Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Selected Compilations-Talk: Rolled Gold – The Very Best Of The Rolling Stones
Date: August 19, 2016 12:37

Rolled Gold – The Very Best Of The Rolling Stones

Released: 15 November 1975
Recorded: 1963–1969
Label: Decca
Producer: Andrew Loog Oldham, Jimmy Miller, The Rolling Stones

What are your thoughts on this compilation?

Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Rolled Gold – The Very Best Of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 19, 2016 13:23

Hard to beat it. Great track selection.

Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Rolled Gold – The Very Best Of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 19, 2016 13:34

My third Stones compilation after "Through the past, Darkly" and "High Tide and Green Grass". Great track selection. Reminds me of "good old Stones days".

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 19, 2016 15:23

My first Stones album,must have been in '76 when I bought it.
Still have it and played it over and over again back then.
40 years...time flies...

Date: August 19, 2016 15:34

It was the first compilation I bought myself. I already had cassette recordings of Milestones and 20 Super Hits + a cassette release of Solid Rock.

In the early 80s I listened to Rolled Gold over and over again. A lovely compilation, from the brilliant music, the album cover and the inner sleeve «booklet» etc. Great stuff! Always prefered this one to Hot Rocks, but that probably has to do with getting this one first smiling smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 19, 2016 16:15

Very hard to compete with.
"Hot Rocks" must come closest, followed by "Jump Back".

As with "Hot Rocks" ommiting "The Last Time" (and therefore holding it back from being the definitive 60's statement), "Rolled Gold" ommiting "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Mother's Little Helper" are strange.

However, the expanded version "Rolled Gold+" from 2007 comes to terms with 12 extra songs.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: August 19, 2016 16:38

If I think about compilations of the Decca/London period, Nothing can beat "Hot Rocks" + "More Hot Rocks".
But this "Rolled Gold" have a very, very beautiful front cover. The faces of 6 stones, just like "Metamorphosis"
The picture on the back cover is from Lyon 1970.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 19, 2016 16:52

Blueranger
Very hard to compete with.
"Hot Rocks" must come closest, followed by "Jump Back".

As with "Hot Rocks" ommiting "The Last Time" (and therefore holding it back from being the definitive 60's statement), "Rolled Gold" ommiting "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Mother's Little Helper" are strange.

However, the expanded version "Rolled Gold+" from 2007 comes to terms with 12 extra songs.

Ommiting MLH and YCAGWYW is not "strange" - blame it on the vinyl time constrictions!

However, they could have used the shortened Out Of Time to squeeze at least MLH in.

That said, it's a killer compilation. It was very popular back then - and quite rightfully so!

And Rolled Gold+ from 2007 is simply ace.

Date: August 19, 2016 16:52

LiveAtHidepark
If I think about compilations of the Decca/London period, Nothing can beat "Hot Rocks" + "More Hot Rocks".
But this "Rolled Gold" have a very, very beautiful front cover. The faces of 6 stones, just like "Metamorphosis"

What make them superior to Rolled Gold and Rolled Gold, Vol. 2, in your opinion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-19 17:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 19, 2016 17:03

shortfatfanny
40 years...time flies...

thumbs up Exactly the same for me! Hahaha!
I was 12 years old in 1976. We are life long Stonesfans! smileys with beer

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 19, 2016 17:21

This original is the best ever Stones compilation album.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 19, 2016 18:05

Although I never bought it it's a great compilation spans perfectly their carrier.......(I already had all the songs)

Date: August 19, 2016 18:32

RipThisBone
shortfatfanny
40 years...time flies...

thumbs up Exactly the same for me! Hahaha!
I was 12 years old in 1976. We are life long Stonesfans! smileys with beer

I was 12 ,too ...winking smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: August 19, 2016 19:41

Played this to death this is the album that got me startedsmiling smiley))

John

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: August 19, 2016 20:23

LiveAtHidepark

The expanded Rolled Gold contains all of the tracks on Hot Rocks and about half of More Hot Rocks minus the rarities. However, Rolled Gold also adds some tracks that do not appear on Hot Rocks or More Hot Rocks like Little Red Rooster, Carol, Yesterday's Papers and I Wanna Be Your Man so I like the expanded Rolled Gold as an Abkco retrospective better.

Date: August 19, 2016 22:29

Rolled Gold, Volume 2 has tracks not featured on More Hot Rocks as well..

Posted by: rpc2uk ()
Date: August 19, 2016 22:31

I'm from the UK and grew up listening to this album, therefore it is the best compilation of the early material because it brings back great memories.
I'm sure people from USA who grew up listening to Hot Rocks prefer that compilation.

