of "We Had It All". But Infamy is a stinker. Pure
> filler. Live it sounds even worser - like a sick
> cat crooning over an indistinct and totally
> uninteresting backing track. Wonder why the other
> boys let this happen.

GD Damn! This is one pissed off dog! Sounds like you're a bit of a nostalgic? Do you fondly piss and moan about girlfriends in high school that got away on you (much like remembering "the days of You got the silver, happy", etc.)

Cripes, I was just noting that I enjoyed the overall groove and harp - said nothing about the second coming of Little T&A!

I'm just happy as hell to hear a Richards tune that I'm sure (when I get the disc) I'll turn up and jam rolling on down the road.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 30, 2005 05:08

after listening to the whole album i actually thought this one was the weakest track on it along with Neo con. I will probably have another opinion in another week.

Date: August 30, 2005 11:27

crossfire, it's not about pissing and moaning about girlfriends in highschool that got away on me, it's simply all about expressing my thoughts concerning Infamy. If you believe that anything Keith does must be good somehow because it's Keith, fine with me. I'm past that age. Infamy is, in my opinion, one of those songs that, performed by any other artist, no one would take notice of.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: August 30, 2005 11:48

Sorry but i think that Infamy is dreadful - where did Keith get this one from? Well perhaps from the famous comedy line spoken by Kenneth Williams in Carry On Cleo "Infamy ,Infamy they,ve all got it infamy!!"

Is it obligatory for Keith to have two vocal spots on every new Stones album because his tracks always sound like average Keith solo material and no longer like Stones tracks. Lets face it 20 years ago Mick would have turned round to Keith and said that Infamy was a crock of shit and not going on the album. The worst aspect is that he is performing this travesty of a song live when we should be hearing superior Keith material like Happy, BTMMR, Connection, You Got the Silver or even better another song from Bigger Bang.

Sorry Keith if this is the best you can come up with in the last 8 years then i should give up mate.

Andy

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2005 12:14

nashville Wrote:
> Sorry but i think that Infamy is dreadful - where
> did Keith get this one from? Well perhaps from the
> famous comedy line spoken by Kenneth Williams in
> Carry On Cleo "Infamy ,Infamy they,ve all got it
> infamy!!"

thats exactly where it came from...

>
> Is it obligatory for Keith to have two vocal spots
> on every new Stones album

well, he had THREE on the last one...

Posted by: stupid girl ()
Date: August 30, 2005 12:17

I only listened to the complete album once, but so far I like This Place Is Empty better than Infamy.

Didn't really catch the lyrics of Infamy this only time around, but to met it sounded more like "she's got it In For Me" (not: infamy), so what's he singing there anyway?

I guess I'll have to listen a few more times before I can decide whether I could grow to like it or not. Maybe there's some funny sense of humor in there that I didn't get.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: August 30, 2005 12:21

That is exactly it - the hook of the song is lifted from an old movie gag in a British "Carry On" film and they probably nicked it from some music hall act in the 1930s.

Andy

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 30, 2005 12:33

keith needs to stop these crooning ballads and go back in a place in time where
he and steve jordan wrote some good songs on talk is cheap and main offender.

Date: August 30, 2005 12:34

Welllll nashville, I'm sorry but I'm glad he's not doing BTMMR or Happy... you can't keep on recycling, can you? Let's be glad there's finally something new... but I have to confess I haven't heard Infamy yet.

Date: August 30, 2005 12:48

Berber Jewelry Man Wrote:
> Welllll nashville, I'm sorry but I'm glad he's not
> doing BTMMR or Happy... you can't keep on
> recycling, can you? Let's be glad there's finally
> something new... but I have to confess I haven't
> heard Infamy yet.

Listen to Infamy first... I'll bet my ass that after this listening experience you come to the conclusion that it's better to recycle old stuff if you cannot come up with some decent new stuff. Regarding Infamy, I'm not glad just because "there's finally something new". This doesn't work for me. I'm always glad when they're (or Keith in this case) going to release new stuff, but in the end this "new stuff" is music, and I either like it or not.

Date: August 30, 2005 16:11

retired_dog Wrote:
> crossfire, it's not about pissing and moaning
> about girlfriends in highschool that got away on
> me, it's simply all about expressing my thoughts
> concerning Infamy. If you believe that anything
> Keith does must be good somehow because it's
> Keith, fine with me. I'm past that age. Infamy is,
> in my opinion, one of those songs that, performed
> by any other artist, no one would take notice of.

Hey doggie,

Just kidding about the girlfriends in high school thing. Was trying to come up with a suitable metaphor to parallel your example and that was the best I could come up with at the time.

BTW, believing "that anything Keith does must be good somehow because it's
Keith" is definitely not me pal. And I'm glad you're past that age too- because being older and wiser beyond everyone's years is definitely where its at smiling smiley! In fact I'm more the opposite, just thought this track had a catchy groove and nice harp line THAT's ALL I promise... And I didn't think we come to this board to express views on how other folks would perform keith songs? I'm perfectly fine with Keith performing Keith.

Incidently, I would definitely like to hear YGTS over this track in Detroit on Wed.

Date: August 30, 2005 16:26

In a perfect world, Keith would create his setlist from a staple of songs like Happy, Before They Make Me Run, You Got The Silver, Coming Down Again, Little T&A, Connection and the like (= 1 warhorse every night) and 1 from the newer stuff like The Worst, Place Is Empty and so on ... and even throw in Run Rudolph Run occasionally around Christmas time as a special surprise...

So far it's the same two songs every night = so far it's not a perfect world.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2005 17:24

in fairness to Keith, hes usually more likely to make more changes in HIS 2-song set than Mick does in about 18-19 of his in a stadium show (the four UK stadium shows in '99 being a perfect example). I'm sure that in the next few shows, he'll change things around a bit

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home