I bought a turntable a few months back and one of the first albums I re-bought was Rolled Gold. It was such a good feeling having that record in my hands again. I'd forgotten how great the cover was.

Out of interest what is the difference between the DECCA labels on the early UK pressings? I've seen pale blue, dark blue and black labels all with ROST1/2 as the catalogue number. All are from 1975 in the UK.

Date: August 19, 2016 23:31

DandelionPowderman
LiveAtHidepark

What make them superior to Rolled Gold and Rolled Gold, Vol. 2, in your opinion?

boogaloojef
LiveAtHidepark

The expanded Rolled Gold contains all of the tracks on Hot Rocks and about half of More Hot Rocks minus the rarities. However, Rolled Gold also adds some tracks that do not appear on Hot Rocks or More Hot Rocks like Little Red Rooster, Carol, Yesterday's Papers and I Wanna Be Your Man so I like the expanded Rolled Gold as an Abkco retrospective better.

Why I prefer HR & MHR ? I could easily explain it in my natural language in 15 or 20 lines, but in english it's not so easy for me. And it have something to do with nostalgia ...

(the new 2CD Rolled Gold have such an horrible front cover - I bought it, checked it to add informations in my data-base, and it's now taking dust on the shelves for eternity - just because of the cover ...)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 19, 2016 23:37

DandelionPowderman

Volume 2 wasn't widely released. As far as I know it was only issued in Germany but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
What's certain is that it was never released in the UK.
[www.discogs.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-19 23:39 by Deltics.

Date: August 19, 2016 23:49

You are true Deltics, Volume 2 is a unique German release.

here is a (poor quality is a result of the light reflecting on the protective plastic sleeves ... sorry) picture of the 23 HR I have, 16 are US London, including 2 with the BS/WH alternates.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: August 20, 2016 00:22

Deltics
DandelionPowderman

Volume 2 wasn't widely released. As far as I know it was only issued in Germany but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
What's certain is that it was never released in the UK.
[www.discogs.com]

Some of the tracks from Volume 2 on Rolled Gold ended up on the 2 cd version with bonus tracks when it was reissued.

Date: August 20, 2016 00:32

LiveAtHidepark
DandelionPowderman
LiveAtHidepark

boogaloojef
LiveAtHidepark

Why I prefer HR & MHR ? I could easily explain it in my natural language in 15 or 20 lines, but in english it's not so easy for me. And it have something to do with nostalgia ...

(the new 2CD Rolled Gold have such an horrible front cover - I bought it, checked it to add informations in my data-base, and it's now taking dust on the shelves for eternity - just because of the cover ...)

The new RG is way different..

Date: August 20, 2016 01:04

Date: August 20, 2016 01:11

That is really horrid!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 20, 2016 01:15

Deltics
That is really horrid!

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 20, 2016 01:32

was my 2nd ever stones album, bought in may 1988 only 5 months after buying my first
which was love you live.

loved the front cover, and the fact it was so different from love you live and at this early stage as a stones fan i could see the depth of their qualities.

i dont have these tapes anymore and although i bought rolled gold vinyl, i lost it many years ago.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 20, 2016 03:18

DandelionPowderman
It was the first compilation I bought myself. I already had cassette recordings of Milestones and 20 Super Hits + a cassette release of Solid Rock.

In the early 80s I listened to Rolled Gold over and over again. A lovely compilation, from the brilliant music, the album cover and the inner sleeve «booklet» etc. Great stuff! Always prefered this one to Hot Rocks, but that probably has to do with getting this one first smiling smiley

+1. My dad bought this, soon after its release in around 1976. He's still got it somewhere. Back then, he Used to play it when he had people round for a few late night refreshments winking smiley I, then 9 listened upstairs, captivated. loved the cover, inner sleeve and sleeve notes and became fascinated by them. I'd always liked the Beatles since I was about 6 but this 'other' harder sounding band just intrigued me. I got a cassette copy of it in my late teens and I played it ceaselessly.

So it would be true to say that this is the very compilation that got me into the band.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2016 18:32

It was a UK only release, right? That probably explains why people in NA prefer HOT ROCKS.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 20, 2016 18:47

I can see that it was a handy compilation for people who did not have all those songs. For older fans it was just another Klein repackaging intended to cash in on the tour, which is how it was received back then

Date: August 20, 2016 19:25

GasLightStreet
It was a UK only release, right? That probably explains why people in NA prefer HOT ROCKS.

Not just the UK, it was also released in other European countries as well as Australia. [www.discogs.com]
We never got Hot Rocks in the UK until the advent of the Compact Disc so this was the first (Decca) career spanning collection to be issued here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-20 19:46 by Deltics.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home